Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Dalael posted:

I play all ships and I'm a rather mediocre player at that. BB's are probably my worst and yet I have no issues with carriers. You can actively try to avoid TB and still keep shooting. Its not wargamming's fault if most people just want to go in a straight line at max speed without having to do a single course correction. I rarely ever get hit by more than 1 torpedoes. And when I do get hit by a full broadside, it is always because I wasn't paying enough attention and saw the plane coming too late.

Currently my highest BB is only Tier 6, so it may be different at higher tier. Although in beta, I had a tier 8 and still didn't think carriers were that much of a problem.

In my opinion, at medium tiers, DD's are the ones to be feared when in a BB.

It is different. The planes are so goddamn fast that when you spot them at 6km, you have like 10 seconds to get your rudder over before they drop. And if the CV sees the turn, they'll loop around and try again, all while your AA drops maybe 1-2 planes out of their 7 plane squadrons. And if you shoot them all down? Oh well, more where that came from because they have 100+ plane hangars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

El Disco posted:

It is different. The planes are so goddamn fast that when you spot them at 6km, you have like 10 seconds to get your rudder over before they drop. And if the CV sees the turn, they'll loop around and try again, all while your AA drops maybe 1-2 planes out of their 7 plane squadrons. And if you shoot them all down? Oh well, more where that came from because they have 100+ plane hangars.

Pretty much this. Congrats on maybe knocking or thinning out one squad, here are 2 more squads behind it that you didnt even have a chance of doing a thing against. Also by that tier the CV player is probably going to be halfway decent and those 3 TB squads are going to be stacked on top of each other or close enough to it. So you have to completely avoid the torpedoes or you're going to end up eating at least 3 at best. Or they're going to use those 3 squads to launch on either side and good luck avoiding any of that.

Heres an example of high tier CV game.

185 planes shot down by my team and you still have full enemy squadrons flying around. Obviously this was before the patch that balanced CV #s but it still stands in showing how ridiculous the plane #s on high tier CVs are.

DurosKlav fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Sep 26, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

DurosKlav posted:

Pretty much this. Congrats on maybe knocking or thinning out one squad, here are 2 more squads behind it that you didnt even have a chance of doing a thing against. Also by that tier the CV player is probably going to be halfway decent and those 3 TB squads are going to be stacked on top of each other or close enough to it. So you have to completely avoid the torpedoes or you're going to end up eating at least 3 at best. Or they're going to use those 3 squads to launch on either side and good luck avoiding any of that.

Heres an example of high tier CV game.

185 planes shot down by my team and you still have full enemy squadrons flying around. Obviously this was before the patch that balanced CV #s but it still stands in showing how ridiculous the plane #s on high tier CVs are.

Got that feeling the other day when I played against a Ryujo. I managed to draw his 3 fighter squads over 2 cleveland and proceeded to murder them with the cleveland's help. My TB and DB went on their way to a ship and surprise surprise, they get intercepted by more fighter squads and never even made it close. Within 5 min of the game starting, I was without any planes left.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
In all likelihood, this is just me being Bad At Games, but: Is the Nagato objectively worse than the Fuso? Admittedly, I have a captain with all of the secondary skill boosts and the flag equipped, plus a fully equipped ship with the accuracy boost on the main turrets (all but the final hull upgrade). I'm also trying to close to ~8-12km, where a Fuso is practically guaranteed a citadel or two every other salvo versus anything short of an equal tier BB (and still rocks those sometimes). But, the Nagato just... misses. I guess it's having less guns per salvo plus the slightly higher base inaccuracy, but it's really frustrating. I could get 100K+ games in the Fuso yet I'm barely scratching 40K so far in the Nagato. Despite having so many secondaries, if you get that close they still bounce vs. BBs and miss mostly versus DDs. I guess they hurt CLs, but in a Fuso I'd just two salvo those before getting remotely close?

Does it have a different engagement envelope due to the larger guns? Should I be trying to stay 12km+ away or getting within ramming distance?

Edit: The round after I complain I die like a literal mouth breather to an Atlanta and a Tirpitz (which did nothing) because even well aimed shots fly over the Atlanta at 7km despite aiming at the waterline? I don't get it.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Sep 26, 2015

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Dalael posted:

I play all ships and I'm a rather mediocre player at that. BB's are probably my worst and yet I have no issues with carriers. You can actively try to avoid TB and still keep shooting. Its not wargamming's fault if most people just want to go in a straight line at max speed without having to do a single course correction. I rarely ever get hit by more than 1 torpedoes. And when I do get hit by a full broadside, it is always because I wasn't paying enough attention and saw the plane coming too late.

Currently my highest BB is only Tier 6, so it may be different at higher tier. Although in beta, I had a tier 8 and still didn't think carriers were that much of a problem.

In my opinion, at medium tiers, DD's are the ones to be feared when in a BB.

Both of my BBs are T5, but I get uptiered nearly every match since they're new, and am often getting double and triple dropped by T7 and T8 carriers. It doesn't matter how wily I try to get with zig-zagging and changing speeds, the lack of AA on my boat and the number of TBs coming after me dropping from different directions with virtually no arming distance wrecks me.

It wasn't so bad in my T4 BBs, but since I upgraded it seems like it's been nothing but T6 and higher CVs matched against me. The only time I feel like I can contribute is when I get into a match with no CVs at all. Otherwise, I spend the entire game watching the little red TB icons hover around me, dreading the inevitable multi-direction drop.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

ToiletDuckie posted:

In all likelihood, this is just me being Bad At Games, but: Is the Nagato objectively worse than the Fuso? Admittedly, I have a captain with all of the secondary skill boosts and the flag equipped, plus a fully equipped ship with the accuracy boost on the main turrets (all but the final hull upgrade). I'm also trying to close to ~8-12km, where a Fuso is practically guaranteed a citadel or two every other salvo versus anything short of an equal tier BB (and still rocks those sometimes). But, the Nagato just... misses. I guess it's having less guns per salvo plus the slightly higher base inaccuracy, but it's really frustrating. I could get 100K+ games in the Fuso yet I'm barely scratching 40K so far in the Nagato. Despite having so many secondaries, if you get that close they still bounce vs. BBs and miss mostly versus DDs. I guess they hurt CLs, but in a Fuso I'd just two salvo those before getting remotely close?

Does it have a different engagement envelope due to the larger guns? Should I be trying to stay 12km+ away or getting within ramming distance?

Edit: The round after I complain I die like a literal mouth breather to an Atlanta and a Tirpitz (which did nothing) because even well aimed shots fly over the Atlanta at 7km despite aiming at the waterline? I don't get it.

Excluding the Japanese tier 2 destroyer, the alpha reward ship and, oddly, Marblehead, Fuso has the highest win rate in the game. Nagato isn't a downgrade, but it's a fairly small upgrade. Fuso is certainly better for its tier.
You trade raw damage output and ability to win fights through sheer idiot strength for advantages in other areas. Especially survivability. You're better at close range than a Fuso, but longer range works too.

The guns are higher velocity - you might be missing because of that?
If I remember right it also has garbage AP ammo on the stock hull. The other 410 mm gun ships definitely do.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

James Garfield posted:

The guns are higher velocity - you might be missing because of that?
If I remember right it also has garbage AP ammo on the stock hull. The other 410 mm gun ships definitely do.

I have the second hull. It may just be confirmation bias since I only have ~7 games in the ship. It's certainly amusing to land the ~12K damage single hit citadels from time to time, but I miss the consistency of the Fuso.

65K life and massive secondaries do let you at least try to bully DDs and CLs up close. I'm just completely disappointed with the gun accuracy, by which I mean "I'm aiming where I need to aim to hit a citadel but the shots go wide", not "I'm used to the Fuso so my shots whiff due to velocity". I pretty much live off of ALT + check shell flight times, anyway.

It could also be the desire to get too close leading to playing like a retard and driving straight in at the start of the game... that also doesn't bode well for effectiveness. Yet, even there, aiming at people 9KM out seems like a crapshoot compared to the Fuso.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 26, 2015

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

ToiletDuckie posted:

I pretty much live off of ALT + check shell flight times, anyway.
Might as well turn on alternative interface mode in the options. It is like holding alt all game.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006

wukkar posted:

Might as well turn on alternative interface mode in the options. It is like holding alt all game.

Thanks, I'll give this a try. OK, you have greatly simplified my life.

ToiletDuckie fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 26, 2015

Lakedaimon
Jan 11, 2007

I managed to detonate an Atlanta while firing 8" High Explosive at it. Didnt think that could happen. I swear I have caused more detonations with cruiser guns than I have with battleships bigass shells

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Light cruisers turning their side to your battleship will never stop being the best thing.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ToiletDuckie posted:

If it's any consolation, the Colorado has the same thing going on except it has decent AA instead of decent secondaries.

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Aesis posted:

Depends on what you shot with Cleveland. Apparently xp reward is based on % of damage done to your target (not raw damage), so if you were doing 30k damage to destroyers then you get more xp from that then doing 30k damage to cruisers or battleships.
:stare:

What in the gently caress.

Invader Mat
Aug 16, 2012

xthetenth posted:

Light cruisers turning their side to your battleship will never stop being the best thing.

This is why I battleship. Tagging a cruiser heading for cover just before it gets behind an island is so satisfying

Kekeke!
Nov 5, 2003

"Jesus christ man where did all these koreans come from!"
I absolutely hate the standard match mode. I don't think I have ever had a match where people played as if they understood the base cap mechanic. I feel like Ocean is a match that ends in draw more often than a win or loss for one side.

Kekeke! fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Sep 26, 2015

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I'm guilty of being a dumb pubby in standard battles. my justification is that shooting botes is much more fun than doing boatdonuts in an arbitrary circle. :(

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

TehKeen posted:

I'm guilty of being a dumb pubby in standard battles. my justification is that shooting botes is much more fun than doing boatdonuts in an arbitrary circle. :(

There are very few situations where sailing into the cap in anything other than a DD is a good idea. With the exception of ocean, cap rushes almost always end in the rushing team getting wrecked.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

to Accursed 2 leave armour

Evil_Greven posted:

another good reason to go full retard on DDs as soon as you spot them

LokyarBrightmane
Sep 25, 2015
Is there an eu clan?

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Aesis posted:

Depends on what you shot with Cleveland. Apparently xp reward is based on % of damage done to your target (not raw damage), so if you were doing 30k damage to destroyers then you get more xp from that then doing 30k damage to cruisers or battleships.

Wow. Got a source for that?

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

I read it on the forums a while back, but it's definitely true. Try picking exclusively on DDs or light cruisers for a few games and see the credits you walk away with even doing <30k damage

Lady Morgaga
Aug 27, 2012

by Smythe
Yeah I noticed it as well. You definitely getting more for killing one DD then one CA,

Hoboskins
Aug 31, 2006

there is a rumour going around that I have found God. I think this is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist
yeah it certainly explains the seemingly arbitrary xp and money I have been getting since I started playing. I have just bought some Battleships, Tier 3 of both countries any tips on how to avoid being a bad? Previous tips on how to torpedo were good.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
The best advice for driving a BB is to not drive in straight lines all the time so you don't eat said torpedoes. Change direction and speed fairly often, if you see torpedo bombers coming for you try to turn into them. Only ever fire AP.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

LokyarBrightmane posted:

Is there an eu clan?

No boat clans that I know of, plus with your reg date i think you would have a tough time getting in it.

We are goons that play botes not botes that play goons or something like that, I have no idea.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Hoboskins posted:

yeah it certainly explains the seemingly arbitrary xp and money I have been getting since I started playing. I have just bought some Battleships, Tier 3 of both countries any tips on how to avoid being a bad? Previous tips on how to torpedo were good.

While it's difficult to do because of your speed, being close/mid-range is best.

Also especially against battleships, I've found angling your ship to reduce incoming damage is better than trying to get all of your guns pointed at a guy.

And lastly, resign yourself to the torpedo bomber, it's going to happen, and there's not a whole lot you can do.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Stanley Pain posted:

The best advice for driving a BB is to not drive in straight lines all the time so you don't eat said torpedoes. Change direction and speed fairly often, if you see torpedo bombers coming for you try to turn into them. Only ever fire AP.

"Only ever fire AP" is too absolute. Switching to HE against DDs can save you sometimes. A salvo of HE can one-shot a DD, while a salvo of AP will usually leave them alive.

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G

I just want to win :negative:

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
The XP thing makes sense though, if you kill 3 DD in a match you have like 30-35k damage done and it is obviously better for your team as if you do the same amount of damage to a cruiser or battleship.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

PirateBob posted:

"Only ever fire AP" is too absolute. Switching to HE against DDs can save you sometimes. A salvo of HE can one-shot a DD, while a salvo of AP will usually leave them alive.

I would actually go as far as to say never fire AP at destroyers if you can help it, obviously if you have a shot it's better to fire a volley of AP and THEN switch to HE but if there's a DD coming up and you don't have a shot at anything else/really want to get rid of the DD then preloading HE is a good idea.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Evil_Greven posted:

Makes sense honestly. It's harder to do the same damage shooting a weaving destroyer with no citadel, and theoretically killing a destroyer, cruiser or bb are supposed to be similar pushes towards victory.

Invader Mat posted:

This is why I battleship. Tagging a cruiser heading for cover just before it gets behind an island is so satisfying

Yeah, so's being able to torment battleship drivers whinging about dispersion with your seven citadels including a oneshot salvo and 100k damage at tier four because two idiots turned their side to you. It was nice seeing that guy in off topic chat.

yaay
Aug 4, 2006

uh if you have time to make the 30 second switch the DD is either bad and already missed or too far away to be a threat. They're like not poo poo CVs in that if a DD wants to cut off its nose to spite your face battleship's face your practical options are to yell at your cruisers or carrier to deal with them, or to play like a complete bitch, which is a moral victory for them anyway

e: the real reason for the % thing is that WG probably don't want people making more than X amount of money per match, which is what the fat HP pool+ repair ability of battleships enables. Because WG are of course pricks.

yaay fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Sep 26, 2015

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

yaay posted:

uh if you have time to make the 30 second switch the DD is either bad and already missed or too far away to be a threat. They're like not poo poo CVs in that if a DD wants to cut off its nose to spite your face battleship's face your practical options are to yell at your cruisers or carrier to deal with them, or to play like a complete bitch, which is a moral victory for them anyway

e: the real reason for the % thing is that WG probably don't want people making more than X amount of money per match, which is what the fat HP pool+ repair ability of battleships enables. Because WG are of course pricks.

By that I mean if you know they are coming, which isn't hard. Though I haven't actually fired at a DD in my nagato for the past 10 or so games.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

yaay posted:

if a DD wants to cut off its nose to spite your face battleship's face your practical options are to yell at your cruisers

Yesterday on Ocean I had a Farragut sail right up the middle of a Nicholas, Minekaze, Isokaze and Cleveland that were ostensibly escorting my New York while only losing half his health. While reloading his torps he sailed down my side so close my scondaries actually stopped firing because he was beneath the or they couldn't track him. As my escorts, who were on the other side, all proceeded to hit me with a broadside each of HE while he was passing me, I had to turn around and sink it myself, and then waste my repair putting out the fires, a repair I really needed about 30 seconds later, when a Phoenix set me on fire again, and a Fuso managed to tag me with one of those one in a million shell hits that caused flooding.

The lesson is always pubbies.

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003

Astroniomix posted:

I would actually go as far as to say never fire AP at destroyers if you can help it, obviously if you have a shot it's better to fire a volley of AP and THEN switch to HE but if there's a DD coming up and you don't have a shot at anything else/really want to get rid of the DD then preloading HE is a good idea.

Goes without saying. ;)

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Is that, in fact, a boat with a Jet on it?!

False: Even though its a Messerschmidt, it's not an ME-109.

TSBX fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 26, 2015

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

TSBX posted:

The Bf 109 G is not, in fact, a jet. Probably looks like this:

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

TSBX posted:

False: Even though its a Messerschmidt, it's not an ME-109.

The Bf 109 and the Me 109 are the same plane. The Bf 109 beeing the correct naming convention and the Me 109 beeing a false ID somtimes used by the allies. No matter what you call it, it's not a jet fighter. The Me 262 is probably what you're thinking about.

e: beaten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Feindfeuer posted:

The Me 262 is probably what you're thinking about.

Or possibly the the Messerschmitt P.1099, which was a paper conversion of the 262 into a 2 seat heavy fighter