Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Vinlaen posted:

Wow... just wow. The Verge is once again mis-reporting information regarding Ad Blockers. When I fix read the article I was pretty angry at Crystal until I read their actual website.

They are NOT forcing anybody to enable these "Acceptable Ads".

Well it doesn't actually block ads, so there's that. Out of 30 sample european pages, crystal successfully blocked the ads on 3. Blockr is currently 25 for 25.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
I'm telling you guys, BlockBear is really good and doesn't seem to gently caress up a ton of random sites the way Purify does.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Riven posted:

Holy poo poo. And request the desktop site. Mind blown.

E: I'm just gonna spend the next 20 minutes long and force pressing every button I can find.

I can't figure out how you go back to a mobile site. I reloaded. I killed the tab. I killed the app in the app switcher.

Whoops!

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Well it doesn't actually block ads, so there's that. Out of 30 sample european pages, crystal successfully blocked the ads on 3. Blockr is currently 25 for 25.

I've noticed a lot of ads even with crystal. Thank goodness I didn't pay anything for it. Is blockr the only remaining one that hasn't sold out yet and is worth it?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

xilni posted:

Is blockr the only remaining one that hasn't sold out yet and is worth it?

No idea. I'll wait on purchasing more until the market has stabilized somewhat and people have a better idea of what they're buying.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

Lol at everyone bashing Nilay Patel and using his fashion choices as ammunition. Like, I'm not defending the guy or anything but what the gently caress? Go post in the WAYWT thread in YLLS if you want to talk about spiked leather bracelets.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Spiked leather bracelets isn't as much a choice as a declaration of bankruptcy.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

ShoogaSlim posted:

Lol at everyone bashing Nilay Patel and using his fashion choices as ammunition. Like, I'm not defending the guy or anything but what the gently caress? Go post in the WAYWT thread in YLLS if you want to talk about spiked leather bracelets.

sorry we are mocking the well paid internet writer man for complaining that the nice apple watch band looks ridiculous when he wears a lovely spiked leather bracelet

only serious talk in this thread

speaking of which, thread, is there a reddit app that isn't complete hot loving garbage? I only need it for like two subreddits but as far as I can tell they are all really bad

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Legs Benedict posted:

sorry we are mocking the well paid internet writer man for complaining that the nice apple watch band looks ridiculous when he wears a lovely spiked leather bracelet

speaking of which, thread, is there a reddit app that isn't complete hot loving garbage? I only need it for like two subreddits but as far as I can tell they are all really bad

Amrc. Barebones UI, but incredibly good UX.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Legs Benedict posted:

I like Narwhal and amrc

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

ShoogaSlim posted:

To be fair, his fashion choices are just added fuel in to the fire that is Nilay Patel.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

ShoogaSlim posted:

Lol relax dude

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

African AIDS cum posted:

Lol relax dude

He just doesn't want to fit in with us loving suits.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Ilustforponydeath posted:

Most of the sites I regular (SA, Twitter, FB) have apps so I can't speak for too many sites, but I can't recall seeing any ads in Safari since installing Crystal. Did a comparison with a few articles on The Guardian doing the long-press reload > show without content blocker thing and it definitely seems to be hiding mid-article adverts on that site at least.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Legs Benedict posted:

Alien Blue with the Classic UI is good. Whatever new UI they introduced was terrible, switch that off immediately.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Legs Benedict posted:

I know it's not particularly useful information right now but there are two Reddit apps currently in development (called Apollo and Comet, respectively) that both look pretty good. Alien Blue is also about to undergo a redesign apparently (the first since it got acquired by Reddit)

Narwhal is my go to for now

serebralassazin
Feb 20, 2004
I wish I had something clever to say.
Alien blue with classic UI is good. AMRC is ugly but works well.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The better option is to not read reddit.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

You can either follow me to our bedroom or bend over that control throne because I haven't been this turned on in FOREVER!

The Devil Tesla posted:

The better option is to not read reddit.

this is true, but it is the most convenient source for destiny news and poo poo so

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I have another piece of advice.

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

The Devil Tesla posted:

I have another piece of advice.

not listening :smuggo:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

tuyop posted:

I recommend 1Blocker. Other people are recommending other apps for bad reasons.

Edit: My reasons are: it's free unless you want detailed customization, it can be customized if you want to pay and it's the fastest of the popular blockers.

Other reasons see, to break down to: its made buy a guy who made something else I like and I like his politics, which is dumb.
Here's the most comprehensive review of iOS adblockers that I've found. It's 4 parts evaluating various properties (speed, bandwidth savings, etc.) and 1Blocker is generally the best all around. I'm still using Purify for now, but 1Blocker looks good.

https://brooksreview.net/2015/09/content-blocker-test/
https://brooksreview.net/2015/09/mac-like-control/
https://brooksreview.net/2015/09/data-savings/
https://brooksreview.net/2015/09/ye-olde-content-blocking/

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Legs Benedict posted:

nice apple watch band

Legs Benedict posted:

lovely spiked leather bracelet

Different people have different opinions about how things look? Quick! To the iOS Apps Megathread!!

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
@reckless is that you?

Legs Benedict
Jul 14, 2002

ShoogaSlim posted:

Different people have different opinions about how things look? Quick! To the iOS Apps Megathread!!

sup nilay how's it going

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Anyone who thinks a spiky wristband looks good is either in high school or doesn't have life aspirations above fry cook. Not gonna defend the Milanese Loop, since I'm not really a fan either (or, rather, I think it is nice, but isn't something I would personally wear), but it's hard to take someone seriously whose criticism is "it looks ridiculous" while wearing a spiky wristband. His tendency to flame out any time someone criticizes him (see: the wristband comments and the adblocker article) and his smugness about it all makes him come off like a big baby.

Like, he is a guy who wants so badly for everyone to think he's some rebel of the tech writer industry (see: @reckless) while being the head of a site whose entire model is to post as many trackers and ads as is humanly possible.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

Endless Mike posted:

Anyone who thinks a spiky wristband looks good is either in high school or doesn't have life aspirations above fry cook.

I am in no way defending Nilay Patel, just pointing out how ridiculous these kinds of statements are.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

ShoogaSlim posted:

I am in no way defending Nilay Patel, just pointing out how ridiculous these kinds of statements are.

You are defending him

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Reminder that the verge's parent company Vox got 200 million from Comcast. Not a suit spiked bracelet gently caress the man and so on.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

African AIDS cum posted:

You are defending him

You are mistaking criticism of a circle jerk around an off-topic subject for defense of some guy's bracelet. Relax, buddy.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

App chat: I just got myself a new job and I'm now managing a ton of projects and I'm looking for a better way to keep track of what the gently caress I did on a day to day basis. In my mind, I'm basically looking for a glorified to-do list where I can type out what I do for the day as it comes up (received plans, reviewed notes, approved invoices, etc) with the option to tag/categorize each entry so at the end of the day or week or whenever I can see both what went down during a particular day or view all the items for a specific project. Right now I'm just using tasks/reminders but poo poo's just going to get really cluttered really quick.

Or if someone that handles multiple projects at the same times cares to chime in on how they keep track of everything, that'd be great.

BitesizedNike
Mar 29, 2008

.flac

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

App chat: I just got myself a new job and I'm now managing a ton of projects and I'm looking for a better way to keep track of what the gently caress I did on a day to day basis. In my mind, I'm basically looking for a glorified to-do list where I can type out what I do for the day as it comes up (received plans, reviewed notes, approved invoices, etc) with the option to tag/categorize each entry so at the end of the day or week or whenever I can see both what went down during a particular day or view all the items for a specific project. Right now I'm just using tasks/reminders but poo poo's just going to get really cluttered really quick.

Or if someone that handles multiple projects at the same times cares to chime in on how they keep track of everything, that'd be great.

Todoist and Omnifocus can both do this. The latter has far more granularity and complexity, while the former is a lot easier and quicker to use (not to mention considerably cheaper — though I would assume your work could be able to pay for it, depending on how expenses work).

e: One of my coworkers I think uses Swipes for the same purpose. Add that to the list to consider, as well I guess.

BitesizedNike fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 28, 2015

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Slowhanded posted:

Todoist and Omnifocus can both do this. The latter has far more granularity and complexity, while the former is a lot easier and quicker to use (not to mention considerably cheaper — though I would assume your work could be able to pay for it, depending on how expenses work).

e: One of my coworkers I think uses Swipes for the same purpose. Add that to the list to consider, as well I guess.

I'm going to second Omnifocus, especially if you use the iPad and/or Mac. Definitely get work to pay for it, as poo poo is expensive (but worth it just for Contexts alone in my opinion).

The thing about task management apps like Omnifocus is that you have to actually learn how to use them to get the advantages out of them. If you don't want to, then something like Todoist or Wunderlist will probably serve your needs.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Sep 28, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
When can I come back to ask which content blocker is definitely the best

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

noirstronaut posted:

When can I come back to ask which content blocker is definitely the best

Are there any that give weather forecasts?

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003

flosofl posted:

Are there any that give weather forecasts?
Have you heard of a new password management app called Dashlane? It's my favorite podcast app.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

ShoogaSlim posted:

You are mistaking criticism of a circle jerk around an off-topic subject for defense of some guy's bracelet. Relax, buddy.

wrongo friendo

tofes
Mar 31, 2011

#1 Milpitas Dave and Buster's superfan since 2013
Anybody with a new 6S having trouble with Sky Guide? It seems like the compass isn't working properly, when I try to orient the phone the screen kind of gets it right but then drifts all over the place. The date and time, location setting, and the compass in the compass app seem to all be correct. This never was a problem with my 5, has anyone encountered something similar on one of the new phones?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

tofes posted:

Anybody with a new 6S having trouble with Sky Guide? It seems like the compass isn't working properly, when I try to orient the phone the screen kind of gets it right but then drifts all over the place. The date and time, location setting, and the compass in the compass app seem to all be correct. This never was a problem with my 5, has anyone encountered something similar on one of the new phones?

Looking for the moon? I have an S plus. I was using Startracker.
I loaded it 3 times and all 3 times it put the moon in completely different cardinal directions.

Not saying it's a phone thing or whatever... But, yeah, I was like, "ummmmmm...."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Feenix posted:

Looking for the moon? I have an S plus. I was using Startracker.
I loaded it 3 times and all 3 times it put the moon in completely different cardinal directions.

Not saying it's a phone thing or whatever... But, yeah, I was like, "ummmmmm...."

Maybe try if your compass is working properly. The standard Apple app I mean.