Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
If you're in the mood for Mad Max meets Z Nation then Australia made the movie for you: Wyrmwood road of the dead. I liked it. First rule of low budget is keep the characters doing something other than talking and they followed it. The pace is steady, there are some elements of dark humor, plenty of blood and the make up is adequate. And they manage a new twist on the fast/slow zombie issue. On Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
I don't really know what I like about the Rambo movies because I really don't like mega action movies, but the first 3 were pretty drat good. I put it on as something to fall asleep to (I'm one of those people) and it kept me entertained.

Anyone have any recommendations for weird comedy? Something like comedy bang bang. Is that surrealist comedy?

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

casual poster posted:

Anyone have any recommendations for weird comedy? Something like comedy bang bang. Is that surrealist comedy?

Obvious next option would be Portlandia, if you haven't seen it.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

casual poster posted:

I don't really know what I like about the Rambo movies because I really don't like mega action movies, but the first 3 were pretty drat good. I put it on as something to fall asleep to (I'm one of those people) and it kept me entertained.

You might try Birthday Boys or, as mentioned, Portlandia.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

wormil posted:

If you're in the mood for Mad Max meets Z Nation then Australia made the movie for you: Wyrmwood road of the dead. I liked it. First rule of low budget is keep the characters doing something other than talking and they followed it. The pace is steady, there are some elements of dark humor, plenty of blood and the make up is adequate. And they manage a new twist on the fast/slow zombie issue. On Netflix.
Was this one the one which has the guy being bitten by zombie fish while he's out fishing? I love that movie. MULTI-SHOTGUN! :black101:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

Was this one the one which has the guy being bitten by zombie fish while he's out fishing? I love that movie. MULTI-SHOTGUN! :black101:

No, Wyrmwood is not so overtly humorous. My daughter said it made her feel guilty for laughing at things that shouldn't be funny. BTW, don't watch the trailer, it gives everything away.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
poo poo what was that Australian zombie movie with the multi shotgun and the guy who got bitten by alien-infected zombie fish? I loved that movie and the ending was a pretty novel one for a zombie flick... It even held up on a second watch.

fakeedit: aha!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

coyo7e posted:

poo poo what was that Australian zombie movie with the multi shotgun and the guy who got bitten by alien-infected zombie fish? I loved that movie and the ending was a pretty novel one for a zombie flick... It even held up on a second watch.

fakeedit: aha!

I could look it up on imdb but I'm lazy, is that the movie from the late 90's that came out right before zombie movies became popular again? fake edit, gently caress it I peeked. Yeah except it came out in 2003. Haven't seen it in over ten years.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Poirot series 12 is up on Netflix.

Night of the Living Dead goes off tomorrow, get your Romero fix now.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Trading Places just dropped on Netflix France, I love that movie :neckbeard:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

casual poster posted:

Eric Andre Show

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I just used my day off to watch Zoo on Netflix. It wasn't terrible. Definitely not a bad way to kill a boring day.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Len posted:

I just used my day off to watch Zoo on Netflix. It wasn't terrible. Definitely not a bad way to kill a boring day.

Hmmm, I watched the series and unapologetically enjoyed it despite 'tv science' and whole swaths of the plot being silly or not making sense. I think I enjoyed it because the show never took itself too seriously and the actors seemed to be having fun.

jodai
Mar 2, 2010

Banging with all due hardness.

wormil posted:

Poirot series 12 is up on Netflix.

Night of the Living Dead goes off tomorrow, get your Romero fix now.

Is it the remake? The original is probably going to be everywhere in October.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I heard about The Thick of It before but only now started watching it and holy poo poo it's amazing. I thought the enjoyment of it would depend on whether or not you come from the UK but I'm not even from an English speaking country and it just doesn't matter.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
It's October 2015, and that means the Back to the Future trilogy is on Amazon Prime.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own

Palpek posted:

I heard about The Thick of It before but only now started watching it and holy poo poo it's amazing. I thought the enjoyment of it would depend on whether or not you come from the UK but I'm not even from an English speaking country and it just doesn't matter.

After you finish the series, watch the spinoff movie In the Loop. How can you watch this and not want to have Malcolm Tucker's rear end in a top hat powers?

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Forceholy posted:

After you finish the series, watch the spinoff movie In the Loop. How can you watch this and not want to have Malcolm Tucker's rear end in a top hat powers?

In the Loop is loving hilarious. I never knew it was based on a show... :aaaaa:

BurntCornMuffin
Jan 9, 2009

Dark Matter on Netflix is scratching my space-opera itch so hard right now.

ExCruceLeo
Oct 4, 2003

I'll choose the truth I like.
Gotham is on netflix now. I just started it and am really enjoying it.

The Flash season 1 will be going up next week, as will Arrow season 3. Been waiting to watch Flash.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
iZombie goes up too. I'm not usually a fan of CW shows but it's good.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

Forceholy posted:

Hahaha, I just took these screenshots of a conversation between the minister and his senior advisor from a season 2 episode which aired in 2005:

:stare: I see the show is still very much valid.

Okuteru
Nov 10, 2007

Choose this life you're on your own
Boogie Nights is on Netflix. The film gave Paul Thomas Anderson his break and Burt Reynolds is actually decent in this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Palpek posted:

Hahaha, I just took these screenshots of a conversation between the minister and his senior advisor from a season 2 episode which aired in 2005:

:stare: I see the show is still very much valid.
I don't get it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ExCruceLeo posted:

I give no shits about Batman but I'm watching it solely because it has Ben McKenzie and Donal Logue in it. It's no bringing back Southland/Terriers, but it'll have to do.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The thing you need to know about Gotham is that this is the Penguin and his mother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03Camt2jt4

If you are not on board with this, It Is Not For You.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I don't get it.

There's some media scandal about the British prime minister sticking his cock in a pigs mouth

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

WetSpink posted:

There's some media scandal about the British prime minister sticking his cock in a pigs mouth
He didn't have sex with it though, it was for a hazing ritual or some poo poo. That'd be like calling a fraternity member gay because he was sodomized with a broomstick by a group of drunk rich white kids

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

The Thick of It is a series about the government PR branch trying to contain various press scandals with the ministers and one of them talks about a pig loving scenario as a way to get a spot on TV which is mentioned as nothing more than a tasteless joke on the show. The scenario then happens irl a few years later to the prime minister of the government shown in the show, life imitating art etc. I don't know what's difficult to get here even when the details aren't the same. I can't even imagine what would Malcom do with a situation like that, it would have been too ridiculous for the show.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Gee it's almost as if the Oxford dining society chose loving a pig as an initiation rite and so many television shows have loving a pig as a ludicrous sex act because they're both drawing on the same cultural influences and "pigfucker" is not an uncommon phrase.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

coyo7e posted:

He didn't have sex with it though, it was for a hazing ritual or some poo poo. That'd be like calling a fraternity member gay because he was sodomized with a broomstick by a group of drunk rich white kids

My barrier to entry for calling someone pig fucker is they willingly make genital contact with a pig. It's not like he was performing some experiment where the outcome of sticking his dick in a pig had results that needed to be measured, the only thing learned is "hey, this guy's willing to stick it in a pig."

Paul McCartney's take on the issue: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=A85ipUgy5B4

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Well if a well-known rock star has an opinion, I must watch this video and go along..?

Also it was a joke but, you're weirdly invested in someone else touching a dead animal with their dick on a dare decades ago

How do you feel about Led Zeppelin's orgy involving a shark they had in their motel room?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

coyo7e posted:

Well if a well-known rock star has an opinion, I must watch this video and go along..?

Also it was a joke but, you're weirdly invested in someone else touching a dead animal with their dick on a dare decades ago

How do you feel about Led Zeppelin's orgy involving a shark they had in their motel room?

If you clicked the video, you'd see it's Paul McCartney telling the sheepfucker joke.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
why should I click on a youtube link

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
The other day I flipped on a tv show about a hostage taker wanting the prime minister to gently caress a pig on television or they would kill a princess. It didn't seem to be an intentional comedy but was incredibly random and stupid so I turned it off. I still wouldn't watch it but at least now I get the reference.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

wormil posted:

The other day I flipped on a tv show about a hostage taker wanting the prime minister to gently caress a pig on television or they would kill a princess. It didn't seem to be an intentional comedy but was incredibly random and stupid so I turned it off. I still wouldn't watch it but at least now I get the reference.

That's Black Mirror. It's extremely good and that episode (the first one) came out years ago, well before the news about Cameron came out.

Loezi
Dec 18, 2012

Never buy the cheap stuff

BurntCornMuffin posted:

Dark Matter on Netflix is scratching my space-opera itch so hard right now.

Binged this in two days. Aside from that one episode (and a bit cliffhanger'y season final) it was really good. Got any other similar shows to recommend while I wait for season 2?

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

ExCruceLeo posted:

The Flash season 1 will be going up next week, as will Arrow season 3. Been waiting to watch Flash.

I'm rewatching Flash, I'm so going to rewatch it again on Netflix. It's my favorite superhero show for the moment.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?

I started watching Scream the series and I don't know what I was thinking - I haven't seen such an unlikeable cast in a long time and want to see them all die horribly as soon as possible which works against the idea that I should somehow care about them fighting a serial killer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx

Palpek posted:

I started watching Scream the series and I don't know what I was thinking - I haven't seen such an unlikeable cast in a long time and want to see them all die horribly as soon as possible which works against the idea that I should somehow care about them fighting a serial killer.

I feel like this is sort of the point of the whole slasher genre.