Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

PirateBob posted:

"Only ever fire AP" is too absolute. Switching to HE against DDs can save you sometimes. A salvo of HE can one-shot a DD, while a salvo of AP will usually leave them alive.

The only reason I didn't mention it is that it takes to long to switch to HE. Now if you know you're going to hit some DDs then by all means switch out to HE, because a full folly of HE will definitely ruin a DDs day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PirateBob
Jun 14, 2003
A full folly? :newlol:

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

PirateBob posted:

"Only ever fire AP" is too absolute. Switching to HE against DDs can save you sometimes. A salvo of HE can one-shot a DD, while a salvo of AP will usually leave them alive.

Nah, keep AP loaded unless you're absolutely positively 100% sure you have enough time to load the HE, spot the DD, and fire at him before another target you could blow away with AP shows up. AP will still gently caress up a DDs day if you manage to land your shots. If you cant land your shots on a DD with AP you're not really going to be doing a whole lot with HE either.

I almost never load HE while I'm playing battleships. The most likely thing thats going to happen is you spot a DD, switch to HE, by the time you load HE he's going to disappear and a cruiser or battleship will show up and now you're stuck with HE loaded so you're going to have to either wait for the DD to be spotted again or fire you're ineffective HE salvo at the new targets and reload AP and be back where you started.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
Aslain's modpack updated, grabbed it, its got an updated tech tree option now. Toss that in with the rest of the mods I use, this thing showed up:

Premium Tier 10 USA Cruiser with torpedo tubes and 4 turrets of 203mm with a 15 second base reload time. Huh.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

MREBoy posted:

Aslain's modpack updated, grabbed it, its got an updated tech tree option now. Toss that in with the rest of the mods I use, this thing showed up:

Premium Tier 10 USA Cruiser with torpedo tubes and 4 turrets of 203mm with a 15 second base reload time. Huh.

Oh my god can you imagine the rage if they actually put a tier 10 premium in the shop?

Though the more likely explanation is it's going to be some kind of event reward, or even a ranked battles "trophy" of sorts.

Or it's a total sham.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

I thought the Buffalo was going to replace the Des Moines.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I heard a rumor that the "premium" tag was a copy-paste thing while making it and it's actually going to be a line split from the Baltimore (IE you can get this instead of or in addition to the Des Moines).

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

wdarkk posted:

I heard a rumor that the "premium" tag was a copy-paste thing while making it and it's actually going to be a line split from the Baltimore (IE you can get this instead of or in addition to the Des Moines).

This sounds more likely.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
I don't have that mod but if you check the German tree I think you'll see Bismarck and the cruiser tree tier 1 and 2 as premiums.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Which USS Buffalo is that supposed to be exactly? It should be called Fargo to be a tree ship

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 26, 2015

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
Is it a paper design? A quick Google-ing shows that the USS Buffalo was a planned Fargo class cruiser. Essentially an upgraded Cleveland, armed with the same 152mm guns, not the 203s the screenshots show.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
The always load AP rule for BBs, is that a rule across all tiers? Because I just recently gotten my first Tier 4 BB (Myogi) but on my tier 3 (Kawachi) it seems like I run into a lot of stuff that reacts to HE shells a lot more violent than to my AP shells. Is it a low-tier exception or am I just bad at video-boats and have to learn to actually hit the citadel to take full adventage of the AP shells?

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Stanley Pain posted:

The best advice for driving a BB is to not drive in straight lines all the time so you don't eat said torpedoes. Change direction and speed fairly often, if you see torpedo bombers coming for you try to turn into them. Only ever fire AP.

I'll disagree with your last point, but the rest is pretty spot on. I always keep my first HE shot sp that I can blast the first DD I see. The idea is to plan ahead who you will be shooting next and switch accordingly. If find that HE worst great against DD, CV and CA. AP worst great against CA and BB. If y

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Feindfeuer posted:

The always load AP rule for BBs, is that a rule across all tiers? Because I just recently gotten my first Tier 4 BB (Myogi) but on my tier 3 (Kawachi) it seems like I run into a lot of stuff that reacts to HE shells a lot more violent than to my AP shells. Is it a low-tier exception or am I just bad at video-boats and have to learn to actually hit the citadel to take full adventage of the AP shells?

It's probably a combination of not hitting the citadel and/or the shell overpenning, though low tiers are a bit weird because it's a lot of small lightly armored/unarmored stuff and then the steel juggernaut that is the St. Louis.

Generally speaking AP is going to prove more consistent than HE.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

A Renaissance Nerd posted:

Is it a paper design? A quick Google-ing shows that the USS Buffalo was a planned Fargo class cruiser. Essentially an upgraded Cleveland, armed with the same 152mm guns, not the 203s the screenshots show.

Yeah it's some design study.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Buffalo is a paper ship.

Feindfeuer posted:

Myogi has 14" guns and kind of low penetration, so you can get away with shooting HE at the better armored battleships. AP will usually do more damage even without citadel penetrations, but HE is an option. Kongo has better penetration with the hull upgrade, so it's not really an issue there.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Astroniomix posted:

It's probably a combination of not hitting the citadel and/or the shell overpenning, though low tiers are a bit weird because it's a lot of small lightly armored/unarmored stuff and then the steel juggernaut that is the St. Louis.

Generally speaking AP is going to prove more consistent than HE.

I'll try to just get better than. Thanks.

e:

James Garfield posted:

Myogi has 14" guns and kind of low penetration, so you can get away with shooting HE at the better armored battleships. AP will usually do more damage even without citadel penetrations, but HE is an option. Kongo has better penetration with the hull upgrade, so it's not really an issue there.

I guess just getting good with AP is the way to go, no matter what. Grinding skill is the worst grind. :smith:

Feindfeuer fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 26, 2015

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

I'll disagree with your last point, but the rest is pretty spot on. I always keep my first HE shot sp that I can blast the first DD I see. The idea is to plan ahead who you will be shooting next and switch accordingly. If find that HE worst great against DD, CV and CA. AP worst great against CA and BB. If y

We're talking about someone who's new to playing BBs though. Always fire AP. Because if the first thing you run into isn't a DD, you're going to eat a lot of poo poo for the next 30 seconds switching out to AP. Realistically 90% of the time you'll be firing AP, the other 10% will be up to each person to learn when and where.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Stanley Pain posted:

We're talking about someone who's new to playing BBs though. Always fire AP. Because if the first thing you run into isn't a DD, you're going to eat a lot of poo poo for the next 30 seconds switching out to AP. Realistically 90% of the time you'll be firing AP, the other 10% will be up to each person to learn when and where.

Makes sense.

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Bad Engrish ahoy ! 0.5.01 patchnotes: http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news/announcements/ver-0501-patchnotes/

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

xthetenth posted:

Light cruisers turning their side to your battleship will never stop being the best thing.

I had three devastating strikes on three CL's yesterday in my Wyoming. Each one came around an island showing me their full broadsides. Three salvos, three dead cruisers. It was glorious.

UV_Catastrophe
Dec 29, 2008

Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are,

"It might have been."
Pillbug
http://worldofwarships.asia/en/news...501-patchnotes/

quote:

The values of thickness of hull planking have been corrected. Now it is not thicker than bills planking. When we were setting the armour for the bills, in some cases we didn't realize that the center of the hull can be really "true", and on high tiers in some cases arnouor in the ceter of the hull was smaller than on the bills. This is now fixed.

:confused:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Major takeaways:

quote:

3 ships were added to the premium ship collection: Polish destroyer Bliskavica - Tier 6; Russian/USSR battleship Nikolay I - Tier 4; Japanese cruiser Tone - Tier 7.
Potentially 3 new premiums, including a Polish DD? That's certainly interesting. I'd love to see stats on them.

quote:

Increased by 50% the number of HP points for the 4 and 5 inches main battery guns.
I presume this is to cut down on the number of times DD guns get instasmashed by HE. We'll see how much this actually helps.

quote:

Battleship South Carolina: Increased the number of HP points of top hull from 29000 to 31700.
Battleship Colorado battleship: Increased fire rate (to 2 times per minute, i.e. cooldown time 30 sec instead of 35) and turrets rotation speed to 4 radians per second (used to be 3).
Buffs to the SC and the Colorado, perfectly welcome.

quote:

Added the Domination mode with two control points to all the maps, except the "Hotspot".
Changed script settings of the "Domination" mode with two points. The reward for capture of enemy’s control point is 1000 points. The time of control point capture is 180 seconds.
Sweet. The 2 cap dom maps now end if one team caps the other team's domination point. So its basically a standard battle, except there's virtually no chance of it drawing out (and can end early via points if one team is crushing the other).

quote:

Changed the probability of getting some of the maps.
Here's hoping that it changed the probability of seeing Ocean to 0%.

quote:

If the fighter planes began to carry out the "fire storm" mission, other fighters will not be able to engage them into battle until the end of the mission.
This one is questionable. I thought fighters engaging ones trying to do their AoE attack cancelling it was counterplay, but I guess it isn't. Oh well.

quote:

Quick Messages are available during battle.
This is cool, I guess. I suspect people might spam it though, especially if they're by themselves and start getting owned. Can't wait to see dumb BBs or CVs spam SOS when a DD shows up and they're halfway across the map from friendlies.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Polish destroyer had a news post too:
http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/common/blyskawica-announcement/

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

Yeah this is what happens when you get a horrid RU to EN translation. Planking probably means armor and bills probably means edge/end or extremity. I'm gonna guess its something about armor on some ships being less than what it should be in certain spots, possibly on the deck or bow/stern areas.

CARRIER PROTIP: Being an immobile parking lot can lead to nasty consequences:

Effectively nobody on the enemy team went east side, enemy carrier got spotted barely 2 minutes in. He had one dive bomber squad out and that was apparently it. I don't know if that's where he spawned, but he never moved an inch as my planes came in. 4k damage from a divebomber run and then WHAMMO 5 perfectly synchronized torpedoes to the gut :sureboat:. Instant points flip, bye bye enemy air support and a 0 XP game for this person ! :byewhore: Thank you Duros, wdarkk and FOG Echochamber for an excellent run tonight, I got 25k XP knocked out pretty easy and my carrier captain now has Aircraft Servicing Expert. :tipshat:

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

4 radians per second traverse on the Colorado? :monocle:

Puts the sims to shame :v:

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

quote:

There was live meeting in Vladivostok yesterday with some of the devs. Some interesting information that came from this meeting:

- they seriously work on weather
- IJN CVs will probably get their reversed spread in 0.5.1
- they know about the aim mods and really work on breaking them. CBT showed such thing is very bad for the game
- account unification (gold, free exp) won't come in 2015
- Saipan (tier 6) will be the first premium CV, they just don't want many of the noobs to buy it as it will be bad for the gameplay (to have bad CV in the team as that's not small disadvantage)
- Mikasa turned out to be so bad that it won't be sold on RU at all
From Sharana, a very helpful supertester on the official forums. Good to hear they're close to the reverse spread on TBs (this should alleviate a LOT of the problems with CVs), and work on breaking the new aim mod.

Premium CV :ohdear:
at least its not the Enterprise, can you imagine how bad the influx of terrible CVs would be when that comes out?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

quote:

So they're leaving it open that it might occur later? Not like it affects me, I don't play tanks.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Hazdoc posted:

From Sharana, a very helpful supertester on the official forums. Good to hear they're close to the reverse spread on TBs (this should alleviate a LOT of the problems with CVs), and work on breaking the new aim mod.

at least its not the Enterprise, can you imagine how bad the influx of terrible CVs would be when that comes out?

I'm not sure I know what they mean by reserved spread. Someone clarify it for my stupid self.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

DurosKlav posted:

I'm not sure I know what they mean by reserved spread. Someone clarify it for my stupid self.

"Reverse" spread. A normal spread is what we have now, where torpedoes angle away from each other and fan out gradually. A reverse spread would be the torpedoes all angled slightly towards each other, and they all converge towards one point (then pass that point and fan out again, as normal).

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

Hazdoc posted:

"Reverse" spread. A normal spread is what we have now, where torpedoes angle away from each other and fan out gradually. A reverse spread would be the torpedoes all angled slightly towards each other, and they all converge towards one point (then pass that point and fan out again, as normal).

Makes sense, I figured as much but wasnt entirely certain.

jownzy
Apr 20, 2012

I love Rainbow Moon.

It is the deepest game ever. Nothing compares to its epic story.
Ready to buy stuff for my Benson.

Is the -10% detection Concealment upgrade completely useless thanks to the +20% Target Acquisition upgrade other ships will likely equip... if they have an extra 2 million creds?

Seems kind of crappy to have you expecting your detection to be at X range, but actually it's X -20% for some ships, SURPRISE!

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

I might be wrong but isn't that just +20% to max draw distance and not 'spotting' range?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

TehKeen posted:

I might be wrong but isn't that just +20% to max draw distance and not 'spotting' range?

Correct. It's basically useless, unless you happen to be one of two boats that can actually deal damage to people outside their view range, the Kagero and Shimakaze. But you shouldn't be taking 17km torp shots.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

So I am going up the jap cruiser line and I swear every time I am hit my Rudder gets knocked out. Do US cruiser have poo poo rudders to or is this some special gently caress you to naps?

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Well, this was a VERY nice battle.

140k game in my Myoko (actually a 152k game, as one of the torpedoes in that same spread hit a friendly BB too for 12k :devil:), and literally stopped the enemy team from winning at the very last possible moment by killing that Murmansk with their score at 998. Match ended with the final enemy Fuso at 4400 and bleeding to death from two torpedoes, as well as being in knife fight range with our two surviving battleships.

Also, somehow got a citadel on one of the Coloradoes before I switched over to HE. I THINK it went into a magazine, and just didn't cause a detonation, rather than somehow penetrating the belt, but I wasn't paying too much attention.

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 27, 2015

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

Hazdoc posted:

I'd probably buy it. I haven't bought a premium ship yet, so if they come out with a Enterprise premium, there's only one thing I can do. :homebrew:

Aesis
Oct 9, 2012
Filthy J4G
They should loving make edge grinding assholes explode after 10 seconds ffs, it's just bullshit.

e: Last remaining Essex grinding map edge with 2 minutes left to avoid hits and force a draw. Still killed that fucker but it was annoying :argh:

Aesis fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Sep 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

quote:

Japanese cruiser Tone - Tier 7.
Because what this game really need is another Myoko, Aoba, Mogami, Ibuki variant.

Still I wonder how they will handle the planes.