Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST

Fabricated posted:

This is what I meant about it developing a Grappler Baki kinda look. Body shapes just start looking horrendous, with gangly slenderman looking legs and arms and torsos reminiscent of really really really big man from Rocko's Modern Life.

When you make this comparison, are you referring to the original (older) Grappler Baki series, from the 1990's? When Hajime No Ippo started out, the artwork didn't exactly look amazing, either. George Morikawa's grasp of human anatomy has shifted wildly throughout the entire series, I think we can all agree on that.

Keisuke Itagaki's artwork has improved over time. He's drawing stuff like this for his latest manga, Baki-Dou:

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Sep 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Ippo vs. Kojima

I'm going to start out by saying that this isn't a good fight. It is understood, in-universe, to be a pretty poor fight, much like the Hammer Nao match. Ippo withstands an absolutely ludicrous blow because reasons, his opponent is the underdog by miles and miles, to the point where he is very clearly going to lose, and the actual fight is two minutes of nothing followed by two punches and then it's over. All of that being said, this match still gives me back some hope after the absolute black hole of poo poo that was Woli. Because short and largely unsatisfying though this match may have been, it was boxing. His opponent sat down, watched the tapes, and identified a weakness in Ippo's style that he felt that he could effectively exploit. He then trained like hell for that one moment. Ippo knew that his opponent was going to be a hard hitter, so he trained like hell to be able to take those hits. And while Ippo was sloppy with his style, and though withstanding the counter was pretty ludicrous, it was not out of nowhere. It was not dancing around the ring swinging from the ropes. It was not loosening your glove to through extendo punches. It was not lunging around throwing haymakers like a moron. It was boxing, short though it was. And it reminds me of why I liked this series. Also, commentary here finally made it click for me that Ippo actually loses mass between matches. He's naturally built like a brick shithouse, but he's still underweight for a featherweight, so he'll build up the necessary muscle groups for a match and then let most of that fade away until he's leading up to the next one, where he retunes once again. I kinda wish this had been better explained sooner, because you kind of expect that to just stick around.

Kojima has a good story arc without overstaying his welcome--unlike goddamn loving Woli who goes on for way too long--you pretty quickly get an idea of what his deal is, it plays out nicely, and then at the end, he's got closure. Sure, he himself doesn't remember his own fight, and he's disappointed in that, but he's at peace with himself and ready to move on. I especially like after the match, when Aoki is trying to get him to continue, and Kojima's just like "Dude, no, I have a kid to worry about. I'm retired." It's a great character moment for both of them, and really helps get across what Aoki and Kimura are feeling (Kimura is still kinda turning into a ghost, though. It kind of went from "Aoki is Kimura's friend to Kimura is Aoki's friend somewhere along the line).

We're leading up to the class A finals now, and unfortunately I think I can safely predict that Itagaki wins, but Aoki and Kimura both lose. This is based entirely on Kimura's opponent being completely nameless and largely unmentioned outside of being a former champ, I think? If he was going to get a big win here, we would hear more about the match than that, so he has to lose. Aoki has a named opponent, but because Kimura has to lose, he has to lose too, because the two pretty much have to have identical records. Itagaki wins because he has a named opponent who we know is strong because we've seen him before, and because they're not going to make the entirety of Kamogawa gym lose the tournament. I hope Aoki and Kimura get their shots next time around.

Jedah
Sep 1, 2001

YOU CAN NOT BUST THE KRUST
Hajime No Ippo Chapter 1111 (RAW) is out! Some great looking artwork this chapter.
Credit goes to jbondsr of Dynamite Glove.

Jedah fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 4, 2015

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
If there's anyone translating this still, I'm interested.

Because apparently that zillion year-old plot thread about the detached retina comes true.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Fabricated posted:

Because apparently that zillion year-old plot thread about the detached retina comes true.

Holy poo poo really

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Fabricated posted:

Flies right out and kills Bison.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

maybe the author made it true because he couldnt figure out how to reasonably pace several more title wins and wants to wrap this poo poo up

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapters 1105 - 1108 got released.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Holy poo poo

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Oh hey, Chapter 1105 actually featuring Kamogawa actually talking strategy and being a coach for once!

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

Vagabundo posted:

Oh hey, Chapter 1105 actually featuring Kamogawa actually talking strategy and being a coach for once!

Haha, I had the exact same thought.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

:aaa:

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

tbp posted:

maybe the author made it true because he couldnt figure out how to reasonably pace several more title wins and wants to wrap this poo poo up

Joe Frazier was blind in his left eye from almost the very beginning of his long career and still became the world heavyweight champion and was one of five guys to beat Ali.

Actually, Takamura losing a fight for the same reason Frazier lost the Thrilla in Manila would be cool.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Nahxela posted:

Holy poo poo

Absolutely anything the author wants him to do.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Nilbop posted:

Absolutely anything the author wants him to do.

Welcome to... Fiction???

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

DamnGlitch posted:

Welcome to... Fiction???

The running arguement is that Takamura is an enormous Mary-Sue that gets a pass because his fights are entertaining.

Have some people really not heard that? I mean, c'mon, what he's doing in this fight alone is every bit as impossible as any of the poo poo Woli did.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I think it works for the manga because he's not the main character and Takamura is always this godlike being in the ring who is almost always a complete rear end in a top hat otherwise. He's a good foil to the other people in the gym to either constantly antagonize the comic relief characters or to be some incredible wall that the serious characters must aspire to rise up against / towards.

Honestly there's be no point to Takamura ever losing in the manga. I hope they never go that route.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Takamura is only better in the anime. His voice is perfect. His actor also playing Tora in Ushio & Tora knocks it out of the park.

afatwhiteloaf
Oct 19, 2012

Nilbop posted:

The running arguement is that Takamura is an enormous Mary-Sue that gets a pass because his fights are entertaining.

Have some people really not heard that? I mean, c'mon, what he's doing in this fight alone is every bit as impossible as any of the poo poo Woli did.

Mary Sue is a meaningless Tv Tropes ism, and nothing depicted in this awesome fight is anywhere near the bullshit of the Woli fight. Takamura owns, because it's his story role to own, and to present a goal for other characters to aspire to owns as much as he does.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

TV Tropes didn't invent Mary Sue's dude, and uh, yeah, Takamura learned to use - and counter - a flicker on level with a world champion who uses it everyday in the space of 6 minutes.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
Yeah Takamura fights suck now. I guess he's bringing back the detached retina plotline like what, a decade removed? Who even gives a poo poo? What does he even need eyes for when he can shrug off punches that make his head do a 180.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I just hope he isnt just taking those big lefts in order to make his opponent comfortable so he can land a bigass counterpunch.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

They keep showing his foot tensing up in some of the panels so I'm wondering if it's his left ankle or left foot or something that's hurt and he can't sway away from the punch or something because of that. It's probably totally the retina plot coming back though because it's dumb.

Blinks77
Feb 15, 2012

The pace of this manga could not have a greater example.

Something raised a decade ago, is finally moving forward.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The dumbest thing is that if his retina is becoming detached it's only because he's a loving retard. If you go to an ophthalmologist they can diagnose that incredibly easy with the basic exam, and there's surgical measures to correct it just fine.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
hahahaha I can't believe the retina thing is actually happening now.

It's a good fight though, I just can't believe the retina thing comes up now of all times if that's what it is.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Fabricated posted:

The dumbest thing is that if his retina is becoming detached it's only because he's a loving retard. If you go to an ophthalmologist they can diagnose that incredibly easy with the basic exam, and there's surgical measures to correct it just fine.

This is a manga where the main character has got brain damage because he refuses to learn to fight in a way that doesn't showcase his burning Japanese spirit. And where coaches give circuitous advice like "Think outside the box!" that's supposed to be digested and translated internally like a haiku.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I hope Takamura's impending death inspires Ippo.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Takamura will never lose he's legitimately the best shonen character (or at least has the #1 all time arc of all time)

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fabricated posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm only a casual fan of punchsports. But I get the sense that retinal detachment is sort of a bogeyman for fighters because after it detaches one, it's very likely to detach again. And with each time, the risk of permanent vision loss or even blindness increases. It can be a career-derailer, if not necessarily a career-ender.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vengarr posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm only a casual fan of punchsports. But I get the sense that retinal detachment is sort of a bogeyman for fighters because after it detaches one, it's very likely to detach again. And with each time, the risk of permanent vision loss or even blindness increases. It can be a career-derailer, if not necessarily a career-ender.
It's not good, but it was very treatable even in the 80's and easy to detect. Also it wouldn't have put him out of boxing for very long.

Ippo's literal brain damage is a more pressing medical issue.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Oh come on he only got brain damage that one time.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Fabricated posted:

Ippo's literal brain damage is a more pressing medical issue.

Why? It's not like he uses it for anything. Removing it might make him stronger.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Vengarr posted:

Why? It's not like he uses it for anything. Removing it might make him stronger.

more oxygen for his muscles

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
3 more chapters.

http://mangastream.com/

Yeah folks, I've seen the raws so let's just skip to what happens after this since it'll take months to get there: Takamura still wins. Morikawa clumsily tries to hide the fact that Takamura most certainly has a detaching retina because he keeps guessing his way through vision tests and has his leg as an excuse as to why Bison keeps lighting him up with lefts.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I thought it would take a lot to make me hate a Takamura fight.

Took less than I thought.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Shinjobi posted:

I thought it would take a lot to make me hate a Takamura fight.

Took less than I thought.

It took it turning into an Ippo fight, more or less.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I'm confused as to why Bison just doesn't default back to fighting at long range. The other characters even ask why he doesn't do exactly that instead of giving Takamura even the slightest chance of being able to hit him back because now there's no chance of him being able to dodge or counter it properly.

Simoom
Nov 30, 2009
just saw the raws, oh my god hahahahhaa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
More chapters up on Mangastream.

Time to hang it up, George.