Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Rah! posted:

Some would say this building is ugly and bad, but those people are dumb.

It's definitely ugly, but it's confidently ugly.

The biggest problem is that it's in Milan, so it's probably ruining a nice Italian cityscape. If it was in England or Eastern Europe I'd have no problems with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Rah! posted:

:feelsgood:

It looks like took a larger building, put it on top of a smaller one, said wait that doesn't look right, then added some stilts.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

buttcoinbrony posted:

It looks like took a larger building, put it on top of a smaller one, said wait that doesn't look right, then added some stilts.

"poo poo! We forgot to buy land for Phase 2! Where will we put it?"

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Rah! posted:

This is the worst unless you're literally an evil overlord

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

The biggest problem is that it's in Milan, so it's probably ruining a nice Italian cityscape. If it was in England or Eastern Europe I'd have no problems with it.

Milan is kind of a lovely, ugly city for the most part. Its only redeeming features are it's really drat close to the italian lakes which are amazing. Even the italian food there is kind of lovely and overpriced compared to tuscany and friends. There was a really high incidence of short italian men with dodgy tranny girlfriends there too which really stood out to me for some reason.

Here is the main train station, which I guess is imposing, if nothing else, and surrounded by miles of generic apartment blocks.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

North Italian food sucks, also don't say tranny.

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

Kavak posted:

North Italian food sucks, also don't say tranny.

Unconvincing chicks with dicks?

Obvious dudes with boobs?

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
The boys over at BBPR gave no fucks about what you think of their boss medieval tower.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Milan's was bombed to smithereens in WWII, and practically none of its architecture was preserved.

Risotto and Pesto are good.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

This is "I'm a Shark!" in building form.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

anyone link penn jilette's house

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

cynic posted:

Here is the main train station, which I guess is imposing, if nothing else, and surrounded by miles of generic apartment blocks.

One of Mussolini's projects, IIRC; I remember it as being about as large and impressive as you'd expect of a fascist showcase train station. I liked it, though.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Rah! posted:

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Groovelord Neato posted:

Yeah check my posts in this thread

TwoFire
Sep 11, 2001

by Ralp
gently caress i meant to read this thread how do I unstick :confused:

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax

Groovelord Neato posted:

wayfinder posted:

Penn Jillette's house in Las Vegas is ...special. It's jumble of random poo poo just dumped in the middle of the desert with a lovely fence around it:

Scenic!

They keep adding poo poo to it, too. The front looks like a prison, and the back looks like... well. You know those books that carpet salespeople have, with little squares of the different kinds of carpet in them to browse? Imagine an architect had a book like that for all the different styles of houses they could build, and they took it to a client, and the client said "I love it! We'll go with that!", and the architect was like, "Wait which one are you talking about" and the client said "Uhm, the whole book!!?"

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

How is an unemployed guy paying for all that

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Rah! posted:

I am reminded of a story I head about the American Embassy in Moscow. Let the Soviets build it, they somehow put bugs EVERYWHERE and then the Americans had to fly in materials and labor to build a new embassy on top of the old one.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

also he has a weird sex dungeon in there.

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

quote:

The front looks like a prison, and the back looks like... well. You know those books that carpet salespeople have, with little squares of the different kinds of carpet in them to browse? Imagine an architect had a book like that for all the different styles of houses they could build, and they took it to a client, and the client said "I love it! We'll go with that!", and the architect was like, "Wait which one are you talking about" and the client said "Uhm, the whole book!!?"

There's a community centre in Russia which does that with designs for different religious constructions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Temple_of_All_Religions

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

peanut posted:

How is an unemployed guy paying for all that

Unemployed? What are you talking about? They still make bank doing Vegas shows. Let alone their TV show.

But does it really matter when your net worth is north of $150MM?

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone
Here's a post with "temporary" architecture, stuff meant to only be used for a fixed amount of time then demolished or abandoned. Calling it architecture is debatable seeing as temporary buildings are normally used for films, exhibitions,etc.

1. USS Recruit- built in New York City out of wood as a recruiting station for the US Navy in 1917. It was manned by a crew and treated as a actual ship. It was torn down in 1920 to be moved to Conney Island, but vanished after being dismantled.

2. Intolerance Babylon film set- In 1916 D. W. Griffith filmed his masterpiece Intolerance and changed Hollywood in more ways then one.

quote:

Intolerance's Babylon set was built on a still-dirt Sunset Boulevard, at Hollywood, site today of the Vista Theatre, and it was both carefully researched (though Griffith insisted on the totally inappropriate elephants) and enormous; in Kevin Brownlow's book The Parade's Gone By, second-unit director Joseph Henabery describes the scale: "The walls of Babylon were ninety feet high. The walls were about the same height as the columns on which the elephants were erected; it is safe to estimate the overall height at one hundred and forty feet … At its widest point, the tower structure was forty feet." (He adds that "Altogether we spent little more than a couple of hours on the scene.")

Sadly "Intolerance" was a flop and the studio didn't even have the money to tear down the (now rotting) set. So for several years there lay a miniature Babylon in the middle of LA until a fire destroyed it.

3. The 1939 New York World's Fair- The "World of Tomorrow" , the symbol of the hopes of a generation.

Nckdictator fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Sep 27, 2015

cloudchamber
Aug 6, 2010

You know what the Ukraine is? It's a sitting duck. A road apple, Newman. The Ukraine is weak. It's feeble. I think it's time to put the hurt on the Ukraine

They brought the worker over to the US but left the Kolkhoznik woman at home?

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

That's the kinda thing I browse this thread for.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

cloudchamber posted:

They brought the worker over to the US but left the Kolkhoznik woman at home?

Don't worry, they shipped him back.

quote:

On September 3, 1939, a "record-breaking day in attendance," the Soviet Pavilion was touted by the PR Office as one of the more popular exhibits.
However, the status of the pavilion would soon come into question. Exactly two weeks later, the Soviet Union launched an invasion of Poland...In a memo from the State Department on November 29, 1939, F. B. Lyon in the Division of International Conferences wrote, "We have received a telegram from the American Embassy in Moscow, which states that 'the Government of the Soviet Union does not intend to participate in the NY World's Fair of 1940.'" The Soviets were, at the time of that memo, staging an invasion of Finland.
So, during the snowy early months of 1940, Stalin's bust was taken down, the transpolar plane dismantled, and Joe was taken apart — piece by piece — and loaded onto a ship headed back to the Soviet Union to be reconstructed. The rest of the building was dismantled, its site to be taken over by a space called the "American Common” during the 1940 season.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Throwback fad finally returning to nickelodeon I see

AwwJeah
Jul 3, 2006

I like you!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
how is that even possible

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli
It's a green screen so you can comp in the house you want when showing the relatives :v:

The set from Intolerance also has inspired archelogical digs.

You can also visit Mos Espa, which is still standing after shooing ended on Phantom Menace.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Accretionist posted:

It'll be okay; just look at this:

The only good thing tubmlr ever did:

Image is link.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

Image is link.

That site is soothing.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

It's really ugly, but I like skylines that have at least one or two buildings that remind me of a cyberpunk dystopia. If people don't like dirty concrete hellscapes at least a little bit, they should go live on a farm or something :colbert:

Gorilla Salad posted:

What the hell, the words don't fit perfectly into the circle. Look at all the empty space on the sides :argh:

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rah! posted:

Did somebody decide to turn a WW2 flak tower into an office building? And then somebody else decided to build an apartment building on top of the office-cum-flaktower?

snuggle baby luvs hugs
Aug 30, 2005

Rah! posted:

:btroll:

canis minor
May 4, 2011

Rah! posted:

It's really ugly, but I like skylines that have at least one or two buildings that remind me of a cyberpunk dystopia. If people don't like dirty concrete hellscapes at least a little bit, they should go live on a farm or something :colbert:

What the hell, the words don't fit perfectly into the circle. Look at all the empty space on the sides :argh:

But the tumblr name is the max characters tumblr allows!

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
What was that absolutely ginormous building in england that was staffed by dwarves to make it seem even bigger?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Frostwerks posted:

What was that absolutely ginormous building in england that was staffed by dwarves to make it seem even bigger?

Tardis.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4TJkPLN_g8

I'm Crap
Aug 15, 2001

Frostwerks posted:

fonthill abbey?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

This is amazing, I love these guys

This is also amazing. That entrance hall is some proto-warhammer poo poo. Gutted it was demolished, I'd have loved to have seen it.

• Locked thread