Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Rime posted:

A law requiring them to disclose assets, Kwan said, “goes against our culture."
:chanpop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Furnaceface posted:

Theyre along the border with Alberta but a big enough volcano could shoot poo poo that far. I think. :colbert:

When Mt St. Helens blew in the 80s a bit of ash fell on Vancouver, that's about it. The Rockies are a couple hundred kms further away than that.

Also, the Rockies aren't volcanoes, they were formed when BC detached from California (I think), floated upwards and crashed into Alberta :science:

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Also gently caress anyone who doesn't declare their global income and pay their taxes, but still expects to use Canadian services.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

our culture means enabling vancouverite greed and stupidity

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

HookShot posted:

When Mt St. Helens blew in the 80s a bit of ash fell on Vancouver, that's about it. The Rockies are a couple hundred kms further away than that.

Also, the Rockies aren't volcanoes, they were formed when BC detached from California (I think), floated upwards and crashed into Alberta :science:

Theyre called subduction zones and were formed from 3(?) tectonic plates colliding. There is still a fault line underneath and fault lines are a major source of volcanic activity so I stand by my statement. :colbert:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

etalian posted:

our culture means enabling vancouverite greed and stupidity

"You say your culture is to be private about money. Well, in our culture, when people hide money from the government and refuse to pay tax, we fine them and put them in prison for tax evasion. Let us each act according to our cultures."

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

quote:

The Chinese are very private about their money.” A law requiring them to disclose assets, Kwan said, “goes against our culture.”

Okay, now I understand why CI hates Kwan.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CI was right all along.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Oh well my religion forbids me from reporting my income to the CRA so that's that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
My culture requires me to steal from the rich and smash the fash.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Rime posted:

I can't wait for a reasonable earthquake to hit so that I can watch most of North Van slide down those mountains and into the ocean. I was hoping for some epic landslides this winter after the drought, but the rain came too early. :allears:

North Van is built on granite. It could be the only neighbourhood still standing.

I can't wait until your penis gets blown off by a mine in your next Soviet block adventure. :allears:

BCR
Jan 23, 2011

HookShot posted:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

HookShot posted:

This Post Kill Fascists

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Guys, vote for the party

also she does good work

:goonsay:

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.
I still don't understand how people think their culture trumps Canadian law or else oh noes they are being oppressed :qq:

Seriously, they have as much right to hide assets for "cultural reasons" as I do to :freep: for "cultural reasons." Which is to say, follow the law or go somewhere with laws you dislike less.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe
In almost any other context half the thread would be calling you a bigot for saying that.

LOL Canada threads.

tagesschau
Sep 1, 2006
Guten Abend, meine Damen und Herren.

EvilJoven posted:

In almost any other context half the thread would be calling you a bigot for saying that.

LOL Canada threads.

Hey, at least I've been consistent, and I even apply it to myself. I don't believe I have the right to carry concealed in self-defense or that I have the right to publish the names of young offenders because the culture I grew up recognizes my right to do so, but if I did, it would be the same principle of "these laws shouldn't apply to me because mah culture."

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

EvilJoven posted:

LOL Canada threads.

You really aren't joking.

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
IRS would come down like a ton of bricks on something like that, in those sorts of trials you pretty much have to prove you aren't a tax cheat instead of the state proving their case beyond a reasonable doubt. How the mafia was destroyed and all that.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

EvilJoven posted:

LOL Canada threads.

When someone claims that "their culture" is the reason why they can't contribute to Canadian society or obey Canadian laws but still expect to receive the same services that other Canadians have paid for, especially when these people are among the richest Canadians, then yeah, they can go and get hosed.

There's a difference between this and telling someone their culture is wrong because they want to wear a headscarf outside.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What if we just completely ignored culture as being a valid reason for doing something? The criteria should be: are you negatively affecting other people through your actions? If so, it can be restricted. If not, it should not be restricted.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

PT6A posted:

What if we just completely ignored culture as being a valid reason for doing something? The criteria should be: are you negatively affecting other people through your actions? If so, it can be restricted. If not, it should not be restricted.

all corporations ever are suddenly restricted

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

PT6A posted:

That would be completely logical. Unfortunately you'd get shut down with some variation of "Of course you can say that, you priviliged white man!"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos

HookShot posted:

Everything west of the flat part of Alberta is not part of the original North American plate. The complex geological history and multiple mountain strips of west Alberta and BC were formed due to the creation of islands from underwater magma vents and volcanoes in long strips that were then subsequently and iteratively smashed up against the North American plate.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geology_of_British_Columbia

Active volcanoes likely formed after the fact where the crust is thin and allows lava to flow upwards from the mantle to the surface.

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Sep 26, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PT6A posted:

Consumer electronics are now banned.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HookShot posted:

When someone claims that "their culture" is the reason why they can't contribute to Canadian society or obey Canadian laws but still expect to receive the same services that other Canadians have paid for, especially when these people are among the richest Canadians, then yeah, they can go and get hosed.

Pretty sure I've heard this exact argument argued against natives. If you're shouting this at the local coffee shop, make sure you add on that you're talking about asians and muslims, not natives so people know you're cool.

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)
Show us your assets, baby.

- people talking about niqabis, or people talking about Chinese millionaires guess which one is actually oppressed

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Ikantski posted:

Pretty sure I've heard this exact argument argued against natives. If you're shouting this at the local coffee shop, make sure you add on that you're talking about asians and muslims, not natives so people know you're cool.

Except natives do contribute to Canada and often aren't given the same services as the rest of the country so I'm not sure what your point is except trying to call me a racist for thinking rich people shouldn't be able to use their culture as an excuse to not pay taxes.

But by all means, defend these assholes. This is definitely a good hill to die on just to make me look like a racist.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The per capita spening for things like health, education et al are significantly less for Aboriginals than they are for every other Canadian.

The quote from Jenny Kwan is from '97. It's a hit piece of yellow journalism, but she is sub-human garbage, so we'll call that one a draw.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Why is it any less relevant today?

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Brannock posted:

You really aren't joking.

Hahaha

Ikantski posted:

Don't forget that they were also here first and European settlers signed treaties that we can't even seem to honour despite those treaties being heavily in our favour so nobody of European descent really has a leg to stand on when griping about natives getting a 'free ride'.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Cultural Imperial posted:

Why is it any less relevant today?

Some of us put a shelf-life on specific things to hate, when there's new, exciting things to hate even more.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

Fun Shoe
Speaking of native rights a big chunk of pretty decent real estate in Winnipeg that used to be a military base was recently turned over to a coalition of a few tribes in the area to turn into an urban reserve. Before that it was a toss up between being a reserve or being bought up and turned into some kind of gated community for (I think orthodox) Jews.

Now that it's definitely going to be a reserve tons of people are being all weepy about their property values despite the fact that other urban reserves have been pretty successful and a benefit to the community.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

EvilJoven posted:

LOL Canada threads.
It's true.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

EvilJoven posted:

Speaking of native rights a big chunk of pretty decent real estate in Winnipeg that used to be a military base was recently turned over to a coalition of a few tribes in the area to turn into an urban reserve. Before that it was a toss up between being a reserve or being bought up and turned into some kind of gated community for (I think orthodox) Jews.

Now that it's definitely going to be a reserve tons of people are being all weepy about their property values despite the fact that other urban reserves have been pretty successful and a benefit to the community.

The only reason I could afford my place is because it's near a reserve. I don't blame natives for such lovely conditions, but there is nothing nice about living beside one. Or in one, of course. Property crime is much higher within a few blocks of it.

Google streetview accidentally went through it a few years ago and it was amazing to see the contrast between the old rotting randomly-placed houses covered in mattresses and rusted cars next to the $800k new condos a few blocks away. They have since removed the streetview unfortunately. I delivered papers there for a while before I got fed up with being chased by rottweilers.

Harder to see the contrast from the air but here. I live in the top right area:

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 26, 2015

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓ð’‰𒋫 𒆷ð’€𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 ð’®𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Speaking of that, I don't know why Vancouver natives haven't gotten into the condo racket more. They don't have to listen to the OCP, they could build multiple Burj Khalifa style towers on that land, make a killing and live in the penthouses while being set for generations. Then take all the condos back from white people 100 years from now.

So far only the reserve to the east has done a few four storey woodframes. There's almost no discount for not owning the property (leasehold).

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 26, 2015

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

HookShot posted:

Except natives do contribute to Canada and often aren't given the same services as the rest of the country so I'm not sure what your point is except trying to call me a racist for thinking rich people shouldn't be able to use their culture as an excuse to not pay taxes.

But by all means, defend these assholes. This is definitely a good hill to die on just to make me look like a racist.

Ah no, I don't think you're racist at all. If anything I am the racist in this conversation. I was saying that people wouldn't think of rich chinese tax evaders if you went and stood on a busy street corner in Thunder Bay, Winnipeg and maybe even Vancouver with a giant sign that reads

"When someone claims that 'their culture' is the reason why they can't contribute to Canadian society or obey Canadian laws but still expect to receive the same services that other Canadians have paid for, they can go and get hosed"

So, I am the racist here because, as a result of my interactions with many rural people, I've heard that language and probably exact sentence used to describe natives way more than any other group and so if I heard that, I'd think the person was talking about natives. Maybe I'm totally wrong, it'd be an interesting vox pos/social experiment to try and see who gets pissed off at you and why. Or you could do it and when people walk up to you all fuming with SJW rage, hand them a flyer about Chinese tax evaders or something.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
When rural people and people in this thread think of and talk about "canadian society" in a positive sense they are probably thinking of and talking about different things

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Tighclops posted:

When rural people and people in this thread think of and talk about "canadian society" in a positive sense they are probably thinking of and talking about different things

While the people in this thread do tend to set the bar extremely high with contributions to society (minus the bunch praying for Vancouver to be devoured by magma), we were talking about paying your due taxes so I figured that's what she was referring to. I'd agree that rural people set the bar pretty low but an important milestone for young yokels tends to be "get a job and pay some taxes" and don't drink and drive too much and make a solid effort to not accidentally start dating a cousin. So I figure they're at least comparable in the context of the conversation we were having today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

EvilJoven posted:

LOL Canada threads.

Nobody gave a poo poo when CI ranted about all single moms being human garbage so this thread truly is special. I guess Vancouver is just the world's most expensive landfill site.

Bonus points if the frequent SJW-shaming shitposter who apparently has a son is actually just a bitter MRA divorcee,