Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

MustardFacial posted:

Unless you're filling in a pit or are on a slope, it doesn't need to be graded, just compacted.

1. Clear area/grade if necessary
2. Dump X amount of 3" Minus Sub-Base
3. water the poo poo out of it and vibration compact it
4. put 3/4" Clear crush on top for that awesome gravel sound/drainage.

Never touch it again.

This is basically what I'm doing. I also hear you want to dig down to subsoil (8" in clay?) before the big sub-base rock goes in. Really I want an excuse to rent a skid-steer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

MustardFacial posted:

Never touch it again.

And that includes plowing.

I got tired of bring in 20+ tons of stone every spring so I paved that poo poo.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Gotta get up to get Down's

MustardFacial posted:

vibration compact it

I demand that process be chronicled on video. For the lulz.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Adiabatic posted:

dig down to subsoil (8" in clay?)

Yeah, you should do that too. I just assumed the land clearing process would get you to that state, but I often forget that not every place is BC where the subsoil is at "stick you finger in the ground" depth.

Good luck with the skid steer, I found them impossible to use for anything except popping mad wheelies.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MustardFacial posted:

Yeah, you should do that too. I just assumed the land clearing process would get you to that state, but I often forget that not every place is BC where the subsoil is at "stick you finger in the ground" depth.

Good luck with the skid steer, I found them impossible to use for anything except popping mad wheelies.

Skid steers are beastly fun, and amazingly handy. Used one this year to dig out for the wifes raised garden beds, and to pull out the old garden beds. I grew up driving one on the farm, though, so I've got lots of practice.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Put an ad up for the wife's room until he gets back from Qatar. Good luck filling his shoes, internet stranger.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Where did you fellers source your drawer slides?

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

dreesemonkey posted:

Where did you fellers source your drawer slides?

ATGStores.com for the hinges, pulls, and slides. Lowes owns them.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

The wife was finishing the garage up in a very German fashion while I partied in New England, and expressed concern that he wouldn't be able to do some preventative maintenance on his Jeep. I told him I'd gladly do it after he left, and so he set about collecting parts and making me a list:

...continued:

Here's a graphical representation:

I set about taking the wheels off and setting up the car for a decent stint on the lift:

Made a friend:

This garage owns. With the Wifi repeater (WiFiguredItOut... not to be confused with the main router WiFightWhenWeCanBang) and CrunkCast I can listen to lovely EDM on the TV wirelessly through my phone. Makes all the difference.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Didnt expect to see Old Man Emu gear being used in the US on a jeep. Would have thought the domestic market had that stitched up tight with poo poo thats way cheaper than coils from Australia!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Not really, OME is much better than Ranchero or hill billy gently caress off brand.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

Honeypie, you're so good to me. Brake parts are on the way.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Did some stuff to the steering:

The stab strut was especially fun:

Tackled the drivers side hub afterwards:

I stopped tearing down at that point and moved to the passenger side, as I don't have a puller handy.

Parts pile is growing:

Quite enjoying listening to music and taking my time with no pressing time constraints. Automotive zen.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I'm sure the lift and lack of rust turn jobs from nightmares to fun baaap baaap turn bolt remove replace sessions.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Pretty much. That tie rod between the hubs (the one with the steering stabilizer) basically fell off with a couple whacks of a hammer. The one from the rack to the passenger hub fought a bit, but nothing like you're used to.

The steering stabilizer itself did this:

But it came off with those stripped bolt removers and some Big Sean. No heat required:

Weirdly enough, the rotors were the most difficult bit. Had to whack them a good 50 times a piece.

My favorite tool, the air hammer, has been used frequently. It's been a good week.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I find more zen in being unrushed. When I'm laying on my garage floor reinstalling exhaust after replacing a failed driveshaft guibo at 3AM in 40 degree weather so I can drive to work at 7AM I start considering arson.

Rebuilding my ToyoRolla motor in my garage on a stand in bits and spurts after work and sometimes into the wee hours of the morning was very nice. Automotive zen is a great phrase for it.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 22, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Beach Bum posted:

I find more zen in being unrushed. When I'm laying on my garage floor reinstalling exhaust after replacing a failed driveshaft guibo at 3AM in 40 degree weather so I can drive to work at 7AM...

This is the witching hour. This is when the real magic happens. I have pulled off some ridiculous mechanical successes under this sort of pressure.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

New parts came in:

Pulled apart the passenger side:

Started to take the struts off, did a dumb thing:

Welp.

Time for the angle grinder:

Other side met the same fate:

Struts and springs out:

Lower control arm out:

New LCAs in:

Shops getting a bit cluttered:

Hey Jeep people, how bad are these spring perches? The base is solid but the lips are rotting off:

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Paging Kastien, patient on the OR table, need assistance.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
WTF? You have to deal with that poo poo in the south?

I'm reasonably certain there's actually supposed to be metal across that opening, dude, since that's where the bumpstop lands. Remind me to look at some at the yard tomorrow.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
If those spring perches were anything like TJ spring perches, you've lost alot more metal than just a lip. Lots of kits mount bump stops to the dome that used to be there.

Personally, I would definitely attempt some kind of repair on that, it looks like the rust will be hard to tame.

Edit: if you live near the ocean, you'll have worse rusting than anything the north sees. Constant salt spray, high humidity.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Here's better pictures of what it looks like and why it fails and how you can fix it.

http://www.outlawedoffroad.com/showthread.php/2274-Grand-WJ-Rotted-spring-perch-repair

With a welder you can fix that very cheap.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
4.5 inch bolt circle dana 30s (TJ, YJ, XJ, MJ, ZJ, et al) have somewhat different spring perches that match exactly what EightBit described. I'm not 100% on whether the top of that round part is capped off on WJ ones, but I'd bet on it, and I can't find a good pic on GIS that shows any more metal than the link SiF gave.

Really it's just a garbage design that traps water and rots out.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Well poo poo glad I checked in about it.

The missus and I are going over options. I'll need to drop the axle at this point if the welder doesn't do house calls.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Use the money you would be paying some dickhead to weld it towards getting a starter mig?

It also has other uses. Rounded off bolt or nut?

Starter mig to the rescue:

Slow is Fast fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Sep 25, 2015

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Honestly I wouldn't want to booger weld and generally learn welding on wifey's car. His attention to detail is of the German sort. Anything I'm not well-versed in is being outsourced.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Man I wish I had room for a starter mig. So jealous, you are embarking on a magical journey through time and space.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Adiabatic posted:

Started to take the struts off, did a dumb thing:

If suspension parts come with replacements, I don't even bother loving with bolts anymore. Straight to the cut off wheel.

kastein posted:

WTF? You have to deal with that poo poo in the south?

I'm reasonably certain there's actually supposed to be metal across that opening, dude, since that's where the bumpstop lands. Remind me to look at some at the yard tomorrow.

Well people in VA beach and the tidewater in general do. He's in the Piedmont region so you'd think he'd be alright... except it's Richmond. They don't have plows, but they do have a bunch of salt trucks. :unsmigghh:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, they're supposed to look something like this.

One of the local WJ guys ran into severe rot on his too, but he doesn't know if his has been in AZ forever. Mine was only in the PacNW for a year from new and AZ since, but I still worry that I might see some nasty poo poo whenever I get around to doing a lift :ohdear:

What replacement LCAs are those?

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Sep 25, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
This thread is great and you are great - it's awesome of you do do this work for a buddy while he's deployed. MrsAdiabatic thank you for your service! In the military and the cabinet making I guess.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Adiabatic posted:

Honestly I wouldn't want to booger weld and generally learn welding on wifey's car. His attention to detail is of the German sort. Anything I'm not well-versed in is being outsourced.

A mig welder is really worth every penny. Seriously get one.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Hahahaha some rear end in a top hat has been stealing poo poo from that crusty shed the past two days.

Too bad the neighbor has a deer camera behind my yard with about 15 clear HD pictures of the dude's face.

MrsAdiabatic
Feb 26, 2015

This displeases me.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
Haha that's hosed up. Print out a few of them and stick them up with a sign something like "Stop stealing or I'm sending these pictures and more to the police."

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Haha that's hosed up. Print out a few of them and stick them up with a sign something like "Stop stealing or I'm sending these pictures and more to the police."

gently caress "or", send them anyway and just post the pictures to freak them the gently caress out.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

Talked to a detective for an hour before posting this. He has the pictures already. He's pretty excited about it.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Adiabatic posted:

Talked to a detective for an hour before posting this. He has the pictures already. He's pretty excited about it.

Good. Now setup bear traps because gently caress thieves right in the rear end.

E: PM your address to me, I'll fly out and set him up for his prison sentence.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Adiabatic posted:

Of course he is, in Virginia that's felony burglary and probably a super easy collar with those photos.

Hilarious.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I'm assuming he hasn't stolen anything precious? (or that you and the detective know where he lives so you can get it back!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Adiabatic posted:

Hahahaha some rear end in a top hat has been stealing poo poo from that crusty shed the past two days.

Too bad the neighbor has a deer camera behind my yard with about 15 clear HD pictures of the dude's face.