Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
All I really care about on a phone is the battery. Give me a lovely phone with an amazing battery any day. As long as it can Whatsapp and use the google I'm good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Nexus 6P apparently got AMOLED, too.

Also, if these pictures are true, it's very low bezel.

https://imgur.com/a/3Lq75

--edit: Nevermind, it was a Moto Nexus 6.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Sep 27, 2015

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Mnemosyne posted:

The turbo charger that came with my Nexus 6 is now emitting a high-pitched whine sometimes, and often won't charge. I bought the Nexus from the Google Store, so I called them for support. I just spent 45 minutes on the phone with them, and they eventually told me "this is taking too long, call back tomorrow."

The guy I spoke with seemed utterly stymied by how to handle this and put me on hold about 6 times. I seriously cannot be the first person to need a charger replaced. He said that nobody there could figure out how to handle this because they apparently don't sell the charger separately and thus can't send me a new one? He wants to refund me the cost of a new charger and have me buy one myself. This is the first time I've ever dealt with the support at the Google Store; is it always this terrible?

I bought a smartwatch from the Google Store when there was a $50 Play credit promotion going. I didn't get the promo credit, so I called them. It took them weeks to get the credit issued to me.

They were exceedingly polite but I mean, why does it take so long for someone somewhere to hit a button to issue a Play store credit?

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Google Store Support is where they put employees from projects Google gave up. You're getting refunds from a bunch of shellshocked Wave and Reader devs.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've had nothing but great success with Motorola support.

I really didn't like the color combination I did with my first Moto X, and they let me get a new one. Then, hilariously enough, my wife did the same thing a few months later. Then she broke the screen on hers and they replaced the phone free of charge. Then the SIM tray started sticking out a little on my phone and they replaced the phone again.

No shipping problems, fast and easy to get hold of, and went above and beyond what I expected out of them.

JAF07
Aug 6, 2007

:911:
Moto X Pure update: Had the phone for a few weeks now, and I love it for the most part. The hands free stuff when driving is awesome, though I wish the phone wouldn't give me the 5 minute introduction after every text when I've already replied to a few with voice. I've had zero issues with slowdown, the battery lasts forever (compared to my Nexus 5, anyway), and I'm getting better reception where I work (a giant hospital). I was completely against a big phone, but it actually fits my hand better and is far more ergonomic to hold.

The camera is still maddening because you have so little control over it. When the stars align it takes amazing pictures, but otherwise it's poo poo as a point and shoot because you have to wait for it to focus on its own (even with the focus point mode enabled). I'm hoping with Android 6 and camera2 getting more widespread implementation that Motorola takes off the reins a bit, but I'm not holding my breath.

I'm still planning on buying a Nexus 5X when it's released, but considering it's almost exactly the same size as the Pure with a smaller screen, it's going to take an incredible camera to make me switch.

Magog
Jan 9, 2010

Whizbang posted:

Google Store Support is where they put employees from projects Google gave up. You're getting refunds from a bunch of shellshocked Wave and Reader devs.

If that were actually the case the manpower would probably make up for it. :downs:

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I would love for the Nexus 5x to have a great camera. I'm on a 2013 Moto X, and its been disappointing in the long run with the crap camera, slow software updates, and its just getting old now with the battery. Also I'm pretty pisses about the "optimizing apps" thing every so often since the Lollipop when it restarts, despite clearing cache and factory reset.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Well, the only shop I could find that wanted to sell Moto G 2/16GB phones in Norway just delayed their projected fulfillment date by 30 days. If my Samsung G S3 didn't have a broken screen, I could do without a new smartphone for a month. Without a working screen, I really can't. Given that the G 2/16 is off the table, I am forced to look elsewhere. I'd rather avoid the 810 chipset, I'd rather prefer my screen to be 5 inches or smaller, I would like it to be waterproof (enough so I can confidently clean it under the tap), I'd like to stick with Android, I need at least 2 GB RAM, and of course it needs to be available to buy in Norway.

So far the only phones I have been able to find that kind of sort of fulfill those requirements is the Sony Xperia M4 Aqua (with only 8 GB storage) and the Samsung Galaxy S5 (which is kind of expensive). Are there any other phones I should look at?

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

pun pundit posted:

Well, the only shop I could find that wanted to sell Moto G 2/16GB phones in Norway just delayed their projected fulfillment date by 30 days?

Does Amazon.fr ship to Norway? The 16/2 GB Moto G is 230€ on there: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B012MR...nX1L&ref=plSrch

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

I've got my eyes on a Moto X Pure after my Galaxy S4 recently died, but my hopes were crushed after finding out it's not available in Canada. Has anyone here tried ordering one via something like shipitto or borderlinx?

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Moto X (2014 16Gb) or Sony Z3 Compact as a stop gap? Z3 is about $100 more. The Moto G 2015 is not available here.

Today is the day I leave my GNex behind.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

bronin posted:

Does Amazon.fr ship to Norway? The 16/2 GB Moto G is 230€ on there: http://www.amazon.fr/gp/aw/d/B012MR...nX1L&ref=plSrch

It will ship most stuff, not cell phones though. The same goes for most international dealers, the only exception I've found is store.orange.com, and that doesn't carry the Moto G 2/16. (And it has specific store pages for each country it serves)

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Mnemosyne posted:

Quoting for truth. Every new phone I get makes me go ":sigh: Still not as good as the Pre."

And I was just bitching earlier today that everyone claimed I would get used to on-screen keyboards as I used them more, and I'd eventually be faster. Nope. I've been using onscreen keyboards for 5 years now and I still type at less than 1/10th of the speed that I can manage on the Pre. I use voice transcription whenever I can, because using the keyboard sucks so hard.

I was tempted to try out a Pre 3, just for a laugh. They're expensive though, and I know deep down it wouldn't cut it. I think the gesture bar at the bottom of the screen was genius. Swipe up to change apps and side swiping to go back and forward was such a good user experience. The Priv (ugh) is tempting, but I'll wait for the reviews. WebOS + Google Store would be my ideal phone.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Am I the only one that doesn't like non Samsung AMOLED displays? The ones Moto has used in the past few years have been terrible quality, IMO and have some burn in issues.

Samsung displays have been tremendous though.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Cozmosis posted:

Am I the only one that doesn't like non Samsung AMOLED displays? The ones Moto has used in the past few years have been terrible quality, IMO and have some burn in issues.

I was never a fan

Cozmosis posted:

I was never a fan of the Nexus 6, that was my biggest complaint about it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
The OLED panel in the Nexus 6 is a Samsung one. Too bad it's a few generations old and really not that great. Can't blame Samsung for selling Motorola lower quality panels and saving their best for their own phones, though.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Hey guys. Hopefully I can get some help as my phone is basically not working.

Here is a general overview of everything:

I have a Moto X 1060 (Verizon 1st gen). I updated to 5.0 last weekend (9/19/15) and everything was working great. I dropped my phone (even though I have ton of times before) and the screen broke. I bought a new screen+digitizer/LCD and installed it Saturday (9/26/15) and everything seemed to be good. Saturday night my phone was acting weird and it rebooted and was optimizing apps and I noticed the system was then on 5.1 (OK even though I don't recall installing it). Come Sunday morning (today) and my phone is just freaking out completely. The screen was complete static and then shut down at about 9 am but I used the phone just fine from 6:30-9. It turned on about a hour later and optimized apps why I was boarding an airplane. I shot out 2 texts and flipped to airplane mode for the flight. Listened to music the whole time with no issues. landed and put it back on the verizon network. sent a couple texts and then the phone stops responding. Reboots and tries to optimize apps again. Crashes during that. It tries again to optimize apps. Crashes during that. It has tried to optimize the apps 2 more times today and turns off/crashes at 60ish out of 107 apps.

I tried to hold the power button down for 10 seconds a few times now. It will vibrate and that is it.
It is plugged into the wall and just vibrates every 45 seconds or so. It is doing this right now...just buzz...buzz...buzz..
Plugged into my computer to see if I can see the device and it just vibrates every 45 seconds and does nothing else. One time it recognized it for about 10 seconds but that is it.

I am in Branson MO right now for work, no phone is not ideal. My thoughts are that it is either of the following:

Bad connections on my screen replacement (did this myself but it really was not that hard).
Android update issue

I can't take the phone apart right now since I don't have any tools with me. So I can't check the first one.
I can't get the phone to stay on so I can't back it up and reset it (I am guessing a factory reset would be ideal)

Any other ideas? I am really at a loss. The verizon store here gave me some local guys card since they will not do anything. It looks like they do a lot of screen replacements so maybe I can take my phone apart if need be at that place. Or I will be back in Denver Thursday if I have to wait.

Thanks for any thoughts.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
If I may, I would like to sum up your post:

"I dropped my phone a ton of times and now it's not working and I don't know why."

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

grack posted:

"I dropped my phone a ton of times and now it's not working and I don't know why."

I actually would disagree with you here but hey what do I know. I always had a rubber case on it and the 20 months I had it it was ok. when my screen broke I went a 4 days waiting for my new one and everything worked great just couldn't see very well. Honestly the big change was a 5.1 upgrade or I broke something when I put the new screen on (but it seemed fine for the entire day...). I don't thing dropping it honestly has anything to do with it.

I plugged my phone in again and after holding the power button down a bunch of times for 10 seconds it turned on. This time it made it through the optimization and is on. I am working on backing it up before trying a factory reset as that is the best I have come up with so far.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

grack posted:

This, you just want to blame some other factor other than yourself. A system update (the original Moto X went directly from 4.4.4 to 5.1, just so you know,) is just coincidental timing, and convenient for biases.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

You dropped your phone too much and broke the memory chips.

Source: Me too :smith:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Fair enough. It could be the case. If it keeps working this week I will probably pull it apart again when I get home and check it out.

And yes I agree that it was supposed to go straight from 4.4 to 5.1 but I also look at my version update after it happened and it said 5.0. but who knows.

I wasn't trying to blame something else for my phone I was just trying to troubleshoot knowing I had just taken the phone apart to fix a broken screen and it had run another update.

If your guys opinion is that I messed something up when it dropped on Tuesday (despite working fine through Saturday) then it is what it is. I will keep looking around and try to find a solution if I can.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

pun pundit posted:

It will ship most stuff, not cell phones though. The same goes for most international dealers, the only exception I've found is store.orange.com, and that doesn't carry the Moto G 2/16. (And it has specific store pages for each country it serves)

drat that sucks :(

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Another phone related tragedy that could've been avoided with the judicious use of grip tape. WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Any downside to encrypting your phone? I'm on a Z3c if that matters.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy

spwrozek posted:

Hey guys. Hopefully I can get some help as my phone is basically not working.

Here is a general overview of everything:

I have a Moto X 1060 (Verizon 1st gen). I updated to 5.0 last weekend (9/19/15) and everything was working great. I dropped my phone (even though I have ton of times before) and the screen broke. I bought a new screen+digitizer/LCD and installed it Saturday (9/26/15) and everything seemed to be good. Saturday night my phone was acting weird and it rebooted and was optimizing apps and I noticed the system was then on 5.1 (OK even though I don't recall installing it). Come Sunday morning (today) and my phone is just freaking out completely. The screen was complete static and then shut down at about 9 am but I used the phone just fine from 6:30-9. It turned on about a hour later and optimized apps why I was boarding an airplane. I shot out 2 texts and flipped to airplane mode for the flight. Listened to music the whole time with no issues. landed and put it back on the verizon network. sent a couple texts and then the phone stops responding. Reboots and tries to optimize apps again. Crashes during that. It tries again to optimize apps. Crashes during that. It has tried to optimize the apps 2 more times today and turns off/crashes at 60ish out of 107 apps.

I tried to hold the power button down for 10 seconds a few times now. It will vibrate and that is it.
It is plugged into the wall and just vibrates every 45 seconds or so. It is doing this right now...just buzz...buzz...buzz..
Plugged into my computer to see if I can see the device and it just vibrates every 45 seconds and does nothing else. One time it recognized it for about 10 seconds but that is it.

I am in Branson MO right now for work, no phone is not ideal. My thoughts are that it is either of the following:

Bad connections on my screen replacement (did this myself but it really was not that hard).
Android update issue

I can't take the phone apart right now since I don't have any tools with me. So I can't check the first one.
I can't get the phone to stay on so I can't back it up and reset it (I am guessing a factory reset would be ideal)

Any other ideas? I am really at a loss. The verizon store here gave me some local guys card since they will not do anything. It looks like they do a lot of screen replacements so maybe I can take my phone apart if need be at that place. Or I will be back in Denver Thursday if I have to wait.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Sounds like what my Nexus 5 was doing. Some Googling on it said it was the power button and to work the button and hit the phone on the button area to free it from sticking. This worked for me off and on for a couple days but has been rock stable the past 3 days. Internet people say to replace the button or it will continue to happen till it can't be fixed by beating it.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Red_Fred posted:

Any downside to encrypting your phone? I'm on a Z3c if that matters.

Slower performance. Ever used PGP or some other full disk encryption on a PC?

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

My android phone is old and it sucks now. I used to have 200 apps and now none of them run and I don't know why.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

ThePriceIsRight posted:

My android phone is old and it sucks now. I used to have 200 apps and now none of them run and I don't know why.

Have you tried dropping it a bunch of times?

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Gom Jabbar posted:

Sounds like what my Nexus 5 was doing. Some Googling on it said it was the power button and to work the button and hit the phone on the button area to free it from sticking. This worked for me off and on for a couple days but has been rock stable the past 3 days. Internet people say to replace the button or it will continue to happen till it can't be fixed by beating it.

I found similar info on this and tried it and currently running for 8 hours all good.

I feel good that I have a few options if issues keep popping up so hopefully my phone can last a long while still.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Just got on a LG G4 and have to say this phone is baller. Dear Lord the camera is good too.

Merv Burger
Jan 3, 2008

grack posted:

Another phone related tragedy that could've been avoided with the judicious use of grip tape. WHEN WILL PEOPLE LEARN

We thought hotsauce was insane, but he was truly ahead of his time

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

spwrozek posted:

Fair enough. It could be the case. If it keeps working this week I will probably pull it apart again when I get home and check it out.

And yes I agree that it was supposed to go straight from 4.4 to 5.1 but I also look at my version update after it happened and it said 5.0. but who knows.

I wasn't trying to blame something else for my phone I was just trying to troubleshoot knowing I had just taken the phone apart to fix a broken screen and it had run another update.

If your guys opinion is that I messed something up when it dropped on Tuesday (despite working fine through Saturday) then it is what it is. I will keep looking around and try to find a solution if I can.

There's been plenty of complaints about 5.1 on the original Moto X causing reboot that then brings up the optimizing apps screen so you can blame that part on Motorola. However the fact that it freezes during that could be a sign of a more serious issue. In my experience, phones that undergo serious repairs like that are rarely ever the same again. If the factory reset doesn't fix it, I'd treat this as the perfect excuse for an upgrade if I were you.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

https://ausdroid.net/2015/09/28/following-little-brothers-footsteps-huawei-nexus-6p-just-passed-fcc-sd-card-tow/

810 chipset and microSD card slot?! Sound off guys

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I desperately need to upgrade my now-lovely-thanks-to-Lollipop Moto X. I hope the new Nexus phones are available soon-ish. If they're not available for 8 weeks or are lovely for some reason (hello 810), I think I'm just going to get an iphone. Nothing in Android land is too interesting to me right now...

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Thermopyle posted:

I desperately need to upgrade my now-lovely-thanks-to-Lollipop Moto X. I hope the new Nexus phones are available soon-ish. If they're not available for 8 weeks or are lovely for some reason (hello 810), I think I'm just going to get an iphone. Nothing in Android land is too interesting to me right now...

Moto X Pure is pretty good and I have zero regrets about it, even having purchased it knowing the new nexus phones were coming. Your preferences may differ from mine and as such your proverbial mileage may vary.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
There's rumors of no qi on either new nexus, in which case I have no idea what I would do. Lumia 950xl, maybe. S6, maybe. Wait for an 820 based option, maybe.

Our N5s are hitting 2 years. It's scary out there.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I got myself a Nexus 5 last year because the 6 was too big and my 4 was too old. My wife had her 4 until recently when she started complaining it was acting weird. A friend had a 5 he wasn't using so I borrowed that. Then she dropped it within 3 days and shattered the screen, I put a glass screen protector on and she dropped it again (opposite corner) shattering that as well.

I told her the new Nexus phones were coming in October and that's one of the few details on anything I've told her that she remembers, so she keeps bugging me every few days. "New phone yet? New phone yet?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

But I thought glass screen protectors were unbreakable and could save every phone from everything!? Are you telling me people are lying???