Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
acksplode
May 17, 2004

Rocco posted:

When I see people complaining about "this isn't a true Metal Gear game"

I just feel like... okay Hideo could keep making the same game over and over or he can make something different... and he did and I had a lot of fun playing it.

Maybe I'm nuts but for me, MGS4 ended this whole saga so conclusively that I didn't care that this game was a weird detour in any way.

I can sort of understand how people might have hoped MGSV would have taken them on a ride in the same way the other games in the series did. But I don't know where people got that expectation in the first place since Konami marketed it so clearly as a less linear and more player-driven open-world game. I was a little disappointed by the relative lack of narrative compared to the abundance of gameplay, but nothing about the game's structure surprised me at all. When compared to say Assassin's Creed, MGSV feels metal gear as gently caress to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
MGSV is a real Metal Gear game. It's also the best Metal Gear game. I'm sorry there was too much gameplay for some of you.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

OatmealRaisin posted:

MGSV is a real Metal Gear game. It's also the best Metal Gear game. I'm sorry there was too much gameplay for some of you.

Second best. MGS1 is king.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Snake Eater is both the best Metal Gear game and the best video game.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Snake Eater is both the best Metal Gear game and the best video game.

I also had that opinion for a few years, until MGS4 came out. Now MGSV is the best, naturally. I do think each game does something the best, none is definitively best in every aspect.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

I don't know why "I beat the sniper boss on Extreme without moving" is a criticism, I'm pretty sure everyone itt has cheesed Sniper Wolf with nikitas at least once

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007
MGS3 is great but not being able to move and aim a gun is really hard to go back to.

MGSV is the best Metal Gear game. Snake Eater is the best Metal Gear story.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Party Boat posted:

I don't know why "I beat the sniper boss on Extreme without moving" is a criticism, I'm pretty sure everyone itt has cheesed Sniper Wolf with nikitas at least once

There are like, 5 bosses across the entire series that you can't easily cheese without taking a single hit on the hardest difficulty.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

Yeah, I mean, in Snake Eater, you could beat the sniper boss by waiting. Or changing the date on your PS2. Cheesing sniper fights in mgs is not a new thing. Or unintentional.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

There are like, 5 bosses across the entire series that you can't easily cheese without taking a single hit on the hardest difficulty.

I still maintain the hardest boss in all of MGS is Fatman on EuroEx. There is ZERO margin of error on that fight, and bad bomb spawn points can mean you basically can't win.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

I still maintain the hardest boss in all of MGS is Fatman on EuroEx.

I somehow got very lucky with him and he only planted 1 set of bombs the entire fight, which made him tough but managable. Then I saw videos of other people doing it on Youtube and it looked way, way harder. The second phase of the Solidus fight was also very rough because I was terrible at the choke-out section and only ended up with enough life to take two hits.

The Raven tank battle was surprisingly tough on my MGS1 Big Boss run, mostly because it's the least predictable boss in the game and your grenades don't always go exactly where you want them to.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

I somehow got very lucky with him and he only planted 1 set of bombs the entire fight, which made him tough but managable. Then I saw videos of other people doing it on Youtube and it looked way, way harder. The second phase of the Solidus fight was also very rough because I was terrible at the choke-out section and only ended up with enough life to take two hits.

The Raven tank battle was surprisingly tough on my MGS1 Big Boss run, mostly because it's the least predictable boss in the game and your grenades don't always go exactly where you want them to.

yeah, throwing grenades in mgs1 is... not fun to do.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I hated the fatman fight in MGS2. It was annoying in the worst way. The series has some annoying fights, but most of them are annoying in the way that you must be patient and smart. So at least you appreciate the fact that you did the tactical thing and dealt with the annoyance to win, like you would on the battlefield. Fatman fight was just poo poo.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Sure, MGSV lacks interminable codec calls that ruin the pacing of the game, good boss fights and, well, a proper ending, but everything else is in there:

- Mission handlers, with encyclopedic knowledge of the fauna, who treat you like you're a legit retarded person
- Ridiculous amount of tools and gadgets (that you will probably only use once) to gently caress with guards
- The ability to headshot dudes a thousand miles away with the tranq gun
- Homoeroticism
- Dumb anime bullshit
- Cardboard boxes
- War is bad message
- Predictable plot twist
- Poop humor
- Breasts that you can zoom on
- Tactical espionage
- Unnecessary retcons
- Fan service
- Hideo Kojima

How is this not a real MGS game?

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

MGSV is a great Metal Gear game, and a great game. I just wish it had fun boss fights. I got so used to fighting the Skulls that I cringed when I saw them in the credits.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Because it doesn't follow the plot of my 10,000 word fan fiction.

edit: I mean, there isn't even a scene where Big Boss flies to Alaska and wins an ear-pulling contest against a teenaged Vulcan Raven who is also now 1/2 Navajo and Code Talker's son.

Grizzled Patriarch fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Sep 26, 2015

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Because it doesn't follow the plot of my 10,000 word fan fiction.

edit: I mean, there isn't even a scene where Big Boss flies to Alaska and wins an ear-pulling contest against a teenaged Vulcan Raven who is also now 1/2 Navajo and Code Talker's son.

Don't jump to conclusions yet, the fine folks on NeverBeGameOver aren't done analyzing the tapes with 30 year old computers, or whatever the gently caress it is that they're doing.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

The Human Crouton posted:

MGSV is a great Metal Gear game, and a great game. I just wish it had fun boss fights. I got so used to fighting the Skulls that I cringed when I saw them in the credits.

those credits at the start of every mission were stupid, whoever came up with them is an idiot. they basically spoil what's going to happen. Maybe have them pop up only on a replay or something, but come on

Luckily I managed to completely avoid the ones on Traitor's Caravan, so when the Skulls burst out of the truck I was actually surprised for once

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

acksplode posted:

I can sort of understand how people might have hoped MGSV would have taken them on a ride in the same way the other games in the series did. But I don't know where people got that expectation in the first place since Konami marketed it so clearly as a less linear and more player-driven open-world game. I was a little disappointed by the relative lack of narrative compared to the abundance of gameplay, but nothing about the game's structure surprised me at all. When compared to say Assassin's Creed, MGSV feels metal gear as gently caress to me.
It has the same amount of cutscenes as other MGS games they're just really confused and bewildered because it has hundreds of hours of gameplay to go along with it instead of, like, five.

Shitty Wizard
Jan 2, 2013

ASK ME WHY
I VOTED
FOR TRUMP

McDragon posted:

those credits at the start of every mission were stupid, whoever came up with them is an idiot. they basically spoil what's going to happen. Maybe have them pop up only on a replay or something, but come on

Luckily I managed to completely avoid the ones on Traitor's Caravan, so when the Skulls burst out of the truck I was actually surprised for once

It would have been great if they had surprise additional credit mid-mission. So it's like "huh, some random jerks, whatever", then when the Skulls show up they could have had a credit for them right there and then.

Instead, all the cards are on the table at all times.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The credits were fun when mission 6 let you know that poo poo was going down and things are getting real. After mission 6, the credits should have stopped though.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Does having the butterfly emblem actually change what happens to Quiet? It seems really weird that you can keep her that way.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

SeANMcBAY posted:

Does having the butterfly emblem actually change what happens to Quiet? It seems really weird that you can keep her that way.

Yep, it works. I did remove it eventually though to see the rest of the story.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

SeANMcBAY posted:

It just makes it so the quest where she leaves doesn't trigger. It prevents you from getting 100%.

Yeah Bro
Feb 4, 2012

The "Not My Metal Gear!!!" arguments are strange, 'cuz they claim a particular, prescriptivist definition for Metal Gear without ever actually defining what that definition is. It divides the world into Metal Gear and Not Metal Gear, but it doesn't provide criteria for interpreting if something is Metal Gear or not. It basically allows for an arbitrary denial of things as being Metal Gear, based on the whims of the particular poster.

By any reasonable definition, MGSV is a Metal Gear game. It has themes of population control, the establishment of the Military Industrial complex and the discursively pliable nature of legacy, as seen in all other Metal Gear games. From an aesthetic angle, it falls slightly less camp than the rest of the series, but is still identifiably Metal Gear in nature. The gameplay is a natural evolution of the gameplay in the fourth game combined with the norms of its time of production. It may not be the fanfiction Metal Gear these fans wanted, but it is undeniably still Metal Gear.

So, what's the benefit of denying something as being "Not Metal Gear"? Regardless of if you accept it as being Metal Gear or not, the game still exists. One person's personal understanding of the work doesn't impact on its physical existence in the world. It's not even a form of closure for people who somehow ended up being genuinely upset for stupid reasons about the game, as they are not allowing themselves to retroactively examine the qualities of the text and to understand that, at the very least, they were over-reacting. (I wonder if these fans will be the sort of people who still get genuinely angry at this game a decade down the line, like with Star Wars fans and the PT?)

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

I was kinda disappointed that the Moby Dick stuff didn't really pan out. I was expecting this dark tale about Venom sacrificing everything to kill Skull Face, but uh, it pretty much worked out how he wanted? The game ended with an intact Mother Base and his own personal army alive and intact. I thought he was going to kill his own soldiers if they got in his way, but the only time he fought them was when they were infected with a horrible virus that could kill billions of people if it escaped. I was expecting him to be consumed by vengeance and anger, but he manages to ride in a car with Skull Face for ten minutes without speaking, just listening to him talk.

If there was anyone that fit the Moby Dick theme, it was Miller. He was frothing at the mouth when it came to Quiet and Huey, and even if he was right about Huey, it still felt like he was someone that was permanently damaged – physically and emotionally – and his anger was the only thing keeping him afloat. Venom was just too passive for what I was expecting – I ended up surprised that even spoke during the trial, because I thought he would just pull some kind of Zelda thing and nod or gesture.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
PC FOBs are now so full of hackers that I'm seriously considering setting my FOB to Non-Lethal because stun damage is the only thing that can actually defeat people with infinite health and machinegun stun grenades that they are immune to. The Uragan Air is the best weapon on defense because the lumbering invincible behemoths try to rush you down for CQC and you smack them with a blast of compressed air and Fulton them out. This and getting them in a chokehold are the only ways to win. :thumbsup:

But I worry a Non-Lethal FOB is too easily exploited by just getting somewhere the guards can't apprehend you and murdering them while occasionally waking yourself up.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

The attacker gets more health than the defender. There is a good chance most of your "hackers" are just a mixture of luck and lag.

e: in particular with the fat suit. That poo poo gives absurd damage resistance.

Thinky Whale
Aug 2, 2012

All that most maddens and torments; all that stirs up the lees of things; all truth with malice in it; all that cracks the sinews and cakes the brain; all the subtle demonisms of life and thought; all evil were visibly personified, and made practically assailable in Fry.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If there was anyone that fit the Moby Dick theme, it was Miller. He was frothing at the mouth when it came to Quiet and Huey, and even if he was right about Huey, it still felt like he was someone that was permanently damaged – physically and emotionally – and his anger was the only thing keeping him afloat.

For a while there I was honestly suspecting that there was some switcheroo going on and Kaz was the real Big Boss, since he was the one giving all the speeches and doing the whole obsessed with revenge thing. He's almost more the main character than Snake is. Revenge was advertised heavily as the theme, but Snake didn't seem that into it at all.

PW made Kaz one of my favorite characters, so I was glad he got over it after the quarantine tent mission and didn't go permanently crazy or anything. It bummed me out that he ends up screwed over so bad by Big Boss and Ocelot, though. Dick move, BB.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Non-lethal probably won't help anyway because cheaters can give themselves functional invisibility to guards (by mimicking the chicken hat), crazy speed boosts + no clip, and apparently the ability to instantly knock out all of the guards as soon as they spawn in.

Basically, play on PS4 or hope that this big FOB-focused update will incorporate some form of cheat detection. There was also that "report form" notice that actually just re-directed you to Konami's home page, so maybe in a few months' time they will have whatever random janitor is now in charge of the FOB stuff flip the switch and turn on VAC or something.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Domattee posted:

The attacker gets more health than the defender. There is a good chance most of your "hackers" are just a mixture of luck and lag.

e: in particular with the fat suit. That poo poo gives absurd damage resistance.
Everyone I fight seems to use the Sneaking Suit. If it had been Battle Dress I would've just shrugged it off as that. Regardless, being immune to stun grenades including your own seems fishy, at least if spammed. Normally if I tag a guy with a stun grenade of my own from an underbarrel he's out like a light or severely debilitated. I've also met guys who can eat most of a Kabarga clip and rush me down, which is part of the reason I switched to a stun shotgun. So far I've never been let down by the Uragan, 1-2 shots drops somebody into STN without a fuss. I don't know if that's because you can't hack stamina or what, but it's a lot more reliable than going for a kill and once you're down you can't do much to avoid being Fultoned, which can happen even with infinite health.

I'm 100% positive I've been invaded by cheaters, though I was never online for the most egregious ones. I've got a log of a guy just sprinting straight to the core door across 4 platforms and not drawing any suspicion, and I timed it to make sure he'd have to be at a full sprint the whole way. That's impossible without all the guards ignoring you. Also a lot of people who invade and seem to be invisible, never detected and CQCing and Fultoning a guard every 4 seconds. It's not impossible to lure a bunch of guards into a big pileup, but avoiding even being noticed one time (which would create an "Intruder Detected" entry in the log) when you're Fultoning guards constantly just doesn't strike me as reasonable.

I've never caught people like that, but some people have.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Smirking_Serpent posted:

If there was anyone that fit the Moby Dick theme, it was Miller. He was frothing at the mouth when it came to Quiet and Huey, and even if he was right about Huey, it still felt like he was someone that was permanently damaged – physically and emotionally – and his anger was the only thing keeping him afloat. Venom was just too passive for what I was expecting – I ended up surprised that even spoke during the trial, because I thought he would just pull some kind of Zelda thing and nod or gesture.

No to mention, Miller lost a leg/foot, which is what Ahab lost.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Technically he was right about Quiet too. They just got lucky that she didn't decide to speak and wipe out DD.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
I just had the clutchiest of clutch victories in an FOB.

I was playing badly the entire time. I'm amazed I made it to the end in the first place.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
The game-breaking continues from prenatual- he's figured out how to get No Traces on Quiet, as well as how to give Venom Snake the body he's always secretly wished for.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I was browsing through some of the TPP trailers and videos and one of them starts playing Quiet's Theme again oh no oh nooooooo :cry:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

The credits before/after every mission are the most circle jerk thing I have ever seen in a video game.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I love it. It's like Kojima went 'FIRE ME WILL YOU?!'

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

"GUEST STARRING THE SPETSNAZ COMMANDER" is still my favorite thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

GUEST STARRING

The "Skulls" Parasite Unit

:argh:

• Locked thread