Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

Nope, sorry, there's actually multiple ways of looking at movies :)
If you don't think honest to god real life filmmakers don't look at movies that way (their own or otherwise), then you're awfully naive. Recognizing what makes a scene effective is important, and so is recognizing what a scene lacks. It's kind of a cornerstone of critical thinking about movies, and recognizing what makes a movie "good" or "effective". Here's a super cool youtube channel about it, for those interested in that sort of stuff. A google search like "what makes a good movie scene" brings up a couple thousand results, too.

And yes it is deconstruction, even if it's not the kind you like.

In short:

a) You don't know what makes a scene effective.

b) That's not what deconstruction is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Writing your own "what if..." Because you can't accept the story being presented to you is the exact opposite of deconstructing the narrative being presented to you. It's ignoring it and positing your own fan fiction as fact, or in this case "canon" as fact goes out the window when dealing with a fictional story.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Xenomrph posted:

Nope, sorry, there's actually multiple ways of looking at movies :)
If you don't think honest to god real life filmmakers don't look at movies that way (their own or otherwise), then you're awfully naive. Recognizing what makes a scene effective is important, and so is recognizing what a scene lacks. It's kind of a cornerstone of critical thinking about movies, and recognizing what makes a movie "good" or "effective". Here's a super cool youtube channel about it, for those interested in that sort of stuff. A google search like "what makes a good movie scene" brings up a couple thousand results, too.

All this is true. Unfortunately you aren't intellectually equipped to do any of it.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
My deconstruction of Apocalypse Now is that they should not go into the jungle, and we should re-edit the film so that the jungle doesn't look as bad.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Eh I dunno containment kind of sounded okay at the time.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Well I mean, for example, the scene where the soldiers go surfing in the warzone. It would be more effective if they had a reason to be surfing, like it is part of their mission objectives. Maybe they are trying to reach the enemy base covertly, and they can't use outboard motors: "why not use surfboards!"

It's still a bit silly, but i think this would fix a lot of the character inconsistencies.

Either that or they could explain that this part of Vietnam is very safe, so surfing is okay.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I still hold true to the theory that Harrison Ford's character is a distant relative to both Deckard and Han Solo, I wrote read a really good write-up on aol years ago that completely makes sense and actually adds a new layer to the dialogue during the briefing with Martin Sheen's character, who's also a distant relative to another sci-fi character but I don't want to spoil too much of the theory. Just go read it for yourself, it'll make the movie more enjoyable and explains and understands the movie better than the director did. :angel:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

ruddiger posted:

Writing your own "what if..." Because you can't accept the story being presented to you is the exact opposite of deconstructing the narrative being presented to you. It's ignoring it and positing your own fan fiction as fact, or in this case "canon" as fact goes out the window when dealing with a fictional story.
If you're seeing it as just a "what if", as opposed to, say, thinking critically about what makes a scene effective or good, then you're missing the point by a pretty wide margin, sorry. :)

Yaws posted:

All this is true. Unfortunately you aren't intellectually equipped to do any of it.
Oh hey it's another personal attack that adds nothing to the discussion. Good job! :waycool:
But thanks for agreeing with me all the same, I appreciate it. :)

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Well I mean, for example, the scene where the soldiers go surfing in the warzone. It would be more effective if they had a reason to be surfing, like it is part of their mission objectives. Maybe they are trying to reach the enemy base covertly, and they can't use outboard motors: "why not use surfboards!"

It's still a bit silly, but i think this would fix a lot of the character inconsistencies.

Either that or they could explain that this part of Vietnam is very safe, so surfing is okay.
I really wish you'd recognize that there's more ways of looking at/enjoying movies than your own, because you write a lot about them and sometimes you even write interesting and insightful things about them and it's disheartening when you're so dismissive. :sigh:

What are your thoughts on director's cuts, or "fan edits" (The Phantom Edit, the Hobbit trilogy edited down to one movie, etc)?

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xenomrph posted:

What are your thoughts on director's cuts, or "fan edits" (The Phantom Edit, the Hobbit trilogy edited down to one movie, etc)?

Fan edits frequently miss the point. It's funny when they end up reinforcing the complaints people had about the films, though.

Like a frequent complaint about Phantom Menace is that it's full of racial stereotypes, the Neimodians being an example of Asian stereotypes. I forget if it's Phantom Edit or another one, but their solution to this problem is to dub them in an alien language and add subtitles.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Xenomrph posted:

I really wish you'd recognize that there's more ways of looking at/enjoying movies than your own, because you write a lot about them and sometimes you even write interesting and insightful things about them and it's disheartening when you're so dismissive. :sigh:

"Dismissive" implies that I've rejected your 'way of looking' without first evaluating it.

The reality is that I've read what you've written, carefully, and found it to be bad.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
I'd argue that Prometheus has the one most realistic depiction of a bunch of poo poo tier PhDs in all of movie history. People who complain about their behaviour haven't spend enough time in academia.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
Isn't one of the major ideas behind Alien and Prometheus to take the genre conventions, and cliche's of old sci fi and horror B Movies and present them in different ways? I feel like that right there should explain some of the sillier stuff of the films. It's not like these movies don't realize when they are being funny. Prometheus is actually really funny,

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

"Dismissive" implies that I've rejected your 'way of looking' without first evaluating it.

The reality is that I've read what you've written, carefully, and found it to be bad.
Fair enough, that's a good point. I'm pretty okay with agreeing to disagree. :)

computer parts posted:

Fan edits frequently miss the point. It's funny when they end up reinforcing the complaints people had about the films, though.

Like a frequent complaint about Phantom Menace is that it's full of racial stereotypes, the Neimodians being an example of Asian stereotypes. I forget if it's Phantom Edit or another one, but their solution to this problem is to dub them in an alien language and add subtitles.
I more of meant fan edits as a concept; I personally think editing is really interesting and important, and it's a powerful filmmaking tool. Like this thread's initial premise is based around how editing can make a break a movie, and recognizing when scenes work or don't work: 'Alien 3', and its myriad alternate/extended scenes, which change a lot of the narrative's execution (mostly for the better, in my opinion) without really altering the movie's themes or message. Likewise with, say, the 'Alien' "director's cut", which is actually *shorter* than the theatrical cut, as it truncates some scenes (for better or for worse).
Hell, Ridley Scott has had plenty of his movies get screwed with in the editing room - Blade Runner, Kingdom of Heaven. Even Prometheus, there have been plenty of instances where people said "yeah, this deleted scene would have made this characters' actions make more sense", or "this alternate take is scarier/more interesting/more visually compelling".

Off topic but regarding your specific Phantom Menace example, could you clarify what you mean?, Wouldn't dubbing them in a nonsense language address the alleged racial stereotyping, though? Or are you saying that them "fixing" the Asian stereotype misses the point, and that the Asian stereotype is important and should be in the movie?

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

I'd argue that Prometheus has the one most realistic depiction of a bunch of poo poo tier PhDs in all of movie history. People who complain about their behaviour haven't spend enough time in academia.
This is an interesting idea, could you elaborate on it? I don't spend a lot of time with poo poo tier PhDs, so the idea that the characters are literally intended to be "unrealistic" (to the layman) inept assholes is interesting.

The_Rob posted:

Isn't one of the major ideas behind Alien and Prometheus to take the genre conventions, and cliche's of old sci fi and horror B Movies and present them in different ways? I feel like that right there should explain some of the sillier stuff of the films. It's not like these movies don't realize when they are being funny. Prometheus is actually really funny,
I never really found 'Alien' funny, but yeah a big part of 'Alien' was taking genre conventions and turning them on their head, for shock value. The male hero/lead character (Dallas) goes out to confront the Alien, ends up getting murdered. The Alien establishes a pattern of picking off lone characters, so when Ripley gets separated from the group, the Alien takes out the other two and leaves her the last character standing.

I didn't really get that vibe with Prometheus, though, aside from perhaps the juxtaposition of 1950s "clean" sci-fi aesthetics (the designs of the space suits, the ship, even smaller things like David's hair) with the gritty and unsettling "reality" of 'Alien'. I vaguely remember seeing someone say in the old Prometheus thread that the movie is a 1950s "optimistic" sci-fi movie where things go horribly, disastrously wrong.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Sep 26, 2015

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Haha.

This desire for professionals and especially agencies/corporations to operate at maximum ruthless efficiency at all times is pretty interesting. Is it because, like, God's dead and the President's incompetent or impotent but at least the Army/Google know what they're doing?

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Xenomrph posted:

This is an interesting idea, could you elaborate on it? I don't spend a lot of time with poo poo tier PhDs, so the idea that the characters are literally intended to be "unrealistic" (to the layman) inept assholes is interesting.

You don't need to be smart or capable to get into grad school in the first place. If your undergrad grades are not abysmal and you're willing to travel, you can always find a prof somewhere at the University of Bumfuck who is willing to take you in as cheap labour. That's why many people who can't find a job after college go to grad school, cause it's easy. Once you're in grad school, it is very hard to actually get kicked out. You can concievably sit on your rear end for 5+ years until your prof is sick of you and gives you your drat PhD. Since you learned nothing, you won't be able to hold a job in industry and might be doing endless, fruitless post-doc work with no chance of a tenure track position.

Now some Weyland-Yutani HR person posts a job offer for a PhD holder in the natural sciences for a multi-year expedition to some god-forsaken planet. Who is going to apply for that? Not someone with a lucrative industry job who is finally able to settle down and have a family. Not a tenure-track scientist who needs to stay at the cutting edge of research in order to actually make it. It's the perfect job for those who slipped through the cracks of the academic system, another unfireable, multi-year position with no pressure to succeed. Charlize Theron might not be qualified or even interested in judging the merits of those people. Hell, they have a PhD, there's minimum standards that come with that! There's not, in many cases.

I can see how the geologists would not be able to read a map. I have seen it.
Hell, I'm a biologist and I've been bitten in the finger by a clearly agitated baby crocodile.

Prometheus is 100% tactically realistic.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Once you're in grad school, it is very hard to actually get kicked out. You can concievably sit on your rear end for 5+ years until your prof is sick of you and gives you your drat PhD.

Hahahhaa

As someone who's in grad school I can 100% say this is complete bullshit.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
The purpose of editing is not to add or remove scenes, but to construct scenes.

By cutting out the jokes and characterization from the psychological comedy sequence, in your proposed fan-edit, you now have a scene that no longer has a reason to exist. And, consequently, the characters have no reason to exist.

That makes you a bad editor.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Chairman Capone posted:

Hahahhaa

As someone who's in grad school I can 100% say this is complete bullshit.

As someone who's in grad school I can unfortunately 100% confirm my story :(

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

The purpose of editing is not to add or remove scenes, but to construct scenes.

By cutting out the jokes and characterization from the psychological comedy sequence, in your proposed fan-edit, you now have a scene that no longer has a reason to exist. And, consequently, the characters have no reason to exist.

That makes you a bad editor.
I didn't say editing is only about adding and removing scenes. Also I didn't say any of that other stuff in my earlier posts, and otherwise I agree with what you're saying. :)

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

You don't need to be smart or capable to get into grad school in the first place. If your undergrad grades are not abysmal and you're willing to travel, you can always find a prof somewhere at the University of Bumfuck who is willing to take you in as cheap labour. That's why many people who can't find a job after college go to grad school, cause it's easy. Once you're in grad school, it is very hard to actually get kicked out. You can concievably sit on your rear end for 5+ years until your prof is sick of you and gives you your drat PhD. Since you learned nothing, you won't be able to hold a job in industry and might be doing endless, fruitless post-doc work with no chance of a tenure track position.
I was in grad school for a year on a tuition waiver, but I ended up having to abandon it due to medical reasons. Once that was resolved, I really wasn't able to continue grad school due to financial reasons (and the economy was now in the toilet); I've since actually completely changed careers, but I'm looking at going back to grad school and it's looking like my new job might even subsidize the cost.

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Now some Weyland-Yutani HR person posts a job offer for a PhD holder in the natural sciences for a multi-year expedition to some god-forsaken planet. Who is going to apply for that? Not someone with a lucrative industry job who is finally able to settle down and have a family. Not a tenure-track scientist who needs to stay at the cutting edge of research in order to actually make it. It's the perfect job for those who slipped through the cracks of the academic system, another unfireable, multi-year position with no pressure to succeed. Charlize Theron might not be qualified or even interested in judging the merits of those people. Hell, they have a PhD, there's minimum standards that come with that! There's not, in many cases.

I can see how the geologists would not be able to read a map. I have seen it.
Hell, I'm a biologist and I've been bitten in the finger by a clearly agitated baby crocodile.

Prometheus is 100% tactically realistic.
This is an interesting way to look at it, thanks. :)
So I guess the "problem" is less about it actually being realistic, but more about the audience's suspension of disbelief.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 27, 2015

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I was reminded by this thread that I had the Alien Quadrilogy lying around so I watched the Assembly cut last night and it was excellent and I enjoyed it immensely. I reckon it could do with around ten more minutes here and there established various characters, including the space, and it would be untouchable. So very sorry* to disrupt the Prometheus chat.

*I am not sorry in the slightest way.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

Just going to jump in with both feet here to say Prometheus was not just a disappointing addition to the Alien canon, it was also an objectively terrible movie. Had I watched it without prior knowledge of Alien I'd probably have switched off halfway through, instead of deciding to give it a chance and watch it to completion.

So the characters... I can't remember a single one of their names. There's the thick one, the biologist, that infamously decides to piss around with some alien seasnake creature and quite deservedly gets his arm broken and his poo poo subsequently pushed in. There's the other guy, the geologist(?) who becomes some kind of zombie. There's Noomi Rapeface, who spouts a load of creationist bollocks (a recurring theme throughout the movie that rankles me) about ancient astronauts (another theme of the movie that drives me up the wall) and gets herself pregnant from (I think) an exploding alien head or some poo poo. Then she gives herself a C-section and a bad knockoff of the esteemed xenomorph emerges to wreck poo poo for awhile and be quite unscary and forgetable even to characters in the film. Her boyfriend for some reason just starts being an arsehole to everyone (which isn't much of a departure, none of the crew are likeable or memorable) and Stringer Bell sits around in the cockpit with his thumb up his arse for most of the movie.

There's Lance Hendriksen, who's kept on ice by Magneto, presumably a callback to the real life cryogenic chamber he's kept in between AvP films and 80s nostalgia vehicles. As the driving force behind the movie's plot, he's looking long and hard at his mortality and the crumbling ruin of his career and going "I wonder if Gearbox needs a VA for Colonial Marines?" Magneto, on the other hand, is getting down to some classic Blade Runner "I'm a real boy" bum-gazing. The (other) blonde one does.... something with an aloof and icy demeanour, but it can't have been very important because I'm drawing a complete blank.

The plot. We've got a strong opening. Bunch of douchebags that can just about muster a single, coherent personality between them and who are suffering from a bad case of the Wrong Stuff departs for a farflung planet on the strength of a starmap hidden in some cave or other to find their maker, some ancient precursors from beyond the stars. It's all very momentous and important and flash-frozen Lance Hendriksen thinks this'll immortalise him in some vague and ill-defined way. They reach the planet and find some giant barrow or other full of enigmatic hieroglyphs and dry ice machines. Ridley Scott obviously decides that it just won't do to rip off Planet of the Vampires (watch that movie instead. It's like a better version of Prometheus, in that it's a worthy precursor to Alien) only once in his career and brings back the space jockeys on this dead planet with it's sepulchers and tombs and ruins and derelicts. Except now they're all sleek and anthropomorphic and dull as gently caress. Because they made us in their image or something equally trite. They're a race of giant, palsied albinos. Even Star Trek managed to make its aliens more distinct and interesting to look at, by way of rubber foreheads and fake ears.

And now it turns into a scattershot exercise in ticking all possible boxes. We've got the seasnake critter re-enacting a crap version of the egg scene from Alien. We've got the prototypical xenomorph (that looks more like some land-going shark critter from a bad 50s B horror movie) re-enacting the chestburster scene. We've got space zombies, because... why not? Yes, but why yes? We've got Magneto trying his best to channel Ian Holm as the sinister agent of his corporate overlord, Lance Hendriksen. It honestly has escaped me what happens beyond these beats. Not a single scene in this altogether forgettable movie (save for dumb-arse breaking his arm playing with the seasnake in the pond of fog, which is memorable only by virtue of how incredibly stupid it is) has stuck with me and while I might be chided for not paying close enough attention I'm of the opinion that the movie should have got and kept my attention by being halfway interesting.

The effects and set design, while functional and all, really weren't very evocative. It was the now-standard big budget sci-fi feast of sleek, sterile and characterless iPod upholstery. In this age of ubiquitous CGI, you have to show a bit of imagination to really impress with that kind of spectacle. Having a colour palette not made entirely of whites and greys would probably help. While all the alien tech gives nods to Giger's original derelict design, everything looks too clean, too sleek, too shiny, too new. And it all looks so boring and comprehensible compared to the gothic cathedral/bowels of hell aesthetic Giger came up with in 1979.

With all that said, I'll happily and wholeheartedly admit I didn't enjoy Prometheus because I wanted it to be something it isn't: a good and interesting movie. The three Good Alien Movies can stand on their own two feet on their own merits. Prometheus disappoints as fanservice and manages to be thoroughly :mediocre: when taken on its own.

I look forward to being exhaustively told why I'm wrong, stupid and have bad taste in sci-fi popcorn flicks.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
You've confused criticism with pretending to be angry.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

You've confused criticism with pretending to be angry.

And it was on this day, that I agreed with SMG.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Noomi Rapeface, a classic joke worthy of any youtube channel!

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

TomViolence posted:

With all that said, I'll happily and wholeheartedly admit I didn't enjoy Prometheus because I wanted it to be something it isn't: a good and interesting movie.

You probably thought this was clever didn't you?

As a rebuttal, Prometheus is a good and interesting movie. More so than the other Alien movies with the possible exception of the first. It's more ambitious, polished and overall better directed and acted and the SE are top-notch and still haven't been trumped despite Prometheus being 3 years old at this point. Dumb people don't like it because it's ambiguous and that makes their heads hurt.

In closing, all your criticisms are nothing more than Cinema Sins level wrongheaded nitpicking. Lazy.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

To be honest, it started as a short shitpost and then grew in length as I jotted down a catalogue of everything I remembered tutting at during the movie. I missed out on all the Prometheus chat way back when and so upon seeing it resurrected here, I jumped in in hopes of someone dropping :10bux: on some hilarious red text because I dislike a movie they like. I still stand by everything I've said, though, even if my style of critique isn't rigorous or dry (or funny or intelligent) enough to pass muster. For the reasons I've given, as well as others I can't articulate, I really did not enjoy Prometheus, and I refuse to apologise for it or see it as some intellectual failing of myself rather than the film. Guess it just wasn't my bag.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
The fictional scientists in the movie have the same attitude and approach to life/work as these real scientists https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocpuuaNwMSw

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

TomViolence posted:

There's Lance Hendriksen

Guy Pearce.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Noomi Rapeface, a classic joke worthy of any youtube channel!

It works only if you spell it Numi. *nods sagely*

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

rejutka posted:

I reckon it could do with around ten more minutes here and there established various characters, including the space, and it would be untouchable.
A common complaint among (American) audiences is that the vast majority of the prisoners are undeveloped, no-name redshirts, and a lot of them exist just to die (and sometimes merely offscreen, like with the quinitricetalyne explosion). Technically all of the prisoners have names in the script, and I think all of them are named in the end credits, but a lot of them have little to no screen-time even in the Assembly Cut. Even I have a hard time remembering all of their names, and matching names to faces is even more difficult. It doesn't help that a lot of them are visually interchangeable

There's probably a reading of the movie that looks at the development of individual identity, comparing the interchangeable myriad Alien drones of 'Aliens' who exist to die to the similarly unnamed, interchangeable prisoners from Alien3. Both movies "weed out" characters until only those with identity are left - the Alien Queen in 'Aliens', arguably the only "individual" Alien in the movie, and the prisoner Morse in 'Alien3', the one prisoner who doesn't buy into Dillon's collectivist, nihilistic religion, and the one prisoner who largely acts more for himself than for the others (and the one time he strays from that, it almost kills him).

Funnily enough the nameless prisoners were less of a complaint among UK audiences, mostly because the throwaway prisoners are played by UK actors that they were familiar with.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

Guy Pearce.

poo poo, so it was. Think I must've been misremembering and somehow mashing in scenes from AvP. The two films are kind of sloshing around in the same brain-space.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

TomViolence posted:

poo poo, so it was. Think I must've been misremembering and somehow mashing in scenes from AvP. The two films are kind of sloshing around in the same brain-space.

quote:

I really did not enjoy Prometheus, and I refuse to apologise for it or see it as some intellectual failing of myself rather than the film

I think maybe you should re-evaluate your position; take more responsibility for your own enjoyment of things.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

Xenomrph posted:

A common complaint among (American) audiences is that the vast majority of the prisoners are undeveloped, no-name redshirts, and a lot of them exist just to die (and sometimes merely offscreen, like with the quinitricetalyne explosion). Technically all of the prisoners have names in the script, and I think all of them are named in the end credits, but a lot of them have little to no screen-time even in the Assembly Cut. Even I have a hard time remembering all of their names, and matching names to faces is even more difficult. It doesn't help that a lot of them are visually interchangeable

There's probably a reading of the movie that looks at the development of individual identity, comparing the interchangeable myriad Alien drones of 'Aliens' who exist to die to the similarly unnamed, interchangeable prisoners from Alien3. Both movies "weed out" characters until only those with identity are left - the Alien Queen in 'Aliens', arguably the only "individual" Alien in the movie, and the prisoner Morse in 'Alien3', the one prisoner who doesn't buy into Dillon's collectivist, nihilistic religion, and the one prisoner who largely acts more for himself than for the others (and the one time he strays from that, it almost kills him).

Funnily enough the nameless prisoners were less of a complaint among UK audiences, mostly because the throwaway prisoners are played by UK actors that they were familiar with.

Too many words, dude. Also, being Irish. I am familiar with alla dem actors. It's quiet good casting, make not more of it because sperglord territory. Mostly I am impressed by the fact that this is a place that seems real and with many characters. You could set many a tale here and with ease.

Then Ripley shows up.

It is an elegant swansong to the world it lives in, even as a cludged together assembly of the original intent. The fourth movie just plain does not help.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

TomViolence posted:

it was also an objectively terrible movie.

Is that why you made such a long objectively terrible post?

Full Battle Rattle
Aug 29, 2009

As long as the times refuse to change, we're going to make a hell of a racket.
Prometheus was awesome, I particularly liked the part where Ridley Scott took the treasured nerd memories and said "God doesn't care" and just hosed 'em all up

You like aliens? own every piece of merchandise? All the games? Some giant white dude spilled some black goo on a bee hive (only one of it's many household uses) and for years humans have gone on about how biologically perfect killing machines they are, died trying to capture them and got whole groups of people killed for a chance at a 'specimen'. The whole mythology is an accident created by dumb humans trying to harness something they didn't understand. They're basically just insects. The new aliens are cooler anyway.

EDIT: That snake monster scared me more than anything in resurrection did. Jesus, that poo poo's brutal.

DOUBLE EDIT: Prometheus is what you get when someone actually tries to make a film instead of filling out a checklist of nerd criteria

Full Battle Rattle fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Sep 27, 2015

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

TomViolence posted:

Ridley Scott obviously decides that it just won't do to rip off Planet of the Vampires (watch that movie instead. It's like a better version of Prometheus, in that it's a worthy precursor to Alien)
Can you describe what's good about Planet of the Vampires? Or maybe describe some of the characters' personalities?

Martman fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 27, 2015

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Lt. Danger posted:

I think maybe you should re-evaluate your position; take more responsibility for your own enjoyment of things.

:golfclap:

Martman posted:

Can you describe what's good about Planet of the Vampires? Or maybe describe some of the characters' personalities?

I think I've pretty thoroughly established that my tongue-in-cheek opinions on movies aren't very good. But I'll recommend Planet of the Vampires all the same, because it's a nice slice of good old fashioned leather-jumpsuit-and-ray-gun space opera. It's got body-hopping alien ghosts, a derelict occupied by the skeleton of a big, egg-headed creature the origins of which never become clear and it's also got space zombies. While the acting is decidedly of its day and the characters may as well be cardboard cutouts for all the development they get, the movie hits all the right notes in terms of atmosphere, with ubiquitously billowing knee-high fog, unexplained and eery noises, inscrutable psychic phenomena afflicting the crew with narcolepsy at every turn and an all-encompassing sense of dread that builds all the way to the rather boldly bleak ending. It's got a lot of the things Prometheus has, having inspired both it and Alien, but in my opinion carries them off with its own spin on a low budget and with a great deal of charm.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Full Battle Rattle posted:

Prometheus was awesome, I particularly liked the part where Ridley Scott took the treasured nerd memories and said "God doesn't care" and just hosed 'em all up

You like aliens? own every piece of merchandise? All the games? Some giant white dude spilled some black goo on a bee hive (only one of it's many household uses) and for years humans have gone on about how biologically perfect killing machines they are, died trying to capture them and got whole groups of people killed for a chance at a 'specimen'. The whole mythology is an accident created by dumb humans trying to harness something they didn't understand. They're basically just insects. The new aliens are cooler anyway.

EDIT: That snake monster scared me more than anything in resurrection did. Jesus, that poo poo's brutal.

DOUBLE EDIT: Prometheus is what you get when someone actually tries to make a film instead of filling out a checklist of nerd criteria
Prometheus didn't change anything about the old capital-A Aliens, aside from maybe implying that the black goo was derived from them in some way.

Also none of the movies "filled out a checklist of nerd criteria" except for *maybe* Resurrection to a small degree (written by Joss Whedon, after all :v: )

Unless you meant the AvP movies in which case yeah they're pretty guilty of that

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I've gotten poo poo for this in other threads in the past, but if I'm being 100% honest its very difficult for me to read someone's opinion with an open mind when they refer to Michael Fassbender as "Magneto", and Guy Pierce as "Lance Hendricksen."

Also, people who use the term "objectively terrible" are generally assholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Full Battle Rattle posted:

I'm pretty vanilla sexually but I love some rough play in my genre movies. Yeah, Ridley, withhold the established morphology of the creatures I like. Yeah, yeah, kill Newt and Hicks harder while Miller blows up Max's interceptor right in my face!!!

Movies that give you what you want are ok, but movies that give you what you actually need are the best.