Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Scott: "I don’t dare judge anyone in these positions." Including the people convicted at Nuremberg after "just following orders." Yeah, that's great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

divabot posted:

Scott: "I don’t dare judge anyone in these positions." Including the people convicted at Nuremberg after "just following orders." Yeah, that's great.
An entirely sensible position IMO. I think it's near unimaginable for any of us to be in such a situation, and simply reserving judgement is a position hardly to be condemned, unless applied especially selectively.
On the other hand, reports wikipedia, the "Petrov single-handedly averted a nuclear WW3" thing is anti-Russian propaganda, at least according to Russian sources: "Under no circumstances a decision to use nuclear weapons could be made or even considered in the Soviet Union (Russia) or in the United States on the basis of data from a single source or a system. For this to happen, a confirmation is necessary from several systems: ground-based radars, early warning satellites, intelligence reports, etc."

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012

my younger brother's community college criminology professor's midterm assignment posted:

In her former leadership role as speaker of the US House of Representatives, California's (sigh) Nancy Pelosi suggested that hundreds of millions of dollars in the President's Stimulus Package might be effectively channeled to fund sex education and birth control. Under some pressure, she later relented. But now, let us (good student-thinkers) help her out. Using what you have discovered (read) about "eugenics" (with the Jukes and the Kallikaks), could this approach not aid in lessening the load on our own collective tax-paying shoulders? Let us say that you were allowed to play the role of God-the-Insensitive-Economist or God-the-Sensitive-Sociologist (this is part were I told my younger brother this guy could go gently caress himself).

How might you justify the use or non-use of "eugenics" in curbing crime, disease, poverty, homelessness, a declining economy...? Dammit we owe China trillions. Could we not simply snip, dice, tuck, and cut certain reproductive systems of recently incarcerated offenders or mental defectives to lessen society's evil perpetrators who have just been recently incarcerated (read the newspapers... they ain't that hard to find if you do a little research). And don't forget the domicidal challenged urban outdoorsmen (homeless). Your task is not that simple or easy.

Justify eugenics as an enabling tool for human progress, or vilify it as a class-based instrument of discrimination. Do it (wait for it...) rationally, and with obvious critical thinking. Logic helps but is not necessary. If ever you had to do research and think on your own, this is it... in 2-3 pages, no more. Just remember, if your career plans have you earning more than $31,000 per annum, you assume fiscal responsibility for one more fellow American, regardless of his or her status in life.
It's a "heart vs head" thing.

Argue Eugenics (for or against)

I told him to get his A in the class and get the gently caress out of there

BornAPoorBlkChild has a new favorite as of 16:31 on Sep 27, 2015

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Race Realists posted:

Dammit we owe China trillions
What's with the amateurish, colloquial style? I can admittedly not even imagine an actual professor writing like this.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Cingulate posted:

What's with the amateurish, colloquial style? I can admittedly not even imagine an actual professor writing like this.

I've seen it before. I had an anti-vaxer professor who wrote a lot like that in a class on the anthropology of science and technology. Also another in a course on the US up to 1865. Some professors think a 'jokey' and casual style will endear them to students.

BornAPoorBlkChild
Sep 24, 2012
I'd ask my brother if he's ever heard of Freep, but nah

like, the dude is literally hiding in plain sight

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Who is this guy? Kind of curious about publications now, from a "criminologist" who believes in biology as a root cause of crime.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Race Realists posted:

You are aware that there are different types of eugenics philosophy, right? Positive, negative, active, and passive. It's not that hard to form an argument for some of the less-bad kinds, although the "remember if you make X money then you are responsible for another person" thing is weird as gently caress.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

coyo7e posted:

You are aware that there are different types of eugenics philosophy, right? Positive, negative, active, and passive. It's not that hard to form an argument for some of the less-bad kinds, although the "remember if you make X money then you are responsible for another person" thing is weird as gently caress.
Everything about the thing RR posted is terrible. As gently caress.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jack Gladney posted:

Who is this guy? Kind of curious about publications now, from a "criminologist" who believes in biology as a root cause of crime.

Maybe it's the guy who narrates Rocky Horror Picture Show

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Race Realists posted:

Not that I'm blaming you for your brother's insane professor, but this is a pretty amazing username-post combo.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.

Jack Gladney posted:

It's a community college so I doubt the guy has a publication history.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
Also, in case anyone was wondering why the forums have been slow on and off for the last week or so:

Lowtax posted:

Actually we were being DDoSed for several days

Lowtax posted:

same reason I'm currently being doxxed, I made fun of Gamergate

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Race Realists posted:

How is eugenics even remotely connected to criminology?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

Also, in case anyone was wondering why the forums have been slow on and off for the last week or so:

Back on the front lines of popular culture (that nobody cares about), baby!

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT

Wales Grey posted:

How is eugenics even remotely connected to criminology?
Eugenics, particularly in the United States, was intimately connected to crime prevention.

quote:

The tenets of modern criminology according to Lydston in brief are these

1. The criminal and vice classes are the product of certain Influences of heredity, congenital and acquired disease, and unfavorable surroundings involving pernicious teaching and example, physical necessities and other social maladies.
2. These influences result in a class of persons of a low grade of development, physically and mentally, with a defective understanding of their true relations to the social system in which they live. Such persons have no true conception of that variable thing called morality and in the case of the criminal, no respect whatever for the rights of others save in so far as it may be compelled by fear of punishment. Some become criminals, some paupers, and still others prostitutes, inebriates, or insane
3 These subjects are characterized upon the average by certain anomalies of development that constitute the so-called stigmata or marks of degeneracy. In them vice crime and disease go hand in hand

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Strudel Man posted:

Eugenics, particularly in the United States, was intimately connected to crime prevention.

Yeah pretty much every modern society that has crime experimented with sterilization of criminals at one point or another. The fact that it never put a dent in their nation's crime rates is usually unsaid in favor of "JESUS gently caress WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU. WHY WOULD YOU SUGGEST THAT YOU MONSTER" :fuckoff:

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Heresiarch posted:

It's about ethics in internet comedy forums

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Heresiarch posted:

:laffo:

I hadn't even noticed.

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Strudel Man posted:

Turns out it was lead paint, and it would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those darn meddlin' EPA kids! :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Has anyone ever made a joke about it being all about ethnics in video games journalism?

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Heresiarch posted:

(Lowtaxed DDoSed and doxxed for making fun of Gamergate)

Gamergate actually about freedom. The freedom to forcibly shut up anyone who disagrees with us. For ethics in game journalism. Nothing suspicious here!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
To give credit where it's due, today I'm having a reasonable and interesting discussion with Wesley about popular music, wherein he basically knows what he's talking about (ICP fandom notwithstanding), and hopefully I do too. Nothing NRx about it, though I admit I used the word "reactionary" deliberately.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Laserjet 4P posted:

Turns out it was lead paint, and it would've gotten away with it if it weren't for those darn meddlin' EPA kids! :v:
That's certainly a noteworthy theory, but I tend not to find it terribly compelling, because while the removal of lead-based paints and the switch to unleaded gasoline tracks well with the decline in crime rates since the 90s, it is an extremely poor match for the long rise since the 60s to get to that point. From what I've read, use of lead paint peaked in the 20s, which would suggest there should have been a crime peak around the 40s, not 50 years later.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

divabot posted:

To give credit where it's due

Please don't. That's what's made several blogs I used to like unreadable, as I now have to slog through debates with multiple neo-nazi interlocutors every time they say anything.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Heresiarch posted:

Lowtax needs to ride his new status as a foe of Gamergate to fame and fortune by convincing the UN to give him lots of ten dollar bills to fight internet harassment.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

It's glorious to see their butthurt over Anita and Zoe getting UN recognition. Breitbart tears are so funny considering that they wouldn't be there if they just decided to not overreact. It makes me smile something fierce.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Strudel Man posted:

That's certainly a noteworthy theory, but I tend not to find it terribly compelling, because while the removal of lead-based paints and the switch to unleaded gasoline tracks well with the decline in crime rates since the 90s, it is an extremely poor match for the long rise since the 60s to get to that point. From what I've read, use of lead paint peaked in the 20s, which would suggest there should have been a crime peak around the 40s, not 50 years later.

There could be other factors that would cause crime to peak independent of brain damage. A big population spike might be one. Also, leaded gasoline use certainly didn't peak in the 20s.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Annointed posted:

It's glorious to see their butthurt over Anita and Zoe getting UN recognition. Breitbart tears are so funny considering that they wouldn't be there if they just decided to not overreact. It makes me smile something fierce.

Breitbart and Gamergate are the coyote, and Anita and Zoe are the roadrunner.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I still cant believe that the conservative establishment took a look at gamergate and decided to court those turds as the youth vote worth securing. I suppose their obesity and poor hygiene mean that very few will live long enough to collect social security.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Jack Gladney posted:

I still cant believe that the conservative establishment took a look at gamergate and decided to court those turds as the youth vote worth securing. I suppose their obesity and poor hygiene mean that very few will live long enough to collect social security.

I wouldn't call Breitbard et al the "conservative establishment". They desperately want to be but they're actually a liability for mainstream American conservatism in the same way that the Tea Party types are, since they're trying to force the Republican party further and further into extremism.

On the other hand, gators are the perfect target for conservative youth vote since they've already wrapped their self-image up in conspicuous consumption and tribalism.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
If you want to get angry about the plight of low status males, get angry at reactionaries courting depressive and outcast young men as disposable shock troops for their culture war.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The system profits immensely from gamergate and Breitbart and Trump. It gives the left the idea that evil can, and must, somehow be dealt with within the system. Like, we can just deal with Fat Nerdy White Males and racism sexism et al. (and probably, somehow, climate change?!?) will be gone. We don't need a revolution, capitalism can continue.

:(

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Jack Gladney posted:

The establishment are irrelevant now. They tried to ride this tiger for 40 years and now it's eating them.

Wales Grey
Jun 20, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

I was going to riff on the usage of "morals" instead of "ethics" squarely dating your excerpt as 18th century pseudosociology, but then I remembered there are still people who write about "morals" in the context of a culture or society being "moral". :eng99:

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Cingulate posted:

The system profits immensely from gamergate and Breitbart and Trump. It gives the left the idea that evil can, and must, somehow be dealt with within the system. Like, we can just deal with Fat Nerdy White Males and racism sexism et al. (and probably, somehow, climate change?!?) will be gone. We don't need a revolution, capitalism can continue.

:(

I presume you mean the American "left" which is a bunch of business-friendly centrists by anybody else's measurement.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Annointed posted:

The site is named for and was started by a man who was caught on video screaming at OWS protesters shortly before dying from a heart attack. Overreaction is in its code.

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

And if anybody's missed it, this obit is probably the best thing you can read about Breitbart. If you read nothing else, jump to the final paragraph.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Heresiarch posted:

I presume you mean the American "left" which is a bunch of business-friendly centrists by anybody else's measurement.
Anybody who believes racism, sexism etc. can be ended within capitalism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jack Gladney posted:

There could be other factors that would cause crime to peak independent of brain damage. A big population spike might be one. Also, leaded gasoline use certainly didn't peak in the 20s.
All true, but it's still a rather glaring hole in what is usually proposed as a comprehensive explanation.

Wales Grey posted:

I was going to riff on the usage of "morals" instead of "ethics" squarely dating your excerpt as 18th century pseudosociology, but then I remembered there are still people who write about "morals" in the context of a culture or society being "moral". :eng99:
I don't really see what's inappropriate about the term.

quote:

Ninety-nine percent of all new income generated today goes to the top 1 percent. The top one-tenth of 1 percent owns as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent. Does anybody think this is the kind of economy we should have. Do we think it's moral?

Strudel Man has a new favorite as of 01:32 on Sep 28, 2015