Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

CaptainJuan posted:

Couldn't figure out a better thread for this... my LG Tone HBS-700 headset is finally starting to die after 2 years. I remember hearing that the original model was better than the 2nd generation model... but what about whatever the current model is? There's the Tone Pro, Tone Ultra, and Tone Infinim, and I'm a little skeptical of the tone infinim because of the retractable earbuds which i feel like would be a major weak point.
The retractable ear buds are awesome, but it doesn't flex and if you have a thick neck it's definitely noticeably constricting on your collar. Sound is good though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently the Nexus 6P has a 3450mah battery.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

gently caress, these Nexus 6P leaks make me want one, but there is no way I can justify upgrading from a Nexus 6 right now :(

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The Nexus 6P also has a metal unibody so that probably means no Qi.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Holy gently caress OnePlus has the worst store page in the universe. I happened to get an invite to buy one and I wanted to add it in the store page to see how long I'd hypothetically be out a phone but it doesn't seem to want to let me buy it. I wanted to give you my money one plus but you just wouldn't let me.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

LionYeti posted:

Holy gently caress OnePlus has the worst store page in the universe. I happened to get an invite to buy one and I wanted to add it in the store page to see how long I'd hypothetically be out a phone but it doesn't seem to want to let me buy it. I wanted to give you my money one plus but you just wouldn't let me.

Oneplus has the worst everything. Marketing, product, etc.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

LionYeti posted:

This is the best thing the company has ever done.

nocal
Mar 7, 2007
Based on this leaked presenation, the "camera bump" on the Nexus 6P is 1) for better low light photography, and 2) not nearly as bad-looking as it has previously appeared.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

So, I've had a Moto G (2015) for about two weeks now, and I'm going to be honest...I can't see myself ever spending more than $300 on a phone again. This is just that good - it runs way smoother than my Moto X 2013, which isn't surprising, but it is also every bit as quick as my Nexus 6 was when I was using it. The phone, while plastic, doesn't feel cheap, though I will admit the bezels are a bit large - not in itself a problem, but when combined with the 5" screen makes the phone handle larger than I'd like it too. I got the 16gb/2gb version, and it runs very smooth, though I don't play any games on it. 720p on a 5" screen is totally fine in this price range, though it is a bit dim. Battery life seems to be good, though I'm already having some wakelock issues (Android :downs: ). I bought the flip shell for it, which is also pretty nice. The rubberized texture feels much better than the regular plastic, and the magnet keeping the cover closed is a nice addition. Water resistance is a nice bonus. Also, while I am all for large amounts of internal storage and ditching SD slots, on a design like this adding the SD card probably isn't requiring many sacrifices, and allows me to store a ton of music/photos locally, which I don't care if I lose to SD card failure/corruption. Finally, I still have faith that Motorola will pull through on their device updates; the only ones they had issue with previously have been the Moto X (2013) and Verizon devices, which while lame, is understandable. They've said that selling the Moto G and Moto X Pure only unlocked should make the update process much more streamlined, as they will only have to develop one update for each model, which they can push out on their own time table.

It does have some peculiarities, though. With the flip cover closed, the Moto gesture doesn't work to turn the flashlight on, which is pretty obnoxious. Also, I found the camera gesture to be WAY more sensitive than other Motorola phones I've tired - it turns on pretty easily, to the point where I'm considering turning it off. The buttons wobble a bit, which doesn't feel quite nice enough to match the rest of the phone. Finally, the lack of NFC is a little puzzling; I understand they need to cut costs everywhere they can, but NFC chips are so exceedingly cheap that they could have added one and not raised the price much at all, certainly not enough to turn potential buyers off. I don't care too much about smartphone cameras, but general consensus seems to be that the camera is tolerable at best.

Overall, this really is an exceptional deal - while other devices such as the Zenfone 2 have higher-end hardware for the price, it is just such a smooth, polished device that I'd have trouble recommending anything else to someone looking for a budget smartphone, and it is capable enough that I no longer feel the need to buy something exceedingly expensive to get a good user experience.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

bull3964 posted:

And probably acts as heatsink. I have that Lumia 930 and it's sinking the heat into the aluminium frame, which makes it annoyingly warm to hold.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

IuniusBrutus posted:

Finally, I still have faith that Motorola will pull through on their device updates; the only ones they had issue with previously have been the Moto X (2013) and Verizon devices, which while lame, is understandable.

The 2014 X got 5.1 almost about the same time as Samsung, which is pretty terrible. And they just started rolling out Stagefright patches last week, which was also behind Samsung. Their track record isn't really that great, at least not since people assume it's basically just a Nexus with some bonuses added on

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

CLAM DOWN posted:

gently caress, these Nexus 6P leaks make me want one, but there is no way I can justify upgrading from a Nexus 6 right now :(

Luckily my wife hasn't upgraded from her Note 3. She gets my N6 and I'm getting a N6P most likely.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

FunOne posted:

Luckily my wife hasn't upgraded from her Note 3. She gets my N6 and I'm getting a N6P most likely.

Wow must be nice. My wife's main request in her new phone is it must be better than mine.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

nocal posted:

Based on this leaked presenation, the "camera bump" on the Nexus 6P is 1) for better low light photography, and 2) not nearly as bad-looking as it has previously appeared.

It looks way better than I thought from the older leaks. I'm seriously considering swapping to this from my GS6 because of the horrendous screen-on-time.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The screen is made of Gorilla

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

baka kaba posted:

The screen is made of Gorilla

https://youtu.be/WAQmYuvUgOs

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Expected that to be this.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Yeah the 6P looks a lot nicer than I thought. I might go with that.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

bull3964 posted:

What? NO!!!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

I'm sure Qi back plates will be sold before it's officially released.

You know, the Nexus 6 has wireless charging..

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

I just had a pretty terrible experience ordering a Moto X Pure through Moto Maker. I checked it out on the 14th and was surprised to see the delivery date was the 21st so I ordered one. The 21st came and went and the phone was stuck in "being assembled". Many calls later someone at their white glove customer service department confirmed that the date was a system error and that I would probably get my phone in October. Throughout the whole ordeal they refused to let me cancel despite the fact it was their error. It took my credit card notifying them of my dispute to get them to cancel my order and issue a refund.

I know that OnePlus gets a lot of hate (and the phone really wasn't great) but the invite system was much better than dealing with this. Once I got my invite I was able to check out, the phone was shipped 5 days later and arrived two days after that. I ended up selling the phone to a colleague but I thought the order process was pretty smooth.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm going to end up with a 6P and will end up burning my hand or thigh and criticize my poor decision making

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

What would have happened... if the glass was Gorilla Glass? :eyepop:

I like that one guy's confidence though. *SMASH* ' hehe'

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Back when I got my Nexus 6, I had some issues with the Android recovery working when I set up the phone initially. It was a pain in the rear end, and I had to manually re-download everything.

If I were to wipe my Nexus 6 right now (I'm having some wonky issues with it that a wipe will fix, I think), would I be successful in using the Android app recovery to re-download all my poo poo?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

It should download all the apps associated with your google account. I don't think anyone can predict whether it'll work this time if it didn't before!

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Though do note it's supposedly a thing they worked on for Android M, so we might have a significantly better version next month if we're lucky 😯

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I'm sure Qi back plates will be sold before it's officially released.

You know, the Nexus 6 has wireless charging..

It's going to be unibody, so it won't have a backplate. It would have to be a qi case or something.

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!
Could someone with a note5 help me out with an experiment? I tried asking the android games thread but I anticipate a better response here.

There is a board/card game called Summoner Wars that has a really good app implementation. There is a similarly named anime looking game, but that is not what I am asking about.

There are reviews that say that it crashes on a S6. I want to know if it also crashes on a note5. Could someone please give it a try (i think it's free) and let me know if it's broken?

I'm thinking about getting a note5, and if this app is broken, that'll be a mark in my 'cons' column. There is really no chance in hell that the developers will fix it for dumb reasons.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Might wanna link to your anime app if you want someone to download it!

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
I'll test it, just link the play store url please!

nocal
Mar 7, 2007

Rusty Kettle posted:

Could someone with a note5 help me out with an experiment? I tried asking the android games thread but I anticipate a better response here.

There is a board/card game called Summoner Wars that has a really good app implementation. There is a similarly named anime looking game, but that is not what I am asking about.

There are reviews that say that it crashes on a S6. I want to know if it also crashes on a note5. Could someone please give it a try (i think it's free) and let me know if it's broken?

I'm thinking about getting a note5, and if this app is broken, that'll be a mark in my 'cons' column. There is really no chance in hell that the developers will fix it for dumb reasons.

This game must have the most anime titties

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

baka kaba posted:

What would have happened... if the glass was Gorilla Glass? :eyepop:

I like that one guy's confidence though. *SMASH* ' hehe'

It was actually shot at the zoo in my city, having been there many times myself I would be quite confident in the ability of the glass to hold, since it's like triple-layer plastic-core compound poo poo that would probably hold out longer than the wall it's set in.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Rusty Kettle posted:

Assuming you're talking about Summoner Wars and not Summoners War, I'm downloading it now and I'll let you know.

E: yup not lookin' good chief. Loaded it up and it went to a black screen and sat there for a minute or more before I gave up.

LuckyCat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Sep 27, 2015

Rusty Kettle
Apr 10, 2005
Ultima! Ahmmm-bing!

Droid Washington posted:

Assuming you're talking about Summoner Wars and not Summoners War, I'm downloading it now and I'll let you know.

E: yup not lookin' good chief. Loaded it up and it went to a black screen and sat there for a minute or more before I gave up.

That's the one. Thanks for trying it out.

Playdek needs to stop pissing people off with their unfulfilled kickstarters and start fixing bugs.

Selane
May 19, 2006

uPen posted:

It looks way better than I thought from the older leaks. I'm seriously considering swapping to this from my GS6 because of the horrendous screen-on-time.

I know somebody(Apple I think?) recently got busted for photoshopping a camera bump out of promotional photos, and I wouldn't put it past Google either. I'll believe it when I see it. I mean, according to this photo, their basically is no camera bump, which seems a little suspicious based on all the previous leaked information.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Selane posted:

I know somebody(Apple I think?) recently got busted for photoshopping a camera bump out of promotional photos, and I wouldn't put it past Google either. I'll believe it when I see it. I mean, according to this photo, their basically is no camera bump, which seems a little suspicious based on all the previous leaked information.

There's also the angle that forces the upper edge of the bump into line with the phone, and lighting which downplays the curvature of the bump.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
The turbo charger that came with my Nexus 6 is now emitting a high-pitched whine sometimes, and often won't charge. I bought the Nexus from the Google Store, so I called them for support. I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with them, and they eventually told me "this is taking too long, call back tomorrow."

The guy I spoke with seemed utterly stymied by how to handle this and put me on hold about 6 times. I seriously cannot be the first person to need a charger replaced. He said that nobody there could figure out how to handle this because they apparently don't sell the charger separately and thus can't send me a new one? He wants to refund me the cost of a new charger and have me buy one myself. This is the first time I've ever dealt with the support at the Google Store; is it always this terrible?

Alan_Shore posted:

My best typing experience on a phone so far has been... the Palm Pre. The keyboard was a little small but you could assign auto corrects like "u" to "you". Ah I do miss that phone.

Quoting for truth. Every new phone I get makes me go ":sigh: Still not as good as the Pre."

And I was just bitching earlier today that everyone claimed I would get used to on-screen keyboards as I used them more, and I'd eventually be faster. Nope. I've been using onscreen keyboards for 5 years now and I still type at less than 1/10th of the speed that I can manage on the Pre. I use voice transcription whenever I can, because using the keyboard sucks so hard.

Mnemosyne fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 27, 2015

Syrinxx
Mar 28, 2002

Death is whimsical today

Stop considering phones with the 810 thanks in advance

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Mnemosyne posted:

The turbo charger that came with my Nexus 6 is now emitting a high-pitched whine sometimes, and often won't charge. I bought the Nexus from the Google Store, so I called them for support. I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with them, and they eventually told me "this is taking too long, call back tomorrow."

The guy I spoke with seemed utterly stymied by how to handle this and put me on hold about 6 times. I seriously cannot be the first person to need a charger replaced. He said that nobody there could figure out how to handle this because they apparently don't sell the charger separately and thus can't send me a new one? He wants to refund me the cost of a new charger and have me buy one myself. This is the first time I've ever dealt with the support at the Google Store; is it always this terrible?

Your charger is just lazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler

Ochowie posted:

I just had a pretty terrible experience ordering a Moto X Pure through Moto Maker. I checked it out on the 14th and was surprised to see the delivery date was the 21st so I ordered one. The 21st came and went and the phone was stuck in "being assembled". Many calls later someone at their white glove customer service department confirmed that the date was a system error and that I would probably get my phone in October. Throughout the whole ordeal they refused to let me cancel despite the fact it was their error. It took my credit card notifying them of my dispute to get them to cancel my order and issue a refund.

I know that OnePlus gets a lot of hate (and the phone really wasn't great) but the invite system was much better than dealing with this. Once I got my invite I was able to check out, the phone was shipped 5 days later and arrived two days after that. I ended up selling the phone to a colleague but I thought the order process was pretty smooth.

Motorola is... not the best with support. I ended up realizing that the power button on my pure was defective and that it was getting worse over time. I tried getting a support RMA online and a week later the whole thing was canceled out of the blue. It took an online chat + call for them to tell me they didn't have any in stock, which makes sense. But somewhere in their system it decided to just cancel it because it took too long? :psyduck:

The Nexus 6P looks great but unfortunately I don't need a handwarmer 810.