Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

It takes until the 6th generation before they make a car bigger than a Smart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Cockmaster posted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/apple-speeds-up-electric-car-work-1442857105

Apple has just formally confirmed that they will in fact, be working on an electric car, with a planned launch date sometime in 2019. Contrary to previous rumors, they won't be aiming for Google-level autonomy right away (though it is still a long-term goal).

What are the odds that they'll actually end up with something worth a crap? 2019 is far enough out that Tesla could beat them to market with the Model 3 by a year or two. If they're not aiming for real autonomous driving, what could they bring to the table that'd attract interest?

The Tesla Model 3 probably is not going to be out in 2019, considering how long it's taken them to get their models out from announcement to release. Fully autonomous driving is probably still 10-20 years away.

And what Apple brings to the table is a big brand name and a big war chest. Tesla is in trouble between the entry of actual carmakers and the entry of one of the few tech companies even more overhyped than itself.

Linedance posted:

You have to buy an aftermarket clear plastic film to apply to the windscreen to protect from scratches and getting smashed by a rock. They also sell a variety of silicon rubber surrounds you can put over the car to protect it in parking lots.

The body panels are all unpainted brushed aluminum, so that even the tiniest ding shows up immediately. Since there is nothing to cover body filler, all repairs will entail the complete replacement of the body panel. Painting the car will invalidate the warranty.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I buy AppleCare so I can deliberately crash my car and get a new one for $79

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
They will sell the car at cost and then make all their money on sleazy financing and service plans

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And it will randomly download U2 albums and play them at full volume, with no option to turn it off.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

KozmoNaut posted:

And it will randomly download U2 albums and play them at full volume, with no option to turn it off.

Always on iTunes display in the dash. Just like on the Tesla, there is no option to turn off the radio, only leave it on mute.

The charging station will cost $8000 and the plugs will be incompatible with every other brand. The plug shape will change every two years and require you to buy a new charging station. Using adapters will place the car in limp mode and it will only trickle charge.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Sep 25, 2015

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

Mange Mite posted:

The charging station will cost $8000 and the plugs will be incompatible with every other brand. The plug software will change every two years and require you to buy a new one.

I fixed this for you. So Apple is going to outsource this car to China like everything else? Who is going to be the manufacturer.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Foxconn.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
The bigger question is how are they going to sell it?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

blugu64 posted:

The bigger question is how are they going to sell it?

They have a retail network, it's not hard to envision a model like the one Tesla uses in TX and NJ.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost
Apple isn't just a software company. They actually have to manage the manufacturing of products, although car manufacturing is a much harder manufacturing problem than electronics assembly. I am puzzled just like the earlier poster--how can you outsource car assembly? Could they partner with a Chinese car company?

I wonder how well they'll do. They certainly have a lot of money and a strong brand and so engineering talent will flock to them, like they currently do.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Sep 25, 2015

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

When you ask the Genius Bar why your car keeps mowing down pedestrians, they tell you you're holding it wrong.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

2019 is a long way away so anything can really happen between now and then.

Apple spent a lot of time and money working on a TV as well, it didn't pan out into a product.

Car sales are too low margin for Apple anyways. If anything they'll develop technology that they license out, but I doubt you'll be going to Apple Motors to pick up your iDrive Apple Car.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Linedance posted:

You have to buy an aftermarket clear plastic film to apply to the windscreen to protect from scratches and getting smashed by a rock. They also sell a variety of silicon rubber surrounds you can put over the car to protect it in parking lots.

Pontiac was ahead of its time. :rip:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

silence_kit posted:

Apple isn't just a software company. They actually have to manage the manufacturing of products, although car manufacturing is a much harder manufacturing problem than electronics assembly. I am puzzled just like the earlier poster--how can you outsource car assembly? Could they partner with a Chinese car company?

I wonder how well they'll do. They certainly have a lot of money and a strong brand and so engineering talent will flock to them, like they currently do.

Outsourcing car manufacturing is incredibly easy. Valmet, Magna Steyr, Karmann etc.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

EVs are fundamentally simpler beasts than ICE vehicles, and in some ways (though yes not in others) basically just a cell phone with a gigantic battery pack and wheel/brake functionality. By having a shitton of some of the best hadrware/software engineers and designers that also manufacture hardware they're practically 90% of the way to being able to manufacture an EV already. Their biggest hurdle will probably be similar to Tesla's, in that how are they going to handle being a bunch of Silicon Valley techno-libertarians used to getting away with whatever the gently caress they want in a way more regulated environment?

That said, I'm so dreading the iCar being a thing. I have a feeling that if it ever happens, the cars will be a great way to know right away who to avoid.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Ok so I normally just charge my E-Golf on the standard level 1 charger (fine for my needs/commute) but I've had the good fortune of being offered a Chargepoint station...

So I'll probably take it but I'm not sure of my options regarding actually plugging the thing in.

We have a 240v outlet for the dryer, can I use a split extension cord on that outlet and power both? Or maybe something that has two outlets, but can switch from one to the other with a switch? I'm not even sure if these things exist.

I guess I could also get the hardwired version but I live in a rental home, so wouldn't that be prohibitively expensive?

Just trying to figure out my options here.

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

Taima posted:

We have a 240v outlet for the dryer, can I use a split extension cord on that outlet and power both?

If you can find a cable with the right plugs and an amperage rating the same or greater than your dryer outlet circuit breaker (Check your electrical panel, the breaker will have it on the lever most likely), this will work. You probably won't be able to run the dryer and charge the car at the same time without tripping the breaker.

I can't imagine a hardwired outlet costing more than a few hundred dollars if your electrical panel is in or close to the garage.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Outsourcing car manufacturing is incredibly easy. Valmet, Magna Steyr, Karmann etc.

Oh, I had no idea that that existed. Do you know a lot about this? How much of modern car assembly is outsourced? I don't know much about this subject, but I'd be shocked if Honda/Toyota/other reliable car brands heavily rely on outsourcing assembly.

Boten Anna posted:

EVs are fundamentally simpler beasts than ICE vehicles, and in some ways (though yes not in others) basically just a cell phone with a gigantic battery pack and wheel/brake functionality. By having a shitton of some of the best hadrware/software engineers and designers that also manufacture hardware they're practically 90% of the way to being able to manufacture an EV already.

Hardware Engineer is a vague term and encompasses many super-specialized areas. I don't think that before Apple had started their car project, that they had anybody who knew anything about machines or electric machines. The manufacturing and logistical aspect of running a car company is way harder than being a cell phone company who outsources all manufacturing of the product.

silence_kit fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Sep 25, 2015

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I'd like all of you that think Apple is 90% of the way to being an automobile manufacturer to think of an iPhone's propensity to break when dropped from waist height, and apply that to the crashworthiness of a car.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Since when is word from 'sources close to the company' the same as 'Apple has confirmed'?

It might just be that I'm having trouble reading on my 'confirmed by sources close to Apple' TV.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

silence_kit posted:

Oh, I had no idea that that existed. Do you know a lot about this? How much of modern car assembly is outsourced? I don't know much about this subject, but I'd be shocked if Honda/Toyota/other reliable car brands heavily rely on outsourcing assembly.

Valmet used to build Porsche Boxters and Caymans. Before that it was at least Saabs and Opel Calibras. At the moment they build the Mercedes-Benz A-class. They also did the short production run of Fisker.

Edit: Cars produced at Valmet Automotive:
code:
Saab 95  1969–1975 2,833
Saab 96	 1969–1980 65,887
Saab 99	 1969–1984 191,049
Saab 90	 1983–1987 25,380
Saab 9000 1986–1990 8,267
Saab 900 1978–1992 238,898
Saab 900 / 9-3 Convertible 1986–2003 198,032
Saab 9-3 1999–2003 7,789
Saab total 1969–2003 738,135

Chrysler-Talbot	 1979–1985 31,978
Opel Calibra	 1991–1997 93,978
Euro-Samara	 1996–1998 14,048

Porsche Boxster	 1997–2010 168,477
Porsche Cayman	 2005–2011 59,413
Porsche total	 1997–2011 227,890

THINK City	 2009–2011 1,794
Garia Golf Car	 2009–2011 2,192
Fisker Karma	 2011–2012 2,718

Mercedes-Benz A-Class	 2013–	
in production

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 26, 2015

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Woah, I assumed it was only short-run or specialty vehicles that were outsourced like that.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Advent Horizon posted:

Since when is word from 'sources close to the company' the same as 'Apple has confirmed'?

It might just be that I'm having trouble reading on my 'confirmed by sources close to Apple' TV.

They haven't, but they definitely have some kind of project going, having hired automotive engineers, making use of a local automotive testing area, & met with the CA DMV about autonomous vehicle regulations, etc. The Wall Street Journal is a pretty credible source too. Whether it will be a fruitful project is of course, questionable.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Godholio posted:

Woah, I assumed it was only short-run or specialty vehicles that were outsourced like that.

Even happens state side with companies like AM General who are now making Mercedes.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

MrYenko posted:

I'd like all of you that think Apple is 90% of the way to being an automobile manufacturer to think of an iPhone's propensity to break when dropped from waist height, and apply that to the crashworthiness of a car.

Also consider they have a shitton of money and are able to attract pretty much any talent they want and that unlike dropping an iphone there are actually regulations on how crashworthy a car has to be before it can be sold. They have the resources to do it, and as much as I'd never loving buy an iCar, Apple making one isn't the most unbelievable thing really.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

MrYenko posted:

Have you dropped your car from waist height lately?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I stopped using harbor freight stuff years ago, so no

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Godholio posted:

It'd probably be better off than my phone. :argh:

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Has anyone used something like swapalease? I had never heard of it before today and I am interested in the concept. I want to get a Volt, but I am afraid to buy the current ones because the 2017 might make enormous leaps. I really wish I could "rent a Volt" for a year. A guy had one on craigslist to take over the lease but his lease was like 349 a month but I liked the idea. Anyway, I found swapalease and saw this

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2013-Chevrolet-Volt.aspx?salid=925207

Being able to get a car for 175 a month for a year would be tremendous. How does this work? Can I get screwed somehow? I look at this as 2k to buy a year to figure out what I want plus I get to drive a car I really like. The gas savings over my WRX almost pay for the drat lease hah!

note: I have never leased a car. Every car I have ever bought has been, to quote the great Randy Moss, "straight cash homey" so maybe I am asking a dumb question here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

Has anyone used something like swapalease? I had never heard of it before today and I am interested in the concept. I want to get a Volt, but I am afraid to buy the current ones because the 2017 might make enormous leaps. I really wish I could "rent a Volt" for a year. A guy had one on craigslist to take over the lease but his lease was like 349 a month but I liked the idea. Anyway, I found swapalease and saw this

http://www.swapalease.com/lease/details/2013-Chevrolet-Volt.aspx?salid=925207

Being able to get a car for 175 a month for a year would be tremendous. How does this work? Can I get screwed somehow? I look at this as 2k to buy a year to figure out what I want plus I get to drive a car I really like. The gas savings over my WRX almost pay for the drat lease hah!

note: I have never leased a car. Every car I have ever bought has been, to quote the great Randy Moss, "straight cash homey" so maybe I am asking a dumb question here.

I've looked into similar services. My feeling is any financially advantageous deal available through them is likely to be snapped up by someone in the trade well before you get a sniff of it. What's left is everyone who put zero down in the first place and boned every which way elsewhere in the contract, making the deals available no better and sometimes worse than just simply buying or leasing a similar car through conventional channels.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
What do you mean financially advantageous snapped up by someone in the trade? What would they do with it? Are you talking about buying the vehicle at the end?

If it says payment 175 for 15 months what in the contract could screw me over? I don't care if I can't buy it afterwards. I think what I am afraid of is somehow it costs me like a 700 to a grand between application fees and transfer fees and stuff like that.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

What do you mean financially advantageous snapped up by someone in the trade? What would they do with it? Are you talking about buying the vehicle at the end?

If it says payment 175 for 15 months what in the contract could screw me over? I don't care if I can't buy it afterwards. I think what I am afraid of is somehow it costs me like a 700 to a grand between application fees and transfer fees and stuff like that.

If someone puts 5000 down on a lease, and finds themselves needing to get out of the lease, and is putting up a deal that is just taking over their payments with no cash either way, that's a net gain for the new keeper. Those sorts of deals don't stick around, and there's probably a whole side business of people scouring these sites looking for deals like that.
What you end up with is someone who put 0 down at signing and the dealer coming out on top off the back end. The payments on those leases are going to be at least as high as if you just walked into a dealer with 0 down yourself and signed the same lease, and in a lot of cases you can do better just buying a similar off lease model "certified pre-owned" off the same dealer's lot.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

They can give you the option of a shorter-than-a-year lease though, right?

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Linedance posted:

What you end up with is someone who put 0 down at signing and the dealer coming out on top off the back end. The payments on those leases are going to be at least as high as if you just walked into a dealer with 0 down yourself and signed the same lease, and in a lot of cases you can do better just buying a similar off lease model "certified pre-owned" off the same dealer's lot.
If the lease has a $175 for 15 months (~1000 miles a month left too), what terms could I not know where the dealer comes out on top at the end? It seems like the payment and length is established so I don't understand what could happen to screw me over. I apologize if I am missing something simple. I have no intention of buying it at the end. I just want something for a year-18 months.

edit

Looking into this more and it looks like there is a lease transfer fee of 500 and it would cost at least 800 to get the car here so that effectively adds drat near 100 more bucks a month to the payment. If this was up the street I'd probably do it. Amortizing the transfer fee (if I even paid it) would still have me at 200, but that is sweet to basically rent a car much nicer than mine for 15 months.

VVV In the Volt yes. I have a truck I drive ~25% of the time and on most of my long trips

Ribsauce fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 26, 2015

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Are you sure you're only going to be driving a thousand miles a month?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Godholio posted:

Ummm....yes?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ribsauce posted:

If the lease has a $175 for 15 months (~1000 miles a month left too), what terms could I not know where the dealer comes out on top at the end? It seems like the payment and length is established so I don't understand what could happen to screw me over. I apologize if I am missing something simple. I have no intention of buying it at the end. I just want something for a year-18 months.

edit

Looking into this more and it looks like there is a lease transfer fee of 500 and it would cost at least 800 to get the car here so that effectively adds drat near 100 more bucks a month to the payment. If this was up the street I'd probably do it. Amortizing the transfer fee (if I even paid it) would still have me at 200, but that is sweet to basically rent a car much nicer than mine for 15 months.

VVV In the Volt yes. I have a truck I drive ~25% of the time and on most of my long trips

Say the guy on leasebusters put 0 down, pays 400/mo, has 18 months remaining in a 4 year lease. Never mind what the buyout is, you don't care either way, but suffice it to say that is the part that is geared to the dealer's favour. You could, and I'm generalizing here based on my own research when shopping for a car last year, buy the same 2 year old car off the dealer's lot for 15000. So great, you get to pay only 7200 - say 7500 to make the math easy - for a car selling for twice that. But if you'd just bought the one for 15k from the dealer, shovelled 400/mo into it for 18 months, then sold it on you pretty much always end up at least a few thousand up on the deal. These numbers are totally fabricated and might not be precisely realistic, but if you dig into the finances on all those deals on leasebusters etc., all you realize is "wow, all these deals are so bad", to the point where even just taking them over doesn't make them improve them.
Of course there are always exceptions, and if taking over a lease makes sense for your circumstances, by all means. But really do the research to find the few deals on there slightly better than the vast majority.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
If I want to learn about the current all electric vehicles on the market in the USA now, their pros vs. cons, general 'here's what they don't tell you about EVs' information, buyers guides, maintenance guides etc, should I read x-number of pages in this thread or is there a recommended resource elsewhere online?

I'm in the market for an EV to replace my dying Camry, I don't have a garage so I'd be getting an electrician to install something on the outside of my house, and the Tesla is out of my price range. I'm thinking about the Kia, the Mercedes, the Nissan, the BMW and the Chevy Bolt.

Bald Stalin fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Do you want a pure EV that never uses gas, do you want a plug-in hybrid that uses gas and a power plug, or do you want a not-plug-in hybrid that only takes gas?

• Locked thread