Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

goatface posted:

But which ones are good?

From what I've read, on the tabletop the Crusader and Redeemer are the most popular due to their superior troop transporting capabilities and blob-shredding weapons. The others all seem to call into "Cool if you have the points, but there are usually more efficient ways to fill its niche."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Night10194 posted:

The Terminus Ultra is so heavily armed that firing all the cannons at once has a chance of exploding the drat thing.
+1 Ork Approved.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Also hey, I know we've mostly been talking about DoW1, but since DoW2 is on sale too, I'd love to play some multiplayer of that game too. And that game has its own super mod, though it's pretty easy to install. (The elite mod)

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
For another bit of lore/gameplay, most vehicles in 40k have a variety of weapon options you can equip them with but only the Imperium regularly attaches a name to each variant. Take the Leman Russ tank of the Imperial Guard (and, in older editions, the Space Wolves) and its variants:

Battle Tank: The vanilla Russ, armed with a battle cannon. Vanilla, and widely regarded as the best because the battle cannon is a highly versatile weapon suitable for any and every target.

Vanquisher: Armed with a long-range anti-tank cannon. A specialized tool, rarely used on the tabletop without certain extra additions or modifications.

Exterminator: Twin-linked autocannon, suitable for wrecking infantry, light vehicles, and aircraft. This is the version the Space Wolves had for a while, but these days rarely used by the Guard who have better uses for their Russes and better options for this niche.

Eradicator: Fires nuclear shells, which ignore cover but otherwise are less effective in all respects than the basic Russ. Has its uses but once again the vanilla model is preferred.

Demolisher: Carries a demolisher cannon as the name implies, much more powerful than the basic battle cannon but much shorter ranged. Popular and effective, if a big fire magnet.

Punisher: A gatling cannon, fun but like the Vanquisher rarely seen without certain modifications.

Executioner: If you've played Retribution, you know this. Plasma Cannon. Powerful and popular but quite a bit more expensive than the basic Russ.

Conqueror: Fast Russ, with a weaker gun. You rarely need an especially fast Russ, but always need one with a big gun.

Annihilator: Twin-linked lascannon. Same niche as the Vanquisher and same issues.

Incinerator: Volkite Demi-Culverin. Unique to the 30k environment and a very specialized (albeit devastating) anti-infantry option.

Other races just have a set of options. The Hammerhead gunship featured for the Tau in this game, for example, comes exclusively with a railgun and twin-linked burst cannon. In the tabletop, however, the hammerhead can swap the railgun for an ion cannon, two long-barreled burst cannons, two twin-linked missile pods, two fusion cannons, or two plasma cannons, and swap the secondary burst cannons for two gun drones or a twin-linked smart missile system (think a Skyray).

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

They are why we can say...

Victory.
Volkite! That's the weapon name I was looking for. Given how the weapon's effects are described, I'm mildly surprised the fluff for it has it as one of the Emperor's designs that didn't quite make the cut for standard issue due to cost overruns. Since it's described as essentially a heat-ray from War of the Worlds, I was expecting the fluff to list the source as something the AdMech delivered from Mars, but glossed over where exactly they got it:

:science: "Behold, we present this latest bounty of the Omnissiah! Arm your troops with it, and they cannot fail!"
:catholic: "Brilliant, Magos! Your development teams have outdone themselves."
:science: "...Yes. Our development teams. We will be sure to pass along your praise."
:catholic: "Wait, what was that hesitation about?"
:science: "Praise the Omnissiah!"

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Volkite weapons are serious poo poo, they can punch holes right through a Space Marine in a single shot (and then turn said Space Marine into a torch.) They're extremely difficult to actually manufacture though, so they were replaced by the much more easily constructed Bolter by the time the Horus Heresy came around. Volkite tech actually dates to back to during or before the Age of Strife, which explains why it is both so incredibly deadly and so hard to manufacture more of.

AFAIK only the Techpriests of Mars could make Volkite weapons and even then they couldn't make very many.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I jumped into another game today to get the proper Space Marine prices in UA.

Tactical Marine (your base unit) 250 Req and 3 Pop for 2 Tactical marines Reinforcing is 125 Req. a Sergeant is 140/25. And Apothecary is 110/30 and a Banner Bearer is 110/30. So if you're going to cap out a Marine Squad you're minimum cost is 500/55 On top of the 250 you already paid.
Assault Marine (your Dancer) 270 Req and 3 Pop for 2 Assault Marines. Very limited tactical application. Reinforcing is 135. a Sergeant is 140/25. So bringing an Assault Marine up to scratch costs 410/25 on top of everything else.
Brother Captain or Force Commander 480 Req and 70 Energy They come out pretty weak until you start buying hero gear though.

And loving hilariously enough, pretty much unkillable by early infantry

Attack Bike 125 Req 25 Energy and 1 Vehicle. But it can't be reinforced (Not that that matters since It costs over 100 Req to reinforce the Space Marine and Assault Marine.

Your basic Scout squad costs 100 Req for the record. But they are pretty pathetic.

We also have the Combat Servitor once you have the armory. for 105/45 and 2 Unit cap. They're basically Servitors with bolters strapped to them. I've never found much use for them, I guess they're Devastators before Devastators and more spammable?

Now lets look at the next tier. the Chaplain is 300 Req and 70 En, which is fine, since it doesn't gain Orbital Bombardment or Plasma bombs like the BC/FC. The Techmarine (an elite builder) is 240/35.

Now we get Devastator Marines, For 280/40 and 4 Unit cap. for again, 2 Devastators. My main problem with the army is that even at the later tiers, you're only getting 2 quality marines on purchase, and reinforcing is loving slow at higher tiers, as is building. So if you're under attack they're a drat sight bloody useless. We also gain access to a Thunderfire Cannon which is a leader option for a few groups. It's 140/200 1 Vehicle and is good against aircraft and vehicles. Again, I've never had much use for them.

That is my initial summation of the Space Marine early game. They'd be fine if they didn't crumble like wet paper before stealth suits.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sounds like they are trying to make the Space Marines 'lore accurate' and demonstrating why that is a bad idea.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Assault Marines aren't usually dancers. Dancers implies the unit in question can move and shoot effectively, a form of kiting enemy melee units. If UA is anything like standard DoW, you just jump the assault marine into the shootiest part of the enemy army, drop frag grenades and let them do their stuff. With Space Marines, you have your basic marines cover each other, moving whichever unit is targeted by melee units.

Don't know how well UA would treat Space Marines in the first place; I've always thought that the strength of that army, both in fluff and gamewise, was in their basic unit (tactical squads, not scouts). If you're facing Tau, seems Assault Marines would be your best bet. In DC and Soulstorm, a firefight between these armies can go either way, so using Assault to get an early positioning advantage might be all that you need.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Neige posted:

Assault Marines aren't usually dancers. Dancers implies the unit in question can move and shoot effectively, a form of kiting enemy melee units. If UA is anything like standard DoW, you just jump the assault marine into the shootiest part of the enemy army, drop frag grenades and let them do their stuff. With Space Marines, you have your basic marines cover each other, moving whichever unit is targeted by melee units.

Don't know how well UA would treat Space Marines in the first place; I've always thought that the strength of that army, both in fluff and gamewise, was in their basic unit (tactical squads, not scouts). If you're facing Tau, seems Assault Marines would be your best bet. In DC and Soulstorm, a firefight between these armies can go either way, so using Assault to get an early positioning advantage might be all that you need.

well Assault Marines can be given flamers and Plasma Guns, but as well they have the ability to, when far enough away and engaging in melee, jump into the enemy which typically whittles things down. My problem with the Tau right now is by the time I'm in a position to solidify Tier 1 (I.E. I have enough resources coming in to make some progress) they have Broadsides and Crisis Suits.

EDIT: I did finally beat the map by forgoing everything and hammering "Auto-Build" for Assault Marines, and just swarming. Which I dislike, I don't want to necessarily have to swarm to win.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Sep 27, 2015

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Onmi posted:

EDIT: I did finally beat the map by forgoing everything and hammering "Auto-Build" for Assault Marines, and just swarming. Which I dislike, I don't want to necessarily have to swarm to win.

Play 'Nids, that the whole strategy there :)

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Neruz posted:

Sounds like they are trying to make the Space Marines 'lore accurate' and demonstrating why that is a bad idea.

It more sounds like they didn't go far enough. DoW2 does a great job at making fluff accurate Space Marines, but the difference is that squads there start at full strength, so your 500 req Tac squad is at full models, and when you compare them to anything but GK they are amazing. Considering Heavy Armor gave reduction from piercing and flamer dps, the only weakness in t1 would be power melee (mainly banshees, sluggas with burnas, and some heroes.)

Onmi posted:

well Assault Marines can be given flamers and Plasma Guns, but as well they have the ability to, when far enough away and engaging in melee, jump into the enemy which typically whittles things down. My problem with the Tau right now is by the time I'm in a position to solidify Tier 1 (I.E. I have enough resources coming in to make some progress) they have Broadsides and Crisis Suits.

:wtc: Assault marines with ranged weapons? I don't even...

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eimi posted:

It more sounds like they didn't go far enough. DoW2 does a great job at making fluff accurate Space Marines, but the difference is that squads there start at full strength, so your 500 req Tac squad is at full models, and when you compare them to anything but GK they are amazing. Considering Heavy Armor gave reduction from piercing and flamer dps, the only weakness in t1 would be power melee (mainly banshees, sluggas with burnas, and some heroes.)

:wtc: Assault marines with ranged weapons? I don't even...

Assault Marines can have ranged equipment. in DoW2 you could give Thaddeus a flamer as well.

EDIT: If someone else has the mod installed I'd love to try multiplayer with it. Vs the AI really only has two outcomes.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

Assault Marines can have ranged equipment. in DoW2 you could give Thaddeus a flamer as well.

EDIT: If someone else has the mod installed I'd love to try multiplayer with it. Vs the AI really only has two outcomes.

Any anyone who does give Thaddeus a flamer is a dirty heretic. :colbert:

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Onmi posted:

A hilarious build for ranged thaddeus in DoW2 was flamer + stun on hit perk + flamer that doesn't reload. I've never used it myself but supposedly he could stunlock whole blobs of enemy infantry by himself and then trivialize bosses.

VVV Melee Thad has it rough on higher difficulties until you hit max disciplines but you can ease things up by making him attack enemy ranged exclusively

hard counter fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Sep 27, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Due to Thaddeus being fragile as gently caress in DoW2 it's actually pretty much definitively better to give him a flamer and spec him for ranged combat than it is to try and make him do things in melee.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So a bit of exploring with the Land Raiders... it's still not clear enough when you first produce them. What's the difference between the Crusader and the Prometheus after all? Well the Crusader does 400-560 and the Promethus does 160-213 but can detect infiltrators?

Also some units don't give a good account for themselves. Predator Mk.II? Says it's effective against Infantry, Buildings and Moral. It has a Plasma Cannon upgrade and a lascannon upgrade for its arms. Mk.I? Says it isn't effective against anything, has a Lascannon upgrade for everything.

I am, if it can be said, both too swamped for choice and not given enough variety. I'm just bad at learning armies I guess.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Neruz posted:

Due to Thaddeus being fragile as gently caress in DoW2 it's actually pretty much definitively better to give him a flamer and spec him for ranged combat than it is to try and make him do things in melee.

The easy path is the path of Chaos. Who are you to not suffer for the Emperor? (And or not take Davian Coole)

Onmi posted:

So a bit of exploring with the Land Raiders... it's still not clear enough when you first produce them. What's the difference between the Crusader and the Prometheus after all? Well the Crusader does 400-560 and the Promethus does 160-213 but can detect infiltrators?

Also some units don't give a good account for themselves. Predator Mk.II? Says it's effective against Infantry, Buildings and Moral. It has a Plasma Cannon upgrade and a lascannon upgrade for its arms. Mk.I? Says it isn't effective against anything, has a Lascannon upgrade for everything.

I am, if it can be said, both too swamped for choice and not given enough variety. I'm just bad at learning armies I guess.

It could simply be the mod maker either making crappy tooltips, or even more likely, not making new tooltips at all. Given how their wiki is....barren I doubt they went in and exhaustively detailed tooltips to actually explain things.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Eimi posted:

The easy path is the path of Chaos. Who are you to not suffer for the Emperor? (And or not take Davian Coole)

It could simply be the mod maker either making crappy tooltips, or even more likely, not making new tooltips at all. Given how their wiki is....barren I doubt they went in and exhaustively detailed tooltips to actually explain things.

A tutorial would be nice "This makes you more effective against Infantry" "This makes you more effective against Armored" is the only two explanations given when upgrading weapons. Does the former make me better against all infantry, including heavy? Does Armored make me better against Heavy Infantry? All vehicles? Because apparently Flamers are great vs Buildings. But they never say they are.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Onmi posted:

A tutorial would be nice "This makes you more effective against Infantry" "This makes you more effective against Armored" is the only two explanations given when upgrading weapons. Does the former make me better against all infantry, including heavy? Does Armored make me better against Heavy Infantry? All vehicles? Because apparently Flamers are great vs Buildings. But they never say they are.

Yeah that was a weakness of the Dawn of War series in general. It's why I am an advocate of heavy bolters in DoW1 for example, actually looking through the damage numbers (from wikis) they are great, but you'd never know that in game. Hell even DoW2 was obtuse as all gently caress, and it took the Elite modders to actually create tooltips that didn't suck rear end. (Giving exact numbers, detailing what has what defense and what it's weak against, that kind of thing.)

It'd be nice if someone did that for DoW1.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

At the end of the day, they are what makes it happen. They are their factions' military might.

Victory.
Flame damage is weird in DC. Someone who understands how the game sets things up can give a more complete answer, but my experience with them has been mixed.

If you build a Hellhound (as Guard) it gives you some options that adding a flamer to a squad does not really mimic - which is presumably handy, since (in vanilla DC, anyway) Guardsmen don't get access to flamers at all otherwise. It has a special ability that lets you saturate an area in napalmpromethium that will continue to burn for a bit, and cause loads of damage (morale and otherwise) to whatever happens to be standing there.

(As an aside, this is handy for dealing with cloaked units as Guard, because - you guessed it - the computer cheats like a motherfucker. If a unit of stealthed computer-controlled infantry wanders near one of your detectors, your detector will spot whichever enemy soldier was foolish enough to come within view. Stealthed Chaos cultists are the best example of this, but there are plenty, and it usually goes down like this: one enemy trooper will suddenly be visible to your guys, who will obligingly murder the hostile into gibs. But what happens if one of your tankbustas decides to tag "Gorgutz Wuz Heer LOL" on a heavy bolter turret or other detector? Why, the ENTIRE UNIT loses stealth the instant the first guy gets detected, of course, and all the computer players immediately begin hosing down the entire unit.)

Back to Hellhounds - this is a handy ability, because burning promethium is surprisingly indifferent to whether or not a unit is visible. So, if a canny player sees those Predator-style outlines (and hears the war cries) of invisible units, he or she can hose the area down and roast 'em. Useful, though ultimately kind of situational, and subject to a special ability cooldown. Hellhounds have longer range than infantry flamers, but it's not that much better. They seem to do a lot more damage, but that may be because by the time an infantry flamer is in range, the enemy will close to melee, and all ranged options are off the table once your unit engages. (Another area where the computer cheats, incidentally: a squad of yours will either all shoot or all charge into melee, but the computer can order individual soldiers to best effect.)

Hellhounds are also said to be useful against buildings, but I haven't noticed them being particularly good at it. They're not bad, just... I never found them especially notable. Their stream of burning promethium is subject to a miss chance, just like any other attack, and though this chance is low, it's not zero. However, even the Hellhound's standard attack is capable of doing damage over time. It doesn't do a lot - a bit like splash damage, but over time instead of over distance - and the effect doesn't last long, but it's there. So, if a Hellhound attacks a building, it might not do much damage at first, but before too long the building is taking continuous (if variable) damage from the blaze the Hellhound is feeding. It's difficult to notice with units armed with flamers, since the rest of the unit is also causing damage at the same time, but the overall effect is there. It's a neat effect, but if you've broken into an enemy's base and are wrecking his buildings, then you don't usually need an anti-building specialist to finish the job.

Overall, flamers seem to do what they do pretty well - but it's so specialized, and so oddly implemented (given how the rest of the game is set up), that the effect is usually underwhelming, even if it works great behind the scenes.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Flamers slow down enemy infantry. If I'm holding the line as the Space Marines for some reason, a squad of stealth scouts with flamers are a good way to give your shooties an extra second or two (often enough to kill one or two of the closest enemies and extend the time further) before the lines close.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I don't know about mods, but in vanilla flamers do gently caress all against buildings. Hell, even on an Immolator you get the option to refit it to meltas for that - flamers are infantry breakers.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
One major exception: Tau Crisis Suits with heavy flamers can cook an HQ building (or any other building) ridiculously fast. I cheesed the IG stronghold mission that way.

my dad fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Sep 27, 2015

Promontory
Apr 6, 2011
I've been trying out Soulstorm as the evil elves. They really are a rushing race, and fighting stronghold missions as them is a slog. I've been playing the chaos stronghold mission, where you have to break down a magic barrier's five generators before attacking the HQ. Infantry can't heal as far as I know, and vehicles need to be fixed by a slow builder unit which cannot teleport or take damage. Lack of static defenses means having to leave squads or vehicles behind to guard the base, and jumping back to micro their abilities. At least the stronghold intro was, uh, an experience?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

I don't know about mods, but in vanilla flamers do gently caress all against buildings. Hell, even on an Immolator you get the option to refit it to meltas for that - flamers are infantry breakers.

Well in UA Flamers seem to do well in toasting buildings, but piss all against vehicles. They aren't quite as good as Lascannons or Melta, but they're good for shredding. Speaking of Las, they're great for ripping apart fliers.

Pops posted:

Flame damage is weird in DC. Someone who understands how the game sets things up can give a more complete answer, but my experience with them has been mixed.

If you build a Hellhound (as Guard) it gives you some options that adding a flamer to a squad does not really mimic - which is presumably handy, since (in vanilla DC, anyway) Guardsmen don't get access to flamers at all otherwise. It has a special ability that lets you saturate an area in napalmpromethium that will continue to burn for a bit, and cause loads of damage (morale and otherwise) to whatever happens to be standing there.

(As an aside, this is handy for dealing with cloaked units as Guard, because - you guessed it - the computer cheats like a motherfucker. If a unit of stealthed computer-controlled infantry wanders near one of your detectors, your detector will spot whichever enemy soldier was foolish enough to come within view. Stealthed Chaos cultists are the best example of this, but there are plenty, and it usually goes down like this: one enemy trooper will suddenly be visible to your guys, who will obligingly murder the hostile into gibs. But what happens if one of your tankbustas decides to tag "Gorgutz Wuz Heer LOL" on a heavy bolter turret or other detector? Why, the ENTIRE UNIT loses stealth the instant the first guy gets detected, of course, and all the computer players immediately begin hosing down the entire unit.)

Back to Hellhounds - this is a handy ability, because burning promethium is surprisingly indifferent to whether or not a unit is visible. So, if a canny player sees those Predator-style outlines (and hears the war cries) of invisible units, he or she can hose the area down and roast 'em. Useful, though ultimately kind of situational, and subject to a special ability cooldown. Hellhounds have longer range than infantry flamers, but it's not that much better. They seem to do a lot more damage, but that may be because by the time an infantry flamer is in range, the enemy will close to melee, and all ranged options are off the table once your unit engages. (Another area where the computer cheats, incidentally: a squad of yours will either all shoot or all charge into melee, but the computer can order individual soldiers to best effect.)

Hellhounds are also said to be useful against buildings, but I haven't noticed them being particularly good at it. They're not bad, just... I never found them especially notable. Their stream of burning promethium is subject to a miss chance, just like any other attack, and though this chance is low, it's not zero. However, even the Hellhound's standard attack is capable of doing damage over time. It doesn't do a lot - a bit like splash damage, but over time instead of over distance - and the effect doesn't last long, but it's there. So, if a Hellhound attacks a building, it might not do much damage at first, but before too long the building is taking continuous (if variable) damage from the blaze the Hellhound is feeding. It's difficult to notice with units armed with flamers, since the rest of the unit is also causing damage at the same time, but the overall effect is there. It's a neat effect, but if you've broken into an enemy's base and are wrecking his buildings, then you don't usually need an anti-building specialist to finish the job.

Overall, flamers seem to do what they do pretty well - but it's so specialized, and so oddly implemented (given how the rest of the game is set up), that the effect is usually underwhelming, even if it works great behind the scenes.

the Whirlwind Mk.II has a similar feature to the Hellhound, it can turn its missiles incendiary without an upgrade, doing so does more damage to units and structures (but worse against vehicles) So if you're facing the Eldar who cloak everything you can just collect a squad of Mk.IIs to shell the area until it's awash with prometheum. Only downside is that They're a tier III Vehicle, and cost a lot both energy and time-wise.

One thing I do hate energy-wise is "You must make an additional structure to build more generators"

I understand why but... why? Why may I only have 6 generators without dropping more money on a second base. Is it to teach me to make a second base? I don't have the money, I don't know how the AI has the money.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Promontory posted:

I've been trying out Soulstorm as the evil elves. They really are a rushing race, and fighting stronghold missions as them is a slog. I've been playing the chaos stronghold mission, where you have to break down a magic barrier's five generators before attacking the HQ. Infantry can't heal as far as I know, and vehicles need to be fixed by a slow builder unit which cannot teleport or take damage. Lack of static defenses means having to leave squads or vehicles behind to guard the base, and jumping back to micro their abilities. At least the stronghold intro was, uh, an experience?

The Castrati Choir presents:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzqP1BqwvIw

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

So I found some UA videos. While their personality is... to be desired, it does showcase how buggering hard the mod can be with the new races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK82qUz_S9s

This is a 2 on 1 Standard AI Chaos Daemons. In around 30 minutes the Daemons wiped out both IG and Tau. I don't know if it's just the absurdity of the faction, or if the AI changes made by UA make the game hard to play, but I know for a fact that unless you're immensely incompetent you shouldn't lose 2 on 1 to the Standard AI.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Giving this a quick glance, those guys are really bad at opening play. :v:

e: Man, that mod looks bad.

e2: 4000 in the bank, 0/18 infantry and not building any while complaining about being overwhelmed...

my dad fucked around with this message at 14:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.

Pops posted:

Hellhounds aren't so great at destroying turrets/buildings; you want Sentinels for that. Basically, with IG grenade launchers being so great against infantry (or at least, those that can be knocked around by grenades), the IG squad/Sentinel combo is great for most of what ails you. Your approach to cloaked unit works, but don't forget: your HQ has a detection radar that reveals cloaked units. Also, I don't believe flamers do DoT on buildings. it attacks multiple units within a squad, it does some, non-stacking DoT; but you don't want the flame for the DoT. You want it for morale damage and 70% damage on the move. Unless your playing orks. Ork burnas (but only when upgraded) do some pretty good damage on turrets; on par with tankhunter rokkits, and usually the computer will start attacking your slugga boys if they start focusing on turrets instead of homing into your tankhunters/shoota boys (however, choppa damage against turrets remains terrible).

A good page on the subject of damage on the move: http://www.gamereplays.org/soulstorm/portals.php?show=page&name=totw_fotm (though use adblock, goddamn page crashed my browser). Micromanaging units is such an integral part of DoW that those statistics become pretty important.

Pops
Sep 11, 2004

Victory.
I know the Guard doesn't exactly lack for options when it comes to breaking cloaks: psyker unit attachments, the command squad, turrets, listening posts, an upgraded HQ's sensor sweep ability, even (in a pinch) Basilisks force-firing on an area where you think stealth units are hiding. These will all do the job, and most of the time, they're all you really need. I don't particularly like spending the two vehicle cap on Hellhounds, either, because they're so underwhelming. If they had the armor to wade into turrets and burn them down, then maybe, but they don't. They'll take loads of damage in one-on-one duels with turrets, and often won't survive tangling with two or more simultaneously, so it's not like they can really help kick in the door much. They can roll with the punches better than Sentinels can, but those are supposed to be scout units anyway. Taking punches is what tanks are for. The Hellhounds' special ability comes in handy when the Guard's other cloak detection isn't available - a vehicle-only force, the HQ's ability still on cooldown from another front, nowhere near friendly lines, that sort of situation. But that's kind of the point: it's situational, and otherwise a bit too expensive to justify, especially since most Guard players consider 13 of their 20 vehicle cap points 'spoken for': 10 points for his 2 allowed Russes, and 3 for his Baneblade.

They make decent enough raiders, but honestly I'd rather send a Chimera packed with guardsmen and maybe an enginseer to support a flock of Sentinels. Hellhounds - and other flame units, for that matter - just don't quite cut it the way the game seems to think they should.

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Onmi posted:

So I found some UA videos. While their personality is... to be desired, it does showcase how buggering hard the mod can be with the new races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jK82qUz_S9s

This is a 2 on 1 Standard AI Chaos Daemons. In around 30 minutes the Daemons wiped out both IG and Tau. I don't know if it's just the absurdity of the faction, or if the AI changes made by UA make the game hard to play, but I know for a fact that unless you're immensely incompetent you shouldn't lose 2 on 1 to the Standard AI.

In their defence, though they are kinda bad, the Daemon faction feels really unbalanced in the mod. Not unbeatable if you can hammer them fast enough but once they reach around Tier 3-4 they'll happily start to steamroller you. 'least they're not as broken as the Tyranid faction, I've seen a Standard Tyranid AI survive alone in a 3v1 match for nearly an hour before they got dragged down under a tide of Riptides and Hammerheads, and the sound effect for the Spinefists is the exact right noise to grate on my nerves.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

The Whirlwind Barrage. For when you absolutely must wreck their base without being in their base.

Onmi fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Sep 28, 2015

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Sometimes a part of the map just needs to stop existing from long range.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Welp just as my Assault Terminators were laying into the Baneblade and the Eldar were probably doing something after the Orks and Deldar were killed and I never even saw Chaos. the game crashed. I'm really starting to get a little annoyed with such tiny maps, the moment I left my base I'm in the Deldar's base, and this was a Free-for-all map, not one clearly made for team play. Even the Imperial Guard were just a hop skip away from my base which is what helped lead to such a clusterfuck. It's just incredibly unreliable to build up while you're always at war- Oooooh.

That being said, FFA makes a much better show of myself than team battles, probably because I only have me to rely on, not the AI. The game is a little weird about declaring something/someone dead however. The Deldar survived without builders and without their HQ for a ridiculously long time before the game finally decided they were dead. Also I shall now list my favourite Space Marine strategies.

Operation Dread Drop: Build a lot of Orbital Relays. Produce Dreadnoughts, drop them into the Enemy HQ with aid of a spotter. They'll probably call back their army, lightening the front lines and even if they don't, dropping Dreads tends to shred a base.
Whirlwind Artillery Barrage: I'm just a massive fan of artillery, which is probably why I hate flying units so much. So creating a swarm of Whirlwind Mk.IIs to Just pound flat any base that is giving me trouble. Often from the comfort of my own base, is very fun. The only time it stops being fun is when I'm the one getting shot.
Assault Drop: Assault Marines are good building killers (even if the game says they aren't)and they are also good at taking out Vehicles (even if the game says they aren't) And finally I don't need to devote an orbital relay to them. In the early game if I'm making an attack, I'll usually Assault the enemy base. Hopefully followed up by sending in land-based dreadnoughts.

For some reason Terminators feel very weak to me. They're subject to the same numbers as other SM squads, but by the time they're fighting the enemy they seem to just get chumped. In fact I pretty much always just resort to vehicle spam in the late game. No Morale to deal with either.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
I feel like basic game design concepts might have been a thing one of the devs was tangentially aware had existed in the distant past.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

Onmi posted:

For some reason Terminators feel very weak to me. They're subject to the same numbers as other SM squads, but by the time they're fighting the enemy they seem to just get chumped. In fact I pretty much always just resort to vehicle spam in the late game. No Morale to deal with either.

DoW terminators are not the beasts they are in DoW2 and lose out to similiar late game heavy units from other factions. They also had/have the wrinkle of getting diced up silly by howling banshees for some reason. They're powerful yes but not outstanding inside their own niche.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The weirdest Terminators I ever saw in a game were from the old xcom-a-like Chaos Gate. Terminators were heavily armed and nearly indestructible but their great weakness was... lack of pockets. Terminators couldn't carry items other than their gun, meaning no grenades or spare ammo. I'm guessing the suits had no pockets and it would be heresy to try and modify a relic like that.

Neruz
Jul 23, 2012

A paragon of manliness
Well I mean, Terminators can't carry grenades or spare ammo, which is why they have auto-loaders and bigger guns.

The advantage of Terminator armor is that you are wearing a tank, the disadvantage is that you are wearing a tank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Where the hell do normal Marines carry anything, anyway? There's no pockets on their power armor.

I always just assumed they stored their bullets in the Action Hero dimension.

• Locked thread