Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

mdemone posted:

Emissions tests are done by elevating the car and running the front wheels only. The VW system detected when the drivetrain was only running the front wheels, and did…something…to reduce engine emissions drastically. Like maybe the diesel part was temporarily disconnected, I dunno. But anyway that's how the car was able to detect that it was being tested.

The unbelievable balls this must have taken. I wonder how high up the chain of command that decision went -- as a CEO, shouldn't you be paranoid enough to imagine that someday, somebody's going to catch you out on such a simple trick?

I imagine this was an 'open secret' among the German manufacturers and I really won't be surprised if it turns out the German gov't was in on it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I wouldn't be surprised either, Germany is rotten to the bone and when they're not producing Nazis they're getting their debts forgiven (while not forgiving the debts of others) or cheating on emissions tests (while sanctimoniously declaring to the world that Germany is a carbon emissions reduction leader). Seriously, gently caress Germany.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Radbot posted:

I wouldn't be surprised either, Germany is rotten to the bone and when they're not producing Nazis they're getting their debts forgiven (while not forgiving the debts of others) or cheating on emissions tests (while sanctimoniously declaring to the world that Germany is a carbon emissions reduction leader). Seriously, gently caress Germany.

Not to mention acting really green and ecologically conscious while replacing nuclear power with fossil fuels and having a seriously hosed up agricultural sector that gets subsidised into excessive emissions, runoff and land use more than in neighbouring countries.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Luckily the VW scandal didn't impact CO2 emissions really, just NOx.

mdemone posted:

Emissions tests are done by elevating the car and running the front wheels only. The VW system detected when the drivetrain was only running the front wheels, and did…something…to reduce engine emissions drastically. Like maybe the diesel part was temporarily disconnected, I dunno. But anyway that's how the car was able to detect that it was being tested.

Diesel engines generally have lower emissions, power and fuel economy when run at a lower combustion temp. The VW ECU detected the ODBII/dynamo was being used and dramatically turned down the combustion temp. This made them pass emissions, but also would trash fuel economy, engine power and the engine itself to do for long periods of time.

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

Luckily the VW scandal didn't impact CO2 emissions really, just NOx.

NOx is arguably worse than CO2, as it directly and definitely kills people today, whereas CO2 might be killing people today and could kill people in the future, and the negative effects can hypothetically be prevented. While loss of glaciers, extinctions, loss of agricultural production and rising sea levels are Bad Things, if human deaths can be prevented, they are less bad than NOx poisoning. I'm not suggesting that human deaths and degradation of living standards will be avoided, just that they could be, unlike the effects of NOx.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Placid Marmot posted:

NOx is arguably worse than CO2, as it directly and definitely kills people today, whereas CO2 might be killing people today and could kill people in the future, and the negative effects can hypothetically be prevented. While loss of glaciers, extinctions, loss of agricultural production and rising sea levels are Bad Things, if human deaths can be prevented, they are less bad than NOx poisoning. I'm not suggesting that human deaths and degradation of living standards will be avoided, just that they could be, unlike the effects of NOx.

True, but at least there is a regulatory framework to handle NOx, unlike CO2. The marginal difference of these VW vehicles emitting 30-40x what a compliant vehicle will use is a drop in the bucket compared to the positive effect of NOx regulations.

The fact that the regulations in the US are stricter is a large part of the reason VW cheated in the first place. In some ways its proof the regulations work, as VW chose to emit 30-40x more pollution as soon as they thought they could get around the regulation.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeb-bush-climate-change-pope_56047a10e4b08820d91c57bc?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&section=politics

Jeb Bush: The Pope Shouldn't Discuss Climate Change Because 'He's Not A Scientist'
"Put aside Pope Francis on the subject of any political conversation."

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

pillsburysoldier posted:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/jeb-bush-climate-change-pope_56047a10e4b08820d91c57bc?ncid=fcbklnkushpmg00000013&section=politics

Jeb Bush: The Pope Shouldn't Discuss Climate Change Because 'He's Not A Scientist'

That's what he said about the Scientists too :v:

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

pillsburysoldier posted:

neither is jeb

Placid Marmot
Apr 28, 2013

Trabisnikof posted:

True, but at least there is a regulatory framework to handle NOx, unlike CO2. The marginal difference of these VW vehicles emitting 30-40x what a compliant vehicle will use is a drop in the bucket compared to the positive effect of NOx regulations.

The fact that the regulations in the US are stricter is a large part of the reason VW cheated in the first place. In some ways its proof the regulations work, as VW chose to emit 30-40x more pollution as soon as they thought they could get around the regulation.

There's not much point having a regulatory framework if it is not adhered to (see: many cities in Europe), and if the vehicles that are expected to reduce the levels of NOx (by replacing more polluting vehicles) actually increase it - indeed, cheating on emissions tests could be a reason why so many European cities still have excess levels of NOx. When the UK ends up having to pay the fine for excess NOx pollution that they've been trying to avoid, are they going to charge it to VW?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Placid Marmot posted:

There's not much point having a regulatory framework if it is not adhered to (see: many cities in Europe), and if the vehicles that are expected to reduce the levels of NOx (by replacing more polluting vehicles) actually increase it - indeed, cheating on emissions tests could be a reason why so many European cities still have excess levels of NOx. When the UK ends up having to pay the fine for excess NOx pollution that they've been trying to avoid, are they going to charge it to VW?

But that's the whole point, we are adhering to our regulatory framework, by beating VW over the head with a big stick.

I'm not sure what the standards are like in Europe (I know its not as strict as California), but my napkin math makes it seem that a single evil-VW would be emitting NOx at the level of a pre-2003 model year medium duty diesel truck. So very bad, but unlikely to dramatically change overall NOx levels considering the number of evil-VWs on the road.

Besides, NOx causes localized cooling, so VW was just trying to help combat climate change :v:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

The new VW Golf, with inbuilt geoengineering.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

blowfish posted:

The new VW Golf, with inbuilt geoengineering.

Mission to Mars is go!

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

pillsburysoldier posted:

Inhofe denies the pope even said anything about climate change:

quote:

“To me, my interpretation of that it had nothing to do with climate change,” said Sen. Inhofe.
“He wasn’t strong at all when he talked about this,” the Inhofe said on Washington Watch on Thursday. “He never used the term ‘climate change’ or ‘global warming.’ I can tell you right now, the liberal Democrats that were sitting there were very disappointed in him. Now when he talks about the most serious effects of environmental deterioration, well you got to keep in mind, that goes back to the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendment.”

Inhofe cited the Clear Air Act as a “success” saying it lowered the pollution in the air while the population grew and electricity use increased.

“To me, my interpretation of that it had nothing to do with climate change,” said Inhofe.

“All they wanted him to do was say the term global warming or climate change,” the Oklahoma senator added, saying Democrats glossed over other parts of the pope’s message.
Yes it's Buzzfeed but gently caress listening to whatever the poo poo Washington Watch is.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

pillsburysoldier posted:

Pope Francis has training as a chemistry lab tech.

Also he worked as a bouncer before flipping his collar.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Oh yeah, there was a joint U.S.-China statement on Climate Change today: https://www.whitehouse.gov/the-press-office/2015/09/25/us-china-joint-presidential-statement-climate-change

My choice highlights -

quote:

6. The two sides recognize that Parties’ mitigation efforts are crucial steps in a longer-range effort needed to transition to green and low-carbon economies and they should move in the direction of greater ambition over time. Further, the United States and China underscore the importance of formulating and making available mid-century strategies for the transition to low-carbon economies, mindful of the below 2 degree C global temperature goal. Both sides also emphasize the need for global low-carbon transformation during the course of this century.

8. The two sides reaffirm that, in the context of meaningful mitigation actions and transparency on implementation, developed countries committed to a goal of mobilizing jointly USD 100 billion a year by 2020 to address the needs of developing countries and that this funding would come from a wide variety of sources, public and private, bilateral and multilateral, including alternative sources of finance. They underscore the importance of continued, robust financial support beyond 2020 to help developing countries build low-carbon and climate-resilient societies. They urge continued support by developed countries to developing countries and encourage such support by other countries willing to do so.

11. Since last November’s Joint Announcement, the United States has taken major steps to reduce its emissions, and it is announcing important additional implementation plans today. In August 2015, the United States finalized the Clean Power Plan, which will reduce CO2 emissions from the power sector to 32% below 2005 levels by 2030. In 2016, the United States will finalize a federal plan to implement carbon emission standards for power plants in states that do not choose to design their own implementation plans under the Clean Power Plan. The United States commits to finalize its next-stage, world-class fuel efficiency standards for heavy-duty vehicles in 2016 and implement them in 2019. In August 2015, the United States proposed separate standards for methane emissions from landfills and the oil and gas sector, and commits to finalize both standards in 2016. In July 2015, the United States finalized significant new measures to reduce use and emissions of HFCs through the Significant New Alternatives Policy (SNAP) program, and commits today to continue to pursue new actions in 2016 to reduce HFC use and emissions. Finally, in the buildings sector, the United States commits to finalize over 20 efficiency standards for appliances and equipment by the end of 2016.

12. China is making great efforts to advance ecological civilization and promote green, low-carbon, climate resilient and sustainable development through accelerating institutional innovation and enhancing policies and actions. China will lower carbon dioxide emissions per unit of GDP by 60% to 65% from the 2005 level by 2030 and increase the forest stock volume by around 4.5 billion cubic meters on the 2005 level by 2030. China will promote green power dispatch, giving priority, in distribution and dispatching, to renewable power generation and fossil fuel power generation of higher efficiency and lower emission levels. China also plans to start in 2017 its national emission trading system, covering key industry sectors such as iron and steel, power generation, chemicals, building materials, paper-making, and nonferrous metals. China commits to promote low-carbon buildings and transportation, with the share of green buildings reaching 50% in newly built buildings in cities and towns by 2020 and the share of public transport in motorized travel reaching 30% in big- and medium-sized cities by 2020. It will finalize next-stage fuel efficiency standards for heavy-duty vehicles in 2016 and implement them in 2019. Actions on HFCs continue to be supported and accelerated, including effectively controlling HFC-23 emissions by 2020.

This is certainly setting an aggressive tone going into Paris. Cap & Trade by 2017 & 60-65% decrease in CO2 per unit of GDP by 2030 are both huge.

quote:

China followed up its promise Friday to create the world's largest cap-and-trade program with yet another significant climate policy announcement: It will commit to spending $3.1 billion to help developing countries slash their greenhouse gas emissions and adapt to climate change. China's financial commitment, along with its new carbon market, are part of a comprehensive package of climate measures to be announced at a joint press conference featuring US President Barack Obama and Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday in Washington, DC.

The new pledge, emerging from high-profile bilateral talks between the two countries, "is a game changer in international climate politics," says Li Shuo, a climate policy analyst for Greenpeace. "It is a drastic increase from China's previous finance commitments."

"In terms of scale, 3.1 billion USD could even surpass the US pledge to the Green Climate Fund, which still faces a significant battle in the US Congress," Li said in an email.

Last year, Obama pledged $3 billion to the United Nation's Green Climate Fund during a G20 meeting in Brisbane, Australia. That pledge followed a landmark climate deal forged last year between the United States and China that set the stage for today's agreement.

But Obama's commitment to the Green Climate Fund still faces stiff opposition at home from congressional Republicans who have vowed to block the White House's first funding request of $500 million. Sen. James Inhofe, who chairs the committee on the environment and public works, has said he will do everything in his power "to prevent $3 billion in taxpayer dollars from going to the Green Climate Fund, where the money will be spent by unelected UN bureaucrats to dictate U.S. policy and hinder developing countries’ ability to aggressively address the economics of poverty."

On Friday, China will also commit to controlling public investment flowing into high-polluting industries, both domestically and internationally, according to the briefings received by Greenpeace, signaling a top-down response in a country that exerts an enormous influence over the direction of markets.

(http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2015/09/china-climate-change-finance-obama-xi-pledge)

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Sep 26, 2015

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
The AP will now be calling climate change "skeptics" climate change "doubters"

I dunno, I guess the jury's still out, and it's not like they're rejecting the Holocaust, so we still can't call them "deniers"! :smug:

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Sep 26, 2015

SKELETONS
May 8, 2014
there is a difference between someone like judith curry, who probably ought to be called a skeptic, since she is published in the field, and someone like rush limbaugh who just dismisses things out of hand. I wouldn't lump both those together under the category 'denier' so even this change goes too far imo. skeptic is the right term in some cases.

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Curry doesn't actually doubt climate change, though. She just thinks climate scientists don't coddle the deniers enough.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

How do you distinguish between people who deny anthropogenic climate change vs. those who deny climate change altogether?

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

The AP will now be calling climate change "skeptics" climate change "doubters"

I dunno, I guess the jury's still out, and it's not like they're rejecting the Holocaust, so we still can't call them "deniers"! :smug:

The AP of course prefers the long form "those who reject mainstream climate science" but that's a mouthful.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

enraged_camel posted:

How do you distinguish between people who deny anthropogenic climate change vs. those who deny climate change altogether?

How often they use the term "natural".

esto es malo
Aug 3, 2006

Don't want to end up a cartoon

In a cartoon graveyard

enraged_camel posted:

the former was once the latter, but overwhelming data has made that position untenable outside of far right circles

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

On the Media has a very good segment with the AP editor and the host arguing about this change. I have to admit, the AP editor makes a compelling argument that "doubter" covers the full range of "climate science is a hoax" to "we can't do anything about it/it's not that bad". Their long form, that I think I quoted above, is better, but too long.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

pillsburysoldier posted:

There he goes again, talking about climate change as though it's a political discussion.

Climate change denial, on the other hand...

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Here's something I don't get: why are individuals so invested in denying climate change? I get it coming from corporations and from there, politicians, but why are random members of the public such strong deniers? Is it as simple as getting cast as a "liberal" cause despite everybody doing effectively jack-poo poo about it?

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Motto posted:

Here's something I don't get: why are individuals so invested in denying climate change? I get it coming from corporations and from there, politicians, but why are random members of the public such strong deniers? Is it as simple as getting cast as a "liberal" cause despite everybody doing effectively jack-poo poo about it?

I dunno how much you read the Freep thread, but people are incredibly invested into their political affiliation, to the point to where some of them literally wish for the pope to get assassinated for pushing to help the poor, in spite of being, well, the pope.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't want to make any changes to my lifestyle therefore it must not be necessary and anyone who says different is lying.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I guess it's like that one "but what if we make a better world for nothing?" cartoon. There's this widespread suspicion that evil scientists are trying to con the world--into developing better sources of energy and a more hospitable habitat for us and our children. :confused:

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Motto posted:

I guess it's like that one "but what if we make a better world for nothing?" cartoon. There's this widespread suspicion that evil scientists are trying to con the world--into developing better sources of energy and a more hospitable habitat for us and our children. :confused:

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/2013-4-july-august/green-life/pollution-porn-now-thing

There's a big culture of contrarianism in the south and among republicans

Asshole Businessman
Aug 8, 2007
I heart Donald Trump.
Any goons seen Cowspiracy? Notwithstanding the terrible title the documentary seemed to make a decent case that there should be a primary focus on reducing rearing of livestock to combat climate change. There was a statistic thrown around that it was 51% the cause, or something like that. Is that all bullshit or should there be a serious effort to promote veganism?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I'd heard about coal rolling, but not the bit where they stick their faces in it.:psyduck: That's some pretty extreme nose cutting. Either that or fatalists gearing up early for a Mad Max world.

Motto fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Sep 28, 2015

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Motto posted:

You're forgetting the mindset they're in. What you call "make a better world for nothing" they call "limit growth, development and economic freedom".

They see high carbon fuels as the lifeblood of modern everything and to say we should cut back is to either say the browns don't get it or that no one does.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Motto posted:

I'd heard about coal rolling, but not the bit where they stick their faces in it.:psyduck: That's some pretty extreme nose cutting.

Yeah but if you have decided for convenience or ideological my-team reasons that environmentalism is 100% lies then inhaling sulfur dioxides, nitrogen oxides, etc is perfectly fine.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 28, 2015

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

rear end in a top hat Businessman posted:

Any goons seen Cowspiracy? Notwithstanding the terrible title the documentary seemed to make a decent case that there should be a primary focus on reducing rearing of livestock to combat climate change. There was a statistic thrown around that it was 51% the cause, or something like that. Is that all bullshit or should there be a serious effort to promote veganism?

51% seems unrealistically high, but cows are actually a major problem. Producing beef results in emissions of between 20 and 60kg CO2 per kg beef (ironically, organic/extensive farming of cows is the upper end while industrial feedlots are the lower end), while pork and chicken are below 10kg CO2 per kg meat.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah but if you have decided for convenience or ideological my-team reasons that environmentalism is 100% lies then inhaling sulfur dioxides, nitrogen oxides, etc is perfectly fine.

lung cancer: just a ~theory~ :smug:

crabcakes66
May 24, 2012

by exmarx
http://www.pnas.org/content/107/27/12107.full

http://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/10/9/094025/meta

TLDR:

97-98% of climate scientists conclude that anthropogenic climate change is occurring.

92-93% of all biophysical scientists conclude that anthropogenic climate change is occurring.

Consensus? What consensus.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

pillsburysoldier posted:

http://www.sierraclub.org/sierra/2013-4-july-august/green-life/pollution-porn-now-thing

There's a big culture of contrarianism in the south and among republicans

Its illegal also, but the EPA has been held back by legislation that prevents them from enforcing regulations at the State level.

Motto posted:

I'd heard about coal rolling, but not the bit where they stick their faces in it.:psyduck: That's some pretty extreme nose cutting. Either that or fatalists gearing up early for a Mad Max world.

As someone who builds diesels for a hobby: Half these idiots are morons who destroy their own engines and then pour $3k-$4k rebuilding said engine because of their mind numbing idiocy.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Motto posted:

I think that for some its a type of existential threat. Global warming is a sign that the perpetual growth of energy consumption cannot continue unchecked. It's a sign that there are global consequences for the expansion of the human race, and that manifest destiny does not exist. Humans have a historically appropriate philosophy of growing as quickly as possible and it's a major project to get traditionally minded individuals to understand sustainability. Even worse, we need collective action which is also running counter to the tribal thinking that is the foundation of conservationism.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Sep 28, 2015

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Pretty much. Admitting climate change is real is admitting that God doesn't determine climate, that the pie is mostly a fixed size, infinite growth (the underlying principle of capitalism) isn't real, that there are other people who matter besides you and your family, and that there are consequences to your actions. Is it really a surprise America rejects climate change? Most Americans just really are that selfish, hateful, and shortsighted, it's not that they're excessively stupid per se.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Sep 28, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Radbot posted:

Pretty much. Admitting climate change is real is admitting that God doesn't determine climate, that the pie is mostly a fixed size, infinite growth (the underlying principle of capitalism) isn't real, that there are other people who matter besides you and your family, and that there are consequences to your actions. Is it really a surprise America rejects climate change? Most Americans just really are that selfish, hateful, and shortsighted, it's not that they're excessively stupid per se.

Which is why its hilarious and sad to see Inhoffe huff and puff and write really bad books about God and Climate Change.

• Locked thread