Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
There is a loving demo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Right here, in fact.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

What're people's thoughts on Serpent in the Staglands? I'm intrigued but afraid that it's gonna be too mired in the past for me to handle.

Shark Tower
Dec 31, 2008

Amppelix posted:

I do like to feel things every now and then, but whenever I see screenshots like this

It really makes me think that this game's sense of humor is not for me. Aagh, maybe I should just loving play it for a while and see if it gets to me or not.

It's an incredibly clever game disguised as a seemingly dumb game. Which is sort of incredible in itself when you think about it.

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011
Serpent in the Staglands seems really really cool. Unfortunately due to the long loading screens and how often said loading screens occur, I basically haven't gotten anywhere with it and am rather reluctant to find out if it actually is any good.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
I wonder how bad Omega Quintet really is. I mean, I played through three different Agarest games, how bad could it be?

Cake Attack posted:

i love gamefaqs guides where the suggested levels for bosses are obscenely high and then the only strategy is "not really much to say, just fight normally. a pretty easy boss."
This is basically my metric for judging a guide's quality, just skip to the middle and peruse a segment and a boss encounter and see how well-documented it is. Almost as good are the ones that at least present some semblance of information but don't bother to tell you anything about what the boss actually does, and a notch below that the ones that utilize an extremely specific strategy that they tell you to employ in every encounter in the game.

Like literally there's a SO3 guide out there where the strategy for everything is "Side Kick spam until you win." And the worst part is, that's not even a bad strategy.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Hey I asked in the Before I Play thread as well, but anything I need to know or be wary of before leaping into Disgaea 4? Vita version, for what that's worth.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Nakar posted:

I wonder how bad Omega Quintet really is. I mean, I played through three different Agarest games, how bad could it be?

It's pretty bad. Not in any especially glaring way, it's just not good.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Is Lost Dimension any good?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

kinda? it's a good concept executed as lackluster as possible. the traitor system is underwhelming since they just go "yup, i'm the traitor k im dead now" and the gameplay has a good base but there's no map design ever so it doesn't work great. i wouldn't pay full price but it'd be worth looking at during a sale

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
Lost Dimension can also be really annoying if you're even a little bit of a completionist, since you can't max out your relationships with all characters (which is required for the true ending) in a single playthrough, and if one of the characters you didn't max out is randomly selected as the traitor early on in your second playthrough then welp, guess you're gonna have to do a third playthrough

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Is there some way to savescum that or something, or do they make it impossible to "reroll" the traitor?

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Nakar posted:

Is there some way to savescum that or something, or do they make it impossible to "reroll" the traitor?

It generally takes about 3-5 missions between when the traitor is determined and when you can figure out who the traitor is, so you could do that but it'd still be a pain. Also the game autosaves a lot so you'd have to back up your save from before it picks a traitor.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Undertale is very clever and good, and also made me feel things. I would highly recommend it. It won't change your life, but you will probably laugh and it might just make you sad also.
Quoting myself just to say that Undertale is the first game I've marathoned start to finish since I was about thirteen years old. 8.5 hours from start to true end, though I didn't go the KILL EVERYTHING route. I had other things to do today and now they'll have to be done tomorrow!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nakar posted:

It's not amazing but it's literally a million times better than any Agarest game.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

wateyad posted:

These are and always have been fundamentally single player games. The multiplayer is there as a bonus feature because (I assume) it takes very little effort to implement and has been at least kind of janky for at least as long as the games have been 3D. I can understand being personally kind of disappointed about mechanics making it more awkward but it feels silly as a source of criticism because the games clearly never have been and probably never will be designed around multiplayer.
the thing is, if you're going to make it so hard to function, why even include it? like it's one thing if it's just kind of janky but it's another to make it completely unplayable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

The thing here being that it is literally impossible to get in someone's grill over the internet, yet that's where people talk about things being too hyped.

Plz stop talking about the game you like I'm physically unable to skip your posts and it is forcing me to form an opinion on something with incomplete information. Rape culture

BadAstronaut
Sep 15, 2004

So I want to get into Dragon Quest iii now that I've got it on my android phone. I'm worried it's one of those games you can make an early character creation/stats decisions or something.

Any suggestions for that opening quiz thing right at the beginning of the game.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

BadAstronaut posted:

So I want to get into Dragon Quest iii now that I've got it on my android phone. I'm worried it's one of those games you can make an early character creation/stats decisions or something.

Any suggestions for that opening quiz thing right at the beginning of the game.

The quiz is basically meaningless. All it affects is your character's personality, which will add up to negligible bonuses or penalties to your character's base stats - not even enough to get outside of the range of RNG swing, much less make an actual difference to anything noticeable. Plus personality is trivially changed by using one of the personality-changing books or equipping most accessories, so unless you actively avoid that it'll tend to even out anyway. It's not worth attempting to manipulate at all, much less stressing over.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Cake Attack posted:

i love gamefaqs guides where the suggested levels for bosses are obscenely high and then the only strategy is "not really much to say, just fight normally. a pretty easy boss."

My favorite instance of this isn't from gamefaqs but from the Games-run Before I Play thing.

Someone suggested to be level 10 for the very first boss in Earthbound.

Which, uh, would take a fair amount of grinding.

I think it's kinda lame to have trouble with a fight and your first instinct is WELP GOTTA GRIND FOR MANY HOURS instead of thinking of better ways to handle the fight

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Srice posted:

My favorite instance of this isn't from gamefaqs but from the Games-run Before I Play thing.

Someone suggested to be level 10 for the very first boss in Earthbound.

Which, uh, would take a fair amount of grinding.

I think it's kinda lame to have trouble with a fight and your first instinct is WELP GOTTA GRIND FOR MANY HOURS instead of thinking of better ways to handle the fight
to be fair it's not like there's much strategic depth in earthbound. not to mention it's just ness solo for the first fight. if you lose at it, grinding pretty much is the only recourse. just, uh, ten minutes of it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Endorph posted:

to be fair it's not like there's much strategic depth in earthbound. not to mention it's just ness solo for the first fight. if you lose at it, grinding pretty much is the only recourse. just, uh, ten minutes of it.

For that fight yeah.

I meant it's a lame attitude to tough spots in rpgs as a general rule.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it varies, some games really have so little strategic depth that there's nothing you can do but grind. that said people seem too quick to resort to it, yeah.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I don't mind if people grind, especially if they enjoy it or just want a way to waste time.

What I can't stand is people who grind to way above what's expected then say that the game doesn't promote strategic depth throughout the game. I'm looking at you, personal friend that grinded to level 60 in the ghost train part of FFVII.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I'd say the fact that you can either come up with a better strategy or grind is actually one of the main appeals of RPGs, even if most people aren't conscious of it because they always choose one or the other. Unlike most genres, they can easily be built for entirely different playstyles at the same time, without having to do anything gimmicky.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
If you're writing a guide for a game you should at least be as competent at the game as is possible, and not assume the player has everything available unless the player would by following your directions. When every strategy turns on using one specific character's ability that is only unlocked by using some other ability 1000 times, you'd better at the absolute least make sure people reading know to spam that ability 1000 times ASAP. And even then you should really make sure there isn't a better way (though sometimes there just isn't because some games are poo poo).

Then again, go too far and you have the opposite end of the spectrum where FF5 guides list only the easiest, cheesiest, guaranteed-to-work-at-any-level strategy to instakill a boss and never even bother to explain how the boss works because why wouldn't you just instantly kill it? I saw some guy doing single-class runs who had to invent his own strategies because all the guides assumed you wouldn't restrict yourself. Which is fine to some extent, but at least explain what the boss uses before saying "But don't worry, because if you do this, he just dies immediately and can't do any damage to you."

Sakurazuka posted:

It's not amazing but it's literally a million times better than any Agarest game.
I find that hard to-

Wait no, I find that extremely easy to believe.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Local nerd store had like nothing today what the gently caress.

I did get Shining Force Neo in the mail tho. I guess Amazon is the only reliable option for old RPGs

I'll beat Grandia next time I sit down with it, I'm at the final two dungeons

Celery Face
Feb 18, 2012

Quest For Glory II posted:

I did get Shining Force Neo in the mail tho. I guess Amazon is the only reliable option for old RPGs
Lukie Games is pretty good too.

The only thing I know about Shining Force Neo is that the voice acting and dialogue is hilariously terrible. Almost as bad as Chaos Wars. There's a rumour that the voices were done by a children's theatre troupe. Might not be true but it would explain a lot.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero

Nakar posted:

If you're writing a guide for a game you should at least be as competent at the game as is possible, and not assume the player has everything available unless the player would by following your directions. When every strategy turns on using one specific character's ability that is only unlocked by using some other ability 1000 times, you'd better at the absolute least make sure people reading know to spam that ability 1000 times ASAP. And even then you should really make sure there isn't a better way (though sometimes there just isn't because some games are poo poo).

Then again, go too far and you have the opposite end of the spectrum where FF5 guides list only the easiest, cheesiest, guaranteed-to-work-at-any-level strategy to instakill a boss and never even bother to explain how the boss works because why wouldn't you just instantly kill it? I saw some guy doing single-class runs who had to invent his own strategies because all the guides assumed you wouldn't restrict yourself. Which is fine to some extent, but at least explain what the boss uses before saying "But don't worry, because if you do this, he just dies immediately and can't do any damage to you."

I find that hard to-

Wait no, I find that extremely easy to believe.

Just have everyone as maxed freelancers and use Gil Toss. Boss is easy. I'm assuming that was the strategy.

Locke Dunnegan
Apr 25, 2005

Respectable Bespectacled Receptacle

Are you weakly trolling, unable to understand sarcasm, or think that people shouldn't talk about liking games to avoid influencing people choosing to read posts? :psyduck:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Clarste posted:

I'd say the fact that you can either come up with a better strategy or grind is actually one of the main appeals of RPGs, even if most people aren't conscious of it because they always choose one or the other. Unlike most genres, they can easily be built for entirely different playstyles at the same time, without having to do anything gimmicky.

I mean, that other play style is using the resources the game gives you.

As a long time tabletop RPGer there's this unexplainable aversion to using resources. A fear that something bigger is always around the corner so you're always saving up for the big encounter that never comes. I think it was the Baldur's Gate games that broke me because you really can't win a lot of fights without your potions and wands unless you cheese the AI and that gets tedious.

Stop worrying and love the megalixer!

e: For Earthbound I hated using the bottle rockets but those things are auto-win buttons.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Are you weakly trolling, unable to understand sarcasm, or think that people shouldn't talk about liking games to avoid influencing people choosing to read posts? :psyduck:
the post was bad, not the opinions expressed in the post.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

al-azad posted:

I mean, that other play style is using the resources the game gives you.

As a long time tabletop RPGer there's this unexplainable aversion to using resources. A fear that something bigger is always around the corner so you're always saving up for the big encounter that never comes. I think it was the Baldur's Gate games that broke me because you really can't win a lot of fights without your potions and wands unless you cheese the AI and that gets tedious.

Stop worrying and love the megalixer!

e: For Earthbound I hated using the bottle rockets but those things are auto-win buttons.

I found an item that casts a spell that could do 200 damage to all enemies? I better save it for when I *really* need it!

*50 hours later, item is still in inventory and player is regularly casting spells that do 5000 damage to all*

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It wasn't until I tried doing low level challenges in RPGs that I was really able to appreciate consumable items outside of the stock healing stuff.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Most of the time I just forget I even have those items, I don't normally save them for any specific reason

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'm a bit averse to using consumables as well, but if a battle starts getting down to the wire I'll start dipping into my inventory freely.

e: Then there's Chrono Trigger where potions are super-cheap so I maxed them out at every shop and used them for field healing.

Motto fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Sep 26, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

hell yeah

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I really like those games that make items just unlimited. Limited supply is ultimately a tedium.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Tae posted:

I really like those games that make items just unlimited. Limited supply is ultimately a tedium.
Consumables that refresh by map/fight are a great idea that allow for scarcity but don't encourage hoarding and more games need to do them.

There was a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth about completely removing weapon durability in the newest Fire Emblem game, but I honestly think it's a step forward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Tae posted:

I would be interested in a non-action RPG where everything is permanent but on a cooldown.