Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Ah crap, sorry about that, I posed at like 2 in the morning, here's the cleaned up version:

So after doing my reaserch, I'm considering slowly over the next few month going the whole hog and making a War Convocation. This is what I was thinking of:

War Convocation (1850pts)

Points by group:

Imperial Knights (425pts)
Skitarii (700pts)
AdMech (725pts)

Knight Oathsworn Unit (425 Points)

Knight Crusader (425pts)
Gear: [Avenger Gatling Cannon w/ Heavy Flamer, Meltagun, Stormspear Rocket Pod, Thermal Cannon]

Skitarii Battle Maniple (700pts)

1x Onager Dunecrawler (90pts)-
Gear: [Broad spectrum data-tether, Emanatus force field, Searchlight]
Weapons: [Cognis heavy stubber, Cognis manipulator, Mindscanner probe, Neutron Laser and Cognis Heavy Stubber, Smoke launchers]

Sicarian Infiltrators (185pts)-
4x Sicarian Infiltrator (140pts) [Sicarian Battle Armour, Stubcarbines and Power Swords]
1X Infiltrator Princeps (45pts) [Conversion field, Phosphoenix]

Sicarian Ruststalkers (160pts)-
4x Sicarian Ruststalker (120pts)[Sicarian Battle Armour, Transonic razor, Chordclaw, and Mindscrambler Grenades]
1x Ruststalker Princeps (40pts) [Conversion field]

Skitarii Ranger Squad (120pts)-
9x Skitarii Ranger (99pts) [Galvanic rifle, Omnispex,, Skitarii war plate, 3x Transuranic arquebus]
1x Ranger Alpha (21pts) [Conversion field, Galvanic rifle, Skitarii war plate, The Skull of Elder Nikola]

Skitarii Vanguard squad: (100pts)-

9x Skitarii Vanguard (81pts)- [Omnispex, 3x Plasma caliver, Radium carbine, Skitarii war plate]
1x Vanguard Alpha-Vanguard Alpha (19pts) [Conversion field, Pater Radium, Radium carbine, Skitarii war plate]

1x Sydonian Dragoons (45pts)
Gear: [Broad spectrum data-tether, Searchlight]
Weapons [Phosphor serpenta, Taser lance]

Cult Mechanicus Battle Congregation (725 Points)

HQ (105pts)

1x Tech-Priest Dominus (105pts)
Gear: [Artificer armour, Autocaduceus of Arkhan Land, Digital weapons, Erradication ray, Macrostubber, Mechadendrite harness, Power axe, Refractor field, Scryerskull]

Kataphron Destroyers (165pts) [Kataphron demiplate]

Kataphron Destroyer (55pts) [Heavy grav-cannon, Phosphor blaster]

Kataphron Destroyers (165pts) [Kataphron demiplate]

Kataphron Destroyer (55pts) [Phosphor blaster, Plasma culverin]

Kastelan Robot Maniple (290pts)

Cybernetica Datasmith (50pts) [Anzion’s Pseudogenetor, Artificer armour, Conversion field, Dataspike, Digital weapons, Gamma pistol, Infoslave Skull, Power fist]
Kastelan Robot (120pts) [Heavy phosphor blaster, Kastelan battlehide, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]
Kastelan Robot (120pts) [Heavy phosphor blaster, Kastelan battlehide, Twin-linked heavy phosphor blaster]

I know for some, the Arquebus's on the Rangers are ech, but I really like the model and thing it would work well for the army. I went fully heavy weapons on the Crusader for extra anti-vehicle and wide range support and loaded the Dune Crawler for bear. If I had 10 extra points I could go from dragoon to Ironstriker though.

Do you like friends? Becasue war convocation is not how you get friends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

DJ Dizzy posted:

Do you like friends? Becasue war convocation is not how you get friends.

I do like friends, but I also like cyborg/robot armies that get hundreds of points of free awesome weapons. (I also didn't quite realize the cheese factor of this army until after I liked the models, that was just the iceing the cake afterwards).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Crossposting from the painting thread, I finally finished this sucka:

Lots more pictures:
Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/TinyPlasticSpacemen/posts/993174327400965
Imgur album https://imgur.com/a/pl4qk

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

That's a tasty knight, dude. Great work!

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
Sweet looking knight, I assume you magnetized those limbs?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Thanks :) yeah everything is magnetized including the torso:

This one was good to do as it gives me ideas for my own Knight.

This was also my first time using plaster and rock molds to make the large rocks on the base. And that was training for a mega-big terrain project I'll be posting about in the next couple of weeks.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I do like friends, but I also like cyborg/robot armies that get hundreds of points of free awesome weapons. (I also didn't quite realize the cheese factor of this army until after I liked the models, that was just the iceing the cake afterwards).

I made a cult mech / skiitari / space marines list that didn't use any formation for when playing with friends. It's good but not too good. A strong, balanced list that's a good challenge without being dickish.

I made the similar list, but as a war convocation with a knight crusader. It is broken as poo poo and is no fun to play against. I will be bringing it to a GT in December. I do play it against some friends who also bring tough as nails tournament lists though.

I find it's good to have multiple lists, depending on your opponent.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

>Friends
>War convocation

Pick one.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
Krushgroove that looks sick as gently caress. Very clean.

I like the base as well!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ha, I wonder if I can use that as a testimonial on my site :) Thanks!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hi! I'm games workshop and I don't know how to write a balanced army. The solution to selling a new army ? Bonuses! Bonuses! Bonuses!

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

LingcodKilla posted:

Hi! I'm games workshop and I don't know how to write a balanced army. The solution to selling a new army ? Bonuses! Bonuses! Bonuses!

No, but you see making upgrades free so that you have to use more points on models, so you have to buy more models to get the most powerful army is good beca- :vomarine:

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

ro5s posted:

No, but you see making upgrades free so that you have to use more points on models, so you have to buy more models to get the most powerful army is good beca- :vomarine:

Yeah that's one thing keeping me from possibly getting back in, that price, even when I'm not a college student I look at prices and go "holy poo poo"

But that being said, By the Omnissiah GW, seriously, one or two guys getting free wargear is an interesting mechanic. A whole goddamn army that a recipe for more cheese than the state of Wisconsin.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Yeah that's one thing keeping me from possibly getting back in, that price, even when I'm not a college student I look at prices and go "holy poo poo"

But that being said, By the Omnissiah GW, seriously, one or two guys getting free wargear is an interesting mechanic. A whole goddamn army that a recipe for more cheese than the state of Wisconsin.

What? You're telling me a Skiitari vanguard squad with 3 Plasma Calverin's, an Omnispex, and a digital Arc Maul, Conversion field, and Phosphoenix on the Alpha for 100 points is too cheap? Preposterous.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Master Twig posted:

What? You're telling me a Skiitari vanguard squad with 3 Plasma Calverin's, an Omnispex, and a digital Arc Maul, Conversion field, and Phosphoenix on the Alpha for 100 points is too cheap? Preposterous.

And don't forget their radiation emitting base gun that cause 2 wounds one sixth of the time, not over powered at all. :)

thiswayliesmadness
Dec 3, 2009

I hope to see you next time, and take care all

krushgroove posted:

Lots more pictures:
Facebook album https://www.facebook.com/TinyPlasticSpacemen/posts/993174327400965

That guy came out fantastic. What are you using for your gold? Really like the tone on it.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS
Maybe I should use my cadians to play 30k militia with lascarbines.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Jimmy4400nav posted:

And don't forget their radiation emitting base gun that cause 2 wounds one sixth of the time, not over powered at all. :)

Base guns are statistically as good as bolters vs anything, except T6 where they become twice as effective.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DJ Dizzy posted:

Base guns are statistically as good as bolters vs anything, except T6 where they become twice as effective.

To be fair he did say they were not overpowered. So reverse sarcasm?

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash
Thought I'd share some pics from our hh event at the Michigan GT

http://m.imgur.com/a/Xpdku

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

LordAba posted:

To be fair he did say they were not overpowered. So reverse sarcasm?

Yes.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

krushgroove posted:

Lots more pictures:

Owns. Great looking work dude.

chutche2 posted:

Maybe I should use my cadians to play 30k militia with lascarbines.

The only right answer can be 'yes'. Take inducted levy squads of 20 dudes for 50 points and drown your enemy in bodies.

muggins posted:

Thought I'd share some pics from our hh event at the Michigan GT

http://m.imgur.com/a/Xpdku

What kind of army did you take? I'd love to hear more about what the meta was like. Awesome pictures btw.

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 27, 2015

Bavius
Jun 4, 2010

Smurfs don't lay eggs! I won't tell you this again! Papa Smurf has a fucking beard! They're mammals!
Feeling very hobby oriented right now - my space ship corridors just came in so with the help of a friend we got them assembled and about half painted. Also got my buddies table from him so I have a new dining room warham table.

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

BULBASAUR posted:

What kind of army did you take? I'd love to hear more about what the meta was like. Awesome pictures btw.

Sure! I can post in the morning

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Spent my entire Saturday evening clipping space marine bits from sprues and consolidating them. Oi. But at least it's almost all done and I can finally toss all of these empty sprues and cardboard boxes into recycling and free up some space at home.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
So I decided that before I buy any AdMech units I'll finish painting the space marines I drunkenly purchased several years ago. Both to make sure I'm in the mood to paint a new army after painting 40 space marines and so I'll get some better practice with my brush strikes.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar
Anyone have experience assembling a Brass Scorpion? And do the legs really support the body? Seems kinda heavy and I'm not sure how to assemble the legs when there are 8 of them and it's resting on them? I guess I'll elevate the body somehow but just worried about stability after they're attached.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Someone tell me what exactly war convocation gets that's so cheap/broken? Serious question, I haven't played 40k in years and I'm curious.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Pierzak posted:

Someone tell me what exactly war convocation gets that's so cheap/broken? Serious question, I haven't played 40k in years and I'm curious.

Every model gets the benefit of the canticles of the omnissiah. This can lead to up to 3 knight crusaders boogalooing with 2+ cover save for 2 turns in a row.

Secondly. All wargear upgrades are free. ALL. In my 1850 ETC list, i am playing with 700 points more than the dude across me. All weapons lose Gets Hot aswell.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

DJ Dizzy posted:

Every model gets the benefit of the canticles of the omnissiah. This can lead to up to 3 knight crusaders boogalooing with 2+ cover save for 2 turns in a row.

Secondly. All wargear upgrades are free. ALL. In my 1850 ETC list, i am playing with 700 points more than the dude across me. All weapons lose Gets Hot aswell.

That's pants on head retarded.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

BULBASAUR posted:

Owns. Great looking work dude.

thiswayliesmadness posted:

That guy came out fantastic. What are you using for your gold? Really like the tone on it.

Thanks guys :) I guess I worked on it for so long I started to see flaws everywhere I looked, especially in close-up pictures

TWLM - that's Darkstar Miniatures metallics on it, it's a new UK line of paints, they only do metallics and they're quite nice. The gold is their Royal Gold, then Pale Gold for the goldy-silver highlights and finally I think it was Pewter which is a really bright silver.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

LingcodKilla posted:

That's pants on head retarded.

Also krushgroove you're painting is amazing, I hope one day I can make my minis look half as awesome.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Also krushgroove you're painting is amazing, I hope one day I can make my minis look half as awesome.

Thanks very much :) I used a bunch of the methods from the Forge World masterclass books, for example lots of sponge weathering with dark metallics and using inks on the melta & exhausts and beyond that airbrushing helped keep the white and red smooth (although I did mess up a couple of panels and mistakenly tried to 'fix' them by brushing on the paint - I had to give in and mask off and spray those panels over again). Most of the techniques you can find in web articles without having to buy those FW books, though - and the books have a lot of overlap between the various projects. You can find the same techniques if you can get any issue of a military modeling magazine where the authors show various full projects.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

DJ Dizzy posted:

So basically, Age of Emperor confirmed?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Pierzak posted:

So basically, Age of Emperor confirmed?

Just have fun, Forgeworld a narrative.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike
I just got a lot of my books moved back in with me, so I have begun reorganizing things. I was thus able to do an interesting comparison that really shows the extreme proliferation of codexes and supplements in 7th edition.

This shelf has everything published for Warhammer 40k prior to 7th edition that is no longer valid in the current rules, except 'Ere We Go, Waagh the Orks, Chapter Approved, Index Astartes IV, and the worthless Wargear supplement. Oh, the Realm of Chaos books are on the shelf above.

This shelf has everything published for 7th edition, including anything still valid from previous editions. It is larger by the Planetary Empires supplement, which is probably about as wide as those missing books.

Conclusion: everything currently legal (not even including digital material!) is as much as they have published over the entire history of Warhammer 40k prior to this edition.

Second Conclusion: I am going to be pissed when they put out the new Tau codex, because I don't have any space to move the old one over to that shelf.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Not even close. Books are physically bigger this time around.

thegodofchuck
May 13, 2006

You'll be godlike

DJ Dizzy posted:

Not even close. Books are physically bigger this time around.

Oh, I'm not saying number (although there are still quite a few books there, it's almost half just on the amount), I'm saying volume in the volumes. So... yes, there's more stuff, I agree!

I suppose you could make an argument that the covers and slipcases are taking up some room, but even still, I don't think that would give you more than 1/4 off of the volume there if we ripped the covers off of everything on both shelves.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Let's have a page count of 7th edition compared to all previous editions. Bonus points for leaving out pages that are just art with no words ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
lol if you buy 7th edition books

• Locked thread