Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

hard counter posted:

Usually I read people sassing exorcists for their, uh, unique recruitment methods. Daemon-purging has (or had if the fluff changed) a low success rate and it was also the scout's last rite of passage towards full battle-bro status. Thanks to the burnout rate you end up with a big pile of corpses belonging to otherwise perfectly serviceable marines. Of course if all the progenoids are fully developed and harvested at least your stock of geneseed gets bumped up

Harvesting geneseed from demon-possessed marines. That sounds like a wonderful idea that could not possibly go wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
The exact process behind the Grey Knights and Minotaurs recruitment isn't known, so I have no idea if they recover the failed gene seed or not, what is known is that for both chapters the process has a vanishingly small success rate. The Minotaurs solved that problem in three ways; first they maintain two extra scout marine companies, second they recruit from High Terra itself giving them a gargantuan population pool and third they employ hypnotic indoctrination and neurocerebral surgery which rapidly increases the speed at which an initiate can become a full Space Marine, though it also has the downside of making the Minotaurs really aggro and surly even by Space Marine standards and they must be monitored and 'refreshed' routinely by the Apothecaries.

The Grey Knights solved the problem by just shrugging their shoulders and ignoring it entirely.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

The Lone Badger posted:

Harvesting geneseed from demon-possessed marines. That sounds like a wonderful idea that could not possibly go wrong.

Daemon possession is relatively benign in Warhammer 40k. The worst thing is if the possessed person tries for psychic powers they're likely to kick-start a localized warp-storm. Other than that it tends not to actually mess with the possessed person in any way beyond taking hold of their minds. Which is pretty bad in of itself but doesn't damage things like the gene-seed. So I'm assuming the way it works is daemon possession is induced in a sealed room, perhaps one with psychic dampening machines, and then if they fail to fight it off in the allotted time they're summarily killed so as to avoid doing damage beyond the loss of one Marine.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Neruz posted:

The Grey Knights solved the problem by just shrugging their shoulders and ignoring it entirely.

I wouldn't say that...

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 26, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Onmi posted:

By default it's set to a more skirmish 30 unit level, you can halve unit cap or multiply it via victory conditions

also I cannot get a good hold on the Sisters of Battle.

Ah that's interesting. I might try it, though I hope I wouldn't have to delete the current codex mod I'm using.

I can't speak for the mod, but it's probably a product that outside of Acts of Faith there is nothing that pops out of the Sister's line up. Seraphim were a really good fast attack, but that depends if the mod upped their damage to where it 'should' be. Like Immolators are no Russ or Predator, Exorcist doesn't compare to Basilisks, etc. In general I guess human walling and trying to do Acts to give you an edge, might be it? I dunno I'll check out the mod.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Eimi posted:

Ah that's interesting. I might try it, though I hope I wouldn't have to delete the current codex mod I'm using.

I can't speak for the mod, but it's probably a product that outside of Acts of Faith there is nothing that pops out of the Sister's line up. Seraphim were a really good fast attack, but that depends if the mod upped their damage to where it 'should' be. Like Immolators are no Russ or Predator, Exorcist doesn't compare to Basilisks, etc. In general I guess human walling and trying to do Acts to give you an edge, might be it? I dunno I'll check out the mod.

Nope, you do not need to delete any mods. Also I might set up a steam group for Goon DoW playing.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fuckmattward

there appropriatley named

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 26, 2015

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Onmi posted:

Nope, you do not need to delete any mods. Also I might set up a steam group for Goon DoW playing.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/fuckmattward

there appropriatley named

*joins*... crap I don't have the mod and I suck at this game.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Calax posted:

*joins*... crap I don't have the mod and I suck at this game.

Then you are in good company.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

The Lone Badger posted:

I stealth edited out a bit about ritual purification since I thought it got too wordy :v:

For that reason Blood Ravens can nick ancient geneseed that's been aboard a space hulk that's been so badly lost and immersed in the warp that boarding operations longer than 30 minutes corrupts the landing party.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

I put up a guide on how to install UA with the group, only to learn I hadn't installed the 1.83 patch. So all my tests were for nothing.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Joined, mind that I'm extremely bad. Still, given timezone shenanigans I probably don't need to be afraid of actually doing any MP.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

Joined, mind that I'm extremely bad. Still, given timezone shenanigans I probably don't need to be afraid of actually doing any MP.

Well I'm still trying to get a feel for it, so lets play a match right now.

EDIT: at least once I find out why I can only use the Sisters, Deldar and mod races when I have the other games installed.

EDIT: And all fixed finally. Not sure how it changed.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 26, 2015

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
A better question would be where do you guys get your information about the units? I'd love to play DoW tyranids, though I'd probably prefer to play them on a smaller scale. I like DoW but when I hear about hour long games, this is intimidating and impossible for me to follow through. I know there's a tyranids mod for Dark Crusade somewhere... I searched for websites describing unit stats but found nothing.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Neige posted:

A better question would be where do you guys get your information about the units? I'd love to play DoW tyranids, though I'd probably prefer to play them on a smaller scale. I like DoW but when I hear about hour long games, this is intimidating and impossible for me to follow through. I know there's a tyranids mod for Dark Crusade somewhere... I searched for websites describing unit stats but found nothing.

I have... 193 hours in Soulstorm, I cannot tell you what the stats of my most used armies are, I cannot even say I'm very good at the game.

EDIT: http://ultimate-apocalypse-mod.wikia.com/ But this should give you some idea.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Sep 26, 2015

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

hard counter posted:

For that reason Blood Ravens can nick ancient geneseed that's been aboard a space hulk that's been so badly lost and immersed in the warp that boarding operations longer than 30 minutes corrupts the landing party.

"Gene seed" is a euphemism for dog-tags. They're really fancy dog-tags though, so you only get another set years later when the master dog-tag scribe has finished using the blessed scanning-tunnelling microscope to decorate the whole surface with the sanctified fractal pattern of the chapter. That little chain knife on the narthecium is needed to cut the extremely tough chain they're hung on.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

goatface posted:

"Gene seed" is a euphemism for dog-tags. They're really fancy dog-tags though, so you only get another set years later when the master dog-tag scribe has finished using the blessed scanning-tunnelling microscope to decorate the whole surface with the sanctified fractal pattern of the chapter. That little chain knife on the narthecium is needed to cut the extremely tough chain they're hung on.
They are also Dog Tags you can insert into a regular human, Also their preservation would have prevented their corruption. Apothacary don't gently caress around with their work.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You can give a regular human the tags and name that is written on them, but they still need all the organ implants.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

goatface posted:

You can give a regular human the tags and name that is written on them, but they still need all the organ implants.

Yes but the Gene seed is the core one. It's why it's so important.

EDIT: This LP is going to end with Davian Cool coming back from the dead to steal the victory from Kais, thanking him for the gift of a sequel where the Tau aren't a playable race.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Sep 26, 2015

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Onmi posted:

Yes but the Gene seed is the core one. It's why it's so important.

EDIT: This LP is going to end with Davian Cool coming back from the dead to steal the victory from Kais, thanking him for the gift of a sequel where the Tau aren't a playable race.

The Tau aren't sure, but the commander for last stand mode is clearly O'Kais proving himself as the greatest Tau soldier ever.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

The Tau aren't sure, but the commander for last stand mode is clearly O'Kais proving himself as the greatest Tau soldier ever.

The Tau Commander in Last Stand mode is O'Kais back to get his bloody victory back from Thule.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
The lastest patch for dow2 added the last of the missing pre-order wargear to the vanilla campaign. Now I can spam master crafted granades and normal granades to my hearts content :allears:

Iretep fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Sep 26, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Iretep posted:

The lastest patch for dow2 added the last of the missing pre-order wargear to the vanilla campaign. Now I can spam master crafter granades and normal granades to my hearts content :allears:

I think Relic realized they had to do some things to show Sega that they have stock making 40k games, and to keep DoW in the fanbases mind (though honestly it would be hard to get it out of our minds) Hence why they've been patching their games every now and then. I really do hope that Sega gives them the go-ahead on DoW III. While it's been interesting to see other people's take on the Warhammer 40k license we've had some really irredeemable crap come up.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Actually I know I'm just being lovely here, but could someone do a similar post to the earlier SoB info on the Dark Eldar? They look kinda cool.
Yeah, I'm too lazy to figure out units in an RTS.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I would kill to get either Bioware or Obsidian do a really big awesome Dark Heresy rpg. Just like go investigate something on this Hive World and its about you descending deeper and deeper into this hosed up place.

Never played Deldar so I'm not any use there.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Dark Heresy? Please, I want me a rogue trader game. Sandbox colony-building treasure-hunting space-exploring spaceship rpg in the 40k universe. Loot that can kill you! Having so much purchasing power it can only be measured as a roll-under stat and starting off with a ship as big as a city.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

I would kill to get either Bioware or Obsidian do a really big awesome Dark Heresy rpg. Just like go investigate something on this Hive World and its about you descending deeper and deeper into this hosed up place.

I think either could do a reasonable job with it. There is an Imperial Guard regiment that just fought and destroyed a Chaos warband which summoned daemons at the apex of the battle. Do you...

1. Execute the surviving Guardsmen en masse (+2 Puritan, +1 Ecclesiarchy relations, -1 Imperial Guard relations)

2. Conscript the surviving Guardsmen into the Inquisition's service as your private army (+2 Radical, +1 Imperial Guard relations)

3. Order the surviving Guardsmen converted into combat servitors for the continuing defense of the planet (+2 Adeptus Mechanicus relations)

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

anilEhilated posted:

Actually I know I'm just being lovely here, but could someone do a similar post to the earlier SoB info on the Dark Eldar? They look kinda cool.
Yeah, I'm too lazy to figure out units in an RTS.

Dark Eldars main problem is that they are frail. They try to make up for this by hitting hard. Since they also dont have that much range this has some limited results usually leading to the dark eldar murdering a lot of stuff but dying out since they get shot back a lot too. They are not as bad as Sister of battle though. I had some problems with a few of the strongholds early on since dark eldar have pretty terrible base defence. This can be mitigated with getting a strong honour guard and leaving them to defend though.
Mandrakes are your cappers and later they can be upgraded to kill stuff too I guess. Since the AI is dumb I sometimes upgrade them and leave them to defend some capping point so the AI wont take it. Wouldnt really build them beyond on for capping though.
Warrior squads stay pretty good throughout the game. Short range, high damage and frail. Expect them to murder stuff and then dying.
Scourges are your anti tank guys, they make pretty decent anti infrantry too but I personally like to use warriors for that.
Warp Beast Pack and Wyches are pretty nice, build them if you need more melee. Wyches are really frail mind you, so dont rely on them to taking a punch.
Raiders have some pretty good damage but id mainly use them as transports as needed. Units inside the raider will fire their guns too. I'd build more of them but I like ravagers more.
Talos are basically dreadnaughts. Buy them if you need them.
Ravagers pretty much kill everything. Buy them if you can get them.
Dais of Destruction is amazing and kills everything much like ravagers. It also puts up a protective field around all nearby units.
Dark Eldar also have their global powers. The ultimate is especially nice since it allows you to kill fortifications that would normally take a lot of losses. The others have some situational use.
If you're good at rushing skirmish maps shouldnt be any problem to you since their entire tactic is rush rush rush. Some strongholds can become pretty nasty depending on what kind of base assaults the AI sends. IG especially got really nasty for me at the end.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

NewMars posted:

Dark Heresy? Please, I want me a rogue trader game. Sandbox colony-building treasure-hunting space-exploring spaceship rpg in the 40k universe. Loot that can kill you! Having so much purchasing power it can only be measured as a roll-under stat and starting off with a ship as big as a city.

Eh I like really focused stories and I'd love to just stay on one planet and explore life in the Imperium that isn't on Cadia. RT could work for a sandbox game agreed but it'd be a much different experience. Not a worse one, just a different. No reason both couldn't exist. :v:

Cythereal posted:

I think either could do a reasonable job with it. There is an Imperial Guard regiment that just fought and destroyed a Chaos warband which summoned daemons at the apex of the battle. Do you...

1. Execute the surviving Guardsmen en masse (+2 Puritan, +1 Ecclesiarchy relations, -1 Imperial Guard relations)

2. Conscript the surviving Guardsmen into the Inquisition's service as your private army (+2 Radical, +1 Imperial Guard relations)

3. Order the surviving Guardsmen converted into combat servitors for the continuing defense of the planet (+2 Adeptus Mechanicus relations)

I also wouldn't mind they had some fun with it Ciaphas Cain style too. ...or just making a Cain rpg where you can play as Cain or Amberly.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I'm wondering if my consistently poor track record in 2 v 2 maps is due to me just being awful or my AI partner just being pants on head. I say this because on two attempts of 2 Space Marines vs Random (Which turned out to be Space Marine and Eldar) without fail I'd attempt to make incursions into Eldar territory and there would be a horde of bikes and tactical marines with the Eldar forces against my woefully malnourished squad or 1 or 2 tact marines.

Then again I do blame myself, when I focus on teching up and building buildings I tend to not focus on the army at all, and when I'm focusing on the army I'll just blank on handling buildings. It doesn't help that the Scout marines are just awful. Even if you get them infiltration and sniper rifles. They have some late-game use with satchel charges but that has a ridiculously short range which tends to lead to them getting spotted.

As an aside, my great dislike in this game is how height fucks with your aiming some times. I have my Scouts on a hill infiltrated within firing range of a target. They will run down the hill into the enemy base to engage with the sniper rifle. Or you'll build turrets on a hill that wont shoot down into a valley. I love this game but height creating almost impenetrable walls that you can't use to your advantage really just makes me sigh.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eimi posted:

Eh I like really focused stories and I'd love to just stay on one planet and explore life in the Imperium that isn't on Cadia. RT could work for a sandbox game agreed but it'd be a much different experience. Not a worse one, just a different. No reason both couldn't exist. :v:

I also wouldn't mind they had some fun with it Ciaphas Cain style too. ...or just making a Cain rpg where you can play as Cain or Amberly.

Cain and Amberly, Every time he runs away screaming from a horde of angry orks, cut across the galaxy to Amberly doing the same to get into cover fighting some monsterous alien. Cain meeting up with the Reclaimers? Amberly gets to hang out with the Deathwatch.

EDIT: Quote is not edit.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

So I'm wondering if my consistently poor track record in 2 v 2 maps is due to me just being awful or my AI partner just being pants on head. I say this because on two attempts of 2 Space Marines vs Random (Which turned out to be Space Marine and Eldar) without fail I'd attempt to make incursions into Eldar territory and there would be a horde of bikes and tactical marines with the Eldar forces against my woefully malnourished squad or 1 or 2 tact marines.

Then again I do blame myself, when I focus on teching up and building buildings I tend to not focus on the army at all, and when I'm focusing on the army I'll just blank on handling buildings. It doesn't help that the Scout marines are just awful. Even if you get them infiltration and sniper rifles. They have some late-game use with satchel charges but that has a ridiculously short range which tends to lead to them getting spotted.

As an aside, my great dislike in this game is how height fucks with your aiming some times. I have my Scouts on a hill infiltrated within firing range of a target. They will run down the hill into the enemy base to engage with the sniper rifle. Or you'll build turrets on a hill that wont shoot down into a valley. I love this game but height creating almost impenetrable walls that you can't use to your advantage really just makes me sigh.

Yeah...the whole....combat ai is....interesting. It's not as terrible as DoW2's ai which only cares about points, but I notice there's a tendency for units to just want to fire and move, stuff like terrain messing up stuff, and there are totally units that are obsolete as soon as you buy them.

Scout snipers suck just because snipers in this game are more anit-morale rather than anti-unit so they kind of suck. And I also don't think there's as high a value of picking models off squads like there is in dow2. Snipers are scary when 2-3 shots picks off a tac marine and your tac squads are only 3 units big. That's a huge difference. When its what an 8-9 unit squad losing one guy doesn't matter as much. (Granted when I play SM my strategy is dread spam)

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eimi posted:

Yeah...the whole....combat ai is....interesting. It's not as terrible as DoW2's ai which only cares about points, but I notice there's a tendency for units to just want to fire and move, stuff like terrain messing up stuff, and there are totally units that are obsolete as soon as you buy them.

Scout snipers suck just because snipers in this game are more anit-morale rather than anti-unit so they kind of suck. And I also don't think there's as high a value of picking models off squads like there is in dow2. Snipers are scary when 2-3 shots picks off a tac marine and your tac squads are only 3 units big. That's a huge difference. When its what an 8-9 unit squad losing one guy doesn't matter as much. (Granted when I play SM my strategy is dread spam)

Well your marine squads in UA are limited to 4+2 leaders (You can build Apothecary, Banner Bearers, Skull Probes and Sergeants as leader upgrades) but each individual marine is stronger. Also they're limited to a single heavy weapon unless researched to allow 2.

The thing with Scouts is I don't know what to give them, regular bolters doesn't make their damage go up all that much I found, and Combat Shotguns while neat are... a death sentence? A death sentence. The thing is there's not much point to morale breaking when your opponent starts spamming tanks. And if you're attacking their base by god have they managed to turret their base heavily with all the Anti-Vehicle equipment in the world to shred Dreadnoughts?

Oh, but a single Attack Bike is apparently gods gift to the universe, because your regular Tact Marines can't do poo poo to vehicles without heavy weapons upgrades.

In short, even if you do get off the ground, Space Marines I've found are either "I got in fast so you didn't have time to build anything" or "I have enough Flamethrower Razorbacks for your infantry, Dreadnoughts for your vehicles, and Devastators to just throw bolt to overwhelm you."

I've still not found a way to make Vanguard and Sternguard veterans work. I mean Assault Marines and Devastator Marines are obvious. The former can only jump and punch, the latter stands back, hopefully doesn't get attacked and plinks.

But the Sternguard can equip pretty much any ranged weapon minus plasma cannons. So... their flexibility makes me hesitate. the Vanguard are almost worse. Let's not even get into Terminators (due to how slow they are to build) and I've never managed to make Combat Servitors work.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

Well your marine squads in UA are limited to 4+2 leaders (You can build Apothecary, Banner Bearers, Skull Probes and Sergeants as leader upgrades) but each individual marine is stronger. Also they're limited to a single heavy weapon unless researched to allow 2.

The thing with Scouts is I don't know what to give them, regular bolters doesn't make their damage go up all that much I found, and Combat Shotguns while neat are... a death sentence? A death sentence. The thing is there's not much point to morale breaking when your opponent starts spamming tanks. And if you're attacking their base by god have they managed to turret their base heavily with all the Anti-Vehicle equipment in the world to shred Dreadnoughts?

Oh, but a single Attack Bike is apparently gods gift to the universe, because your regular Tact Marines can't do poo poo to vehicles without heavy weapons upgrades.

In short, even if you do get off the ground, Space Marines I've found are either "I got in fast so you didn't have time to build anything" or "I have enough Flamethrower Razorbacks for your infantry, Dreadnoughts for your vehicles, and Devastators to just throw bolt to overwhelm you."

I've still not found a way to make Vanguard and Sternguard veterans work. I mean Assault Marines and Devastator Marines are obvious. The former can only jump and punch, the latter stands back, hopefully doesn't get attacked and plinks.

But the Sternguard can equip pretty much any ranged weapon minus plasma cannons. So... their flexibility makes me hesitate. the Vanguard are almost worse. Let's not even get into Terminators (due to how slow they are to build) and I've never managed to make Combat Servitors work.

Huh, it sounds like they borrowed more from DoW2 than the models. Do the Sternguardss have free weapon swaps? Their strength over just generic tacs who can take any weapon, should be swapping midfight, like a more microed Obliterator. Vanguard, at least from DoW2 was just more melee damage/hp, which I don't think is that good in DoW1. Can you give them powerfists so they can go vehicle hunting?

Also in terms of vehicles in DoW2 vehicles needed very hard counters, so rocket launchers on your tacs and lazcannons on your devastators at the least.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 26, 2015

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eimi posted:

Huh, it sounds like they borrowed more from DoW2 than the models. Do the Sternguardss have free weapon swaps? Their strength over just generic tacs who can take any weapon, should be swapping midfight, like a more microed Obliterator. Vanguard, at least from DoW2 was just more melee damage/hp, which I don't think is that good in DoW1. Can you give them powerfists so they can go vehicle hunting?

Also in terms of vehicles in DoW2 vehicles needed very hard counters, so rocket launchers on your tacs and lazcannons on your devastators at the least.

Nope to Sternguards, Yup to Vanguard who can either be given Storm Shields, Power Fists or Lightning Claws. Given SM unit costs (Tact Marines are 250 Req. A reminder that you only get two of them, and reinforcing is 100+ Req) I've never even seen them be useful enough to warrant it. I will say I love the Whirlwind Mk.II It's near continuous fire missile barrage that gets inaccurate over long distances but you can make all the missiles leave an inferno and just shell the poo poo out of anything.

Unfortunately, like many mods, At Tier-3 for Space Marines you pretty much get access to "all the Landraiders" and it's painful trying to distinguish which one you need. One thing I like with Vehicles? They feature a 'Ram' mode that allows them to plow through enemy standing units. It takes away their weapons, but if you ever wanted to see your Predator just bowl over a horde of Orks before stopping in the center and activating its flamers? Amazing.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

Nope to Sternguards, Yup to Vanguard who can either be given Storm Shields, Power Fists or Lightning Claws. Given SM unit costs (Tact Marines are 250 Req. A reminder that you only get two of them, and reinforcing is 100+ Req) I've never even seen them be useful enough to warrant it. I will say I love the Whirlwind Mk.II It's near continuous fire missile barrage that gets inaccurate over long distances but you can make all the missiles leave an inferno and just shell the poo poo out of anything.

Unfortunately, like many mods, At Tier-3 for Space Marines you pretty much get access to "all the Landraiders" and it's painful trying to distinguish which one you need. One thing I like with Vehicles? They feature a 'Ram' mode that allows them to plow through enemy standing units. It takes away their weapons, but if you ever wanted to see your Predator just bowl over a horde of Orks before stopping in the center and activating its flamers? Amazing.

That's odd since iirc Sternguards gimic is that they just have all kinds of different ammo so they are average anti-everything. And weird to see a limit on basic troops. Also in any big scale fights Whirlwinds/Exorcists own since that disruption starts to become really meaningful.

Can you say what variants are available? Crusader is medium range dakka, Redeemer is close range flamer good, Phobos is tank hunter, Ares is the most destructive, others I'd have to look up.

Personally I'm a fan of the Crusader since it's just literally ALL the bolters.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eimi posted:

That's odd since iirc Sternguards gimic is that they just have all kinds of different ammo so they are average anti-everything. And weird to see a limit on basic troops. Also in any big scale fights Whirlwinds/Exorcists own since that disruption starts to become really meaningful.

Can you say what variants are available? Crusader is medium range dakka, Redeemer is close range flamer good, Phobos is tank hunter, Ares is the most destructive, others I'd have to look up.

Personally I'm a fan of the Crusader since it's just literally ALL the bolters.

Well it's more a limit of the Dawn of War System. You can give drat near any weapon to the Sternguard, but that squad is locked to them.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

gently caress, you'd think they'd just let you buy the pieces on the land raider to save space in the vehicle shop.

Alright so looking up what the Helios and Prometheus do....

No idea how the gently caress Prometheus would translate to a video game, it's an anti cover tank in a game where cover doesn't really matter. Less transport spots, anti cover abilities, and two quad bolters.

Helios is long range fire support, two twin-linked lazcannons and a missile battery. So...its a bigger whirlwind.

Also their wiki pisses me off. Its so useless for any faction that doesn't end in Marine.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Sep 26, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Crusader is medium range dakka, Redeemer is close range flamer good, Phobos is tank hunter, Ares is the most destructive, others I'd have to look up.

There are lots of Land Raider versions.

Phobos is schizophrenic/versatile: it's the Raider in Dawn of War 1 with two TL lascannons and a TL heavy bolter.

Crusader is the focused transport: holds more people, has two hurricane bolters, a TL assault cannon, frag assault launchers, and an optional multi-melta.

Redeemer is the close-range fighter: it's the raider from Dawn of War 2 and is functionally a Crusader that replaces the bolters with flamers.

Ares is the line-breaker, completely dumping transport capability for a demolisher cannon, TL heavy flamer sponsons, and a TL assault cannon.

Terminus Ultra is the Titan-hunter, ditching transport capability for three TL lascannons and two single lascannons.

Achilles is the tanky tank, being even more heavily armored than normal, immune to the special extra armor piercing qualities of lances and meltas, and carries a thunderfire cannon (rapid-fire quad-barrel mortar) and TL multi-melta sponsons but can carry less people than the basic Phobos model.

Helios is the artillery option, carrying a Whirlwind's missile launcher, option to carry an anti-air missile launcher, and TL lascannon sponsons while still carrying a small number of troops.

Prometheus is a weird one, swapping a few transport spaces for two quad heavy bolters and a sensor array that does things relevant only to the tabletop.

Proteus is the original model of Land Raider and has reduced transport slots but more customizable weapons and a bunch of special rules that include a version of the Prometheus' sensor array and the Achilles' resistance to melta weapons.

Excelsior is the command variant and carries a grav-cannon, buffs friendly units, and does some other esoteric tabletop-only things.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Terminus Ultra is so heavily armed that firing all the cannons at once has a chance of exploding the drat thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
But which ones are good?

• Locked thread