Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
One Piece experiment: what happens if Brook's soul leaves his body, then Law puts someone else's spirit in there? Could Brook inhabit that person's spiritless body on his own? Could Brook go back into his own body with the other person's spirit in there? Would Brook be able to possess people who haven't had their spirit removed? If Law removed Brook's spirit and switched it with another person, would Brook be able to leave his new body on his own? If Brook is outside his own body, and someone puts seastone cuffs on him, what happens to his spirit? What if it's Blackbeard who is touching him instead of seastone? What if someone throws Brook's spiritless body into the sea?

Edit: more

Could Kuma push a person's spirit out of their body? Could he push a shadow?

d[-.-]b fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Sep 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="450691559"]

Could Kuma push a person's spirit out of their body? Could he push a shadow?

He pushed out the abstract notion of "exhaustion" and "pain" from Luffy's body so... yes.

Kuma's DF is so comically overpowered that, while on one hand I thought he was an awesome character, on the other I hope he never comes back because he would unbalance pretty much everything.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Finishing up Little Garden, is there ever any kind of basis given for Ms. Goldenweek's color trap power?

I'm not super invested in this question having an answer, just mildly curious.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

some colors are just soothing to look at. some other colors make you very angry

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Bad Seafood posted:

Finishing up Little Garden, is there ever any kind of basis given for Ms. Goldenweek's color trap power?

I'm not super invested in this question having an answer, just mildly curious.

Nah. It's just neat.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

That's what I figured, and that's fine.

I just didn't know if it was gonna end up being a "Thing" like how Kuro's super speed is really just a poor man's version of something some other guy allegedly does later (haven't read that far, I just know there's another, better speedster coming up).

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

quote:

R: I have a question, no introductions. Did Miss Goldenweek eat one of those fruits?

O: No, she... how should I say this? She's kind of like a hypnotist. Those people use suggestion, and "color" in this case, to excite people and calm people, and when revved up enough can use these skills as attacks, but they do not have Devil Fruit Powers.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

It doesn't really make much sense, since she can hypnotize Luffy by painting his back. How can it have a hypnotic effect if he can't actually see the color?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Silver2195 posted:

It doesn't really make much sense, since she can hypnotize Luffy by painting his back. How can it have a hypnotic effect if he can't actually see the color?

Luffy's really, really stupid.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gyges posted:

That didn't really make any sense when it happened with Ace. Why did it just start burning when he was in Impell Down? Like, how does it differentiate between the guy being in a prison and chilling out at the bottom of the Moby Dick? Get the poo poo kicked out of him in an island wide fight with Blackbeard, that makes sense to cause your vivre card to react.

Do vivre cards magically repair themselves? Like if Ace hadn't given in to the weakest, most obvious, taunting since Marty McFly was called a chicken, would Luffy's bit of the card have unburned itself?

did you forget that everyone in impel down gets tortured all the time

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I really don't get this whole random dumb out of nowhere "we don't want to be heroes" thing with Fishman Island, like they've saved entire countries and islands and partied with them after and had feasts celebrating them as heroic saviors. Where was this attitude on Water 7? Just feels out of character.

anyway now that I'm done that was a decent arc (and as always with OP all the end of the arc world building stuff was awesome) even if the enemies felt inconsequential (Hody or whatever wasn't even a visually/conceptually cool OP villain for me, which has to be a first...also how the hell is that pedophile Dutchman even alive? C'mon Oda, him dying was a major plot point with the Noah thing...I guess he just "passed out").
It really was just "check out our new powers as we own everyone"' as someone mentioned earlier so that did kill a lot of the tension...but I liked how it wasn't too long of an arc and I liked the Sun Pirates flashback.
I think I missed a lot of the disappointment others felt because Fishman Island was never this big deal I was looking forward to during this reread...like sure they mentioned it a few times and have been meaning to go there but most of that was "oooh I wanna see a mermaid", it didn't really feel super built up ala Berserk's Fairy Island...just a cool future place they mentioned wanting to go to and it was okay/fun enough I reckon. Seeing past Arlong and Jinbe as well as Fisher Tiger was cool and I really like the idea of Jinbe becoming a member of the crew (he's way more interesting, compelling, and multi-dimensional than "I do bone jokes and my dream is meeting this whale we could drive over and meet in a couple days", Brook's fine but he's the kind of gimmicky character you expect to only last an arc and then just get cool cover stories, not become a permanent member of the crew).

p.s. Poor Wadatsumi :(

p.p.s. Pappug is my dude :cool:

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
The thing about the straw hats being heroes is that just sort of incidentally happens. Everything they've done has always been for a friend. If I remember right, them helping Vivi started out as a job before she also became their friend.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Allarion posted:

The thing about the straw hats being heroes is that just sort of incidentally happens. Everything they've done has always been for a friend. If I remember right, them helping Vivi started out as a job before she also became their friend.

It's this. Luffy doesn't care about people he doesn't know personally. He doesn't care about the long-term consequences of his actions, either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Kidd/law waiting to see what completely mental thing the straw hats would do and the realisation that of course they'd have a reputation for it is one of my favourite bits of the manga

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

I like how Mr. 11 is literally just Speedwagon.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Also yeah, I just remembered that Luffy practically never knows anyone's backstory when he decides to punch the villain in the face, because he always falls asleep when it's told.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Allarion posted:

Right and he did it for his friend the mermaid princess, tho even motivations aside it's weird to see them afterwards being all uncomfortable with the label hero when they've been celebrated as heroes at feasts before. It's just something you'd think would have come up

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

Allarion posted:

Also yeah, I just remembered that Luffy practically never knows anyone's backstory when he decides to punch the villain in the face, because he always falls asleep when it's told.
Luffy doesn't need to know the specifics.

If they hurt his friends and his friends need help, that's all that matters.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The ultimate example of Luffy's mindset is Skypiea. After saving two cultures and ending a centuries long war, Luffy turns to his friends after the big party and says "Ok...now lets steal their poo poo and run away!". Of course the joke is the people are in the middle of deciding to give them waaay more gold than the crew ends up taking, but at the end of the day that is who Luffy is. Help people out if it comes up, whatever, just make sure you steal their poo poo and run away. He's never really accepted being a hero, and most people don't call him that to his face. They thank him for saving their <blank> or whatever, but they save the hero talk for themselves. The feasts are just "And all that terrible business is over, now we party!" as far as he's concerned. He's a pirate. He wants to be a pirate, with all that that means. As he says, a hero is a person that goes around giving other people food. Luffy wants all the food for himself. The fact he would probably use a lot of that food to have his cook make a giant feast for everyone is irrelevant.

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

TheFallenEvincar posted:

Right and he did it for his friend the mermaid princess, tho even motivations aside it's weird to see them afterwards being all uncomfortable with the label hero when they've been celebrated as heroes at feasts before. It's just something you'd think would have come up

Fishman Island was kind of an exception because of the political aspect. Luffy was pumped to punch Hody in the face, but then Jinbei started complicating matters with the hero plan and tried to tell him when and how to punch Hody in the face, and Luffy doesn't much appreciate that kind of complex bullshit even from a friend. Also this was basically half the country openly calling for his help whereas in, say, Alabasta and even Water 7 (where the city itself wasn't really under immediate threat aside from the attempted murder of the mayor) the crew was more of a behind-the-scenes force. I understand where you're coming from and like many things, Oda could have handled that part of Fishman Island better, but I kinda get what he was trying to do.

Boogaleeboo posted:

The ultimate example of Luffy's mindset is Skypiea. After saving two cultures and ending a centuries long war, Luffy turns to his friends after the big party and says "Ok...now lets steal their poo poo and run away!". Of course the joke is the people are in the middle of deciding to give them waaay more gold than the crew ends up taking, but at the end of the day that is who Luffy is. Help people out if it comes up, whatever, just make sure you steal their poo poo and run away. He's never really accepted being a hero, and most people don't call him that to his face. They thank him for saving their <blank> or whatever, but they save the hero talk for themselves. The feasts are just "And all that terrible business is over, now we party!" as far as he's concerned. He's a pirate. He wants to be a pirate, with all that that means. As he says, a hero is a person that goes around giving other people food. Luffy wants all the food for himself. The fact he would probably use a lot of that food to have his cook make a giant feast for everyone is irrelevant.

Haha yeah I was about to make this example too. What a fantastic end to that arc.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Jose posted:

did you forget that everyone in impel down gets tortured all the time

In secret level 6 you just hang out in your cell, bored and shackled to the wall. The other 5 levels are full of torture. Once you pass the entrance torture hazing you just get bored and talk to other super notorious guys in other cells.

Sometimes the warden comes down and gets pissed so he sprays the place with poison, but that's pretty rare. Even if there's an escape attempt they just douse the place with knock out gas.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Gyges posted:

In secret level 6 you just hang out in your cell, bored and shackled to the wall. The other 5 levels are full of torture. Once you pass the entrance torture hazing you just get bored and talk to other super notorious guys in other cells.

Sometimes the warden comes down and gets pissed so he sprays the place with poison, but that's pretty rare. Even if there's an escape attempt they just douse the place with knock out gas.

I think the idea is that spending your life with the sorts of maniacs who end up in Level 6 is way worse than anything else they can do to you. Especially since, IIRC, you have to... uhh... make your own food.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Gyges posted:

Nah, if I remember right they pretty regularly send down like the Minotaurus and such down to beat on them with a giant spiked club.

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011
They apparently "baptized" every Level 6 prisoner in a giant vat of boiling water. So it wasn't all sunshine and roses down there.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Speaking of superfluous characters, I still wonder what the bigger narrative purpose of Kinemon and Momonosuke are. For characters that are temporarily sailing with the straw hats, I tend to forget they exist. Arguably they're the Vivi for the New World, but they're hasn't been any real buildup as to where their endpoint is like there was with Vivi and Alabasta. Also Law fits the Vivi role more at this point.

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
They're samurai from the country Wano, which Zoro is definitely going to get something (a new sword? New techniques?) from, and they also have business at Zou, their current destination. It's also been hinted that they have something to resolve with Kaidou.

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
No way a new sword the 3 have too much personality. At best they get explained better.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Prison Warden posted:

Nah, if I remember right they pretty regularly send down like the Minotaurus and such down to beat on them with a giant spiked club.

Ace's vivre card is still burning down as he's just standing in an elevator, sitting on a ship, and then sitting on a scaffold. Considering the vivre cards does simply grow back once the danger is gone, it's probably some sort of 4th wall breaking magical knowledge.

Or you could just keep your own card around like a hacked Spidey sense. poo poo guys, we're in deep poo poo. My vivre card is smoking, watch out for an ambush!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Veskit posted:

No way a new sword the 3 have too much personality. At best they get explained better.

i would guess the loguetown sword becomes meito

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Veskit posted:

Yeah would be good to get some back story on the swords, if there are any. Wano will probably be Zoro's time to shine.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

Gyges posted:

Ace's vivre card is still burning down as he's just standing in an elevator, sitting on a ship, and then sitting on a scaffold. Considering the vivre cards does simply grow back once the danger is gone, it's probably some sort of 4th wall breaking magical knowledge.

Or you could just keep your own card around like a hacked Spidey sense. poo poo guys, we're in deep poo poo. My vivre card is smoking, watch out for an ambush!

It's loving magic you nerds

Keven. Just. Keven
May 25, 2010

MY GOD. THE WILL... THE FIGHTING SPIRIT... JUST WHEN YOU THINK IT'S OVER, TSM COMES BACK STRONGER THAN EVER.

AnonSpore posted:

It's loving magic you nerds

It's will power. It's NOT magic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Hah it may be cheap entertainment but I'm at the Hazard Punk arc and the bodyswitching is the most fun I've had in a while :lol:

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Keven. Just. Keven posted:

It's will power. It's NOT magic.

One Piece: Will Power Is Magic.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Seriously I'd keep them like this for like two arcs (they could gain valuable skills through the adversity of learning to fight in each other's bodies), the Franky as Chopper facial expressions alone

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Gyges posted:

I thought the vivre card depicted your physical condition as much as your mental condition. As the execution approached, Ace was close to giving up on life, so even if he was physically fine then it would still burn down because he lost the will to live.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

My favorite thing about Punk Hazard is how annoyed Robin gets by Franky in Chopper's body.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

MrAristocrates posted:

My favorite thing about Punk Hazard is how annoyed Robin gets by Franky in Chopper's body.
It really is the best.

I think Nico Robin might actually be my favorite Strawhat, her character development and backstory provides some of the most memorable story arcs in the series, and one of my favorite badass moments is her refusing to forgive and then punishing that one Sky Priest who desecrated ancient ruins.

:drat:
Just straight up smoked that dude.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Robin rules and it's a serious shame she hasn't had another moment like that ever since. It's downright criminal how underused she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Her flying, refusing to join the combining mecha and threatening to rip off Frankie's balls are some of my favorite moments in the series.