Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

lfield posted:

I want a game where you play as The Boss building the Cobra Unit during WWII. Nazi super-soldier plot. Hitler in a Metal Gear.

You finally get to the top of the Eagle's Nest to fight with Hitler Gear, but then it turns out his head was just exploded by a man with a bionic arm. Crossover time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Let's say... hypothetically... I want to beat 45 with only the GROM Quiet gives you and whatever's lying around the mission area. Anyone got any ideas for this? Abusing the building was my main thought but the GROM takes forever to actually kill anything so other vehicles start rolling up on you in short order and things get messy. If you're drawing attention Quiet doesn't take a whole lot of damage or anything but I don't know if she could finish the mission by herself (does she use the AMR Butterfly in the mission if you equipped it on her?), nor whether I could safely bullet hell 14 vehicles long enough for Quiet to take them out. I tried the mortars but the one at your start position is instantly destroyed by the first tank and the rest don't survive long. I'd thought there was a mortar on the palace roof but there isn't.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Was anyone else expecting the life raft that huey was on to suddenly be popped by gunfire? I forgot that he died years later so I was surprised that he got away scot free basically.
Also holy poo poo poor Strangelove, and paz......and chico.....

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Nakar posted:

Let's say... hypothetically... I want to beat 45 with only the GROM Quiet gives you and whatever's lying around the mission area. Anyone got any ideas for this? Abusing the building was my main thought but the GROM takes forever to actually kill anything so other vehicles start rolling up on you in short order and things get messy. If you're drawing attention Quiet doesn't take a whole lot of damage or anything but I don't know if she could finish the mission by herself (does she use the AMR Butterfly in the mission if you equipped it on her?), nor whether I could safely bullet hell 14 vehicles long enough for Quiet to take them out. I tried the mortars but the one at your start position is instantly destroyed by the first tank and the rest don't survive long. I'd thought there was a mortar on the palace roof but there isn't.

call in air strikes

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

call in air strikes
I also want an S rank so no fire support or weather changing. I suppose Mist/Armor Parasites but that's against the spirit of the challenge.

Pequod can be called to the LZ you later have to travel to, so in theory if Pequod could be lured into the area of operations then he could do it for me. But I think the LZ is too far away for him to move in on the tanks.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also, people have already kind of talked about this, but I think the next-to-last Paz tape is really powerful. Where Paz realizes that it's still three days until Peace Day, but it was three days away yesterday, and starts freaking out about repeating the same day over and over. Because something about a mental projection who isn't real recognizing that their reality is breaking somehow says a lot about Venom's own delusions. He's not just hallucinating someone from his perspective, his empathy for that person is informing his mental projection of that person "from that person's point of view". Which I think is a really well done idea. I thought it was really chilling, ominous, and a bit sad when I heard it.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I died multiple times in Mission 45 because those PIECE OF poo poo TANK TURRETS TRACK YOU WHEREVER YOU GO.

Especially that last T-80 tank that hit me directly in the chest after peeking to see if it was still alive. All of these tries Quiet did not get hurt at all, goddamnit.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Venom was just really looking forward to Peace Day because he's a huge Paz fan. The reason those anime posters keep showing up even though nobody else seems to notice them or care? Delusions. Medic was a huge Paz idol fanboy and having this forever denied to him has driven him to madness.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Brazilianpeanutwar posted:

Was anyone else expecting the life raft that huey was on to suddenly be popped by gunfire? I forgot that he died years later so I was surprised that he got away scot free basically.
Also holy poo poo poor Strangelove, and paz......and chico.....

If you know how Huey dies, he didn't get off scot-free.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

If you know how Huey dies, he didn't get off scot-free.

He really does though. He never get's what's coming to him for all his murders and war crimes. he just finally can't escape his own patheticity and tried to murder-suicide his adopted daughter (right?)

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I enjoyed the tapes after completing mission 46 more than the cutscenes and felt like those were a better ending. Too bad most players are probably ignoring the tapes. My roommate is also playing the game but is still at mission 31 and its fun to catch all the hints that are dropped about you not being snake. There is a lot of details that don't make sense until you replay the game.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Sep 27, 2015

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Snak posted:

He really does though. He never get's what's coming to him for all his murders and war crimes. he just finally can't escape his own patheticity and tried to murder-suicide his adopted daughter (right?)

After finding out his wife is cheating on him with his own son.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

After finding out his wife is cheating on him with his own son.

yeah, so you could say that's karma, I guess, be he never gets brought to trial for all his poo poo.

Like after everything that every other MGS character has gone through, that's like the most "get over it" poo poo ever. Boo hoo.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Snak posted:

yeah, so you could say that's karma, I guess, be he never gets brought to trial for all his poo poo.

Like after everything that every other MGS character has gone through, that's like the most "get over it" poo poo ever. Boo hoo.

If you're looking for serious justice in metal gear, you've come to the wrong place.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hal cuckolding Huey is ultimate justice. gently caress that guy, his fate was truly fitting.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I don't think they should have killed Huey but sending him off to merrily scoot back to Cipher with insanely in-depth knowledge of everything about DD's R&D was extremely dumb.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Panzeh posted:

If you're looking for serious justice in metal gear, you've come to the wrong place.

Well I didn't say I was looking for it, but someone said he didn't get off scot-free. He did for all the terrible things he did in this game. But it turns out he was so pathetic that he killed himself for a totally unrelated bad thing happening to him.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I don't think they should have killed Huey but sending him off to merrily scoot back to Cipher with insanely in-depth knowledge of everything about DD's R&D was extremely dumb.

Does that really matter thought since Ocelot was working for Cipher anyway? In a way Miller was on contract to do remake mother base from Zero also.

Also there is that dialogue between Ocelot and Miller where Ocelot says something along the lines of "when you decide to go back to Cipher."

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Sep 27, 2015

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
I think we can all agree : gently caress huey Also I think i'm completely done with this game, at least for two or 3 months, I've burned myself out on it.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Does that really matter thought since Ocelot was working for Cipher anyway? In a way Miller was on contract to do remake mother base from Zero also.

Also there is that dialogue between Ocelot and Miller where Ocelot says something along the lines of "when you decide to go back to Cipher."
Venom made the call to let Huey go though and he has no idea about any of this at that point.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Snak posted:

Oh man, which Quiet going away and the whole child soldiers theme already existing, it would have been really cool if after Quiet left, Venom found 10 year old Sniper Wolf and she became a buddy. It'd be a really good game-play/theme interaction, because most players would want to use her because they want Quiet's functionality, so it would give them incentive to deploy a child soldier.

I am already envisioning a totally adorable cutscene where shell-shocked Little Wolf uses DD as a therapy buddy. IT MAKES SENSE DOESN'T IT?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Sniper Wolf then rides D-Dog to get around.

InfinityComplex
Feb 5, 2011

Nothing better than swinging around a little girl like a flail.

Nakar posted:

I also want an S rank so no fire support or weather changing. I suppose Mist/Armor Parasites but that's against the spirit of the challenge.

Pequod can be called to the LZ you later have to travel to, so in theory if Pequod could be lured into the area of operations then he could do it for me. But I think the LZ is too far away for him to move in on the tanks.

I saw this watching a friend doing mission 45. You can call in Pequod as a pick up on the end mission LZ and he will go to your site and help you clear up any vehicles on the ground.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The guy threw his own robot legs, the only thing he really cares about, into the ocean. I think that is more justice than just killing him.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Bholder posted:

The guy threw his own robot legs, the only thing he really cares about, into the ocean. I think that is more justice than just killing him.

Like he won't be able to just build more as soon as he reaches dry land. I'm sure the first thing he does is tip an old person out of their hoverround. And then claim that they threatened him and that it was self-defense. They MADE him do it!

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
This game changed my opinion about Huey, for the better. At first I didn't like he was basically Otacon but disabled. During the trial scene when Huey was saying "I wasn't a bad guy I didn't know better, we shouldn't have had a nuke anyway" the obvious explanation is that he's super insecure and defensive and obsessively desires some kind of validation. Huey isn't even his name! That's probably why he killed/failed to save Strangelove, despite having sex with him and being a father, she doesn't love or even really respect him. She only loves The Boss. Huey's spite killed her. Through malice or neglect, Huey's spite caused an epidemic at MB, and defensively puts the blame on someone else (Venom seemed okay with that, considering that's his shtick, but BB probably would have killed him). That's ultimately probably why he killed himself. His wife preferred to gently caress Huey with legs, Hal.

Huey's obviously full of poo poo, right? If he thought MB shouldn't have a nuke, why'd he help hide Zeke? Except he did actually did dispose of Zeke, under the ocean. If he honestly didn't know the IAEA was a ruse, how easy would it have been to engineer a character flaw?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yeah I agree, I really liked how they did Huey. I also liked how even Skullface is disgusted with him.

Snak posted:

Like he won't be able to just build more as soon as he reaches dry land. I'm sure the first thing he does is tip an old person out of their hoverround. And then claim that they threatened him and that it was self-defense. They MADE him do it!

He needs the archaea to make them for some reason so he's probably screwed. Better make another walking wheelchair.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt
Anyone have a gif of Skullface shoving Huey down the stairs? That was A Good Thing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The fact that so many people despise the horrible poo poo is proof positive that he was done well. People only like to really laugh at Skullyboy where as he's meant to be the main villain but Huey is an atrocious piece of poo poo.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Still kinda sad we never reclaimed Zeke. That seemed to be such a deliberate thing to talk about but nothing came of it. :saddowns:

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

For all their mistakes, Hal and Dave aren't anywhere near their fathers' level of dirtbag. This is the final lesson.

Snak posted:

Sniper Wolf then rides D-Dog to get around.

This but with Quiet giving her a piggyback ride from which to snipe fools.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

RatHat posted:

He needs the archaea to make them for some reason so he's probably screwed. Better make another walking wheelchair.

Nah, he needed archaea for that specific design. He whipped up Battle Gear in like, no time. Of course he overengineered those legs to a fault. It's not like he won't just come up with a new design.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Huey builds new legs and spends the rest of his pathetic life scared shitless that Big Boss, Miller, and Ocelot are going to have him offed in the night.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Funky Valentine posted:

Huey builds new legs and spends the rest of his pathetic life scared shitless that Big Boss, Miller, and Ocelot are going to have him offed in the night.

Yeah, ha. One of my friends said it was probably like this and that suited me.

Reminds me of one of my favourite mission chains in City of Heroes. You're meant to track down and kill a specific person in a certain mission within a certain time limit, but if that limit expires the story is tweaked as if you deliberately allowed him to escape. The epilogue makes a point of showing how your victim never rests, never stops running, never stop thinking you're just over his shoulder. It was really, really satisfying.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Why did Paz want Zero killed? I played PW but it was a long time ago and I don't remember.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Why did Paz want Zero killed? I played PW but it was a long time ago and I don't remember.

Uh because she was an Angel of Peace? She was a student!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

We'll never know what Kindly Illuminati Grandpa Zero told Ordinary Japanese Highschool Student of Peace Paz exactly, but she seems to be convinced that to defy or fail Cipher is a fate worse than death.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

SPACE HOMOS posted:

This was Skullface mindfucking Paz in a different way. He convinced her to tell him where Zero is by telling her that all the bad stuff happening to her is really coming from Zero's orders, "ssssoo, if you'd tell me where he's hiding out, I can kill him and you'll be ok!"

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Nakar posted:

I took this on to justify my earlier bragging about how 45 isn't really as hard as it can be made out to be.

Holy poo poo the 2 star Grom does barely any damage

This doesn't matter because if you take alternating pot shots from the north and south ends of the building, you never get fired upon because the enemy can't decide whether to target your last known position or Quiet.

The secret ingredient over taking a good launcher: I hope you were practicing your brass balls vehicle fultoning on Backup Back down and Proxy War Without End or the last couple tanks might kill Quiet before your piddly Grom does any real damage. Make sure they are distracted by Quiet and you have a good vector on your target that excludes the firing lines of any other active armor, and fulton dive like the Big Boss you are. This is also useful for the APCs that drive up, but be aware they are functioning as actual APCs and will drop dudes off, maybe into your face, so bring a shotgun or whatever you like to kill soldiers.

Did it on I think my 3rd try from the mid fight checkpoint. Every death is directly attributable to getting greedy with a second shot while the armor was acquiring me as a target. Max rank combat armor seemed useful for the soldiers, if not any of the big guns.

If someone can do that challenge without getting Quiet hurt (besides parasite armor fultoning), they are the true Metal Gear anti tank masters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
So I finally got around to reading the spoilery bits of the guide and there was a really funny bit where they said "konami said we can't reveal the identity of Ishmael. Here's a list of similarities he has to big boss, here are some reasons he's not a hallucination, and here are some clues pointing to venom snake not being big boss. We have no idea what any of this information could possibly point to."

• Locked thread