Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
An email came in....

PM and analyst are bitching at me because I don't have a VDI image ready for the program we're updating next week. Well, I don't have the access to do that (no matter how many emails you send) and all the people who do, don't report to me. Nobody reports to me as I'm a desktop guy for now. The only one who is a peer and has the access is on vacation.

Turns out they don't even have files available for me to install, and they never did. So I'm not sure why that team was so utterly shocked at my inability to get that taken care of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
Back when Jesus walked the earth and servers were hugely expensive and therefore an office had maybe 2-3 total, I used to customize the poo poo out of them, with all my favorite apps and tweaks.

Now my desktops are bog standard except for maybe notepad++ and 7-zip.

On the server side, except for domain controllers and other specialized task-based servers, I rarely even name them.

I have whole fleets of WIN-qfhtddvgff servers.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Agrikk posted:

Back when Jesus walked the earth and servers were hugely expensive and therefore an office had maybe 2-3 total, I used to customize the poo poo out of them, with all my favorite apps and tweaks.

Now my desktops are bog standard except for maybe notepad++ and 7-zip.

On the server side, except for domain controllers and other specialized task-based servers, I rarely even name them.

I have whole fleets of WIN-qfhtddvgff servers.

Is the function of these server documented at least?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

If you kick up a huge stink about not having access to a new MDM platform that you showed zero interest in contributing to discussions on, get granted access the same day, and six weeks later are still showing in the dashboard with your last login as "never", then drat right I'm going to think you're a prick for a long time.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

poo poo that's pissing me off: wondering if I'm actually on the losing end of an Internet Argument™ about Windows XP. Did I miss a memo somewhere, or is it still possible to receive updates on a non-registry-modified XP Pro machine? Trying to convince someone that they need to get those computers off their goddamn business network, but they insist that they're getting security updates. Arguments to the contrary with links to the appropriate MS support pages are falling on deaf ears. Am I actually wrong here somehow?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I think there's a registry hack to make it think it's one of the embedded OSes for point of sale devices.

http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-security/latest-security-news/microsoft-issues-warning-about-windows-xp-support-hack/

But it's a dumb hill to die on. If they're your client then just document fully that you recommended moving off an unsupported OS and shift your focus to the more profitable ones.

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Thanks Ants posted:

I think there's a registry hack

Acid Reflux posted:

on a non-registry-modified XP Pro machine

Yeah, got that. :D Pretty sure they don't have anyone there savvy enough to make the change. Not a client at all, I'm not even working with computers anymore, for better or worse. Just trying to get someone I know to make an easily affordable (for them) change to two machines to bring them into this decade and eliminate the unnecessary risk. I think I'm done trying though, tired of being told I'm wrong when I'm all but certain that I'm not. Y'know, unless I am.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Oh, right. Well as far as I know XP is EOL with no further updates. But it's not your company security at risk so I'd just ignore it and get on with whatever else you were doing.

Chances are someone's son who's "good with computers" took a look, or they have an IT guy like Scott Alan Miller working there.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Acid Reflux posted:

Yeah, got that. :D Pretty sure they don't have anyone there savvy enough to make the change. Not a client at all, I'm not even working with computers anymore, for better or worse. Just trying to get someone I know to make an easily affordable (for them) change to two machines to bring them into this decade and eliminate the unnecessary risk. I think I'm done trying though, tired of being told I'm wrong when I'm all but certain that I'm not. Y'know, unless I am.

Run a scan against them. Present them with a list of all the different ways they're broken.

If you can't, then just walk away.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Acid Reflux posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off: wondering if I'm actually on the losing end of an Internet Argument™ about Windows XP. Did I miss a memo somewhere, or is it still possible to receive updates on a non-registry-modified XP Pro machine? Trying to convince someone that they need to get those computers off their goddamn business network, but they insist that they're getting security updates. Arguments to the contrary with links to the appropriate MS support pages are falling on deaf ears. Am I actually wrong here somehow?
You can still get updates without that registry hack, and all you need is a support contract with Microsoft.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Acid Reflux posted:

There are a few random updates that will show up on an unmodified XP SP3 computer, but it's been like i wanna say 3 updates total since the official end, while there's been like 30-40 updates on the registry modified track.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Acid Reflux posted:

poo poo that's pissing me off: wondering if I'm actually on the losing end of an Internet Argument™ about Windows XP. Did I miss a memo somewhere, or is it still possible to receive updates on a non-registry-modified XP Pro machine?

They could have Office 2007 or 2010 installed so are still getting updates for those delivered the same way as regular windows updates. Or comedy option of they are paying the crazy high fee to continue receiving updates.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

or they have an IT guy like Scott Alan Miller working there.

what? Who's he? what's the context behind this?

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Scott Alan Miller storage device is a roll your own san that is based on hp server parts originally. There is a lot of general misinformation and he posts on spiceworks a lot.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Scott Alan Miller is just a dude whose MSP took off explosively and whose wife does a really good job of directing the company.

The Spiceworks community is incredibly stupid. 90% windows desktop support admins who kindasorta sysadmin on the side, 10% vendors trying to sell their product.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I forgot about a third sub-category of "yesteryear's best-practice holdouts." If you want a good read, go to their Security subforum. So much snake oil; so many skewed / unrealistic "Well my feeling is..." perspectives on "issues" that are really just buzzfeed-style chain-posts from vendor representatives.

I rolled out Spiceworks when I got into my current gig two years ago just so we had SOMETHING for basic network scanning + helpdesk w/ semi-competent AD integration. At the time, the team had absolutely zilch asset information aside from an old Access database that was sometimes updated. I'm severely regretting not hammering in to the team harder, "This is a temporary fix, we should get something better once all the fires we're learning about are out." It's been long enough that dragging us away to something ITIL-compliant (we need it, badly) is going to be a pain in the rear end.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Sep 27, 2015

Acid Reflux
Oct 18, 2004

Thank you for the validation, everyone. I didn't think I'd missed something as important as a change to the EoL policy. I'm going to give him one more half-hearted info dump, and then just sit back and wait for him to get network herpes or something.

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Pulp. Pulp is pissing me off. Or at least our configuration of it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Acid Reflux posted:

Thank you for the validation, everyone. I didn't think I'd missed something as important as a change to the EoL policy. I'm going to give him one more half-hearted info dump, and then just sit back and wait for him to get network herpes or something.

I'd be tempted to just let it go. If it's just someone being wrong and refusing to admit it, well get used to that. Don't waste any more time on convincing someone that doesn't matter to you.

Storysmith
Dec 31, 2006

evol262 posted:

TL;DR

Do other people with a decade of experience feel like they "need" stuff to make them feel comfortable on default installs?

For certain values of 'default installs.'

My personal machine, where I do development and configuration management editing, has a crazily configured vim install that includes wonderful things like CtrlP and fugitive. I don't feel the need to distribute that on servers because, in my mind, if I'm logged into a server doing more than reading logs and tweaking config values, I'm at risk of creating another terrible special-snowflake machine that we can't easily rebuild and acquire the same configuration for via puppet.

The only thing I actually *do* miss when I'm shelled to a server, really, is zsh's fuzzy tab completion. I make typos like crazy, and being able to tab-complete my way from `/etc/init.d/aapche` to `/etc/init.d/apache2` or from /v/l/y<TAB> to /var/lib/yum is hella nice. But the fact that it would be installing another shell, with another security vulnerability list to track, and another dotfile to manage makes a strong case for just sucking it up and dealing with it.

We have a kickstart script we use to standardize (RHEL-based) server installs. The last thing it does is run puppet, taking the machine from RHEL's/CentOS's default install to our standard image. That standard image definitely has some things that are or were not in the default install: nmap, rsync, lsof, screen, tmux, an internet-sourced script that lets us know what processes are actually swapped out, the various PERC- and iDRAC-poking tools we base some of our monitoring around, etc.

We don't really distribute special snowflake configs for those utilities, though, with one exception: vim. We have a basic vimrc for root that sets nobackup and background=dark, because for the longest time, comments would be dark-blue-on-black and the first thing you'd do when editing any file was run ':set background=dark'.

That said, when it comes to these kinds of utilities, if someone came to me and said "hey, I need <thing> installed on <server>," I wouldn't outright deny them if they had a good reason. JQ, for instance, is now installed globally because someone asked for it on one project's machines, we put it there, and its effort reduction paid off. It's also how we got nmap installed: when you're dealing with systems with numerous firewalls between you and them, you sometimes need to know what ports can be seen from that server's perspective.

In other words, it's an odd balance for us, but it's at least centrally managed.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sounds like you have a sane setup then, with sensible tools installed for your use cases.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

I'd be tempted to just let it go. If it's just someone being wrong and refusing to admit it, well get used to that. Don't waste any more time on convincing someone that doesn't matter to you.

This. People are wrong constantly in this field, and the people that are wrong tend to be very stubborn about it. My boss still believes that McAfee Enterprise is worth using at the consumer level.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
I am wrong every drat day. Makes me wonder how many times in wrong and don't realize it.

I was confidently wrong straight to a VIPs face this morning. Had to sheepishly email her a few minutes later when I noticed I was incorrect.

At lunch she spoke to me again, real slow like I had a brain injury or something.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

"x isn't working, that means I get to go home, right?"

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Asmodai_00 posted:

My go-to reply:

Of course you can! While you're gone I'll just toss out this stupid thing and we can to back to keeping records on paper. Things was just better in the old days, right?

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

Asmodai_00 posted:

Yup! Go straight home. Don't email anyone, especially your supervisor, otherwise the rules of IT APP combat don't apply. Also, don't come in until I personally tell you everything's working.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Asmodai_00 posted:

I usually tell them I'm working on it and expect it to be back up well before the end of the day. They can grab a coffee if they'd like to and their boss is okay with it.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

spog posted:

Protip:

If you are hosting a teleconference for 90+ attendees, don't choose a service that announces when each individual caller enters or leaves the teleconference.

Pfft. I've never gotten any useful information from a teleconference. Throw that poo poo on mute and play angry birds, ask them to send you the documentation or for a 1 on 1 afterwards. As the number of people on a call go up the amount of time spent hearing answers to the dumbest loving questions in the world increases exponentially. At 90 callers it's basically a stupid apocalypse.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Rhymenoserous posted:

Pfft. I've never gotten any useful information from a teleconference. Throw that poo poo on mute and play angry birds, ask them to send you the documentation or for a 1 on 1 afterwards. As the number of people on a call go up the amount of time spent hearing answers to the dumbest loving questions in the world increases exponentially. At 90 callers it's basically a stupid apocalypse.

Yep

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
I got so fed up with the spiceworks ads/community/review stupidity I put them in my hosts file to make it go away. I use IE without any ad block for internal business apps, so that was the solution. If a good search pulls up something that might be useful, I just paste the URL

Add the following.spiceworks. com to your hosts file/firewall. Help desk works fine after this, we don't use any other parts.

Gekko
Community
Xact
Static

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

lampey posted:

Scott Alan Miller storage device is a roll your own san that is based on hp server parts originally. There is a lot of general misinformation and he posts on spiceworks a lot.

*begins gibbering and trying to eat the walls*

I remember when I posted on spiceworks and was looking for a new SAN/NAS that wasn't EMC level in costs and this guy responded with his SAM-SD nonsense. Then I posted about it here and started a SHSC meme :v:

Rhymenoserous fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 28, 2015

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

My direct manager at that job was a nut too. I'd travel maybe one or two times a month to a client site, and he'd refuse to pay for a car to the airport.

Typically because I'd work over the entire weekend, and after 40 hours of straight rack building and cabling I'd forget a couple thinks behind, like $25 hand trucks, and the boss was so pissed he refused to buy a new one.

Not quite the same scale as yours, but getting chided and having to justify purchases drives me batty; nothing I order is exactly extravagant and I grind my supplier right down to the bone on price, everything already is barebones and low spec as it is.

On a similar note being told you "Don't communicate enough" irks me, some of our sales guys were sending tens of thousands of bulk marketing E-mail out through their own company accounts, so I put a stop to that instantly with a generous 500 message daily limit along with a threatening E-mail to manager that we'll have a first class ticket to blacklist town if staff keep that up.

Finance manager: "You should've told me you were making such changes"
I did tell you, and I'll admit it was rash but the possible risk was far greater, and I don't want the directors on my rear end about it if it happened (again).

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer

Asmodai_00 posted:

It scans with no price, so therefore it's free, right?

Lord Dudeguy
Sep 17, 2006
[Insert good English here]
It's been a while, but seriously, gently caress DFS.

Follow all the requirements and best practices (Size, File Count, Separation per Volume, etc), and the Jet database shits itself on every volume. Microsoft's solution is "lol I dunno", most other blogs/Social TechNet posts just say "Blow it away and start over".

Then I wonder, "Why the hell are they using flimsy Jet DBs to handle this kind/amount of metadata?"

Then I wonder, "How in the hell am I not in an AA meeting yet?"

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
gently caress people who come to work sick.

CFO is trying to open a PDF that has a portfolio and the piece of poo poo requires Flash to work properly. I sit at his PC to work on it and he's sniffling and coughing like a motherfucker and I just want to yell "GO HOME YOU IDIOT."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Lord Dudeguy posted:

It's been a while, but seriously, gently caress DFS.

Follow all the requirements and best practices (Size, File Count, Separation per Volume, etc), and the Jet database shits itself on every volume. Microsoft's solution is "lol I dunno", most other blogs/Social TechNet posts just say "Blow it away and start over".

Then I wonder, "Why the hell are they using flimsy Jet DBs to handle this kind/amount of metadata?"

Then I wonder, "How in the hell am I not in an AA meeting yet?"

Everything in IT is just varying degrees of barely working poo poo. The more expensive it is, the more you get to make the flaws someone else's problem.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Which can often be more of a hindrance - EMC is poo poo and there's no way to just fix it yourself, you have to deal with their process and their layers.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Dick Trauma posted:

gently caress people who come to work sick.

CFO is trying to open a PDF that has a portfolio and the piece of poo poo requires Flash to work properly. I sit at his PC to work on it and he's sniffling and coughing like a motherfucker and I just want to yell "GO HOME YOU IDIOT."

Maybe if places offered actual sick leave these days people would do so. If a place just has a single "Paid Time Off" bucket that is both your vacation and sick leave there is every expectation that people will drag themselves in if at all physically possible unless a place offers the ability to work from home when sick.

Then again, a CFO probably has plenty of sick leave and has no excuse other than buying into the US corporate view that you belong to the company and all your time should be theirs etc.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

skooma512 posted:

Is the function of these server documented at least?

These servers are part of autoscaling groups behind load balancers. The base AMI is documented and updated with releases. Other than that, no. Severs come and go so often with the vagaries of scaling events that there's no point naming them. If an instance becomes unresponsive or errors out, the ASG shoots it in the head and spins up a new one within 5 minutes. I hear about it via an email that says, "hey a thing happened."

Herd, not pets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
So the AC unit we just put in at a client's server room is broken; but in a good way. It constantly blasts at full power now and the remote to control the temperature does exactly gently caress all. So the room is basically a fridge. Excellent for the gear. Total poo poo for the tech (me) that has to sit in here today.

We're talking 10C (50F) kinda cold. Might be a little cooler. Don't have an accurate temperature sensor in here at the moment (old one was literally smashed).