Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Decrepus posted:

No, I wasn't aware of that when I made my post referencing the 9/11 thread using the laffo emoji.

Am I being trolled

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Decrepus posted:

No, I wasn't aware of that when I made my post referencing the 9/11 thread using the laffo emoji.
Well, it was kinda hard to tell. Sorry.

You do a very convincing impression of an idiot, congratulations!

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
What are "Temple Guard", they sound decidedly heathen for a Marignon kind of nation (or are they like Knights Templar?)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is Mari and Mictlan separated by an ocean in dom4landia? Mari is Spain's stand in and they already pull names like Giuseppe in dom4 iirc. The temple guards are just the Conquistadors equivalent here I imagine.

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
the game is going to be bad

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Samog posted:

the game is going to be bad

It will. But not in the good bad way like dominions.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

CoE was good because you start with one guy who is super important and irreplaceable and after he gets killed by a deer you are just supposed to sit there collecting your one super mario coin per turn until you can recruit a footman.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Gates on towns, cities, and castles tend to do a good job keeping them out now.
Exploring Agartha, Hades, and Hell is pretty cool as well.

Enjoy posted:

What are "Temple Guard", they sound decidedly heathen for a Marignon kind of nation (or are they like Knights Templar?)

They're part of the Voice of El faction, Mari's stand-in in CoE

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Is that conquest of elysium game like a total rip off or what? i seems like it shouldn't even be legal.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight

malhavok posted:

Is that conquest of elysium game like a total rip off or what? i seems like it shouldn't even be legal.

people who have the copyright to something are generally allowed to use the copyright

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

malhavok posted:

It's by the same company.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Oh, well that makes more sense.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

malhavok posted:

Oh, well that makes more sense.

You will still feel like it is a total rip off.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Decrepus posted:

CoE was good because you start with one guy who is super important and irreplaceable and after he gets killed by a deer you are just supposed to sit there collecting your one super mario coin per turn until you can recruit a footman.

Thats pretty much game over unless you'rep laying on a super low difficulty, the game just takes a while to tell you you've lost

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Has there been any word on changes to CoE4's turn structure? Each player having to take their turn consecutively kinda kills multiplayer

Good Eye Closed
Feb 11, 2005

After over four months, two server crashes, and a resurrection onto a different server, dumbies has come to an end on turn 70!

Dumbies was a newbie game started by thespo/sloppy milkshake in May; it was my second game (my first being a defeat at the hands of Corbeau in DomOnSale). I played the overpowered elf supernation of TNN and got a lot of good advice from IRC, especially from Nuclearmonkee and Boing. I've somehow lost my copy of my actual god, but it more-or-less looked like this:

He served me well, especially as there were no true nature powerhouses so I could use him to eventually cast and keep nature globals, but I think if I did it all over again I would not take a major bless and use the point savings on some combination of less sloth, less misfortune, and an awake god (probably prioritizing awake). My game plan was to recruit nothing but Tuathan sorceresses and Tuathan warriors from my capital as soon as I could get away with it, recruit fir bolg druids and baobhan sidhes from my forts, and recruit good indies if I could find them (I really only ended up with jades until late in the game, sadly); the fir bolg druids would mostly stay at home and research, though some would sing and some would eventually RoS; the baobhan sidhes would either be the backbone of mage balls or assassins (using air gems to cast summon air elemental to take out mages/scary commanders and either lesser air elementals or illusions / evocations to take out random guys I needed dead, such as the many, many indie invaders I ended up needing to deal with). My initial research goals were evo 5, followed by conj 5 and alt 2; I think if I could do it over again I would aim for conj first, though I spent most of the game, early game included, starved for air gems relative to just about everything else, making evo and alt a little better relative to air elementals.

A sample baobhan sidhe assassination:

The game started out OK for me at best. I shamefully forgot to rename my prophet and was stuck with Ceollach the prophet the entire game; I promptly gave up on any sort of commander-naming-gimmick plan. My expansion was middle-of-the-pack; my neighbors ended up being Mictlan, Arco, Helheim, and TC (roughly, Mictlan was to my north, Helheim to my east, Arco to my south, and TC to my west). I NAPped TC and we remained at peace for effectively the entire game until he AIed; I also made nice with Helheim. Mictlan wanted a long peace while he ate his neighbors to the north; I negotiated a NAP until turn 20 and promptly started talking to my other neighbors about how dangerous it would be to let a blood nation live (the Mictlan player did in fact end up covering the world in demons and winning in his other game). Burlap (Berytos) around this time started fighting with Mictlan in order to save Abysia and also started trying to drum up support for a dogpile. My initial plan was to take out Arco quickly and still have time to invade Mictlan the turn after our NAP ended, but I managed to own myself by claiming the throne of Gaia and losing multiple provinces (including an under-construction fort) to swarms of vine men and vine ogres; by the time I cleaned that up, it was time to invade Mictlan.

Helheim also ended up invading Mictlan, but I think the bulk of the fighting was done by Burlap and by me. The division of labor roughly worked out to Burlap fighting stacks of N9B9 jags (and winning, thanks to flaming arrows and antimagic) and me raiding Mictlan's home territories, sieging his forts to keep more jags from being built, and eventually taking the forts, including the cap; I was pretty happy with this arrangement. Mictlan also ended up giving me his gems and gold before going AI, I think because he was upset with Burlap; I used the fire gems to empower a druid and start making lanterns (I later empowered a death-random jade as well in order to make flame skulls).

Once Mictlan died, I started thinking about taking out the next-scariest blood power, namely Berytos. By this time, C'Tis (howareu) had conquered Arco and was my new southern neighbor; he was friendly with Berytos, so I negotiated a very long NAP with him. I then worked out a joint strike with Helheim (Lo Pan) on Berytos. After my experience in DomOnSale, I was really afraid of being puppet-mastered and launching what would turn out to be a lone attack rather than a joint one, but we did in fact end up attacking simultaneously around turn 35, Helheim via flying W9N9 sacreds and me via my first air drop of the game; I cloud trapezed pairs of baobhan sidhes with air gems to summon air elementals in a number of provinces and tried to snipe his god with a large force of tuathan sorcs (with baobhan sidhe arrow catchers) casting living clouds and boosting the elementals with haste, wooden warriors, storm, etc. The attack failed to either kill the snake or cut off its avenues of retreat:

It became clear in the wake of the attack that Berytos had been summoning storm demons for a while, and that my tools for dealing with them weren't great (I sent a smallish army to attack one of his western forts, cast storm, and was promptly annihilated to the last elf). I settled on a strategy of raiding him with vine-shield-equipped ponies and small forces of tuathan warriors, assassinating commanders that left their castles, and dealing with AI Abysia (which was embarrassingly successful at raiding me with Malphas, an army of crossbowmen, summer lions, etc.) while Helheim fought C'Tis and Berytos. After a few turns of this, I snuck a bigger army next to an army of brides and archers where he was presumably building a fort, popped it, then moved onto the western fort, broke down the walls with crumble (alteration was cheaper than normal that month), and had a rematch with the storm demons (and an earthquake trap, but happily I had gotten fog warriors by this point, which I used liberally from this point forward):

Those dust warriors/walkers were awesome the entire game; I really wanted blood and death for the late game, and bootstrapped to death via summoning a forest troll, empowering it in earth, casting hidden in sand, and getting this guy (later empowered in blood using slaves hunted up by him and by a random commander, with the initial slaves coming from captured capitals):

He and the vampire counts he summoned didn't end up being very relevant by the end of the game, though might have been useful if the game had gone less my way. The chaff from hidden in sand was excellent, though.

At this point, Berytos's best hope was his god; he had stuck a copper arm, ring of regeneration, and a charcoal shield on the snake (aptly named Trogdor). Monkee suggested turning it into a frog, and I came up with an elaborate attack consisting of many ponies running forward and casting curse of the frog price (using either thistle maces or nature gems). Frogdor was not to be, alas; a softening up teleport/cloud trapeze attack that was mainly meant to bait out gem use and curse the god killed the snake outright when my mercenary mage landed a lucky soul slay:

Berytos fell soon afterwards (though he did manage to revenge seeking arrow the mercenary, which would have been bad if I hadn't managed to pick up a mercenary couatl, who as a bonus was carrying tons of astral and nature gems). I managed to snap up his lizard shaman province, but sadly not his necromancer province, which Helheim grabbed.

Around this time, C'Tis cast Eyes of God and started sounding the alarm about how far ahead I was, especially in research. C'Tis also had multiple thrones in his territory and I bordered him both north and south, so he was my natural next target. Unlike in DomOnSale (where only 6 throne points were needed, and the game ended via a quick throne grab), 17 throne points were needed in order to win dumbies; I had 6. TC, Helheim, and Caelum were the only other surviving nations; TC had no interest in attacking me, I think I staved off an attack from Helheim for at least a few turns via a combination of my diplomatic efforts (maybe) and his desire to complete a fort on said necromancer province, and Caelum (I think) hesitated due to a desire to consolidate his gains after conquering Machaka. For the next few turns, at least, I was left alone to invade C'Tis and deal with his counter-invasions. I opened the festivities by dispelling his Well of Misery the turn after he cast it.

I had the option at this point of either casting Gale Gate or launching an cloud trapeze raid on C'Tis; I chose the latter, which in hindsight I believe was a big mistake, especially given that Eyes of God pops illusions (which I didn't realize until after the raid). I also cast Gift of Health, which was great for a number of things, including dealing with all of the different ways C'Tis had for diseasing my units.

My first major battle with C'Tis involved me attacking one of his forts and running into his patrolling force; I used a fir bolg druid to cast Rain of Stones and tuathan sorcs to cast fog warriors/mass protection to protect my own forces:

C'Tis staled this turn, unfortunately, and I think he was planning on casting invulnerability of some on his sauromancers, which would have helped.

I also set up many single fir bolgs in my own territory to cast RoS whenever anyone walked into it. The druids tended to survive to cast another day thanks to GoH (or get multiple casts off) and heal any afflictions afterwards. When Helheim eventually completed his fort and attacked, he ran into one of them:

I think that particular fir bolg ended up getting 670 kills by the end of the game. Ros was particularly good against the hordes of longdead horsemen both were using.

I now was fighting both Helheim and C'Tis; I raided C'Tis heavily, fought off raiders and C'Tis's diseasers/pop-killers primarily via commander-killing spells such as earth attack (both from my pretender and an earth king), seeking arrow, and mind hunt (Helheim was attacking every turn with his Dis/Valk squads, allowing earth attack to hit), fought off invading armies with RoS, and focused on killing Helheim's army. Caelum launched an attack around this time, but I was able to fend it off without needing to divert many of my forces (primarily thanks to RoS and assassins). I also cast GoNB, and started building many sidhe lords and sidhe warriors. After killing a Helheim army and his raiders, Helheim stopped being able to attack effectively:

My blind mind hunter (empowered to s2):

TC went AI and the AI promptly started throwing waves of summons and troops at me around this time; this was more than a little annoying to deal with, but didn't really have an effect on the final outcome.

I could now focus entirely on C'Tis, along with clearing thrones via a squad of my pretender casting army of gold, my fire king casting living fire, and a flame spirit fire storming (I got these by recruiting an f2 from a site Berytos had and working my way up from there), along with whatever other mages wanted to tag along. I also picked up the silver throne and started pumping out more mind hunters. C'Tis fought to the bitter end, but was down to only a few provinces. I also took a throne from AI TC. I started claiming thrones in quick succession using my pretender, my prophet, and a cloud trapezing, sword-of-injustice-wielding sidhe lord, and the game ended on turn 70. I cast Enchanted Forest on turn 69, just to see it in action, but it didn't have any impact on the game. If the game had lasted longer, I would have also given vengeful waters a shot. At the end of the game, I still had lower air income than in any other gem; I should have cast Gale Gate when I had the chance.

Newbie games are apparently notorious for many people going AI way too quickly/often; I'm glad that wasn't the case with dumbies. Lo Pan was a good ally and scary opponent, and Burlap and howareu especially fought to the last pixel man and tried to inflict maximum damage with whatever they had remaining. I think I won due to a combination of TNN being incredibly powerful (superb research, incredibly powerful mages, great troops, and many added bonuses like glamour making you invisible on the strategic map and cheap forts), getting good advice from people who know what they're doing, and getting lucky diplomatically.

Also, thank you again Tenjou for rescuing the game when thespo's server died!

If this is too many images, please let me know and I'll link some of them. Also, if for some reason people want to see the results of a different battle or anything else, I have most of the turns saved.

Good Eye Closed fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 27, 2015

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx

Flavahbeast posted:

Has there been any word on changes to CoE4's turn structure? Each player having to take their turn consecutively kinda kills multiplayer

It's simultaneous

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

Nuclearmonkee posted:

Do the descriptions change our is everything told from the perspective of racist Marignon inquisitors lol.

Looks like all the unit descriptions are now from the perspective of racist Marignon inquisitors, which has some excellent potential that is already being realized :v:

Decrepus posted:

Is Mari and Mictlan separated by an ocean in dom4landia? Mari is Spain's stand in and they already pull names like Giuseppe in dom4 iirc. The temple guards are just the Conquistadors equivalent here I imagine.

Yes, they're separated in CoE too: IIRC the Priest King's description says he came from across the sea.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

:cheers:

Excellent write-up! Congrats on your victory, you played really well and it was very clear that you spent a lot of time thinking about how to get the maximum impact out of your troops and mages, and how to diversify.

I was C'tis in this game and had a great time. Burlap (Berytos) and I struck up a friendship early on, both of us being nations with relatively unsteady early games that got much more powerful in the mid, and so we formed a True Friendship Alliance And Mutual Defense Pact. All was going really well for me until GEC managed to convince Lo Pan to attack Berytos with him, and I, because I am true friend, joined in on Burlap's side. Smart thing would have been to let those guys kill Burlap and myself go and eat Caelum, who spent the game doing hilariously dumb thing after hilariously dumb thing and only getting large by the pure luck of Machaka going AI while everybody that bordered him but Caelum was already in a war.

From my anemic scouting I'd surmised that GEC's TNN was getting to be really big, and it almost feels like I spent half the game trying to diplomance hard to convince the rest of the world to recognize it as well.

As soon as I cast Eyes of God I instantly saw that the game was for all intents and purposes finished. The research lead that GEC had was incredible, and that coupled with being slightly to very far ahead in every other category was pretty disheartening. Still, I managed to convince Helheim to join me in one last war, and we promptly got flattened haha.

I still had fun losing, playing the raid and counter-raid game with my sauros vs GEC's tuatha was pretty fun. Every time an actual army met in battle though I got stomped viciously.

Lessons learned from my first newbie game:

- Goons live up to their reputation of never being able to form coalitions to kill the guy clearly running away with the game.
- Fight to the bitter end, you learn a lot and it can be very good fun!
- Plague is a stupidly hard spell to use. I tried 4 or 5 times to get it off on GEC's giant wolf chaff blobs and it never worked once.
- GEC and Burlap are good players who make good use of their tools and you should be their friends / be wary of them.
- gently caress Elves.

:tipshat:

Samog
Dec 13, 2006
At least I'm not an 07.
getting rid of turn five deer death will not make conquest of elysium a good game

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.
that looks like a lot of poo poo going down for a newbie game, i don't stand a goddamn chance if that's the general level of play now. here's hoping i can grease a neighbour with vanheim's sacreds or something because their research game seems kind of rear end

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Luceid posted:

that looks like a lot of poo poo going down for a newbie game, i don't stand a goddamn chance if that's the general level of play now. here's hoping i can grease a neighbour with vanheim's sacreds or something because their research game seems kind of rear end

You learn pretty quickly as you go, especially if you ask on IRC when you have questions. Can't emphasize that enough. Ask and people will very happily give you suggestions for what to research, how to best leverage your battle mages, what tactical mistakes to avoid, etc. It will make a huge difference.

BurlapNapkin
Feb 11, 2013
Yeah that was a good game, though I was out of it about half way in. It was a really good intro to battle magic and stealth movement, and foes have felt the sting of my now-more-informed decision making since. Thanks Good Eye Closed!

Newbie games can be a little unbalanced (if howareu's description of Caelum is accurate, he didn't have much chance ever), but they're still great for learning. Statistically you'll lose most of your dom4 games even as an expert, so defeat shouldn't deter you from hopping in and giving some crazy nation-scheme a go.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

How are u posted:

You learn pretty quickly as you go, especially if you ask on IRC when you have questions. Can't emphasize that enough. Ask and people will very happily give you suggestions for what to research, how to best leverage your battle mages, what tactical mistakes to avoid, etc. It will make a huge difference.

Unless their advice ends up being terrible. :smith:

Seriously though, I learned a poo poo ton of info about the game watching goons debate about what would be the best way to save my horribly unlucky rear end.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Blitz game trip report: skeletons loving everywhere.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Luceid posted:

You improve a lot, quickly.

When you see opponents actually using their spells, scouting and so on you learn how to adapt.

I think it's a big shame that the AI is no good at all at using magic, because that's the real difference between how players and the computer go about things.

Even if you're not on IRC, you'll realise there are a ton of ways to skin a cat wrt battlemagic/taking out key people, etc.

Carcer
Aug 7, 2010
How do you survive rain of stone traps? I've seen people talk about cloud trapezeing them onto armies so simply avoiding them isn't an option.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Just had two events on the same province in one turn. One giving me a mage and another which killed him. Why does this poo poo keep happening to me. :laffo:

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Carcer posted:

How do you survive rain of stone traps? I've seen people talk about cloud trapezeing them onto armies so simply avoiding them isn't an option.

Defender goes first in combat, so if you're worried about them teleporting onto you you need some way to kill a mage on Round 1. Flying troops set to attack are a good way, as are mind blasters, crossbows, and any number of high precision spells

Mu.
Sep 15, 2003

The thing about Forevereal Modding Mu is that he loves editing files and wants others to download his permanent mods. Fully editing, rich text, altering files and loving it. Download his mods and enjoy it.

Decrepus posted:

Just had two events on the same province in one turn. One giving me a mage and another which killed him. Why does this poo poo keep happening to me. :laffo:
I think Dominions just threatened you.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Carcer posted:

Drop a million billion Earth Attacks on provinces where RoSers are jumping from.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Boing posted:

Defender goes first in combat, so if you're worried about them teleporting onto you you need some way to kill a mage on Round 1. Flying troops set to attack are a good way, as are mind blasters, crossbows, and any number of high precision spells

Also spells like body ethereal, big prot buffs, using units with strong armour and good hats, luck, etc to prevent the stones from hurting much.

Using non-human troops helps too. I just watched a battle in a game where a Bandar Log player laid down 3 Earthquakes (similar spell) in a big army fight without even buffing their units first, but since they were using an army of Gandharavas and Yaksha they didn't particularly care about the damage and just kept fighting. Using high-hp units really takes the sting out of spells like this.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.

jBrereton posted:

Drop a million billion Earth Attacks on provinces where RoSers are jumping from.

You could also cast earth attack on the province the RoSer is jumping into, if you get lucky with the casting order and cast it after he cloud trapezes but before the battle occurs.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Hey, so I did a terrible job in gently caress You Thats Why. I had a nation I didn't understand the paths of and honestly now it's reached the point that I feel like I'm way behind everyone else in nation size and general usefulness, so it's just not fun anymore. I applied for the newbie game and FriendPankorator and want to focus my efforts on that. Anyone interested in subbing for me? Alternatively, my neighbors are more than welcome to put me out of my misery in that game as well.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Krysmphoenix posted:

Hey, so I did a terrible job in gently caress You Thats Why. I had a nation I didn't understand the paths of and honestly now it's reached the point that I feel like I'm way behind everyone else in nation size and general usefulness, so it's just not fun anymore. I applied for the newbie game and FriendPankorator and want to focus my efforts on that. Anyone interested in subbing for me? Alternatively, my neighbors are more than welcome to put me out of my misery in that game as well.

Keep playing and just focus all of your effort to killing nuclearmonkee please, tia.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Here's the starting mages for the Markgraf and the Illusionist, the new classes in CoE4!

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Necromancer Hoburgs, did not see that one coming.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
To give a Dom4 analogy, they play a lot like if Sceleria could recruit Hoburg Crossbows.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness

amuayse posted:

To give a Dom4 analogy, they play a lot like if Sceleria could recruit Hoburg Crossbows.

So not even remotely unstoppably overpowered then :stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Have the size 1 units inherent advantages like in Dom4?

• Locked thread