Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

thespaceinvader posted:

Ceramite white sucks balls. I've lost two or possibly 3 pots of it in the last 6 months. I really want to look at investing in a full set of non-GW paints.

For what it's worth its the only one I've had issues with over the last few years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I know, but :siren:DO NOT GIVE GW MONEY:siren: and all that.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
If you're looking to reinvest in paints, this store is selling the Vallejo Model Color/Model Air 72 paint sets for $150, which is a fairly good deal for those sets.

http://www.modelexpo-online.com/weekly_email_specials.asp

Put the code DL15 in at the top of the page and it'll reflect when you go to checkout.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib
I like Reaper's paints best, but a lot of that might just be that I'm used to working with it. I know how it acts. In any event, your FLGS should be able to order in non-GW paints and stuff. Maybe not more obscure stuff like Coat D'Arms, but at least Reaper and Vallejo. You just have to wait a bit on it rather than picking it up straight from the store.

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Reaper paints are just fantastic. I couldn't be more pleased with them every time I try a new bottle.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BULBASAUR posted:

I airbrush near a window I leave open and use a house fan to blow air from my back towards said window. I hang a towel so it covers my desk and the wall behind and use disposable paper towels ontop of the towel to absorb the paint. Haven't had any issues at all, but I do wear a good respirator and make sure my room ventilates well if I'm spraying oils or varnish.

Could you take a pic of this? I'm trying to imagine this setup but can't. Tia.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
My days of airbrushing commando with no overspray box or anything ended when I found white primer dust on a painted figure I had on my desk.

dmnz
Feb 14, 2012

BNNRROWNWNWOWOWOWO
So my Army Painter black and white rattlecans appear to be 100% full of sand.
I don't think I'll be buying Army Painter again.

Has anyone else had this with their cans?

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

dmnz posted:

So my Army Painter black and white rattlecans appear to be 100% full of sand.
I don't think I'll be buying Army Painter again.

Has anyone else had this with their cans?

Army Painter sprays work a little differently than Krylon and so on. They'll fuzz up if you're not following the instructions on the can. I use a bunch of their sprays for my armies.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh
Hm, now I'm a little worried because I'm about to prime my guys with Army Painter (white). I have some sprues and crap minis to test on though, so I won't actually gently caress up anything important, but it'd be nice to have a primer that isn't super-fiddly.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Makes me feel better about the somewhat toothy texture of my preferred spraycan

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

Oath Thread XXXpost

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

OATH COMPLETE

And I ran out of time this month, so SPEED PAINT & THEME. Not my best effort. Took about 80 minutes of paint time. The rest of the time was waiting for varnishes and base glue to dry.

I thought the two fire familiars that weren't speed painted turned out pretty good.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

I'm getting a little bit of frosting (?) with the krylon primers when I try to do zenithal, but I don't notice any odd textures when I do a single color of primer. Is that... normal or no? When I first started priming, I tried following the directions on the can exactly (6-8"), and that seemed too close as I was getting some pooling. Then I tried at 10-12" as that's what I saw recommended elsewhere, and the detail looks much cleaner, but after I finish with the white highlights from above the gradient between each color looks frosty, for lack of a better descriptor. Should I go back to ~8" and try shorter passes?

edit: I'll just post an actual pic so you all can tell me how lovely my priming job is. Gimme a min.

Hauki fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Sep 1, 2015

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Whoever it was that suggested using Magic-Sculpt for the Basius pads; thank you, thank you, thank you. It's so much easier to work than greenstuff and it looks like I'm getting sharper detail too. I can't wait to get these primed and see the difference when they're finished.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

Does anyone have opinions about spray vs brush-on varnish? I used to use spray varnish, but that's back when I had a craft room and could spray indoors. I could possibly find a place to spray indoors with an extractor and such, but maybe it'd be better to keep it simple and use brush-on. I suppose I could also just get good with aerosol spray varnish.

Lord Hypnostache
Nov 6, 2009

OATHBREAKER
Crossposting now that I finally got these bad boys finished. Going to keep my distance from black armor for a while.

Lord Hypnostache posted:

Finally finished my squad of Deathwatch (counts as Sternguard). Hopefully I'll get to field them before Space Marines get a new codex, I started painting Space Marines slightly before the previous Codex was released and didn't get to play with them once.

My favorite bit about Deathwatch is that they're the best of the best from different chapters, so I tried to make each of them appear unique and recognizable even without the different colored shoulder pad. (I just now noticed that it's not visible on the photos, but the Raptor has a cameoline cloak and the Blood Raven has Black Templar backpack and Spacewolf chest in addition to Dark Angel bolter)

Trying to make them visually distinctive greatly limited my options when considering their chapters of origin. In addition I didn't want all of them to be from First Founding chapters, so that limited my options further, but I think I managed to succeed in my goals.

In case it's not clear: First pic: Minotaurs, Dark Angels, Iron Hands, Flesh Tearers, Raptors. Second pic: Ultramarines, Space Wolves, Blood Ravens, Salamanders, Black Templars

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Chill la Chill posted:

For those of you guys who airbrush at home, what's your setup look like? I'm hoping a basic box and newspapers is fine for purely airbrushing water based paints and that I don't need an extractor. I did buy a respirator with OG/AV P100 which might be overkill but whatever it's cheap. Ideally I want something small I can place on my small table in my apartment.

First of all, no respirator is overkill. Protect your lungs. I started with a simple cardboard box, which does stop overspray from getting on the wall you're spraying against, but if you're spraying at 25+ psi the paint particles just blow back out and get on you (and your models, and desk, etc., as someone else pointed out). Then I moved to an old collapsible crate that I cut a hole into and put a bathroom extractor fan in. This was a tiny bit better but the fan just wasn't strong enough. Then I got the fold-up airbrush booth that many people post, you can get it on Amazon, ebay, etc. - I found it works OK but again the fan isn't strong enough when you're spraying at high pressures, and it was also too small for some of the other projects I do, which is mostly RC cars - think of something twice as large as a 40K Bastion and you get the idea, plus you're basically spraying the inside of a bowl when doing that so you have to be able to rotate the RC body quite a lot inside the spray booth. So I built my own out of sheets of plastic...but it's starting to come apart so I'm going to remake it with corrugated plastic sheeting.

I think the real trick to making a decent spray booth is to have baffling at the back of it to prevent backdrafts of paint coming back out of it, or at least to minimize the air blowing back out. For my latest booth I used strips of plastic bent into an L-shape to trap the air behind it, like this:

Then behind that kitchen vent hood fabric and then the bathroom exhaust fan.

Unfortunately for my current spray booth it's all held together with duct tape, and it's started to come apart, necessitating the latest redesign. I'm also going to put L-shaped strips along the top, bottom and sides of the new version of the spray booth to help keep overspray to a minimum. I use thin plastic sheets over WIP stuff so paint dust doesn't land on them.

You don't have to do anything this 'complex' (quotes there because it is really just a complicated hack job) if you're not airbrushing very often but this is for a fairly permanent installation - at least, as permanent as you can get in rented accommodation. The fold-up spray booth does work OK for scale & wargaming, just keep in mind the air pressure/back blast if you're spraying at higher than 25psi, and replacement foam is hard to find (I used motorcycle radiator filter foam but it's a bit too dense I think).

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Hm, now I'm a little worried because I'm about to prime my guys with Army Painter (white). I have some sprues and crap minis to test on though, so I won't actually gently caress up anything important, but it'd be nice to have a primer that isn't super-fiddly.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

krushgroove posted:

You'll probably notice a big difference if you've been airbrushing for a while. If you're used to using the fine detail needle/nozzle set (you are using them as a set, right? they're matched together and that's how they're meant to be used) you should be experienced enough to know how to thin and clean the 360 properly enough to use the Sotar. The Sotar (and Renegade Krome) will have a much finer spray - excuse the lame comparison, but think 'high definition' compared to the 360 or Patriot because it's just machined smoother and to a higher grade than the general purpose models. If it doesn't spray as smoothly, it's clogged up or something else is wrong (probably a clog).

Does it make any sense to but a second, good airbrush if you already have a Sotar? The Sotar is so much easir to use than my crappy cheap one, but I'm wondering if I should get a mid-grade one for undercoats and basecoats - and maybe use the cheap one just for varnish?

Hauki posted:

More in adventures of first-time painting:
Couldn't find anything like a sprue to practice on before priming; test primed some cardboard; not the same at all. I though I was comfortable with distance & coverage and then totally oversprayed like the first four dudes I did.

I've been painting on and off for 25 years or so, and I never got confortable with spray can priming. I still end up with way to heavy coats obscuring details once in a while.

Chill la Chill posted:

For those of you guys who airbrush at home, what's your setup look like? I'm hoping a basic box and newspapers is fine for purely airbrushing water based paints and that I don't need an extractor. I did buy a respirator with OG/AV P100 which might be overkill but whatever it's cheap. Ideally I want something small I can place on my small table in my apartment.
I've got one of these: http://www.amazon.com/Master-Airbrush%C2%AE-Portable-Airbrush-Extension/dp/B00B2TESUQ
It's nice and folds up very compact, but I'm not sure if there's enough suction to really work.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

HardCoil posted:

Does it make any sense to but a second, good airbrush if you already have a Sotar? The Sotar is so much easir to use than my crappy cheap one, but I'm wondering if I should get a mid-grade one for undercoats and basecoats - and maybe use the cheap one just for varnish?

I would say save your money and keep using what you've got if you're happy with it :) If you do a lot of airbrushing and swapping, it would be worth it to have a good quality general purpose like a Patriot or 360 with a QD on each, but it all depends what you're doing. Portrait painters can have 10 or more Renegade models lined up with different colors in siphon jars attached to each one, but model painters I think tend to have at most 2 brushes on the go at once.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Avenging Dentist posted:

Does anyone have opinions about spray vs brush-on varnish? I used to use spray varnish, but that's back when I had a craft room and could spray indoors. I could possibly find a place to spray indoors with an extractor and such, but maybe it'd be better to keep it simple and use brush-on. I suppose I could also just get good with aerosol spray varnish.

Brush-on matte never seems to be flat enough for me, but brush-on gloss is perfectly fine. I bought a can of Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss (which is exactly the same stuff as artist's brush-on gloss) at Home Depot years and years ago, and it's still going strong. Mix it 3:1 with acrylic floor polish and it even becomes self-leveling, so you don't get any bubbles or brush marks.

Testor's Dullcote is still king of matte varnishes, though. Just make sure you throw down a coat or two of gloss first so that the Dullcote doesn't eat the top layer of paint, since it's a lacquer. This is also known as Bullet Coating.

My varnishing method is always Gloss 2x > Dullcote > Gloss/Semigloss(floor polish) on wet/shiny parts (teeth, tongue, eyes, claws, reflective metal, gems, etc).

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.
Over in the Scale Modeling thread we have been having a group project for the month of August. The idea was to all buy the same cheapo crap kit and see who could come up with the best end product.

It was decided to buy the Airfix 1:72 IS-3 tank kit. This kit is not without it's problems as it was designed by someone who had never seen the tank expect for one photograph, as Pierzak found out.

Pierzak posted:

I have that too. I accidentally shaved down the nub that's supposed to help with barrel orientation because it had a major mold shift.
And the gas cans are horrible. One side empty, the other has random holes or weird black poo poo on it, and again, mold shift in the middle.

Other attractions:
- mold feeds for tracks are in the recesses :wtc:
- a huge mold feed(?) on the side of the machine gun
- part numbers on the outside of the undercarriage, because why place it on the otherside
- the barrel was already mentioned (drill your barrels! :vomarine:), but is mounted off-center.

Basically, the poster who suggested this kit can go sit on a cactus :argh:

So Ladies and Gentlemen I am cross posting here for your judgement! The winner gets to pick the next monstrosity of a model for us all to do!

In no particular order I present to you....Crap Tank!

The Locator posted:

I think I'm done with craptank for now. Reasonably happy with it given that it's my first plastic model in 30 years, but it certainly has some issues and things I would do different if I could start over.

Troll Bridgington posted:

Okay. NOW I'm calling it done with this tank. Added some rust, some burnt umber washes, the decals, and a matt coat. Bonus pictures of babby tank's older brother model in the background.

Ensign Expendable posted:

Introducing Joseph "Get rich or kill those trying" $talin and his trusty wingman Lavrentiy Party-vich Beriya!

Featuring chrome-lined barrel (from the outside)

Senior party members only.

Blue Footed Booby posted:

here's craptank anyway.

big_g posted:

I'm not sure what I'm doing.

Warmachine posted:

Craptank has been sitting like this for roughly two weeks now, since I've had poo poo for time. I did carve out the muzzle break. I also stuck modeling putty in the tracks and called it close enough. Seriously gently caress vinyl. Not sure if I'll do a camo, or if I'll take the lazy tank crew option and just detail and weather it.

Ahahahaha we all know the answer here. gently caress this tank.

Nebakenezzer posted:

So somebody described craptank as a child's rendering of a IS-3. So that gave me an idea.

I painted it white, then used coloring pencils. I tried crayon, but the results were not too good.

I painted the tracks white too, but then all the paint just flaked off so I said gently caress it

Also used a pencil to highlight details and do the machine gun.

headcas3 posted:

My craptank finally showed up but I don't have part 51. I see the space for it on the sprue but it's not there or in the box

lilljonas posted:

Crappy soviet tank project? No problem, just need a soundtrack:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HUWUtTZvK4

Anyway, craptank was my first attempt at (excessive) hair spray chipping. Well, it didn't go perfectly, though it looks a bit better in person than on the photos. At least now I got a feel to the method, and know what to do when I'll try it on a serious kit next time. At least it was a ton of fun to scratch the hell out of it with dental tools and a broken off piece of bamboo skewer.

We will bury them!

Unkempt posted:

Well, we all know what this is:

I see two problems here:
- that gun is clearly too small
- all those tiny little wheels.

So:

And:

A bit of surgery:

Getting there:

Here we go!

ZOOM ZOOM ZOOM

STRAIGHT DOWN THE AUTOBAHN TO BLOW HITLER'S loving FACE RIGHT OFF

YEAH
Job done.

Arquinsiel posted:

Craptank pictures! I went in a different direction to most of you and decided to paint this as a tank I might actually get some wargames use out of at some point, so I present to you: Uncie Joe's Egyptian summer holiday '67!:

That says exactly what you'd think it says (probably).

ETA: the green chips are because the Russians shipped the IS3-Ms they sold to Egypt painted, and the Egyptians sort of lazily painted over that and in the field it all flaked off and resulted in a mottled mess.

Sanguine posted:

So, with the crappiness of crap tank I though 'why waste paint?' Also the discussion a bit back about instructions for painting tanks using grass in fuel got me thinking, so.. why not paint it with grass?

First step was trying some grass in pet spirits - but no dice. It's not strong enough to lyse the cells, so the grass will need to be ground up.

As a trial I used a couple of sanding sticks to mill the grass.

Looks promising, but after trying it on the tank it left bugger all colour and took ages to dry. When it was dry another coat just tore off the old one, so back to the drawing board.

So, plan B involved methylated spirits and a mortar and pestle.

Looking good, but lumpy. So using a handy old-sock filter:

I got about 10 ml of the 'paint'.

I put it through an airbrush without too many blockages, and about 15 to 20 coats later I decided 'gently caress it, that'll do'.

So there ya go, a genuine grass-coloured vaguely IS-3 shaped tank.

EDIT: Late entry:

Blackchamber posted:

Late, and incomplete. I tried melting and gluing the tracks on but they just dont want to stay together. Crap effort for my crap tank anyways since I basically redid the paint job last night.

Inspired by the red and silver here:

CRAP that I poo poo out:

big_g fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Sep 1, 2015

Gareth Gobulcoque
Jan 10, 2008

That's really great. Nebakenezzer

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I enjoyed the story of craptank.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Lol crap tank. That's magnificent. Lol at the grass airbrushed one.

First of all, thank you for the huge effort post! I'll try to rig one up next to a living room window we don't use so I should be able to get a good fan, filter, and tube and box combo going. I looked at the one from Amazon that people posted and that's v expensive too :/. Someone on another forum said I should get a certain type of fan because of possible fires from atomized paint hitting magnet fans? I was looking at tutorials and I must've been looking at car detail ones cuz they were talking about 40-55 psi and nothing close to 25psi.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

I actually have some of that, but I was planning to use it for touchup. My tests with spray primer on bits of old sprue have actually been going ok, so I'm guessing one of the issues people have with Army Painter is that they treat it like every other primer, when it has some unique properties (especially that it dries super fast, so you need to be closer to the mini than you're used to). I suppose the real solution is to get an airbrush, but I'm not about to do that if all I'm painting are a handful of guys for D&D and Dark Age.

I did try the Army Painter primer in 77% humidity and it worked out great, so maybe I'm ok. But then, I'm also the kind of paranoid who always washes their models before priming and does a test-prime on some scrap 5 minutes prior to the real deal.

Silhouette posted:

Brush-on matte never seems to be flat enough for me, but brush-on gloss is perfectly fine. I bought a can of Minwax Polycrylic clear gloss (which is exactly the same stuff as artist's brush-on gloss) at Home Depot years and years ago, and it's still going strong. Mix it 3:1 with acrylic floor polish and it even becomes self-leveling, so you don't get any bubbles or brush marks.

I'm tempted to try out Vallejo varnishes; I'd bought some Army Painter "anti-shine" varnish, since some people seemed to like it. Other people absolutely hate it though. I guess I should get some gloss varnish, so I don't have what I need yet anyway. If anyone's tried the Vallejo varnishes, I'd be interested in hearing a trip report.

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

That's really great. Nebakenezzer

I'll second this.

Dr Hemulen
Jan 25, 2003

big_g posted:

Over in the Scale Modeling thread we have been having a group project for the month of August. The idea was to all buy the same cheapo crap kit and see who could come up with the best end product.

That's an awesome idea with awesome results :D

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I enjoyed that post a lot

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

I would genuinely love to see what this thread could do with a cheap gundam kit

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Chill la Chill posted:

Could you take a pic of this? I'm trying to imagine this setup but can't. Tia.

My setup is way less advanced than krushgroove's:

I just remove my hobby tools, put an old towel over the desk and clamp it against the wall up to the lamps (so it makes an L shape against the wall). Then a put paper towels over the cloth towel so I don't need to wash it constantly. Open window, turn on fan facing desk, spray, no problems. I almost never spray more than 35 PSI, but I definitely wear a respirator while I do this.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Holy hell grass tank

SRM posted:

I enjoyed the story of craptank.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
Just be like me and spray in the back staircase of your apartment building and never tell your landlord.

JackMann
Aug 11, 2010

Secure. Contain. Protect.
Fallen Rib

big_g posted:

It was decided to buy the Airfix 1:72 IS-3 tank kit. This kit is not without it's problems as it was designed by someone who had never seen the tank expect for one photograph, as Pierzak found out.

So Ladies and Gentlemen I am cross posting here for your judgement! The winner gets to pick the next monstrosity of a model for us all to do!

In no particular order I present to you....Crap Tank!

Man, I love all of these. Grass painting gets particular mention. However, since the contest is for the best end product, I'm going to have to go with Troll Bridgington.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SRM posted:

Just be like me and spray in the back staircase of your apartment building and never tell your landlord.

We do have underground parking and an enclosed trash area but those don't really help if it's humid, since they have big ol' garage doors. Maybe it'll help in the winter, though. Primer doesn't worry me too much (absolute worst-case scenario, I strip the minis and fix any glue/greenstuff that got ruined), but varnishing is a little scarier since I wouldn't want to ruin a nice paintjob.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Avenging Dentist posted:

We do have underground parking and an enclosed trash area but those don't really help if it's humid, since they have big ol' garage doors. Maybe it'll help in the winter, though. Primer doesn't worry me too much (absolute worst-case scenario, I strip the minis and fix any glue/greenstuff that got ruined), but varnishing is a little scarier since I wouldn't want to ruin a nice paintjob.
Varnishing isn't scary at all, if it fogs up you can just hit it again with gloss varnish and eat away at the previous layer. Done it a million times.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

SRM posted:

Varnishing isn't scary at all, if it fogs up you can just hit it again with gloss varnish and eat away at the previous layer. Done it a million times.

What brand do you use? I only have matte varnish, so I probably should at least pick up some gloss. Vallejo seems like it's best through an airbrush, but I don't think I'd mind brushing it on if it actually works. Brush-on would also be good for getting into tight spaces (e.g. armpits) which wouldn't need protection, but would look more consistent visually, since I know varnish can subtly alter the colors on a mini.

I suppose I could also chalk the Army Painter hate up to operator error and just roll with it...

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Avenging Dentist posted:

What brand do you use? I only have matte varnish, so I probably should at least pick up some gloss. Vallejo seems like it's best through an airbrush, but I don't think I'd mind brushing it on if it actually works. Brush-on would also be good for getting into tight spaces (e.g. armpits) which wouldn't need protection, but would look more consistent visually, since I know varnish can subtly alter the colors on a mini.

I suppose I could also chalk the Army Painter hate up to operator error and just roll with it...

I use Testors. One coat of gloss coat and two coats of dullcote always do it. Gloss varnish is more durable, so I basically just use the matte varnish to dull down the sheen.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Same here. I swear by Testors Dullcote. Lately I've switched to using Pledge for glass varnish needs, but Testors Gloss Cote is still rock solid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

signalnoise posted:

I would genuinely love to see what this thread could do with a cheap gundam kit

Hi-Mock painting showcase would be pretty fun.