Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

i think two separate primary threads, one for (mocking the) repubs and one for the (dumb bickering between) dems, is the best solution to the current lovely thread crisis

yes please, i'm really tired of gun control and nuclear power getting in the way of watching republican campaigns implode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sheng-Ji Yang
Mar 5, 2014

ok this is now the Republican Presidential Primary thread.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Thank you!

edit: lmbo at Scott Walker.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

John Kasich looks like my HS physics teacher and seems nice.

Montasque
Jul 18, 2003

Living in a hateful world sending me straight to Heaven

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Thank you!

To celebrate here's Marco Rubio saying something reasonable(IN SPANISH) that will make the base want to murder him:

In Spanish Interview, Marco Rubio Says It’s ‘Important Not To Cancel’ Obama’s Executive Amnesty

J. P. Beagley
Apr 11, 2008

Montasque posted:

Thank you!

To celebrate here's Marco Rubio saying something reasonable(IN SPANISH) that will make the base want to murder him:

In Spanish Interview, Marco Rubio Says It’s ‘Important Not To Cancel’ Obama’s Executive Amnesty

Turn right Rubio Nooooo

And just as Trump was attacking him for being weak on immigration, Rubio throws him this meatball right over the plate. (Speak English, Rubio!!!)

Mitt Romney
Nov 9, 2005
dumb and bad

Montasque posted:

Thank you!

He's supposed to wait to say that until after the primaries are over.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

A Neurotic Jew posted:

lmbo at Scott Walker.

seriously, gently caress scott walker forever

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers
Clever strategy by Rubio, saying the things that would anger the base in a language they don't understand. They'll never have any idea what actually happened.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
i love republican presidential primary

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Any day now, Jeb, Walker, or Rubio is gonna turn this thing around and seize the trumpmentum.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Any day now, Jeb, Walker, or Rubio is gonna turn this thing around and seize the trumpmentum.

Yup. February 1, probably.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
Somewhere some strategist is weighing the pros and cons of having their candidate say the word friend of the family

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
some one lay out the gameplan for trump losing his lead

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

stoutfish posted:

some one lay out the gameplan for trump losing his lead

multiple candidates withdraw and coalesce behind marco rubio who tries his best to weather trump's assault

fiorina and carson's support go back to establishment candidates when they inevitably withdraw instead of to donald trump

other than something happening that we essentially can't predict (someone makes an enormous gaffe on camera and can't get the media to move past it, for instance) that's pretty much it

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Brannock posted:

multiple candidates withdraw and coalesce behind marco rubio who tries his best to weather trump's assault

fiorina and carson's support go back to establishment candidates when they inevitably withdraw instead of to donald trump

This. He needs the field to stay broad and fractured

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Sheng-ji Yang posted:

Let's also say that Michael Bloomberg's impending independent run goes in here too, cause why not.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Montasque posted:

Thank you!

If this doesn't blow up in his face he'll look really smart. Since we have this feeling of inevitability for Rubio maybe he does too and if he can get the establishment momentum to limp across the finish line without the base it'll help him in the general and maybe be the start of the party finally cutting off its gangrene leg. There's a reason why no one has or is trying this though.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"
You guys understand that Trump has some of the highest "second choice" numbers, right?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Abner Cadaver II posted:

yes please, i'm really tired of gun control and nuclear power getting in the way of watching republican campaigns implode

drat and I just finished my long reply.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Note that Rubio's interview was in April. Doesn't mean that Trump can't make an issue out of it though.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Day 3 of a split convention, and Reince Priebus calls the one man that he knows can save the party and stop Trump for good.

:mitt:

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

drat and I just finished my long reply.

post it somewhere because I want to read it.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Joementum posted:

Yup. February 1, probably.

I know that this is about endorsements, but it's pretty clear the Republican base doesn't want any of the pre-ordained candidates. Eventually, the GOP hating Trump and the will of the electorate are going to have to go head-to-head, and if Trump isn't seriously hobbled by then it's just not going to work. Trump was supposed to be an easy out, Fox News was going to torpedo the poo poo out of him in the first debate, reveal he's a loudmouth idiot, and that would be the end of it. Except it didn't. Nothing they've tried to force him out of the race has worked. The idea that they have some super plan to stump the trump makes me kind of skeptical. The only one in the entire republican party that can bring Trump down at this point is Trump. It will probably remain this way for the rest of the race. Using obscure rules to gently caress him over could actually put the base in open revolt depending on how Trump handles it. Trump could threaten to burn the whole loving GOP down if they try to gently caress him.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
skip this if you don't wanna see nuke sperg, I took it to PMs with

I'm still going over this right now since I haven't looked into this plant at all.

It is going to take me awhile to get all the information but as of right now the issue the dailykos has is they got this quote "The current total revenue requirement for the Project is approximately $65 billion." and felt like that was a big deal.

Planning on the two new reactors started in 2006. Construction started in 2013. The reactors should be able to run about 60 years. They were planned to come on line initially in 2019-2020. So we are talking the total revenue requirement for the entire project for about 78 years is $65 billion. This doesn't include decon or waste disposal.

Each reactor has a max capacity of 1117 MW, so lets start with 2234 MW total. If we use 60 years, we get 6.150810143 cents per killowatt hour.

The math should be as follows

2 plants at 1117 kW rating run for 60 years produce about 1,056,771.36 GWh

If you take the total life time cost of the plant, $65,000,000,000.00, or 6,500,000,000,000 cents, you will get the final cost.

I don't actually have information on if the total revenue requirement includes the 18 years of planning. If they did that cost would go down.

The reason for the costs going up are complex, but it is a lack of trained labor, materials, and inspections. Materials is the biggest thing as resources are not as plentiful as predicted. Most of our companies who made this in the US shut down, like 600 to 80, and this means more has to come from foreign companies. These companies, due to strict regulations, require more inspections. If that projection did not increase, then imagine that number being way smaller.

The waste issue isn't too big of a deal, if you want I can go over the chart of nuclides and how modern reactors have pretty neat waste.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Sinestro posted:

On the issue of having there be life in the oceans still when I'm in my 50s, yeah, I am a single issue voter.

With reprocessing and more modern reactor designs (Not even MSRs), you can reduce current waste generation by a factor of 27. We even know where to put it, it's just unscientific idiots and NIMBY fuckheads that are stopping it with proposals about how to stop people from getting hurt if they wander into middle of loving nowhere after the end of civilization and there's no way for them to understand the written warnings and stuff.

:agreed:

Still supporting Bernie, though. He'll listen to science and engineering types when they make the case that fission is the best alternative to fossil fuels. Get out there and keep fighting the good fight against the NIMBYs and the Hippies.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I know that this is about endorsements, but it's pretty clear the Republican base doesn't want any of the pre-ordained candidates. Eventually, the GOP hating Trump and the will of the electorate are going to have to go head-to-head

This assumes that the will of the Republican electorate is to vote for Trump. For ~70% of them, that's currently not true.

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler

RZApublican posted:

Day 3 of a split convention, and Reince Priebus calls the one man that he knows can save the party and stop Trump for good.

:mitt:

They could also call on another former Republican Governor from New England, one that doesn't have a metric ton of baggage. This man is Lincoln Chafee.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

skip this if you don't wanna see nuke sperg, I took it to PMs with

I'm still going over this right now since I haven't looked into this plant at all.

It is going to take me awhile to get all the information but as of right now the issue the dailykos has is they got this quote "The current total revenue requirement for the Project is approximately $65 billion." and felt like that was a big deal.

Planning on the two new reactors started in 2006. Construction started in 2013. The reactors should be able to run about 60 years. They were planned to come on line initially in 2019-2020. So we are talking the total revenue requirement for the entire project for about 78 years is $65 billion. This doesn't include decon or waste disposal.

Each reactor has a max capacity of 1117 MW, so lets start with 2234 MW total. If we use 60 years, we get 6.150810143 cents per killowatt hour.

The math should be as follows

2 plants at 1117 kW rating run for 60 years produce about 1,056,771.36 GWh

If you take the total life time cost of the plant, $65,000,000,000.00, or 6,500,000,000,000 cents, you will get the final cost.

I don't actually have information on if the total revenue requirement includes the 18 years of planning. If they did that cost would go down.

The reason for the costs going up are complex, but it is a lack of trained labor, materials, and inspections. Materials is the biggest thing as resources are not as plentiful as predicted. Most of our companies who made this in the US shut down, like 600 to 80, and this means more has to come from foreign companies. These companies, due to strict regulations, require more inspections. If that projection did not increase, then imagine that number being way smaller.

The waste issue isn't too big of a deal, if you want I can go over the chart of nuclides and how modern reactors have pretty neat waste.

this guy posted this on request and should not be probated IMO.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Joementum posted:

This assumes that the will of the Republican electorate is to vote for Trump. For ~70% of them, that's currently not true.

I can't remember the last time I saw someone other than Trump winning a republican poll, and I think assuming that every vote not for Trump right this second is going to end up for the establishment candidate is a little wishful thinking. Everyone's going to say these early polls don't matter, then what happens in November, December, and January when all of these idiots are still losing to him?

Everybody in here knows what the best Republican strategy would be - get the small candidates out, get behind the big candidates, and focus on messaging to actually put up a united front against Trump and force him out. But the infighting in the GOP is just too fierce. They could knock him out if they had any control over their party anymore, but the whole election is actually run by mega-donors and Fox News.

EDIT: The longer the republicans allow this clown car field of candidates the better Trump will do. Waiting until the first primary to get the weaker candidates out might be too late.

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Sep 26, 2015

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I can't remember the last time I saw someone other than Trump winning a republican poll, and I think assuming that every vote not for Trump right this second is going to end up for the establishment candidate is a little wishful thinking. Everyone's going to say these early polls don't matter, then what happens in November, December, and January when all of these idiots are still losing to him?

Assuming he even lasts that long, the same thing that happened in 2012 when Ron Paul was leading a week before Iowa.

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

I can't remember the last time I saw someone other than Trump winning a republican poll

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Edit: Dem chat moved

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Sep 26, 2015

Abner Cadaver II
Apr 21, 2009

TONIGHT!

Smoothrich posted:

Lol. Until the world discovers he's a Brooklyn Jew and immediately start burning effigies of him draped in Israeli flags. FEEL THE BURN. Europe would probably do this before the Middle East

you live in a very frightening fantasy world

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
racists often believe that the majority of people share their views

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

uh, we may be the losers

Smoothrich posted:

Until the world discovers he's a Brooklyn Jew

Yeah, don't know how much longer he'll be able to keep that under wraps.

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

Joementum posted:

Assuming he even lasts that long, the same thing that happened in 2012 when Ron Paul was leading a week before Iowa.

Something tells me that Donald Trumps campaign and Ron Paul's campaign are two wildly different beasts.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
everyone is pretending ron paul had a bigger lead than he actually did

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

stoutfish posted:

everyone is pretending ron paul had a bigger lead than he actually did

I like that they made his line gold

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Something tells me that Donald Trumps campaign and Ron Paul's campaign are two wildly different beasts.

Reminder that Michelle Bachmann's campaign was significantly more successful than Scott Walker's

• Locked thread