Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Nakar posted:

You can't abort it, which is stupid (you can't abort 22 the first time you deploy to it either, only if you fail it once). However, you CAN Fulton the cargo container right where you start and ride it out of the mission. So... that helps a little, I guess?

It's a real dick move to not even remotely suggest you'll be fighting 14 loving tanks with the lead-in to that mission though.

Does it not even have the "Recommended: Missiles" tag Backup Back Down has?

Because that was my prompt to actually develop a rocket launcher the first time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Does it not even have the "Recommended: Missiles" tag Backup Back Down has?

Because that was my prompt to actually develop a rocket launcher the first time.

I'm pretty sure it doesn't. To make things worse, it launches immediately after the intel side op – like how you start the mission to rescue Huey – but as previously stated, you can't quit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Welp, looks like my butterfly emblem is never changing.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Researched everything. Everything.

Ideas on what to do with the now redundant 220 strong team? :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

poptart_fairy posted:

Researched everything. Everything.

Ideas on what to do with the now redundant 220 strong team? :v:

If you have no need for them anymore, just kill them all.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Edit: Wrong thread

Castor Poe fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Sep 27, 2015

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

I've just (totally) finished the game and while some stuff is a little blurry, a lot of it is sort of a letdown. I think all of that has been thoroughly covered in the thread so far.

Where do you think the series will go from here, if it gets off the ground again at all? There's seemingly everything tied up now that Phantom Pain has connected to Metal Gear 1, leaving Revengeance as the go-to for a next chapter, I guess? I would say that Raiden doesn't have quite the same appeal as Snake does--Naked, Solid, or Venom--but Phantom Pain has sort of tired me out on the idea of Snake as a protagonist. Or antagonist, for that matter.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Life on Motherbase feels so empty without Quiet listening to 80's tunes. :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Colapops posted:

I've just (totally) finished the game and while some stuff is a little blurry, a lot of it is sort of a letdown. I think all of that has been thoroughly covered in the thread so far.

Where do you think the series will go from here, if it gets off the ground again at all? There's seemingly everything tied up now that Phantom Pain has connected to Metal Gear 1, leaving Revengeance as the go-to for a next chapter, I guess? I would say that Raiden doesn't have quite the same appeal as Snake does--Naked, Solid, or Venom--but Phantom Pain has sort of tired me out on the idea of Snake as a protagonist. Or antagonist, for that matter.

Metal Gear is done. The best we can ask for now is a pachinko machine.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Colapops posted:

There's seemingly everything tied up now that Phantom Pain has connected to Metal Gear 1

I think this is a stretch.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
So what's the likely future of MG series? Konami states they're not abandoning it, but I'm a newcomer to the series so the background is beyond me. Is Kojima done with it?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Of course Konami isn't abandoning it. The FOB gameplay was basically prototyping for a phone game.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Konami says they're not done with Metal Gear as a whole, and Kojima has only said (to my knowledge) that he's done with the Snake(s) arc. Whether or not all the drama between Konami and Kojima will amount to anything permanent--or anything beyond a weird publicity stunt--remains to be seen.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Snak posted:

It kind of made no sense. The beginning of the tape makes it sound like Zero was expecting a package from him. Like they discussed Skullface finding this item for Zero and delivering it. Then as soon as Zero pricks his thumb, he's all like "SOMEONE TALKED HOW DID YOU FIND ME?!"

edit: I think that Pin belonged to The Sorrow, and it was The Boss's last memento of him. So it was also a close personal memento of The Boss. It's possible that Zero wanted it himself for sentimental reasons, or he was planning to give it to Big Boss as an olive branch.

I think the idea is that he believed skull face had sent it via an intermediary (several) whereas skull face had access to the building and could tamper with it after all the cleaning and checks I presume any package would go through.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Welp, looks like my butterfly emblem is never changing.
Just upgrade the CGM all the way and take it on the side op. It makes the mission insanely easy.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Just upgrade the CGM all the way and take it on the side op. It makes the mission insanely easy.
Yeah, the difficulty is entirely in not coming prepared to it. Otherwise you have a perfectly defensible position with a building to let you break line of sight so a tank is never aiming at you if you don't want it to.

Although I took the maxed out not-Carl Gustav so I wouldn't feel compelled to spend time on lock ons.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tanks one shotting you even in battle dress is pretty bullshit though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I've got this whole building to break LOS and take pot shots at enemy vehicles. How to handle this... I'll just stand where the tank barrel is already pointed. Seems like a solid plan OH NO IT SHOT ME.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

zedprime posted:

I've got this whole building to break LOS and take pot shots at enemy vehicles. How to handle this... I'll just stand where the tank barrel is already pointed. Seems like a solid plan OH NO IT SHOT ME.

You can be one-shot at the very edge of the explosions, and they're able to fire you at as soon as they come into view of the building.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
They don't have magically tracking turrets, if you take a shot from one side, then go through the building to the other side and take a shot, and keep doing that, there is never a time that a barrel should ever be within a few degrees of aiming at Snake.

E. Its the poster child mission for abusing last known position.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

zedprime posted:

They don't have magically tracking turrets, if you take a shot from one side, then go through the building to the other side and take a shot, and keep doing that, there is never a time that a barrel should ever be within a few degrees of aiming at Snake.

Except for when they first spawn and can fire through the cloud of dust and debris as soon as the area comes into view for them, just like I said. The fact they can one-shot you with any trace of splash damage on top that is just silly design and a poo poo show on top of how the mission gets thrown on you in the first place.

Sputty
Mar 20, 2005

Ledenko posted:

So what's the likely future of MG series? Konami states they're not abandoning it, but I'm a newcomer to the series so the background is beyond me. Is Kojima done with it?

They're cancelling major game development except for the soccer game. I don't think they'll do anything other than lovely mobile cash-ins ever again

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I could see them outsourcing stuff like they did with Rising.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Well, I wasn't gonna change anyway, because taking Quiet from you is bullshit of the highest order, and I'm not :spergin: enough to 100% the game anyway.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Kainser posted:

I could see them outsourcing stuff like they did with Rising.

Cute, you think they'd be willing to put money into a console game when they could instead put that into mobile or pachinko.

lfield
May 10, 2008
I want a game where you play as The Boss building the Cobra Unit during WWII. Nazi super-soldier plot. Hitler in a Metal Gear.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Armour parasites are your friend for mission 45.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

It's probably not the Sorrow's, assuming he's telling the truth Zero says that the pin's owner was lost in Egypt in the early 40s - but the Boss kills the Sorrow at Tselinoyarsk only a couple of years before the events of Snake Eater.

I'm honestly surprised that Kojima didn't use this opportunity to hint at the Boss's own mentor.

Good point, I forgot about the Egypt part of that tape. The Boss's father, maybe?

I'm so mad we never got a Saladin Snake namedrop.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

ChaosArgate posted:

Cute, you think they'd be willing to put money into a console game when they could instead put that into mobile or pachinko.

Margins might be a lot better if they're only publishing and licensing out their stuff.

They would certainly be better if they didn't even publish and only licensed, since it's nearly zero costs and almost pure profits.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012

Sputty posted:

They're cancelling major game development except for the soccer game. I don't think they'll do anything other than lovely mobile cash-ins ever again

Wasn't that a redacted rumor or something though?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ledenko posted:

Wasn't that a redacted rumor or something though?

No, that was confirmed at TGS.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Grapplejack posted:

the worst part about the credits is that it doesn't go

STARRING:
Running Octopus as
PUNISHED "VENOM" SNAKE

for whenever you bring in a random dude. gently caress you kojima! Give my boy some screen time!

I'm still disappointed that your buddy doesn't get a credit

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Snak posted:

Good point, I forgot about the Egypt part of that tape. The Boss's father, maybe?

I'm so mad we never got a Saladin Snake namedrop.

Sniper Wolf would be like ten years old around this time period. Afghanistan's a bit off from wherever Wolf is supposed to be from (the wiki says Iraqui Kurdistan), but it would still be cool. She's supposed to be rescued by Big Boss sometime when she's young.

We also didn't get to see Liquid in the Middle East hunting jackals, sadly.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Sep 27, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

Sniper Wolf would be like ten years old around this time period. Afghanistan's a bit off from wherever Wolf is supposed to be from (the wiki says Iraqui Kurdistan), but it would still be cool. She's supposed to be rescued by Big Boss sometime when she's young.

Oh man, which Quiet going away and the whole child soldiers theme already existing, it would have been really cool if after Quiet left, Venom found 10 year old Sniper Wolf and she became a buddy. It'd be a really good game-play/theme interaction, because most players would want to use her because they want Quiet's functionality, so it would give them incentive to deploy a child soldier.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Speedball posted:

Although he does have jackal teeth on his necklace, and there's still jackals in Africa!

Snak posted:

Oh man, which Quiet going away and the whole child soldiers theme already existing, it would have been really cool if after Quiet left, Venom found 10 year old Sniper Wolf and she became a buddy. It'd be a really good game-play/theme interaction, because most players would want to use her because they want Quiet's functionality, so it would give them incentive to deploy a child soldier.

Doubt they'd allow it though. Would be a minefield trying to clear a child character who can actually be killed.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Sep 27, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Although he does have jackal teeth on his necklace, and there's still jackals in Africa!

Doubt they'd allow it though. Would be a minefield trying to clear a child character who can actually be killed.

Just make it so she can't be killed? Make her immortal. make her so that enemies can't even hit her, they just shoot towards her and then Snake says "It's too dangerous, we're pulling you out" and she gets extracted.

Like there's already child soldiers in the game who kill people and shoot at you, so it shouldn't be an issue that a child is killing people.

I mean, the whole gameplay (not story) purpose of having her would be to be a permanent replacement for losing Quiet, so if she could die that would be dumb anyway.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I imagine the difficulty would be the player being implicit in that child killing someone. The game goes out its way to go "no no no no no child soldiers are bad you meat head" which probably got them on a pass on that front. Encouraging you to use a murder kid might've have gotten a different reaction.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

poptart_fairy posted:

I imagine the difficulty would be the player being implicit in that child killing someone. The game goes out its way to go "no no no no no child soldiers are bad you meat head" which probably got them on a pass on that front. Encouraging you to use a murder kid might've have gotten a different reaction.

That's possible. I don't know all the weird laws different countries have.

Maybe she could just have a non-lethal sniper. Like a Riot Serval. Do you know how funny that would be? They could use the bionic punch impact effect.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

poptart_fairy posted:

You can give children in Fallout 3 miniguns and have them clear the entire game for you. I don't think people think about that too much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

poptart_fairy posted:

I'm not sure that's true. The Last of Us and Telltale's The Walking Dead had a 14 year old and 8 year old (as both a PC and an NPC ally) killing people and didn't get into any trouble for it.

• Locked thread