Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Did some more painting. This time I gave them a bath before painting.

A Numera Ravager Bear, which I'm going to use as an alt-mutation Deathclaw for the fallout miniatures game.
I like how the yellowed teeth look (just used a sun yellow, ended up being just the right shade). I added some green stuff to the base, because he kept falling over.

I still want to do some coloring work on it, maybe make the spine a lighter shade, and maybe the belly too. Otherwise it just looks weird as a solid color. I also need to paint the base.

Rad scorpions! I don't think the sun yellow works so well for sand color, so I'll have to do something else. I want to add touches of red to the stinger, mouth and along the ridges.

Now I finally have enough to actually play a 50 point game with two armies!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

They look like chocolate and I want to eat them.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Should grab moolas brownie base recipe

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
Chocoscorpions on a brownie base sound pretty good to me

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

parabolic posted:

Hi-Mock painting showcase would be pretty fun.

Just so you guys all know the Hi-Mock idea seems to be taking off in the Scale Modelling thread for October as a group build so you guys need to get involved. I even think the Gunpla thread is getting in on it as well.

Check it out: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3148869&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=159#post450612768

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
Cross posting from the oath thread. The ships are the first minis I have done 100% with an airbrush. Mixed feelings on them, especially the pegasus, but not unhappy with the results.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Are those Babylon 5 minis?

I finally finished this sucka:

Lots more pictures:
Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/TinyPlasticSpacemen/posts/993174327400965
Imgur album https://imgur.com/a/pl4qk

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Sep 26, 2015

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

krushgroove posted:

battlestar galactica you heathen! :argh:

I should re-watch BSG one day...

...and that is one awesome knight :)

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks :) it's given me a few ideas on what to do with my own Knight when I finally get around to assembling it.

And yeah I should have recognized the 6-pointed star things. I've never watched B5 but I've wanted to.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Any good tutorials on how to paint pale skin?

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Not a viking posted:

Any good tutorials on how to paint pale skin?

I just paint it pale green. Pale green solves a lot of unexpected problems

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Foolster41 posted:

Did some more painting. This time I gave them a bath before painting.

A Numera Ravager Bear, which I'm going to use as an alt-mutation Deathclaw for the fallout miniatures game.
I like how the yellowed teeth look (just used a sun yellow, ended up being just the right shade). I added some green stuff to the base, because he kept falling over.

I still want to do some coloring work on it, maybe make the spine a lighter shade, and maybe the belly too. Otherwise it just looks weird as a solid color. I also need to paint the base.

Rad scorpions! I don't think the sun yellow works so well for sand color, so I'll have to do something else. I want to add touches of red to the stinger, mouth and along the ridges.

Now I finally have enough to actually play a 50 point game with two armies!
Wanna eat the Nutella Ravager bear

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I have a few brush questions. I know sable brushes are the way to go according to the OP but in my experience they're generally for oil and watercolor, as acrylic isn't exactly kind to brushes. However, this experience is more based on traditional painting rather than miniature work. With the amount of paint, and as thinned down as it is, is it a bit different for miniatures work?

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

everythingWasBees posted:

So I have a few brush questions. I know sable brushes are the way to go according to the OP but in my experience they're generally for oil and watercolor, as acrylic isn't exactly kind to brushes. However, this experience is more based on traditional painting rather than miniature work. With the amount of paint, and as thinned down as it is, is it a bit different for miniatures work?

A W&N S7 size 0 is like 16 bucks on Amazon and will last me for several months at the least, which probably means it lasts for years if you're not as big of a dick to your brushes as I am.

In other words, stop worrying and get sable

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Acrylics still destroy sable brushes in time, but nothing else holds that point like sable. Buy sables. Replace when you've dogged them out. Sucks, but the alternative isn't great. I buy 4 size 0 Rosemary and Co. Brushes every 12-18 months.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

krushgroove posted:

I finally finished this sucka:

Lots more pictures:
Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/TinyPlasticSpacemen/posts/993174327400965
Imgur album https://imgur.com/a/pl4qk

Really really nice, great job

Foolster41
Aug 2, 2013

"It's a non-speaking role"
Yeah, I want to make that Deathclaw and scorpions to look less chocolatey. I got some red ink that should help with the scorpions. Like I said, hopefully adding different shades of brown like across the chest will help with the Deathclaw. I'm not sure really how to get the effect of a deathclaw's fur in Fallout. It looks like the horns and claws should be a bit darker than the rest of him.

For refrence, this is a deathclaw:

Tangentially miniatures related, I made some reference cards up for characters in Fallout: Warfare, and I made up some back images for three of the factions (kind of like the backs of the cards in x-wing). I'm not much of a graphic designer, but I tried my best to make something not ugly (not sure if I failed).
What do you think? Ways I can improve these?

Brotherhood of Steel

Bandit. There's no real symbol, so I made one composted form some free game icons, based on the bandits logo from STALKER: Shadow of Chynobyl.

Beastlord. Another faction without a symbol, so just the head of a beastlord on a leather texture background.

Foolster41 fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Sep 27, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Skarsnik posted:

Really really nice, great job

Coming from you that means a lot :) thanks!

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I dug up a trove of various minis from when I was a kid, mostly fantasy GW with a smattering of war zone, reaper, various singles for "specialty games", etc. Most are still unpainted, but for those that were, what's the best way to strip a) metal figures and b) hard plastic, or can I just use the same solution for both?

Also found all of my old paints, and while a few had hardened, most are still liquid after 15-20 years. Someone had given me multiple sets of testors gloss enamel though that I have no loving clue what I'll do with. I assume one of my friends got ahold of them some point, because there are good chunks of Brettonian archers and black orks (neither of which I played) that have been base-coated and based reasonably well, but like, 75% of the base colors used are the usual acrylic and 25% are high gloss enamel. Maybe I'll have some incoming scrunt-alikes for the best of the worst thread.

Edit: this is mostly unrelated, but I remember liking the war zone tabletop game a lot as a kid. Did anyone else play it or remember it? How lovely was the ruleset? I've got a few little piles of Brotherhood, Bauhaus and some of the (relatively) newer tribes of earth or whatever. It's been discontinued obviously, but I found a place that bought the molds or something and still has the rules plus a ton of the original figures for sale, they're not the best sculpts but they're reasonably cheap I think. I'm sorta tempted just out of nostalgia.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Sep 27, 2015

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Hauki posted:

I dug up a trove of various minis from when I was a kid, mostly fantasy GW with a smattering of war zone, reaper, various singles for "specialty games", etc. Most are still unpainted, but for those that were, what's the best way to strip a) metal figures and b) hard plastic, or can I just use the same solution for both?

See the OP for your stripping info needs: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3705692#post442594521

Basically you can use use the same stripping fluid (whichever you choose) for metal or plastic. In some cases the primer may be difficult to remove, and I'm not sure how enamel paints hold up to the materials mentioned, but in general be prepared for a bit of scrubbing with a toothbrush and picking hard to reach areas with a push pin or needle. Multiple soaks may be needed if the paint is thick (or enamel).

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Warzone recently had a new edition released, called Warzone: Resurrection, with a new model range and everything. I haven't heard anything about how it plays, but it's probably not too far off from the last edition.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Silhouette posted:

Warzone recently had a new edition released, called Warzone: Resurrection, with a new model range and everything. I haven't heard anything about how it plays, but it's probably not too far off from the last edition.

I've had a set of their Bauhaus dudes for a while now and I've never even assembled them. They look purdy though.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Silhouette posted:

There are rumblings of a second edition coming out, the UK sales rep won't tell me anything. I bought the current rulebook from him earlier this year and I'm thinking at my current rate of game procurement I won't get to play it before the 2nd edition comes out so I may try to sell the book I have. The new models look really cool though, nice mix of walker battle suits and infantry. Prodos actually sponsor the Oath Thread as well so do check them out: https://www.prodosgames.com

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Any UK Goons heading to Fiasco this year? I'm contemplating a visit, a meetup would be neat.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Golden Taklon is fine. Lots of people use Kolinsky Sable, but honestly unless you're in the top 1% of painters you're not gonna see a lot of return for your money for the steep investment IMHO.

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?

Is that a transfer?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Nebalebadingdong posted:

Is that a transfer?

Yeah, it's one of the standard transfers that comes with the kit. Unfortunately it covers up a lot of the 'tooth' design that took some effort to make!

e: to take a break from 28mm stuff I painted up my Dropzone Commander Scourge starter set Friday:

Then on Saturday I thought they were looking lonely so I painted the Shal'tari:

And they join my previously painted UCM force which are a bit more standard human colonial marine types that I did months ago:

krushgroove fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Sep 28, 2015

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Hauki posted:

Also found all of my old paints, and while a few had hardened, most are still liquid after 15-20 years. Someone had given me multiple sets of testors gloss enamel though that I have no loving clue what I'll do with. I assume one of my friends got ahold of them some point, because there are good chunks of Brettonian archers and black orks (neither of which I played) that have been base-coated and based reasonably well, but like, 75% of the base colors used are the usual acrylic and 25% are high gloss enamel. Maybe I'll have some incoming scrunt-alikes for the best of the worst thread.

Edit: this is mostly unrelated, but I remember liking the war zone tabletop game a lot as a kid. Did anyone else play it or remember it? How lovely was the ruleset? I've got a few little piles of Brotherhood, Bauhaus and some of the (relatively) newer tribes of earth or whatever. It's been discontinued obviously, but I found a place that bought the molds or something and still has the rules plus a ton of the original figures for sale, they're not the best sculpts but they're reasonably cheap I think. I'm sorta tempted just out of nostalgia.

You can use one thing for all your stripping needs.

It can be found at Walmart, Amazon, Ace Hardware, and a bunch of auto supply places.

My little documented experiment.

Part 1

Part 2

E: Do use gloves when handling Super Clean, it's just easier.

Indolent Bastard fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Sep 28, 2015

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
I'm considering getting an airbrush again, since I'm realising I'm hitting the point where I'm probably spending more on spraypaint than I would've done just getting an airbrush. What kind of stuff is "necessary"? I've got a friend who's recommending ones that're £80-100, but I've found ones like this that're way cheaper, like £30-50; what's the catch?

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

spectralent posted:

I'm considering getting an airbrush again, since I'm realising I'm hitting the point where I'm probably spending more on spraypaint than I would've done just getting an airbrush. What kind of stuff is "necessary"? I've got a friend who's recommending ones that're £80-100, but I've found ones like this that're way cheaper, like £30-50; what's the catch?

Those are generally underpowered, overheat pretty quickly, and don't have an air tank for a constant supply of cool air. If you got one as a gift or dirt cheap then by all means, use it, but in the long run it's better to spring for a compressor with a tank.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah you get what you pay for when it comes to precision tools :) Also the OP has info about airbrushing, it's not complete but should give you a good start. Also there are plenty of videos to watch, the first video link should be required viewing.

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
I finally finished my kodiak for dropzone commander, i converted it quite a bit from the standard model.

among other things i made the trailer hinge workable and added a folding antenna that magnetically locks in both positions

and of course it still fits under a dropship

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
What, it's not drivable by radio control? Please!

No, that's pure awesomeness right there. I'd seen the trailer but the folding antenna is just over the top.

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
:aaaaa:

That's incredible.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Bistromatic posted:

cool-rear end micromachines

That's... that's just...

:awesome:

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
You are a sick individual. Please get help.

By which I mean teach others how to do that so they can build more of those.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!

Bistromatic posted:

Awesomeness

This is a great example of putting the extra work into a model and knocking it out of the park.

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?
Just finished one of Tre Manor's Norse miniatures from Red-box games. I really like the detail on these models and his goblins are are pretty cool and have a old school GW feel to them. I might try putting together a Mordheim warband from here.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Just finished my first Infinity minis: A Ghulam Doctor and a Najjarun Engineer.

Bonus points if you can name the white-haired, rail-thin, fictional sci-fi doctor on which she is based.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Thanks for the kind words y'all.

Pierzak posted:

You are a sick individual. Please get help.

By which I mean teach others how to do that so they can build more of those.

If there's actual interest i can see if i pull together a write-up from progress photos.