Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
What's the health fisting thing in soma, is it their weird structure gel ? Why does the hand goes deeper as the game progresses ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

unpacked robinhood posted:

What's the health fisting thing in soma, is it their weird structure gel ? Why does the hand goes deeper as the game progresses ?

Slight spoilers about a hidden "Puzzle" (non story) it is necessary to avoid all of them except the first to get the last piece of the code to unlock the archive with concept art etc

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

You're joking.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

No interaction allowed I guess. They are bringing back those checkpoint things from Penumbra

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Speedball posted:

You're joking.

If that was me, this is according to The reddit guy who found the code by unpacking the game files

You can just copy the code from reddit if you don't want to go through the hassle.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Just started SOMA and I'm really early in, but I love seeing a game where it actually feels like you're interacting with the world in some meaningful way, even if it's mostly grabbing things and clumsily spinning them around before tossing them in a random direction. The controls are very familiar from Amnesia so it didn't take me much time to get the hang of it; handling objects is still a bit awkward but really intuitive, and they've improved the physics involved by quite a bit. I spent way too long in the very first area just chucking things into a garbage can. The sound is pretty awesome with headphones on, even little things like a glass hitting tile add a lot to the experience. Although a glass really should break if you throw it on a tile floor, 0/5 stars, immersion ruined

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah for the most part, picking up and examining the random stuff was a novel thing in Penumbra but it felt kind of pointless to me in Soma.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Dreadwroth posted:

Yeah for the most part, picking up and examining the random stuff was a novel thing in Penumbra but it felt kind of pointless to me in Soma.
I checked the back of every single picture/note and I think only one of them had something written on the back, and it wasn't important.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
The note with the thing on the back that I found (I wasn't turning everything round) was sparse enough on the front to make you think what the point of it being an item was and hence turning it around.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Then there's Until Dawn where 90% of items have stuff written on the back to the point where the subtitles will point it out but you won't get "clue found" or whatever until you physically look. Really clunky in that aspect.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

unpacked robinhood posted:

i believe the game tells you late what they are (or about 2/3 of the way through). i didn't even know they healed you since I never came across them in any injured state so i thought it was a story thing.

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Groovelord Neato posted:

i believe the game tells you late what they are (or about 2/3 of the way through). i didn't even know they healed you since I never came across them in any injured state so i thought it was a story thing.

As a note, when you look at them, your crosshair turns into a first aid cross.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I think that's the sad thing about them moving away from puzzle elements. The lovely game-engine loses a lot of what makes it special, that great feel of handling objects and putting them together.

While I think SOMA was great for what it was, I hope they don't continue pushing more in the "walking simulator" direction for upcoming games.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

al-azad posted:

Then there's Until Dawn where 90% of items have stuff written on the back to the point where the subtitles will point it out but you won't get "clue found" or whatever until you physically look. Really clunky in that aspect.

I don't mind that by itself because it was a core part of the game from the beginning, so you went in knowing that turning stuff around in your hand was important instead of just having a bunch of objects that you pick up to look at and then suddenly there's a crucial clue on the back unlike everything else.

My problem was that twice with the totems, the vision failed to trigger unless I put it down and picked it back up.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

mr sad posted:

As a note, when you look at them, your crosshair turns into a first aid cross.

yeah but it's all hosed up. again it's so rare you'd need to heal since you can do any bit you'd die at over very easily as the checkpoints are pretty close by that it never came up.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Also if you're ever in the injured limping state with no health holes around you might as well shove your head up a monster's rear end in a top hat anyway because trying to run around like that is loving impossible

I know Frictional and a lot of horror game developers are trying to find ways to make failure states less frustrating but this isn't it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

RentACop posted:

Somewhat along those lines, I want to say the Blade Runner adventure game made a semi-random selection of characters replicants each time
It did, the MC could even be a replicant.

Section 9
Mar 24, 2003

Hair Elf

Groovelord Neato posted:

i really had no issue with the tone overall/with the plot the issue is more that Simon didn't really make sense at the end. horror media is usually best when it's got a depressing or at least ambiguous in the end, i just wish simon had understood (as he should have since he'd done it once already) that the one being copied gets left behind as that would make more sense as a character and tonally with the final area.

But he had been through it twice before and come out as the consciousness on the other side of the transfer, so he was expecting it would happen again and was angry that he ended up being left behind, and is irrational in his despair that he's doomed. Basically, there are a couple of Simon streams of consciousness that we see. There's Simon going to the brain scan. There's Simon waking up in Upsilon. There's Simon waking up in the dive suit. There's Simon waking up in the Ark. In the game we're playing the stream of the third Simon, who has experienced the previous two streams because they're in his memory. So up to that point, he's been continuous and expects the same will happen when he transfers to the Ark. We see the frustration of the one that get's left behind. It also disproves Dr. Sarang's theory of continuity, and all those people that killed themselves did not magically end up being their consciousness in the Ark. I think it's pretty apt since it's the same frustration the the player probably feels after going through all of that and not getting to experience the "good ending". Of course, then they give us the good ending post credits.

I don't know that this opinion of it needs to be in spoilers, but I'll do it just to be safe. The horror in SOMA is not the monsters, the creepy environments, or fear of death. It's the deeper implications of all the decision you have to make. I love that your choices don't really change the plot, give you "good" or "evil" points, or give you better endings or anything. You're left to decide if your choices were the right ones on your own. It's not about winning the game or losing the game, it's about exploring how you really feel about the questions it explores.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Relin posted:

I checked the back of every single picture/note and I think only one of them had something written on the back, and it wasn't important.

Speaking of inspecting things, is there a way to zoom on things you pick up aside from the little zoom you get from spinning it? (PS4)

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Regarding Simon's reaction in the ending: Personally, I feel like it's well within his character to be super pissed about it. Sure, he probably knew he was only making a copy of himself to put on the ARK--but he fully expected to be the copy that transfers onto the ship. Throughout the story, Simon really only cares about himself and keeping himself alive, surviving. He expresses gratitude to Catherine for helping him, but even close to the end he makes it pretty clear that he doesn't see her as a real person and that he's in this to save himself. He's a hypocritical rear end hole, basically, but it isn't his fault. Unlike real-life Simon, he was given a genuine chance to survive. He never had the opportunity to accept his fate because he managed to escape any and all death up to that point--he'd already survived the brain damage. Real-life Simon was given a chance to reflect on his impending death, and was happy knowing that, thanks to him, people in the future might not have to suffer his fate.

In a way, it's a reversal of what Simon says earlier. He mentions that knowing he was going to die only made him realize how much he wanted to live. Waking up on the PATHOS-II gave him hope, and that hope never went away until the very end, when he was left all alone at the bottom of the ocean. Unlike real-life Simon, who was given time to prepare himself for the inevitable and was grateful for what the brain scans would mean for the future. You either accept your fate or you bitterly cling to life.

In regards to picking things up: the PS4 version is weird with this. You can pick things up and then spin 'em around to look at 'em, but there's no way to zoom back out. That is, you cannot put things softly where you found them after inspecting them without moving Simon's entire body. Eventually you just kinda toss things around.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Speaking of inspecting things, is there a way to zoom on things you pick up aside from the little zoom you get from spinning it? (PS4)

Edit: Wrong game, carry on.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

BlackFrost posted:

In regards to picking things up: the PS4 version is weird with this. You can pick things up and then spin 'em around to look at 'em, but there's no way to zoom back out. That is, you cannot put things softly where you found them after inspecting them without moving Simon's entire body. Eventually you just kinda toss things around.

I mean in the sense of zooming in; there are some cool fine details on some of the items but I would rather not shove my nose in my television to make them out.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

BlackFrost posted:

You're supposed to press L1 and throw them into a corner no matter what they are because that's what Simon did in his real life with everything because he's an idiot.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I finally played the Penumbra games and they were good. I thought they felt a lot like Amnesia, then I looked and they were developed by Frictional as well. A little old but still good, I think.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015

GreyPowerVan posted:

I finally played the Penumbra games and they were good. I thought they felt a lot like Amnesia, then I looked and they were developed by Frictional as well. A little old but still good, I think.

Even the 3rd one?

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Jim Flatline posted:

Even the 3rd one?

It's more of an expansion for the second one I thought, but I'm actually starting that one tomorrow. I haven't read any reviews or anything, but I'm assuming from the way you said that, that it sucks.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

GreyPowerVan posted:

It's more of an expansion for the second one I thought, but I'm actually starting that one tomorrow. I haven't read any reviews or anything, but I'm assuming from the way you said that, that it sucks.
The 3rd one sucks super hard, the second one was alright but not as good as the first. But yeah....the 3rd one was super, super bad.

Jim Flatline
Sep 23, 2015
I liked the 3rd one but there's definite reasons to not like it at all.

Imagine if one guy got hold of a level editor and was a big fan of puzzles but couldn't add in new assets, thats the 3rd one.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

The third one sucks because it's completely abstract and not very interesting. There is a lot of emphasis on puzzles and not a whole lot of atmosphere or horror. It almost seems like a tech demo or something. They do sort of continue the plot of Black Plague, but it's also really stupid and kind of retroactively makes the series feel worse.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh. I'll just skip it then. Thanks, goons, for not making me waste my time :v:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I just learned that Kojima and Del Toro were secretly working on Silent Hills with Junji Ito and now I really hate Konami

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Argue posted:

I just learned that Kojima and Del Toro were secretly working on Silent Hills with Junji Ito and now I really hate Konami
On the other hand, I'm happy knowing that I'll be able to sleep at night.

I mean, can you imagine the poo poo that dude would be capable of? Like say you're playing at 2 am and the game just decides to flash an Ito monstrosity at you for half a second all cool like. Or its 4 am and the drat TV/PS4 are on (because of that Anynet or whatever digital media control poo poo) and a giant eye is looking at you when you go to turn it off.

Or crap that the PSeye could do to you.

Jesus Christ.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Niggurath posted:

The 3rd one sucks super hard, the second one was alright but not as good as the first. But yeah....the 3rd one was super, super bad.

??

Black Plague was better than Overture in every way, I thought. I can't think of one thing it did better except making it less terrifying to exist. I didn't spend as much time cowering in Overture.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Faffel posted:

??

Black Plague was better than Overture in every way, I thought. I can't think of one thing it did better except making it less terrifying to exist. I didn't spend as much time cowering in Overture.
Eh, I enjoyed the first one more than the second one but it's been forever since I played either one, so maybe it's rose tinted glasses. I mostly just remember the third one being awful. Also Cryostasis was a good game in the same vein as Penumbra, but it might be my same rose tinted memory.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

They're both fantastic games. Cryostasis I couldn't get into. I really like the adventure-horror games and would be happy without the risk of death, tbh. But Black Plague had a lot of just ball-retractingly terrifying scenes where the monsters got aggressively IN YOUR FACE like no other adventure-horror game I'd seen. Bashing down doors and sprinting down the hall at you, just loving primal fear stuff. Really good. They never really did that again. Or maybe they did, I never got too far in Amnesia.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I played both Penumbra games back to back and remember liking Overture more than Black Plague. I think having a voice constantly talking to you in your head kind of undermined the feeling of isolation in Black Plague and I didn't find myself getting as creeped out by it.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Niggurath posted:

Eh, I enjoyed the first one more than the second one but it's been forever since I played either one, so maybe it's rose tinted glasses. I mostly just remember the third one being awful. Also Cryostasis was a good game in the same vein as Penumbra, but it might be my same rose tinted memory.

The third was basically a level pack, but it's still worth a playthrough, since they do some interesting things with the mechanics. But the story is over with the second one.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I only bought a PS4 two weeks ago; my Googling tells me I already know the answer but just to be sure--is there still a way for me to play P.T.?

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Argue posted:

I only bought a PS4 two weeks ago; my Googling tells me I already know the answer but just to be sure--is there still a way for me to play P.T.?

Sadly, no :rip:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raymond Hog
Nov 28, 2013

i feel like something is going to happen w/r/t silent hills. with del toro teasing junji ito on twitter like a year after the game was cancelled it feels more like a tease of whats to come rather than a sorrowful reminder of what happened. at least i really hope so. that would be xtremely hosed up if the fat gamer guy teased us like that