Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best K-On?
This poll is closed.
Mio 26 18.18%
Yui 21 14.69%
Ritsu 30 20.98%
Azusa 17 11.89%
Mugi 49 34.27%
Total: 143 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

But is it the good kind of sexy or the oversexualized kind of sexy? You know, the one that makes everyone come off as a pedophile?

Cause really, there's no way to tell with all these creepy japanese that oversexualize everything. One day you read a manga about cooking and sexy girls and then BAM! Everything is just too sexy and every character becomes a pedophile.

Not me though, it's always those creepy japanese that make everything oversexualized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I now want pon alien to be happy

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
I want him to post boats.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I want him to post the girl vomiting

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Waffleman_ posted:

Okay, so they have the other two things, but.

The first number in parenthesis is the weight of her breasts and the second is her underwire.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
And now it's saturdanime time. It's gonna be good.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

this is such an epic page. mc can't handle the loving muscles on grandpa!!!

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Wait, little Araragi is voicing this lady? That's... odd. Big baps aside, this character strikes me as the "too cool for school delinquent" type. Oh well.

The Colonel posted:

He insulted titty mouse pads then pon alien made a pon alien post and he got real mad.

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

Someone said tiddy mousepads were good and he lost his poo poo.

Oh, okay! I mean... yeah.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Tldr backlog

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Pon alien is known bad posted devourer of fire

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh I noticed Stella to Mille Feuille getting posted earlier and thought the art was familiar, I forgot that was the same person who wrote Hana to Rakurai and Mashikaku Rock which are both short and complete and really good.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Davincie posted:

i prefer them kept as in the original. mostly you can get the intent anyway. if its something not entirely obvious or a joke, just put it in a little note underneath the panel

Bad Seafood posted:

Leave them intact with a translation on the side.

littleorv posted:

I find the sound effects add to the art so I don't like translations that mess with them. I'm cool with an SFX note in the margins or whatever.

The Colonel posted:

The original look of the sound effects is kinda neat.

Srice posted:

I generally like a tiny footnote to the side of the panel that's just something like "sfx = (whatever)". Plus it's the quickest way to add a translation in.

Everything Burrito posted:

Yeah, I like how they get integrated into the art and think they're better left alone. I don't remember now what I was reading but whoever translated it had erased all the sound effects and replaced them with really bland stuff like KA-POW in block text and it was terrible.

Well dang, that was pretty one-sided. Maybe I will try changing my ways.

In my defense I tried to choose font/size/placement and such so that it was as close to the original as possible; I definitely agree that they are part of the art, or at least panel layout.

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

I personally don't care what's done as long as it doesn't mess up the artwork, but then, I know my kana. I think your approach is best.

Another question is whether to transliterate them or translate them, especially when there's no obvious English analogue.

Yeah, when I'm reading something personally I prefer as much of the original text as possible...but I would also just rather read the raws, so I am more than a little biased.

It certainly gets trickier when they start using effects for things without even a close English equivalent. I guess that's a side benefit of the "put translations off to the side" method, you could just say "menacing rumble" or whatever.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Bad Seafood posted:

Your posting precedes you Effectronica.

This is the gayest sentence I've ever read that didn't involve anal sex

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Wait, little Araragi is voicing this lady? That's... odd. Big baps aside, this character strikes me as the "too cool for school delinquent" type. Oh well.
Yuka Iguchi's voiced characters like that before.

Also she's in senran kagura too and the devs seem to be reusing a lot of the VAs from that. Probably because they already have working relationships with them.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
I don't like to see drama in my cool chat thread! Please everyone be calm! Also, please watch it on the slurs! We're a cool place and we respect others!

*cue Plutonis or someone dropping the "f" word at me*

Guys, come on, just be chill and talk about awesome anime!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also sfx opinion: if it's an action series where sfx are often as dynamic a part of the action as anything else, leave them alone. if it's a comedy where sfx are usually just punchlines, i'd translate them.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Inami is really cute!

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

z0glin Warchief posted:

Uh, so how do y'all feel about sound effects in manga? Personally I follow the "replace them if it's possible to do so without messing up the art/panel, otherwise put a translation to the side" school, but I'm curious what other people think.

Don't replace, don't translate, it doesn't matter. I don't need to know that the little kanas next to the drawing of the girl eating are the sounds of eating

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

PrinceRandom posted:

This is the gayest sentence I've ever read that didn't involve anal sex
Thanks for the input, chief.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The probated posters are tearing our community apart, as englan beat Wales at rugby

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Endorph posted:

Yuka Iguchi's voiced characters like that before.

Also she's in senran kagura too and the devs seem to be reusing a lot of the VAs from that. Probably because they already have working relationships with them.

Huh. Never knew. All I can remember her is little Araragi, the two annoying nuns and the short girl from True Tears.

Why the gently caress do I still remember true tears? :negative:

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Every one of my posts is a gay sentence

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Wark Say posted:

Also, what the hell did Effectronica post that got everyone all mad? Feels like I missed it.

Apparently she believes that physical representations of women are haram.

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
Kinda annoyed that there isn't an achievement for clearing all the challenges in plague of shadows.

PrinceRandom
Feb 26, 2013

Your reputation proceeds you mister bond. *Rubs my goatee and turns on my death laser*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

boom boom boom posted:

Don't replace, don't translate, it doesn't matter. I don't need to know that the little kanas next to the drawing of the girl eating are the sounds of eating
sometimes there isn't enough context to figure it out, though.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That will be enough talking about Effectronica in this thread for one day.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Oppai mousepads.....

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I made feet

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Wark Say posted:

Huh. Never knew. All I can remember her is little Araragi, the two annoying nuns and the short girl from True Tears.

Why the gently caress do I still remember true tears? :negative:

someone had to. you lost the raffle.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Srice posted:

Gatcha!

wala wala (japanese for lol [sp?])

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tarranon posted:

wala wala (japanese for lol [sp?])

wwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

Endorph posted:

sometimes there isn't enough context to figure it out, though.

True; I can't remember any specific examples at the moment, but I do remember being annoyed a few times where a mistranslated sound effect totally changed the meaning of a panel.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

PrinceRandom posted:

Your reputation proceeds you mister bond. *Rubs my goatee and turns on my death laser*
SMH if you don't own a death laser to point at people while you ask them important questions.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Bad Seafood posted:

SMH if you don't own a death laser to point at people while you ask them important questions.

I own a pair of chanclas, and that is just as powerful a weapon, if you know anything about Mexican child-raising.

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Sephiroth_IRA
Mar 31, 2010
When it comes to mouse pads I'm a boob man.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wark Say posted:

I own a pair of chanclas, and that is just as powerful a weapon, if you know anything about Mexican child-raising.

you beat your kid?

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

At video games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Sephiroth_IRA posted:

When it comes to mouse pads I'm a boob man.

• Locked thread