Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.
I say go to the trilithon, for one simple reason: if I recall correctly, green glowing magic is Bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011

inflatablefish posted:

Let's check out the ring fort first, since the trilithon has the obvious "go through the doorway and be lost forever" trap going on.

This sums up my thoughts too. Fort.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Green is good and blue is bad, but either way, I like trilithons more.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
We have a split vote once again, but since we're three votes for the trilithon and three for the fort I'd feel bad flipping a coin for this. Going to wait a little bit more to see if we manage to get a tiebreaker vote.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Ring fort!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Then to the fort we shall go!

Section 179 posted:

Trouble, with, as they say, a capital 'T' (or in this case, a capital 'H' since there is a Hydra lurking in the ring fort). The huge seven-headed snake appears to be guarding a very small casket, which may or may not contain something of value.

Although not exactly pleased to see you, the Hydra will not attack unless you make a move for the casket. Should you decide to do so, it's best to know the creature has 10 LIFE POINTS per head and you will have to slaughter each of them separately before it becomes a late Hydra. In combat, each head will strike one after the other, with all seven striking before you get your turn. Each head requires 6 or better to hit and scores +1 damage. In other words, a very nasty monster unless you happen to have a bit of magic that might work against it.

Should you fight and successfully defeat the Hydra, you may search the casket at 168. If the monster kills you, the only thing you can search is 14.

Should you decide to avoid the Hydra (and who could blame you) then you may still investigate the trilithon at 91 or even return to your ship and pick a new destination on the Sea Chart.

This will be risky. We must be cautious in our approach, use all the weapons we have, and... Waaaaaait a second...

quote:

EMPLOYEES: Gopi Krishna (automatically kills "any sort of snake or serpent", costs 10 Gold Pieces per Section visited)

Say, that Hydra does look quite serpent-like to me. The description even says it's a "huge seven-headed snake."

Gopi, do your thing :getin:

(Aren't you glad we brought him along?)

Section 168 posted:

There's nothing in the casket except a very tiny key; and though it is gold, it's really too small to be of much value. Being a bit of a magpie, however, you stow it away carefully with the rest of your possessions.

You now have the choice of investigating the trilithon at 91 or returning to your ship and picking a new destination on the Sea Chart.

Since there were quite a few people who wanted to check out the trilithon, let's go do that now.

Section 91 posted:

As you approach the trilithon, you can see the blue light was no illusion: it dances over the entire structure, forming a sheet of light between the two uprights. The only thing is, are you prepared to enter that blue light by passing through the structure itself?

If you decide to enter the blue light, go to 185.

If not, you'll find little else of interest here, so you may as well return to 79 and pick another option.

Inflatablefish was spot-on with this one. Well, hopefully not "be lost forever" part. Should we go into the light, or move on to the next island?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 11 / 48+1
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 9 :siren:
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), healing salve x5 (restores 3 LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key :siren: x4 :siren:, can carry two more items from the storeroom
STATUS EFFECTS: Bitten By Beetle (maximum 25 LIFE POINTS, we hit on a 7, enemies only strike successfully every second round)
TREASURE: :siren: 1010 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces
EMPLOYEES: Gopi Krishna (automatically kills "any sort of snake or serpent", costs 10 Gold Pieces per Section visited)

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Go into the light, Carrie-Ann!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Be one with the light

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 185 posted:

You've been teleported! No doubt about it, you're back aboard the Argo, surrounded by a bemused crowd of Argonauts.

Which means the only thing you can do is risk Cross-Eyed Navigation trying to get back, or alternatively pick another island altogether.

Good thing we finished exploring that island, eh?

Let's move on to the next island in this chain, at 147.

Cross-Eyed Navigation roll: 5 + 5 = 10, once again we get there without trouble.

Section 147 posted:

Your rowboat beaches gently and you step out on to the little island, pausing only to give a cheery wave to the crew of the Argo which is standing to offshore. Almost at once you hear a distinct call for help from somewhere inland.

Quickly (but cautiously since you've been caught out far too often on these adventures) you race in the direction of the cry. After hacking your way through some shrub, you burst into a clearing then stop in amazement.

Tied to a stake in the middle of the clearing is the ugliest brute you have ever seen, a villainous, bald-headed giant of a warrior, his bulging muscles straining vainly against the bonds.

'What on earth happened to you?' you ask, not at all sorry he's tied up.

'I was overpowered and captured by a beautiful young Princess who wanted to marry me for the sake of my muscles,' growls the warrior. 'When I refused, she tied me to this stake and left me here to perish from hunger and thirst if the wild animals don't get me first. You must release me.'

Do you believe this story? If so you can release the ugly great brute at 165.

If not, better turn to 182.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 11 / 48+1
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 9
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), healing salve x5 (restores 3 LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x4, can carry two more items from the storeroom
STATUS EFFECTS: Bitten By Beetle (maximum 25 LIFE POINTS, we hit on a 7, enemies only strike successfully every second round)
TREASURE: :siren: 1000 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Free him. And then marry him for the sake of his muscles.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Free him. I'm sure this won't go badly.

Jazzimus Prime
May 16, 2002

The Brothers Autobot
Use four of our healing salves just in case and then free him.

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

Jazzimus Prime posted:

Use four of our healing salves just in case and then free him.

Makes sense to me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Two votes for each option. Luckily, the options aren't mutually exclusive :)

The salves give us twelve LIFE POINTS, bringing us to 23 (as a reminder, our maximum right now is 25 thanks to the beetle's sting).

Now let's untie this guy.

Section 165 posted:

You move (a little reluctantly) to the stake and begin to unknot the warrior's bonds.

'Stop!'

You stop and turn to find a beautiful young woman has entered the clearing. She stares at you angrily. 'That is my future husband you are messing around with! If you insist on releasing him, it will be the worse for both of you !'

The warrior pales and slumps in a near faint. 'Save me!' he moans. 'I'm far too young to marry!'

'I'm warning you . . . ' the beautiful young woman threatens.

You do still have a choice. If you decide to leave this ugly great brute to a fate worse than death, you can slip away quietly and return to your ship.

But if you insist on freeing him, the chances are you will have a fight on your hands at 155.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 23 / 48+1 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 9
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), healing salve :siren: x1 :siren: (restores 3 LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x4, can carry two more items from the storeroom
TREASURE: :siren: 990 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces

Mikl fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Sep 26, 2015

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Hah! We aren't afraid of beautiful young women!
Unless we have to, y'know, strike up a conversation with them or something.
Free Mister Muscles!

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Swashbuckle away! (155)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Defeat the fair maiden and rescue the poor mansel.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 155 posted:

Quickly you jerk the knots on the principle that if you're into a fight, it will do no harm to have an ally - even a great, ugly, musclebound ally like the warrior. But no sooner has he been freed than the man races away as fast as his huge legs can carry him, leaving you to face the beautiful young princess alone.

You fucker :argh:

Section 155 posted:

'Now you've really made me mad!' she hisses, raising one slim hand and pointing a finger in your direction. Hurriedly you dive aside as a flare of brilliant purple light erupts from her finger and sweeps towards you.

This beautiful young female is obviously a witch. But the important thing is whether you have reacted quickly enough to dodge her magic. Throw two dice separately. If the score on your second throw is greater than the score on your first, then go to 200. If it is less, then go to 111.

:ohdear:

First roll: 4
Second roll: 5

Section 200 posted:

Well done - she missed you with that purple light. But now she's racing towards you, determined to do you mischief.

'I'll teach you to mess around with Princess Hecate,' she cries, aiming a karate kick at your head.

Hecate has 25 LIFE POINTS, hit on 4 or better and scores +2 on damage on account of her long fingernails.

If you are killed in the ensuing hassle, go to 14.

If you survive, you will find a small golden key and a magical scroll on Hecate's person. The scroll contains a once-only spell for changing a single opponent into a pig with 15 LIFE POINTS, hitting on 6 or better and doing only dice damage. It's a nifty spell, but requires you to throw a 4 or better on double dice to set it going. And once you've used it, successfully or not, it's gone forever.

Now return to the Argo and pick another destination on the Sea Chart.

I think you can guess what would have happened had she hit us with her spell.

Hecate's initiative roll: 3 + 5 = 8
Pip's initiative roll: 4 + 6 = 10

Pip attacks! 3 + 5 = 8, Hecate is hit for 1 + 3 = 4 LIFE POINTS and is down to 21.
Hecate attacks! 6 + 2 = 8, Pip is hit for 2 + 3 = 5 LIFE POINTS and is down to 18.

Pip attacks! 4 + 4 = 8, Hecate is hit for 1 + 3 = 4 LIFE POINTS and is down to 17.
Hecate attacks! 6 + 5 = 11, Pip would be hit but Hecate is dazzled by Pip's multicoloured skin and misses.

Pip attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, Hecate is hit for 0 + 3 = 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 14.
Hecate attacks! 6 + 1 = 7, Pip is hit for 1 + 3 = 4 LIFE POINTS and is down to 14.

Pip attacks! 3 + 1 = 4, a miss.
Hecate attacks! 2 + 6 = 8, Pip is missed thanks to his fabulous colourization.

Pip attacks! 2 + 1 = 3, another miss.
Hecate attacks! 5 + 2 = 7, Pip is hit for 1 + 3 = 4 LIFE POINTS and is down to 10.

Pip attacks! 4 + 1 = 5, yet another miss.
Hecate attacks! 1 + 6 = 7, a miss thanks to the Beetle's status effect.

Pip attacks! 5 + 6 = 11, Hecate is hit for 4 + 3 = 7 LIFE POINTS and is down to 7.
Hecate attacks! 3 + 2 = 5, missed.

Pip attacks! 2 + 1 = 3, diceeeeee :argh:
Hecate attacks! 3 + 5 = 8, multicoloured miss.

Pip attacks! 2 + 2 = 4 :cripes:
Hecate attacks! 5 + 1 = 6, Pip is hit for 0 + 3 = 3 LIFE POINTS and is down to 7.

Pip attacks! 4 + 6 = 10, Hecate is hit for 3 + 3 = 6 LIFE POINTS, is down to 1 and is knocked out.

That was way too close for comfort. Maybe I need a new set of dice? :argh:

Either way we made it, so let's gather the spoils and head to the final island on the Five Fingers, at 142.

Section 142 posted:

You step from the rowboat alone, since the island is so small you have decided to explore it by yourself, thus hogging any loot or glory that might be going here.

You look around you. The island seems to be almost entirely covered in sand, with only a few clumps of trees here and there. It's the sort of place you would be pretty sure must be deserted, but your attention is attracted by some curious marks in the sand.

Closer examination convinces you they are footprints, but footprints of a very odd sort, as if somebody was walking along hopping on one leg. You follow the trail to where it disappears behind a clump of trees and find yourself on a little rise looking down to where somebody has been digging a deep hole in the sand. You move closer until you can see within the hole an oakwood chest. You are still wondering what to do about this interesting discovery when a heavy hand falls on your shoulder.

'Ah-hahr, Jim-lad, I thought ye'd never get here!'

You turn to find yourseff looking at a tall, villainous-looking man with one leg, a crutch, an eye-patch, a three-cornered hat and a parrot on his shoulder.

He frowns at you in surprise. 'You bain't Jim-lad!' he says.

'No, indeed. Villainous One-Eyed Sir,' you say politely. "My name is Pip.'

'Pieces of Eight!' remarks the parrot.

Pip, is it, ahr?' asks the one-legged man. 'Well, me hearty, I be Cap'n Silver.'

'Not...' you ask hesitantly, 'not... Long John Silver?'

'Shiver me timbers if ye ain't right at that!' exclaims Captain Silver. 'Long John is the name my mother gave me to stop confusion with my brother Short Sam. But what would you be doing on Treasure Island, young sir?'

:pirate:

This is somehow Merlin's fault, I just know it.

Section 142 posted:

'But this isn't Treasure Island, Captain Silver,' you say, considerably bemused. 'It's an entirely different adventure in an entirely different Time.'

'Pieces of Nine!' remarks the parrot.

'Pieces of Nine?' you frown.

'Ignore him - he's allowing for inflation,' says Captain Silver. He adjusts his crutch carefully and sits down on the sand. 'But if what you say is true, I be marooned!'

'Indeed you be - indeed you are. Captain Silver. You must have sailed through a Time Warp or something similar.'

"Belay my breeches!' roars Long John Silver. "But this is a pretty tale to tell over a mug of grog!' He looks at you shrewdly. 'Will 'e help an old sea dog imd his way back home?'

'I'm not sure I can,' you tell him. 'To be honest, I think the only person I know who might help you is a magician named Merlin and I haven't been able to find him myself yet.'

'This Merlin swarb, would be open to a little bribe of -' He rolls his good eye alarmingly.'- gold?'

'I'm certain he would,' you say, knowing how greedy (and broke) Merlin usually is.

'Then ye must find the blackguard for me and offer him a hunnerd pieces on my behaff to get me out of here. Will 'e do that for an old sea dog?'

'Well, yes, of course,' you say. 'But I think he might want to see the gold.'

'Oh ahr,' says Captain Silver, 'that be true.' With which he jumps with remarkable alacrity for a one-legged man into the hole and opens the chest. It is chock-full of thousands of glittering gold doubloons.

Which brings you to a decision. A quick fight with Silver could earn you all that gold, not just a miserly 100 pieces. If you feel like chancing comhat, go to 133.

If on the other hand, you prefer to carry his bribe to Merlin (assuming you can find the old fool) go to 163.

On one hand, :signings:. On the other hand, Silver is a nice guy and I'd feel terrible stabbing him in the back. On the other other hand, :signings:. On the other other other hand, we only have 7 LIFE POINTS (though we can get those back through a potion, a salve, or through Sleep), and we don't know how hard a fight this would be.

What says ye, me hearties?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 7 / 48+1 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 10 :siren:
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), healing salve x1 (restores 3 LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key :siren: x5 :siren:, :siren: Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage) :siren: can carry two more items from the storeroom
TREASURE: :siren: 980 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Gold doesn't seem that useful. We've got enough to pay the Mongoose. So let's not molest the pleasant pirate.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
I'm not so much bothered by the gold as by the likelihood that he might have another one of those keys we've been collecting.

But no, let's act like a knight and not murder the guy.

By the way, are we planning on keeping our mongoose sidekick around until we run out of cash? Surely there can only be so many snakes in the book!

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Sorry Long John, we need those silvers. FIGHT. And take some salves first.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Spare him, a knight never says no to a request for help.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
"He's a good guy. We don't kill good guys, we kill bad guys". Help a brother out and don't attack him..

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 163 posted:

Captain Silver carefully counts out 100 golden pieces and hands them up to you. 'There ye go, me hearty!' he says cheerfully. 'Use that to bribe the blackguard Merlin and tell 'e to send old John back to his rightful place with Jim-lad and his shipmates. And for your trouble, young 'un, take 'e this little present from the Cap'n...' With which he draws from a pocket of his tattered frockcoat a bottle of grog and a tiny golden key. 'Stole these from Blind Pew,' he murmurs. 'Old fool never saw them go.'

'Thank you, sir,' you say politely, quietly vowing to leave the grog alone, since you have a sneaking suspicion it was what made Pew blind in the first place.

'Hurry on now,' Silver says, 'and look sharp about it, for until you find this Merlin swarb I am marooned here with nobody to talk to but me parrot.'

Nothing else for it but to return to the Argo as quickly as possible, consult your Sea Chart and find another destination.

What a nice fella :)

With this, we've explored all five of the Five Fingers, so take a look at the Sea Chart and decide where to go next:

(As a reminder, besides the Five Fingers we've also explored Skull Island.)

Also, I realized I forgot to roll for Cross-Eyed Navigation the last time, so let's do it now: 2 + 6 = 8, it didn't matter anyway. (Don't worry, even if we manage to roll well every time I'll show you all the Cross-Eyed Navigation Sections in the post-book.)

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 7 / 48+1
EXPERIENCE POINTS: 10
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), healing salve x1 (restores 3 LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key :siren: x6 :siren:, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), :siren: Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces) :siren:, can carry two more items from the storeroom
TREASURE: :siren: 970 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Merlin's message said to head to Lost Island right away, so we should definitely hold off on going there for as long as possible. How about Dragon Island? Dragons are basically big snakes, right?

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"

idonotlikepeas posted:

How about Dragon Island

Works for me.

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
Dragon Island sounds good to me... but first let's use the healing salve and then sleep a bit to see if we can die horribly get some life points back.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

Yeah, let's do the dreamtime. We haven't died to something stupid in a while.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
Salve, sleep and shave. Then head to Ehrmagerd, wur mah Durgans island.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

The salve brings us to 10 LIFE POINTS.

To recover more LIFE POINTS, let's Sleep. Sleep roll: 1 :ohdear: We're headed for the Dreamtime, landing in section (roll: 4 + 4) eight.

Dreamtime Section 8 posted:

You have fallen into a gigantic bowl of sago (which presumably means you've shrunk in size alarmingly, or that you should stop eating cheese butties before you go asleep). Although the goo is so thick there is little chance of your drowning, you do notice a fin approaching across the surface. Throw a dice quickly. Score 1 to 4 and you're safe: the fin is only a floating cornflake. Throw 5 or 6 and it's a floating cornflake with a shark underneath. The shark has 20 LIFE POINTS and does +4 damage each time it bites you. Good luck with the encounter.

Roll: 4, just barely but we're safe this time.

But you guys wanted to heal up, so let's try Sleeping again! Roll: 6, this time we don't fall into the Dreamtime and instead heal (roll) 6 + 4 = 10 LIFE POINTS, bringing us up to 20 (out of 25 maximum). I'd say this is good enough for now.

Next stop... (roll: 3 + 1) Dragon Island! ...After we visit the Cross-Eyed Navigation Sections, that is.

Cross-Eyed Navigation posted:

Welcome to the Cross-Eyed Navigation Section. The fact that you're here shows that (once again, perhaps) you have made a complete mess of guiding your ship where you want it to go.

But you have definitely ended up SOMEWHERE. Throw one die to find out where ... and what hassles your cross-eyed navigation has got you into.

Alright, let's roll.6.

Cross-Eyed Navigation Section 6 posted:

Just beyond the beach on this island is a patch of the extremely rare purple spinach (which, if eaten with a Cricri bird's egg will cure poison). Between you and the patch is an equally rare specimen of Zebra-Striped Kimono Dragon with 30 LIFE POINTS and +4 talons. The dragon will remain immobile until you deliver the first blow, but thereafter will fight very efficiently since it requires only 4 or better to hit. Dragons of this species never give a Friendly Reaction, but they can sometimes be bribed with Cricri bird eggs. If you have any to spare, roll two dice to see how many the dragon will accept.

This is one of the few Cross-Eyed Navigation Sections that gives us an out: if we don't attack the Dragon, it will leave us alone. On the other hand, if we do attack it, we can gather some purple spinach (tastes awful, but with some eggs - which we currently don't have, mind you - will heal us of poison).

What do we do?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 20 / 48+1 :siren:
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), :siren: healing salve x1 (restores 3 LIFE POINTS) :siren:, magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x6, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), can carry two more items from the storeroom
TREASURE: :siren: 960 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces

Ghostwoods
May 9, 2013

Say "Cheese!"
Dragon looks lethal. BRAVELY RUN AWAY!

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
When we said we wanted to go to Dragon Island, we didn't mean just pick any island with a dragon on it!

Let's run away, there's no point causing trouble when we don't even have any of the eggs.

Russ L
Feb 26, 2011
'Kimono' Dragon. Heh, I like that one.

Yeah, retreat. Not through fear, we just don't want to kill a member of what is probably an endangered species.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Alright, then as per The Rules we manage to find our way to our destination without any more hassles. Welcome to Dragon Island!

Section 128 posted:

Since the name of this island strikes terror into the hearts of the Argonauts, you decide to explore it alone. And as the great ship sails into the natural harbour at the south of the island, you can scarcely blame your crew for their trepidation. Dragon Isle is a volcanic husk rising out of the waters, without a single hint of vegetation. The vast, contorted rock is honeycombed with caves and fissures, clearly discernable even before you dock.

You leave your ship to tearful (and rather worrying) farewells from your crew and move to a looming cave mouth which will give you entrance to the honeycomb. To your surprise, you see signs that others have been here before: a dried-out, cracking water-sack and a rusty, useless dagger both lie near the cave mouth. But you press on grimly and eventually reach 199.

Bunch of cowards, these Argonauts. They will find any excuse they can to avoid taking risks. Oh well, let's move on.

Section 199 posted:

This is interesting. You have entered what appears at first glance to be a natural cavern, but strewn across the floor here are scores of broken and rusted mining tools - spades, picks, chisels, baskets and so forth. And scattered among them are the shattered remnants of close on a hundred dwarven skeletons.

The cavern is unnaturally quiet, like some vast mausoleum, but everywhere you look, you can see the signs of extreme violence which took place sometime in the distant past. Your imagination begins to paint a grim picture. It is the picture of a dwarven mining crew surprised at work by some unimaginable creature which slaughtered them wholesale where they stood. But what sort of creature could do such damage? And, more important, could it still be here, lurking in the warren of interconnected caverns you have entered?

You can, of course, still return to your ship and pick a new destination.

But if you decide to go on, a tunnel leading east from the cavern will take you to 162, while a tunnel leading north-west will take you to 169.

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: 20 / 48+1
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, 8 doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x6, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), can carry two more items from the storeroom
TREASURE: :siren: 940 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
Uhh....NW I guess.

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
Leaving is for chumps, there's obviously not death on both of these different pages*!

Northwest to 169!

*Of course there's probably at least a chance of death on both of these different pages.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

..Did we stumble into Moria?

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Carbon dioxide posted:

..Did we stumble into Moria?

Goon that I am, my first thought was Boatmurdered.

Alumnus Post
Dec 29, 2009

They are weird and troubling. We owe it to our neighbors to kill them.
Pillbug
Lettuce go left. And by left I mean northwest. :goleft:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Section 169 posted:

You reach another cavern with all the signs of having been cut out from the volcanic rock, or at least artificially enlarged. The floor of the cavern is strewn with rubble and rotting wooden props support the ceiling in half a dozen places. It does not, frankly, look terribly safe to cross.

Not is it. In fact, this particular cavern is trouble all the way. As you step forward, a squat, heavily muscled Rock Thern emerges from the shadows and skeeters aggressively towards you. This creature, which stands about as tall as an armadillo (and looks vaguely like one) has only 15 LIFE POINTS, but heavy scales across its entire body surface form a natural armour with subtracts 6 full points from any damage caused by every blow scored against it. The Rock Thern is a slow fighter, so you will get in two blows for every one it can manage. As against that, it is extremely strong with a natural +5 on any damage it manages to score. The Thern hits successfully on 5.

As if all this were not bad enough, any fight in here is very liable to bring down the roof. For each blow struck, you should throw two dice. A score above three indicates the fight can go ahead safely (well, as safely as fights ever are). But a score of 2 or 3 indicates that you inadvertently knock out a roof prop. The resultant cave-in will send both you and the Thern to 14.

If you survive, the passage north leads to 191, the passage east to 199.

Well, at least we found what killed the dwarves. I hope. (There can't be worse thing than this in here, can there?)

Doing some quick math: we hit on a 7 with +3 damage (thanks to out sword), so we need to roll at least an eleven to do any sort of damage to the Thern because of its natural armour. So the best choice for this one is to use the Stiletto, poison it, and then let the poison kill this thing. Let's get rolling.

Thern's Initiative Roll: 4 + 1 = 5
Pip's initiative roll: 6 + 2 = 8

Pip attacks! 3 + 3 = 6, a miss.
Pip attacks again! 1 + 2 = 3, another miss.
Rock Thern attacks! 3 + 5 = 8, Pip is hit for 3 + 5 - 3 = 5 LIFE POINTS and is down to 15. The roof (roll: 5 + 5 = 10) holds.

Pip attacks! 4 + 1 = 5, miss.
Pip attacks again! 5 + 4 = 9, Rock Thern is hit for 2 + 1 - 6 = NO LIFE POINTS and is poisoned (2 LIFE POINTS per round). The roof (roll: 4 + 6 = 10) holds.
Rock Thern attacks! 2 + 5 = 7, Pip would be hit but is missed because of the Beetle's status effect. Rock Thern is hurt by poison and is down to 13 LIFE POINTS.

Pip attacks! 1 + 3 = 4, miss.
Pip attacks again! 2 + 5 = 7, Rock Thern is hit for 0 + 1 - 6 = NO LIFE POINTS and is double poisoned (4 LIFE POINTS per round). The roof (roll: 4 + 6 = 10) holds.
Rock Thern attacks! 6 + 6 = 12, welp, Pip is hit for 7 + 5 - 3 = 9 LIFE POINTS and is down to 6. Rock Thern is hurt by poison and is down to 9 LIFE POINTS. The roof (roll: 3 + 2 = 5) holds.

Pip attacks! 1 + 2 = 3, yet another miss.
Pip attacks again! 5 + 3 = 8, Rock Thern is hit for 1 + 1 - 6 = NO LIFE POINTS and is triple poisoned (6 LIFE POINTS per round). The roof (roll: 2 + 6 = 8) holds.
Rock Thern Attacks! 2 + 4 = 6, fabulous miss. Rock Thern is hurt by poison, is down to 3 LIFE POINTS, and falls unconcious.

This could have gone better, I think. But we're still alive!

Now we obviously need to heal. Do we drink one of our two potions, or chance Sleeping again? And after that, do we keep going in this direction to 191 or turn back and try the other passage?

Pip's Stat Block posted:

LIFE POINTS: :siren: 6 / 48+1 :siren:
EXPERIENCE POINTS: :siren: 11 :siren:
INVENTORY: Sword (hits on a 6, +3 damage), Good Armour (-3 damage), Rusty dagger (hits on a 6, +2 damage), rope, grappling hook, lamp, flint and steel, poison stiletto (+1 damage, :siren: 5 :siren: doses of 2-damage-per-round poison), healing potion x2 (restores two dice rolls' worth of LIFE POINTS), magical quinine (heals malaria), tiny little golden key x6, Pigform Scroll x1 (works on a 4 or better on two dice, turns a single enemy into a 15 LIFE POINT pig that hits on a 6 for normal damage), Bottle of Grog x1, Long John Silver's Bribe (100 Gold Pieces), can carry two more items from the storeroom
TREASURE: :siren: 930 :siren: gold pieces, gems worth 1,500 gold pieces

Mikl fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Sep 27, 2015

• Locked thread