Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

I interpreted your "attack" on Anita by saying she's abusive as a justification of Gamergate actions, and your pejorative dismissal of all of us people making fun of gamer gate (aka normal rational people) as being "morally superior" as implicit endorsement of Gamergate. If that is incorrect then I apologize.

Check PMs I'm not derailing this thread further.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Have you guys done any more rolling out of Windows 10? I'm not on the PC side where I work but as far as I know they aren't testing it yet even (which doesn't really mean anything, because I don't know what they do all day).

It's been pretty great on my home pc.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

myron cope posted:

Have you guys done any more rolling out of Windows 10? I'm not on the PC side where I work but as far as I know they aren't testing it yet even (which doesn't really mean anything, because I don't know what they do all day).

It's been pretty great on my home pc.

I know a lot of people are trepidatious about it, at least until the first big update rolls out this november. That's when we're going to start really looking into it in earnest over here. I'm loving it on my work laptop and home PC.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

FISHMANPET posted:

Oh hey, someone else trying to shoehorn agile methodologies into sysadmin work!

I went through quite a bit of that as I tried to implement ~literally any form of project management whatsoever~ and ended up with a kind of pseudo kanban. The important thing to remember is that 99% of the advice you're going to find is about software development. A single team will work on a single project and so the entirety of their work can end up on a single board. There's also much less reactive work in development than there is in IT work (especially if you're putting user requests into your work pipeline).

Maybe it's the development model here (standups at least weekly upstream, tickets filed for RFEs, etc), but I find Cantas/Trello more trouble than they're worth as a single team working on a single project. Probably they're more valuable for our PMs who are trying to make some sense out of 6+ teams working on one layered product, but I don't know.

I would have killed for it as a systems engineer doing work that involved database/dev teams, though, to let me know what their status was on various issues for upcoming projects. Dev almost always waited until a week before the deadline to start making progress, and I suspect they didn't even start on it until then (because of other issues or whatever), but I never knew.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
42 new posts within like an hour is DAF back or WHAT

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

crunk dork posted:

42 new posts within like an hour is DAF back or WHAT

We had a quick discussion on Gun Control, Israel/Palestine, Government Funded Abortions, and police brutality.

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006
i cant read anything that says video game journalism without busting out laughing

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

crunk dork posted:

i cant read anything that says video game journalism without busting out laughing

THERE'S A TEAR IN YOUR SUIT! IT'S GOT YOU!

goobernoodles
May 28, 2011

Wayne Leonard Kirby.

Orioles Magician.
I was looking for something quick and effective for entering, categorizing and prioritizing requests, to-do items and projects. I'm hoping to also be able to use the same system for repeat processes that involve other departments, that always get screwed up, namely on-boarding of new employees and terminations. If I can get that working well, I would think it could potentially be of use elsewhere in the company. My company basically has a paper operations manual that no one really reads unless they're not sure if they'd get fired for doing something, with few real "business processes." The way people, departments and entire offices operate varies wildly which ends up with tons of bullshit. I'd like to try help solve some of those issues if at all possible. To me it appears something like Jira/Confluence or... Trello + Confluence/Other Wiki, etc might be exactly what we need.

I'm also the only IT dude here with little exposure to seeing how other companies in my position handle those issues, so maybe I'm trying to use the wrong tool for the job. It's 32 minutes past beer time. TIME TO PLAY SOME LADDER GOLF.

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

In an interstellar burst I'm back to save the universe!
I don't know which "issue" is more of a non-issue -

A) Gamergate

or

B) "Micro Aggressions"

Both are invented by privileged white people who spend way too much time on the Internet.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
And now I have to ask what a micro-aggression is. Do we have a new standard of measurement for anger? How many pico-aggs to the ma?

TWBalls
Apr 16, 2003
My medication never lies

Dick Trauma posted:

And now I have to ask what a micro-aggression is. Do we have a new standard of measurement for anger? How many pico-aggs to the ma?

Here you go:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microaggression_theory

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

microrape: Characterized by predatory non-physical prurient communications with the intent to penetrate the victim's emotional security on the basis of heteronormative impositions
I honestly didn't have a problem with this until I got to this line. :barf:

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

It's a relatively new term cooked up by the oh-so-fine folks of the Internet. It's found a new level of popularity recently since NPR aired a segment about it during my commute to work a few days ago.

The rest of the world used to call it "being an rear end in a top hat".

GOOCHY fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 26, 2015

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

goobernoodles posted:

I was looking for something quick and effective for entering, categorizing and prioritizing requests, to-do items and projects. I'm hoping to also be able to use the same system for repeat processes that involve other departments, that always get screwed up, namely on-boarding of new employees and terminations. If I can get that working well, I would think it could potentially be of use elsewhere in the company. My company basically has a paper operations manual that no one really reads unless they're not sure if they'd get fired for doing something, with few real "business processes." The way people, departments and entire offices operate varies wildly which ends up with tons of bullshit. I'd like to try help solve some of those issues if at all possible. To me it appears something like Jira/Confluence or... Trello + Confluence/Other Wiki, etc might be exactly what we need.

I'm also the only IT dude here with little exposure to seeing how other companies in my position handle those issues, so maybe I'm trying to use the wrong tool for the job. It's 32 minutes past beer time. TIME TO PLAY SOME LADDER GOLF.

I'm doing similar stuff and trying out Jira/Confluence. So far so good, but only just getting moving with it.

Edit: unrelated really, but I'm moving from a team of one (me) to hiring someone (extended to offer today) and moving the security person under me. Any reading materials on effective team leadership anyone can recommend?

Walked fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Sep 26, 2015

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

GOOCHY posted:

It's a relatively new term cooked up by the oh-so-fine folks of the Internet. It's found a new level of popularity recently since NPR aired a segment about during my commute to work a few days ago.

The rest of the world used to call it "being an rear end in a top hat".

It was coined in the 70s by a Harvard professor.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
If you're cooler than the person micro agressing you just hit them. If you're not :rip:

crunk dork
Jan 15, 2006

CLAM DOWN posted:

Sounds gay!!!!

GOOCHY
Sep 17, 2003

CLAM DOWN posted:

Be that as it may, the term hadn't been widely used until maybe just a few years ago.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

GOOCHY posted:

Be that as it may, the term hadn't been widely used until maybe just a few years ago.

Use of language changes, especially as people become aware of terminology which better expresses their thoughts.

Like so much of the other "SJW" stuff (air quotes for internet definition), it's a legitimate thing which gets co-opted by a bunch of other behaviors which may or not be applicable, but are definitely part of internet victim complex. Not to de-legitimize or True Scotsman things, but some people just want to be victims of persecution, real or perceived/invented. It's a real feeling from them, but it's a new phenomenon (using sociological terms to describe assholes), and the situation is evolving .

Don't get ruffled about it. Things will settle out one way or another.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Someone might as well lock this thread ahead of time. Once GG gets mentioned everything goes straight to the shitheap.

It's like you saw into the future

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Tell me if this belongs in another thread, but I have a question about class B and C addresses. Why do B and C have 255.255.0.0 / 255.255.255.0 masks by default? Why don't they have those octets available, especially considering how crowded IPv4 is getting?

Hey wanted to revisit this because I like the topic way more than some lovely derail spawned from a Reddit link we were supposed to be laughing at for the same thing.

You're thinking of a class C address as a single site getting 200.200.200.0 with a class C mask of 255.255.255.0. Why would they only use the last octet and waste everything else in the 200.0.0.0 space? That's a waste.

The idea of a class C address though is to give one site 200.200.200.0/24, and their neighbor gets 200.200.201.0/24. You can actually give 64000ish different sites a class C address in the 200.0.0.0 space, and each site has 253 publicly routable addresses.

CIDR + NAT bandaged the ipv4 address space even further by giving a single site 200.200.200.0/30. Network address is .0, broadcast is .4, ISP gets .1 and client gets .2. Everything coming from the client is translated as coming from the .2 address on some rando port that the router keeps track of, so the 200.0.0.0 address can serve, what, 4 million sites?

This is why class a addresses are a huge waste and need to be forcibly reclaimed from the shitheads that still think they need 500 million routable addresses (Microsoft).

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Judge Schnoopy posted:

The idea of a class C address though is to give one site 200.200.200.0/24, and their neighbor gets 200.200.201.0/24. You can actually give 64000ish different sites a class C address in the 200.0.0.0 space, and each site has 253 publicly routable addresses.

So then the point of a class A address would be to give one site 5.0.0.0 (I get what siders do, but not why you pick each), and all of the addresses within that, and another site 6.0.0.0, right?

I feel like we might have had classful addresses explained in the A+ class I took way back, but I never quite got it then.

E: Oh, hey, while I'm talking about siders, are you limited to only a few possible numbers of addresses on the subnet? Since the /X is saying X bits of the address are fixed, you can only remove the next most significant digit from the number of available addresses with each bit, right?

I'm not sure how well I'm explaining that. Basically, you can have 1111 1111 1110 0000, you can have 1111 1111 1111 0000, but you can't have 1111 1111 1111 0001. Right?

Networking really is cool as hell.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 26, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

I honestly didn't have a problem with this until I got to this line. :barf:

Good news, it's bullshit that someone added.

Here's the actual research paper:

http://www.consumerstar.org/resources/pdf/racialmicroaggressions.pdf

quote:

Three forms of microaggressions can
be identified: microassault, microinsult, and microinvalidation.

I know this seems like totally off topic stuff for IT, but because we're working in increasingly diverse workplaces and trying to make our industry more inclusive it'd be worth sorta understanding the concept just to be aware that some innocuous things really do add up over time :

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy
Class A, B, C are reserved non public IP addresses. You can use all 3 in your business, or you can use any one you want. No one on the internet can have 10.*, 192.168.*, or 172.16.1.1-172.31.255.254 publically routable. If you have an internet available service, you probably use a public IP from your ISP and use NAT tables to direct it to the available internal server located on class A, B, or C based on the incoming port. My understanding is that literally every public address has been sold as of a few days ago.

The 200.200.* example is confusing because it isn't actually reserved. If reddit.com owns the IP 200.200.5.100 and you use the same IP for your internal ticket system, things are going to get screwy. You can't buy 192.168.5.100, which is an human agreement, not math

Roargasm fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Sep 26, 2015

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hey wanted to revisit this because I like the topic way more than some lovely derail spawned from a Reddit link we were supposed to be laughing at for the same thing.

You're thinking of a class C address as a single site getting 200.200.200.0 with a class C mask of 255.255.255.0. Why would they only use the last octet and waste everything else in the 200.0.0.0 space? That's a waste.

CIDR + NAT bandaged the ipv4 address space even further by giving a single site 200.200.200.0/30. Network address is .0, broadcast is .4, ISP gets .1 and client gets .2. Everything coming from the client is translated as coming from the .2 address on some rando port that the router keeps track of, so the 200.0.0.0 address can serve, what, 4 million sites?

This is why class a addresses are a huge waste and need to be forcibly reclaimed from the shitheads that still think they need 500 million routable addresses (Microsoft).

You know if we just saved an octet instead of using them all we'd have plenty of addresses available.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

We gotta get those stupid ham radio folks to give up there class A

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
Just use ipv6. :smug:

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

jaegerx posted:

We gotta get those stupid ham radio folks to give up there class A

It's mostly the DoD using up all of our IPv4 space :911:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assigned_/8_IPv4_address_blocks

Actually the whole list is pretty funny in TYOOL 2015. Outside of Level3 and AT&T who are actually backbone providers.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Networking really is cool as hell.

Yes it is.

Subnetting is something you look at, practice, read about, hear about, and never really understand. Then in one instant your brain clicks and says "all of this is perfectly acceptable and I understand every intricate detail of the math involved" and you'll know it forever. Keep at it until that moment because it's really gratifying.

You can absolutely have 11110000.00001111.11110000.00001110. It translates to 240.15.240.14.
If your CIDR is /28, those last 4 digits will be the only things that change in your network. This means you can have anything from 240.15.240.0 (those four digits are all 0) to 240.15.240.15 (those four digits are all 1) and they're all in your network. Change any digit outside those 4 and your in a different network.

Again, stick with it and one day you'll read that paragraph and say "duh".

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Roargasm posted:

Class A, B, C are reserved non public IP addresses. You can use all 3 in your business, or you can use any one you want. No one on the internet can have 10.*, 192.168.*, or 172.16.1.1-172.31.255.254 publically routable. If you have an internet available service, you probably use a public IP from your ISP and use NAT tables to direct it to the available internal server located on class A, B, or C based on the incoming port. My understanding is that literally every public address has been sold as of a few days ago.

The 200.200.* example is confusing because it isn't actually reserved. If reddit.com owns the IP 200.200.5.100 and you use the same IP for your internal ticket system, things are going to get screwy. You can't buy 192.168.5.100, which is an human agreement, not math

No, this isn't the definition of classful addresses. There is one private range in each class, but the class encompasses the whole range. 0.0.0.1 to 126.255.255.255 is the whole class a range, not the private 10.0.0.0/8 space.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Nintendo Kid posted:

Just use ipv6. :smug:

God, please. I'm so sick of janky HE tunneling, even though it works. Why can't I register a AAAA address with a lot of registrars? Why does Cox not provide native ipv6 in TYOOL 2015?

Dark Helmut
Jul 24, 2004

All growns up
If I need to, I WILL resurrect salary talk.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
IPv6 loving sucks to deal with on a daily basis; at least you can hold an IPv4 address in your head.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
On my windows 10 laptop I set up a boot partition for Linux and got it up and running. I also had to run some windows tools for my job until I learned how to use them in Linux. I'm now using virtual box on the raw disk Linux partition to boot it from inside of windows. I'm not dual booting, I'm multi booting from the same drive.

And none of my friends are tech savvy enough to know why I think this is really loving cool :smith:

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Docjowles posted:

It's mostly the DoD using up all of our IPv4 space :911:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assigned_/8_IPv4_address_blocks

Actually the whole list is pretty funny in TYOOL 2015. Outside of Level3 and AT&T who are actually backbone providers.

Most of the federal government customers I work with are still using public address space internally. It's annoying.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I must be going crazy since I thought Xerox had a /8 to themselves, but it's not showing up on that list.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
A number of /8 holders have given it back

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Judge Schnoopy posted:

On my windows 10 laptop I set up a boot partition for Linux and got it up and running. I also had to run some windows tools for my job until I learned how to use them in Linux. I'm now using virtual box on the raw disk Linux partition to boot it from inside of windows. I'm not dual booting, I'm multi booting from the same drive.

And none of my friends are tech savvy enough to know why I think this is really loving cool :smith:

I think it's cool buddy :):respek::)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Bhodi posted:

IPv6 loving sucks to deal with on a daily basis; at least you can hold an IPv4 address in your head.

What situations need an IPv6 address with no access to DNS? You can always run a dig on a console with an easy to remember name. I presume it is always down to really bad software on appliances.