Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Their ice cream is good, too.

Don't forget, cash only! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

1500quidporsche posted:

The lines there on the weekend are worse than costco though. Their food is dirt cheap though and I've had many a university meals there.

Hell I went there last Wednesday morning just after they opened and the cafeteria was packed to the gills. I was baffled.
(still waited in line, I like their breakfast stuff)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

MrChips posted:

You're going to Deerfoot Meadows? BECAUSE ONLY FOOLS GO THERE.

I bring a length of pipe and go to Okotoks instead, or if I'm at work I'll go to Crossiron instead. Way less busy at both of them.

The only thing I miss about living at Beacon Hill is the easy access to Costco gas.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I got run over in a crosswalk by a K-car near Beacon Hill.

Do you own a K-car?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

So my truck depreciated $10,000 a year in the first 5 years, and 750 a year since I owned it.

After all the repairs and maintenence and auction fees, it cost me about 19 cents a km or 1500 a year.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I got run over in a crosswalk by a K-car near Beacon Hill.

Do you own a K-car?

Nope, just Mazdas, a Ford, and one lovely Nissan.

E: serially, not, like, all now.

Phy fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Sep 27, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
The Barlow Pick N Pull has a crazy loving amount of cars on their "to buy" pile. I dunno if they just got a bunch of donations lately, but they've had to take over part of the parking lot in order to store junked cars because there's so many runners on offer.

This is just some of the cars:
http://www.kijiji.ca/o-pick-n-pull/1002608662

I also saw a manual Iron Duke '86 Fiero that's been there for a really long time.

Lots of nice wheels and tires too. I picked up some minty 15x6.5 Enkeis that were very light for $120 only to find out they were 5x114.3.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
Hey SSS, I was asking in the Subaru thread but do you know which sensor I need to replace for a P0031 code (bank 1, sensor 1)? Upstream or downstream?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Uhhh. Anyone near Edmonton got a trailer?

< bad news comin soon :( >

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:50 on Sep 27, 2015

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Powershift posted:

Uhhh. Anyone near Edmonton got a trailer?

gently caress YES

(no I don't have a trailer up near Edmonton)

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DrakeriderCa posted:

Hey SSS, I was asking in the Subaru thread but do you know which sensor I need to replace for a P0031 code (bank 1, sensor 1)? Upstream or downstream?

Sensor 1 is the upstream pre-cat O2 sensor. On every non-PZEV EJ2x Subaru I know of there is only the one bank, so Bank 1 Sensor 2 would be the downstream sensor, after the cat.

Since you are getting P0031, which relates to the heater control circuit, you might want to simply check the wiring pigtail that comes off the sensor for a short.

Sometimes a rusted or frayed wire on the sensor is all you need to fix instead of the entire sensor, especially if you're not seeing a catalyst efficiency code alongside. Any cracks in the insulation let saltwater in and wick along the wiring via capillary action, and a lot of the Chinesium O2 sensors that I see brake-shop jobbers chuck on cars are obviously not designed to withstand our climate.

Depending on the sensor you can test resistance of the two heater wires on the front sensor. On a stock Denso it's the two black wires and they should return at least something like 1-2 ohm unless the heater is hosed. At this point you should replace the sensor.

If this passes, or if you replace the sensor and still have trouble, start chasing the car-side harness all the way into the interior.

The FSM has a really good diagnostic flowchart for most CELs and it's worth following every step to figure out what the problem is before throwing money at RockAuto while shrieking like a banshee (even though that's what I do in every case).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Sep 27, 2015

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

MrChips posted:

gently caress YES

(no I don't have a trailer up near Edmonton)

I'm gettin her home but it won't shift to third And the Finnegan to my Freiburger is 9 years old.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
The only way this could have been better is if it were a 560 SEC. That said, you have my full approval but not my nonexistent trailer.

At least someone had luck buying a car this weekend :)

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

The only way this could have been better is if it were a 560 SEC. That said, you have my full approval but not my nonexistent trailer.

I owned a 560 SEC for a while; an '87 Euro-market car (which meant it had 295 bhp instead of 272) and all the labeling was in German. That car was what got me hoped on big German coupes (much to the chagrin of my wallet now and forever).

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
"I like big German cars that let me drive like a Russian mobster, which is why I now drive a 3-series" ~ MrChips, just now.

Come on man, there's Alpinas out there.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

"I like big German cars that let me drive like a Russian mobster, which is why I now drive a 3-series" ~ MrChips, just now.

Come on man, there's Alpinas out there.

Oh it's on the list, believe me. The problem is that Alpinas are worth absolutely stupid money, plus most of them are N62 powered 6 and 7ers, and I wouldn't touch an N62 with a 50-foot pole....they're seriously poo poo engines.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I made it home in second gear. 3 hours on back roads to do 150 km.

I've never seen a SEC at an auction, let alone a $900 one.

It was another one of those hosed up situations. They suggested there were only 2 cars left, and a bunch of people left, then they found 6 more. then the ford escape that was in front of it stalled in park, and they couldn't start it or shift it into neutral, so they said they would run the cars through the lane over and a bunch of people started heading over there, then he said they would do this one here since it's basically parked at the door. i bid agressively and held my bid number up so the second he decided to close it, he had it, and just bing bang boom, $500 > $750 > $900.

i'll have better pics in the morning, it was all blocked in by junk at the auction, and it was dark when i got home.

This whole situation went really far south, really fast. :(

Powershift fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Sep 27, 2015

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Man what the gently caress is going on?

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Powershift posted:

This whole situation went really far south, really fast. :(

:ohdear:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Uh oh!

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

:f5:

I'm dying here

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010
Can't see the pics, did he get that brown 560 SEL crocodile that smelled like a true merc should on the immaculate inside?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

No, it's black on black. But it's one of those situations that will be discussed when it's resolved, but there are multiple levels of fuckery involved.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.
If you guys are trying to run a bunch of Kijiji email alerts you should check out Inoreader. It's an RSS reader that I started using as a replacement to Google reader. Do your search on Kijiji, filter your options, right click the RSS button at the bottom of the results page and copy the URL into Inoreader. Presto! Instant feed of all your alerts that are further filterable, alerted upon, and with no feed limits!

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

Powershift posted:

No, it's black on black. But it's one of those situations that will be discussed when it's resolved, but there are multiple levels of fuckery involved.

Sounds hosed up, hopefully works out for you.

Did you happen to see if they sold the 850 bmw?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Powershift posted:

Something came up after you got it home?

Please tell me there was drugs, guns and/or a body in the trunk

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I'm going to guess someone previously involved with the car got pissy over the bargain basement price and is somehow making Powershifts life hell.

Although I'm not sure how that would happen with an auction. So many questions

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!

iv46vi posted:

Sounds hosed up, hopefully works out for you.

Did you happen to see if they sold the 850 bmw?

Definitely curious about the 850, I need to know what the current value of one is these days. Even more curious to see what's happened with powershift's mafia-mobile.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Sensor 1 is the upstream pre-cat O2 sensor. On every non-PZEV EJ2x Subaru I know of there is only the one bank, so Bank 1 Sensor 2 would be the downstream sensor, after the cat.

Since you are getting P0031, which relates to the heater control circuit, you might want to simply check the wiring pigtail that comes off the sensor for a short.

Sometimes a rusted or frayed wire on the sensor is all you need to fix instead of the entire sensor, especially if you're not seeing a catalyst efficiency code alongside. Any cracks in the insulation let saltwater in and wick along the wiring via capillary action, and a lot of the Chinesium O2 sensors that I see brake-shop jobbers chuck on cars are obviously not designed to withstand our climate.

Depending on the sensor you can test resistance of the two heater wires on the front sensor. On a stock Denso it's the two black wires and they should return at least something like 1-2 ohm unless the heater is hosed. At this point you should replace the sensor.

If this passes, or if you replace the sensor and still have trouble, start chasing the car-side harness all the way into the interior.

The FSM has a really good diagnostic flowchart for most CELs and it's worth following every step to figure out what the problem is before throwing money at RockAuto while shrieking like a banshee (even though that's what I do in every case).

Thanks man! We accidentally replaced the downstream sensor today after mistaking it for the upstream. The upstream is so tucked away we couldn't even see it :downs:

After finding the right sensor, I tried testing it by sticking my multimeter probes in the holes in the plug, and I didn't register a circuit. I also checked the wiring as best I could, and it looks healthy. Any tips on replacing the sensor? Do I need to pull the cat? I bought a sensor crowfoot wrench that will slip on the sensor but between the cat, the subframe and the axle I can't get a wrench or ratchet to it.

I guess I'll probably have to pull the cat, eh?

8ender posted:

I'm going to guess someone previously involved with the car got pissy over the bargain basement price and is somehow making Powershifts life hell.

Although I'm not sure how that would happen with an auction. So many questions

I've seen really stupid poo poo happen at auctions, so nothing would surprise me anymore.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 27, 2015

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
I've never had to pull the cat in order to change a front O2. Try a different kind of O2 socket and put on your big boy pants.

Probably sucks on a Foz though.. if you do pull the cat you'd have to do new exhaust gaskets at least which is a trip to pain town.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 28, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

I've never had to pull the cat in order to change a front O2. Try a different kind of O2 socket and put on your big boy pants.

Probably sucks on a Foz though.. if you do pull the cat you'd have to do new exhaust gaskets at least which is a trip to pain town.

Ugh really? I didn't even think about that.

I seriously have no idea how I'd get it off - it's recessed behind the lip of the cat and the subframe, axle and cat are all within an inch of the sensor. Ugh. I guess I'll try tomorrow but I might end up paying someone to do it.

Edit: holy poo poo I just found a video of a guy replacing his on an Impreza and it's right beside the wheel well. God, I wish.

DrakeriderCa fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Sep 28, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Today was not a day I am proud of, I will fully admit to that. I should have stopped and questioned quite a few things that seemed off as opposed to shrugging them off. I'm available both Wednesday and Thursday after work Drake if you want to keep trying.

In other news, the man I love to hate just posted this:

It is in Edmonton and it's listed for $3k obo

If I had the cash, I wouldn't be posting this. I would instead be posting this in 6 months:

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Sep 28, 2015

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

McTinkerson posted:

Today was not a day I am proud of, I will fully admit to that. I should have stopped and questioned quite a few things that seemed off as opposed to shrugging them off.

waht

iv46vi
Apr 2, 2010

DrakeriderCa posted:

Ugh really? I didn't even think about that.

I seriously have no idea how I'd get it off - it's recessed behind the lip of the cat and the subframe, axle and cat are all within an inch of the sensor. Ugh. I guess I'll try tomorrow but I might end up paying someone to do it.

Edit: holy poo poo I just found a video of a guy replacing his on an Impreza and it's right beside the wheel well. God, I wish.

I do have a weirdly shaped O2 sensor specific wrench if you want to try it:
http://www.autozone.com/loan-a-tools/oxygen-sensor-socket/oem-oxygen-sensor-wrench/948079_0_0/

On the other hand CanTire was supposed to resume loaning tools this year, they might have something even better.

iv46vi fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Sep 28, 2015

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I was giving Drake a hand with the O2 sensor, I misidentified the upstream and didn't notice the multimeter was set to amps instead of ohms...lot's of little poo poo that I should have caught. I probably should have led with that.

McTinkerson fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Sep 28, 2015

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

McTinkerson posted:

I was giving Drake a hand with the O2 sensor, I misidentified the upstream and didn't notice the multimeter was set to amps instead of ohms...lot's of little poo poo that I should have caught. I probably should have led with that.

Slidebite's just jelly that you're getting all my awkwardness now

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

It is true. After all I've done for you. :sigh:

Also, did you get that email on that bike I sent you?

Just make sure you keep your priorities straight.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, here's your horror story.

The vin on the bill of sale didn't match the car. the vin on the car was branded salvage. They're going to give the guy a chance to produce documents suggesting it was rebuilt and inspected, but considering the last entry in any sort of registry is a salvage branding in 2012 from a $6500 rear hit, it's really, really not likely. Otherwise they'll be giving me the money back and it will turn into a $100 weekend rental on a boss mercedes.

The paint on the back was a little rough, but that's the type of thing you overlook on a $900 car. it came from the US on 00, was serviced at a mercedes dealer as late as 2008, and had 131,000kms. 3 of the 4 windows worked, the sunroof, A/C, climate control, door locks, lights. all functioning perfectly. The bumper and frame were seemingly unharmed. it seemed like it got bumped by something taller. than the bumper.

Don't click this if you don't want to see the horror show that is a $900, 131k km mercedes that can never be registered on the road again. (it is a little dirty)

http://imgur.com/a/ybIRO

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

loving christ, I'd literally be in tears having to give that thing up after I got it for $900. lovely luck man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!
So sad. RIP gangster Benz, we hardly knew ye

In happier news, I was able to swap the front O2 sensor without removing anything I'd regret. Found a new angle for a wrench I'd missed before and got it done.

And we bought the Lincoln MKX, so I'm now an old man. Sorry, Slidebite. I'll leave you my sex toys in the will for my inevitable death in a fiery tent trailer crash.