Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

DoctorWhat posted:

Yeah. :smith:

Fandom spoils everything.

I was going to make a snide/glib comment about this being the attitude that led to the show nearly dying during Colin's run, and how it's pretty disastrous for other mediums/properties (ask any wrestling fan how WWE's policy of not hiring fans to be writers has worked out). But honestly, I'm both perplexed and saddened at the sentiment, especially from the thread's walking embodiment of the Tumblr generation and the boom in open, unabashed enthusiastic fandom that's come with it. Like... are you OK, man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
I've always been real cynical about "fandom" as a culture, especially post-#GG. New, younger, "Tumblr" fandom has its better qualities (and its worse ones), but "fandom" often perpetuates a lowercase-c conservative orthodoxy that stifles stuff like Doctor Who.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Re: latest episode
I've kind of assumed that the show is well aware of how absurdly high the stakes are raised by this cliffhanger (dead clara, missy, tardis + doctor says he dies tomorrow), and that we're meant to not take any of that at face value. The whole go back and kill Davros as a child solution to the situation also doesn't seem to be a real options due to the show repeatedly saying how you're not able to change your own timeline so the only non-paradoxical way the doctor can go back to the minefield is the show revealing him to have already gone back there and so whatever has to be done to save everyone has to already have happened, or it's simply a trick and noone was dead at all. Maybe this is expecting too much of the episode, and I'm not quite sure what that would leave the concluding part's storyline to actually cover if the cliffhanger is resolved fairly quickly, but that's my take.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Gaz-L posted:

I was going to make a snide/glib comment about this being the attitude that led to the show nearly dying during Colin's run

Are you sure?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Hey so I watched Genesis of the Daleks and it was awesome. I'm pretty sure I watched it as a kid but I didn't remember it. I just knew you guys were waiting for me to post about it. You're welcome.

Edit: I'll give it a recap.

So Davros made the Daleks.
It sucked.
They're bad.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Sep 26, 2015

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:hfive: Genesis owns.

Also Genesis of The Daleks is pretty good too!

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Phil Collins Genesis was way better than Peter Gabriel Genesis.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

DoctorWhat posted:

I've always been real cynical about "fandom" as a culture, especially post-#GG. New, younger, "Tumblr" fandom has its better qualities (and its worse ones), but "fandom" often perpetuates a lowercase-c conservative orthodoxy that stifles stuff like Doctor Who.

There are definitely words here, but damned if I know what they mean. GG?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

Well DUH.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

DoctorWhat posted:

You kind of stopped making sense when you stopped having Colin Baker as your avatar. I think.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Grouchio posted:

You kind of stopped making sense when you stopped having Colin Baker as your avatar. I think.

Colin Baker still is my avatar???

The_Doctor posted:

There are definitely words here, but damned if I know what they mean. GG?

Gamergate.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

DoctorWhat posted:

Gamergate.

Every time someone types that I feel like someone just said "Frau Blucher".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

Colin Baker still is my avatar???

Gamergate.

If you ever remove that man from your avatar there will be CONSEQUENCES.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Rhyno posted:

If you ever remove that man from your avatar there will be CONSEQUENCES.

i have no intention of doing anything so heinous. the sheer spuriousness of such a notion!

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Trial of a Time Lord has episode ending cliffhangers that take place before the now of the story.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Croatoan posted:

Meet me outside, motherfuckre. Say that to my face.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Phil Collins solo is better than Phil Collins Genesis.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Peter Gabriel solo is better still.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

CobiWann posted:

Phil Collins solo is better than Phil Collins Genesis.

When I become Doctor Who's show-runner, this will be the basis of a Time Lord Civil War event.

(the right side, of course, agrees with you.)

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

phil collins is poo poo

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

My continued watch of Trial of the Time lords has led me to the Doctor's first encounter with hand mines, in the Matrix.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Watched "The Magician's Apprentice". If you cut the episode down to the 10 minutes relevant to the plot, and not the drama between characters, it would be ok. The meme factor of the episode was pretty high. Why was the Master in this episode? She wasn't really needed at all.

Missy being exterminated was the best part of the episode.

Kikka fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Sep 26, 2015

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Missy is always needed.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

no

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Your avatar text has never been more true.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

dalek dog bollocks

getting rid of missy was part of a b-plot, and this happens by daleks refusing to acknowledge her character and rejecting her wacky speech. missy was trying to derail the episode, the daleks brought it right back. mad respect.

one thing that's bothering me in-universe: there's a mix of different kinds of daleks around, and previously this has happened because they've been almost gone and needed to integrate different kinds of daleks. however usually they reject and seek to exterminate daleks of different make (ex. renegades vs imperials), and they seem to be doing quite well at the moment, with skaro back and all. why are they mixing different kinds of daleks again?

why didn't they use actual land mines for the young davros sequence as a callback to the story where we actually see him for the first time? they're trying to go full circle with young and old davros starting at skaro and ending up at skaro, literally showing clips of the first davros story and theyre even using old dalek props as a callback to classic doctor who. why does the enemy need to be a lame pun (although visually effective)? i was under the impression that the warfare of kaleds vs thals was at the level of ww2, even going back to trench warfare.

Kikka fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Sep 26, 2015

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kikka posted:

dalek dog bollocks

getting rid of missy was part of a b-plot, and this happens by daleks refusing to acknowledge her character and rejecting her wacky speech. missy was trying to derail the episode, the daleks brought it right back. mad respect.

Yeaaah no. The thing about the Missy is you want to make drat sure she stays right where you can see her, and even then you're only mildly safer. She goaded the Daleks into shooting her on her own terms and now she could be anywhere doing anything.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeaaah no. The thing about the Missy is you want to make drat sure she stays right where you can see her, and even then you're only mildly safer. She goaded the Daleks into shooting her on her own terms and now she could be anywhere doing anything.

wait did i miss something? do the daleks have transmat beams now?

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Do you remember that bit in Death in Heaven when she got shot, disintegrated and totally died?

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

oh i didnt watch that. then missy's death is even less impactful now.
actually why am i calling her missy. shes the master.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Clara/Missy is straightforwardly the A-plot of that episode.

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

that might actually be the case. doctor who is more of a soap opera than a sci-fi show now. that would mean that davros, the daleks and the doctor are the b-plot and not as important as the master popping out of a screen like a cartoon

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

What does that even mean?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Kikka posted:

why didn't they use actual land mines for the young davros sequence as a callback to the story where we actually see him for the first time? they're trying to go full circle with young and old davros starting at skaro and ending up at skaro, literally showing clips of the first davros story and theyre even using old dalek props as a callback to classic doctor who. why does the enemy need to be a lame pun (although visually effective)? i was under the impression that the warfare of kaleds vs thals was at the level of ww2, even going back to trench warfare.

The influence for that sequence seemed to me to be clearly WW1 (I'm pretty sure that Young Davros is wearing puttees); believe me, disembodied hands suddenly appearing out of the mud in the middle of a wasteland is entirely in keeping with the theme.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Trin Tragula posted:

The influence for that sequence seemed to me to be clearly WW1 (I'm pretty sure that Young Davros is wearing puttees); believe me, disembodied hands suddenly appearing out of the mud in the middle of a wasteland is entirely in keeping with the theme.

Not to mention that wars are not clean or organized. A field of hand-mines are probably an old, old, leftover from when they could be made. Laser cannons on a bi-plane are probably the Thal's last few working ones slapped onto the only aircraft they have.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Kikka posted:

one thing that's bothering me in-universe: there's a mix of different kinds of daleks around, and previously this has happened because they've been almost gone and needed to integrate different kinds of daleks. however usually they reject and seek to exterminate daleks of different make (ex. renegades vs imperials), and they seem to be doing quite well at the moment, with skaro back and all. why are they mixing different kinds of daleks again?

So people will go LOOK IT'S THE SPECIAL WEAPONS DALEK I WILL POST THIS TO WEBSITE, same as the rest of the poo poo.

Kikka posted:

wait did i miss something? do the daleks have transmat beams now?

When did they not

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

Kikka posted:

why didn't they use actual land mines for the young davros sequence as a callback to the story where we actually see him for the first time?

It kind of bothered me too but I think it's for the fans. There's no good in universe explanation for it. As for the hand mines I think that was because it's a creepy set piece, but I would have preferred real mines as well.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
The biggest travesty was having the Special Weapons dalek speak. :colbert:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Kikka posted:

Otherwise it would look boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not to mention that wars are not clean or organized. A field of hand-mines are probably an old, old, leftover from when they could be made. Laser cannons on a bi-plane are probably the Thal's last few working ones slapped onto the only aircraft they have.

I just saw it as Moffat trying to be clever and doing his regular mixing technologies to make things look cool and mysterious when it's just lazy and dull.

Scene: A group of people dressed as WW1 soldiers running across a foggy and muddy field as an enemy bi-plane comes into view. Suddenly the bi-plane fires laser blasts at the running people.
A lone member of the group draws a long bow and points it at the retreating bi-plane.

Moffat: Ha! I fooled them. I bet they all thought this was WW1 when it really isn't. Should I make the arrow on the bow fly off like a missile and take the plane out? No, that would be TOO indulgent.
Anyhow now the viewer is confused as to where this is.

Scene: A child is briefly seen by the lone member running away from the previous scene of action. The lone member asks another member of the group, "Was that a child?" as they both look at an empty foggy field. And decided to run after this mystery child. After a brief exchange the lone member takes out a high tech sounding scanner to look for "hand mines".

Moffat: Now I bet they're really confused. Why a child suddenly appeared out in the middle of nowhere. I have no idea myself, it just looks good. Did a lot of children wander around in no-man's land?
Then they're thinking, "Did he say land mine or hand mine?" I got that stupid idea from Family Circus.
Anyhow, I have to get writing more pointless BS to fill this episode out. Hey, Capaldi was in Dreamboys. I bet I can make the Doctor playing an electric guitar in someplace nobody would expect!

• Locked thread