Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Everytime someone bitches about the skulls being bullet sponges, i can only think of how they are apparently too stupid to use anything but an assault rifle. Seriously, rockets and shotguns. And later, the brennan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

SpookyLizard posted:

Everytime someone bitches about the skulls being bullet sponges, i can only think of how they are apparently too stupid to use anything but an assault rifle. Seriously, rockets and shotguns. And later, the brennan.

It's a phrase dumbass, rocket sponges just doesn't roll off the tongue

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

ArtIsResistance posted:

It's a phrase dumbass, rocket sponges just doesn't roll off the tongue

What kind of poo poo rockets do you use? Even grenades wreck the skulls and they're usually too stupid to even move out of the way.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SpookyLizard posted:

Machine guns actually drain their health and shields faster than any explosive weapon or shotgun so long as you shoot them point-blank, which is why melee counters are so delightful.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Nuebot posted:

What kind of poo poo rockets do you use? Even grenades wreck the skulls and they're usually too stupid to even move out of the way.

Have you tried extreme my good man

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Dragon Ball Xenoverse is a lot of fun to play; but when I think about its components, I have mostly complaints.

Like,

- One of the big draws is being able to make a really unique character out of several races and genders. But the game won't let you make more than one until you beat the game. You have 1 slot at the beginning, and if you delete your character, the new one you make will populate the same file. So if you killed the saiyans and were level 10, your new character will be at that same spot and be level 1. Not too hard to level up, but what a hassle.

- You can't run or fly in the hub area, even offline. It's kind of big

- You have to come to a dead stop and a short pause to use block. It really kills the flow of battle, and block is the counter to a lot of moves.

- Many enemies have an ability that repels you far away and does almost no damage. It's there so that you can't pound on them constantly, but all it does is waste your time as you get knocked back and have to fly forward again.

- Every saga crams in several levels where you have to beat 7, 15, 30, etc of some small enemy. Saibamen, Frieza goons, Cell Jrs, Small Buu's. Super-rear end boring.

But if a game can have so much wrong with it and still be fun, I suppose that says something.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I like that I don't need to be a super killer in Battlefield to do well, you get points for everything especially supporting like vehicle repair and healing team members.

Children loving off to the highest point on the map and sniping all day? Not so much, that's pretty annoying to be honest, same with how vehicles are, if your team loses theirs to early you might as well quit cause you ain't getting anywhere near those point.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alteisen posted:

I like that I don't need to be a super killer in Battlefield to do well, you get points for everything especially supporting like vehicle repair and healing team members.

Children loving off to the highest point on the map and sniping all day? Not so much, that's pretty annoying to be honest, same with how vehicles are, if your team loses theirs to early you might as well quit cause you ain't getting anywhere near those point.

Hell, this is a problem with any FPS that for whatever reason decides that their twitch based shooter needs to have sniper rifles. You'll get those players who have to gently caress off to a random corner of the map and try to be the sniper from Saving Private Ryan.

It's a right pain in the rear end in Planetside 2. Imagine those guys, except there can be 20 of them. Besides doing an exact gently caress all in actually contributing to capturing/defending cause in the time they rack their bolt a medic has already revived the guy they just shot, its really loving aggravating to be completely unable to sit still for any amount of time without immediately getting shot in the head. Even in cover where you wouldn't think any enemies would be able to hit you, cause it would require someone to run completely around the entire base behind your line, and who the gently caress would waste 5 minutes doing that to maybe kill one guy every minute and has no supporting teammates to ensure someone doesn't get pissed off and pull a vehicle with radar to get some revenge, but there certainly is someone who will do that. There are hundreds of someones who will do that. Also you can replace the above with "Players in tanks" and it'd pretty much be the same thing, except they don't have to directly hit you in the head to kill you in one shot.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Alteisen posted:

In Bad Company 2, whenever we had way too many snipers on an island/Wookie Mountain, I would switch to assault and use ammo packs and smoke grenades to make their spot look like a grateful dead concert. Can't snipe when you can't see!

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Alteisen posted:

XM25 is your friend in dislodging annoy rear end snipers on top of buildings. On hills? Yeah bad luck sorry.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

The mental patients in Assassin's Creed. They're even more annoying than the beggar women. I was trying to sit down on a bench to eavesdrop on a conversation but a mental patient kept pushing me until I landed in group of guards and got killed.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Look I know that if we didn't exaggerate a bit it wouldn't be fun to read threads like this, but some dorks in this thread literally think any obstacle to progress is a thing dragging the game down.

The Skulls fight in MGSV for example because it keeps popping up loving everywhere. The game gives you several ways of beating those guys, one of which is literally hiding doing nothing and bringing a specific buddy into the fight. The game gives you so much leeway in every situation that complaining about Bad Game Design is like sitting in a restaurant complaining that the steak is poorly cooked because you have trouble eating it with a spoon.

"The thing dragging super mario bros down is the pits because you fall in them and die if you just run straight ahead. Oh I know about jumping, I just don't like to jump in my games."

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
I've been so used to going nonlethal in Metal Gear games that the Skulls caught me off guard the first few times. After I realized their stamina bar was irrelevant I started investing in more lethal weaponry. They're actually fun and tense if you have the chance to prepare for them.

My gripe so far with the game is how sensitive DHorse and Ddog are. Swap them with another Buddy and their bonds drop. I wish they'd give you 2 strikes before the bond drops. Also I hate that Ddog won't stay when I say so. I try to keep him in a safe spot while I'm sniping but he'd rather wander into my line of fire just as I pull the trigger.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Action Tortoise posted:

I've been so used to going nonlethal in Metal Gear games that the Skulls caught me off guard the first few times. After I realized their stamina bar was irrelevant I started investing in more lethal weaponry. They're actually fun and tense if you have the chance to prepare for them.

My gripe so far with the game is how sensitive DHorse and Ddog are. Swap them with another Buddy and their bonds drop. I wish they'd give you 2 strikes before the bond drops. Also I hate that Ddog won't stay when I say so. I try to keep him in a safe spot while I'm sniping but he'd rather wander into my line of fire just as I pull the trigger.

...what? I've never lost bond with them for swapping them out for Quiet.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Action Tortoise posted:

I think D-Dog is bugged, because he never listens to the stay command even with max bond or repeatedly commanding him. Its not just problematic for sniping/shooting when he inadvertently wanders into your sights. I've accidentally hit D-Dog several times because he inches over to my leg while I'm trying to wake up dosed guards. Instant 2 levels of bond lost, which can't be recovered with pettes or side ops.

I also hate how you lose Quiet when progressing through the end-game missions, with no way of getting her back. It makes all the GMP I spent on her absolutely worthless, which is a pretty big dick move.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

Vic posted:

Look I know that if we didn't exaggerate a bit it wouldn't be fun to read threads like this, but some dorks in this thread literally think any obstacle to progress is a thing dragging the game down.

The Skulls fight in MGSV for example because it keeps popping up loving everywhere. The game gives you several ways of beating those guys, one of which is literally hiding doing nothing and bringing a specific buddy into the fight. The game gives you so much leeway in every situation that complaining about Bad Game Design is like sitting in a restaurant complaining that the steak is poorly cooked because you have trouble eating it with a spoon.

"The thing dragging super mario bros down is the pits because you fall in them and die if you just run straight ahead. Oh I know about jumping, I just don't like to jump in my games."

:qq: Why won't people just like the things I like :qq:

Regardless of the ability to kill the Skulls, a lot of people don't find them fun or interesting to fight. Thus they are in this thread.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

ChaosArgate posted:

...what? I've never lost bond with them for swapping them out for Quiet.

I've swapped them out and then at the end of a mission got a drop in their bond. :shrug:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think D-Dog is bugged, because he never listens to the stay command even with max bond or repeatedly commanding him. Its not just problematic for sniping/shooting when he inadvertently wanders into your sights. I've accidentally hit D-Dog several times because he inches over to my leg while I'm trying to wake up dosed guards. Instant 2 levels of bond lost, which can't be recovered with pettes or side ops.

Ddog is great for mine clearing but there's been so many tense moments of me diffusing a mine and he just walks on top of it and cancels out the button prompt

VV Dunno for sure. But I switched Ddog out for someone else and I saw the bind drop at the end of the mission

Action Tortoise has a new favorite as of 15:47 on Sep 27, 2015

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Action Tortoise posted:

I've swapped them out and then at the end of a mission got a drop in their bond. :shrug:

Wait, if you swap out your buddy during a mission you get a bond "hit"? That's dumb...

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah I had D Dog with me on mission 29 but he can't really do anything there so I switched him out for D Walker. When I finished the bond had gone down by like two.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Alhazred posted:

The mental patients in Assassin's Creed. They're even more annoying than the beggar women. I was trying to sit down on a bench to eavesdrop on a conversation but a mental patient kept pushing me until I landed in group of guards and got killed.

This sounds funny!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

kazil posted:

:qq: Why won't people just like the things I like :qq:

This is the stupidest rebuttal but yes putting enemies that require you to dump a bunch of lethal damage into them in a game about stealth that encourages you heavily to utilize non-lethal weaponry is in fact bad design. Sort of the direct opposite of putting stealth sections in shooters, really.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Alhazred posted:

I swear those guys specifically home in on you. I tried to get that blade in the crowd achievement years ago and those guys ruined my attempts every time.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I've never accidentally sniped him, but good God that dog just loves sniffing the C-4 I plant. Whenever I try to blow up the AA radar or comms dishes in a base with C-4 D-Dog will just stand next to the explosive no matter how far I get away from it.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX

Lady Naga posted:

This is the stupidest rebuttal but yes putting enemies that require you to dump a bunch of lethal damage into them in a game about stealth that encourages you heavily to utilize non-lethal weaponry is in fact bad design. Sort of the direct opposite of putting stealth sections in shooters, really.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It does not require you to use lethal weapons and in fact rewards you for non-lethal approach. It's weird how many people have problems figuring this poo poo out on their own, especially because I'm bad at videogames generally.

Dorks.

The real issue with the game is that you can't whistle for your jeep to roll to your location. I drop into the area with a jeep, hit the first guard post along the way, crash the jeep into some rocks, clear the guardpost and now my jeep is like 80 meters away from me. I'm sure as hell not going back to do this:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Lady Naga posted:

Every single MGS game has ridiculous forced boss fights and set pieces :shrug: The Skulls definitely aren't as good as the rest of the series' bosses and are far less interesting/unique characters, but at the end of the day they're not super out of place in the series where almost every game ends with you firing rockets at giant nuclear robots.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The Skulls definitely aren't as good as the rest of the series' bosses and are far less interesting/unique characters

heyyyy you figured it out well done!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

ArtIsResistance posted:

heyyyy you figured it out well done!
:eyepop:

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Action Tortoise posted:

I swear those guys specifically home in on you. I tried to get that blade in the crowd achievement years ago and those guys ruined my attempts every time.

Its not really dragging the game down, but I think its weird that there's no trophies for the ps3 version.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Alhazred posted:

Its not really dragging the game down, but I think its weird that there's no trophies for the ps3 version.

The PS3 launched without trophies and it was only patched in years later when they saw how successful Gamerscore was on the Xbox 360 and copied it. The original Assassin's Creed came out before there were trophies.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

That was a fun time to be a ps3 player you'd go into the ps3/360 thread and try to ask how to beat a mission and it would be absolutely flooded with threadshitting in the form of "I ate a hotdog from every vendor in liberty city but I didn't get the hot dog eater achievement? Help i'm not getting my back patted for arbitrary bullshit!"

Achievements are so goddamn loving stupid. I hate the dumb fucks that whined at sony until playstation added them in.

Krinkle has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Sep 27, 2015

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Eh, achievements are only as dumb as the developers make them. If it's something meaningless like "you beat level 1!" or something banal that you have to grind for like "you killed 60,000 zombies!" then yeah they're stupid and bad. But if the achievements are actually for interesting challenges like killing a boss without taking damage, or clearing a level really quickly, then I think they add a bit of replay value and give the word a little bit of actual meaning. Beating Shovel Knight in 90 minutes or without falling into a hole is an achievement, but collecting 25,000 total gold in the same is not.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RyokoTK posted:

Eh, achievements are only as dumb as the developers make them.

Some of the trophies in the Uncharted games is super loving dumb and I love them for it. In the second game you get a trophy for playing Marco Polo in a pool, in the third game you get a trophy for playing Marco Solo (there's also a medal for petting every yak in a village).

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Krinkle posted:

getting my back patted for arbitrary bullshit

Sir, this is a video game thread.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Alhazred posted:

Some of the trophies in the Uncharted games is super loving dumb and I love them for it. In the second game you get a trophy for playing Marco Polo in a pool, in the third game you get a trophy for playing Marco Solo (there's also a medal for petting every yak in a village).

Yeah, stuff like that's cute and can occasionally nudge you into exploring or doing something you otherwise wouldn't have done...which unfortunately also results in stuff like "max out all multiplayer characters and use all abilities" which isn't endearing. It's just a huge grind.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Vic posted:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. It does not require you to use lethal weapons and in fact rewards you for non-lethal approach. It's weird how many people have problems figuring this poo poo out on their own, especially because I'm bad at videogames generally.

Sometimes I think people say poo poo like this because it's easier to just give up than to provide specific evidence
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARYoBFX2bQM

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Every single MGS game has ridiculous forced boss fights and set pieces :shrug: The Skulls definitely aren't as good as the rest of the series' bosses and are far less interesting/unique characters, but at the end of the day they're not super out of place in the series where almost every game ends with you firing rockets at giant nuclear robots.

In Metal Gear Solid 3, all bosses were easily beatable with the basic silenced pistol. Of course, that wasn't the only way to beat them. You could poison one with rotten food, sneak and hold up another a few times, etc. Metal Gear Solid 4 didn't have the most intricate boss battles but there was still some strategy to finding Laughing Octopus or figuring out Raven's pattern. Literally all you do to the skulls is shoot them until they dead. Shouldn't series improve over time, not regress?

Lady Naga has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Sep 27, 2015

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

RyokoTK posted:

Eh, achievements are only as dumb as the developers make them. If it's something meaningless like "you beat level 1!" or something banal that you have to grind for like "you killed 60,000 zombies!" then yeah they're stupid and bad. But if the achievements are actually for interesting challenges like killing a boss without taking damage, or clearing a level really quickly, then I think they add a bit of replay value and give the word a little bit of actual meaning. Beating Shovel Knight in 90 minutes or without falling into a hole is an achievement, but collecting 25,000 total gold in the same is not.

Sometimes developers use achievements to track how far people are getting into the game, how long it takes them, and things of that nature, which may explain some of the really basic/meaningless ones.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Lady Naga posted:

Literally all you do to the skulls is shoot them until they dead.

Decoys + c4

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

FAROOQ posted:

Decoys + c4

Sounds like good, fun, interesting gameplay!

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe
drop a tank on them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chumpy
Dec 28, 2008

Nap Ghost

Lady Naga posted:

Sounds like good, fun, interesting gameplay!

This, but unironically.

For content, and also related to MGSV, I'm finding myself getting a bit annoyed at the mysterious checkpoint system. Mysterious because I can't always tell what dictates where and when a checkpoint is hit, and it can happen at some really inopportune times. I just did the first mission that requires you to blow up a few tanks en route to a nearby fortress, and I foolishly mistimed my C4 activation to where I only blew up one of the two tanks. So I had to run up on horseback to hit them with my rocket launcher, aaaand... gently caress me I forgot to bring one.

Cue me signalling for a rocket launcher drop while being targeted by the tank and getting blown to paste before I can finish the order. No big deal, I'll be just order the rockets before I lay the C4, since I'm pretty sure the checkpoint will be right after getting the intel that triggered the tank spawn.

Nope! Checkpoint starts me out in mid combat with the tank that killed me. I died trying to get away after the tank blasted me off the horse and getting chewed up by a machine gun shortly thereafter. I had to restart the mission.

Not a big deal, but :argh:.