Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
read what trump does then recall that rich people, rich society, has never accepted trump and have always looked down upon him openly

trump just wants to be rich and have rich friends but they have made fun of him for more than 40 years

he doesn't want to help the poor but he does want to gently caress anyone with money

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
You know, wonks kept insisting that Trump would be crushed as candidates leave and votes consolidate around an establishment pick, but what if this keeps happening? What if candidates only leave long after Count Trump has sucked their votes down to 0%? Whats the establishment plan then?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Neurolimal posted:

Whats the establishment plan then?

Draft Romney.

Strom Thermos
Sep 18, 2004

r.y.f.s.o. posted:

Cognitive dissonance.

Cognitive dissonance is when you are aware of holding two conflicting opinions, something Carson does not have.

E: Carson is not aware of his conflicting opinions.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

spunkshui posted:

Carson doesn't believe in evolution.

I know a bunch of people agree with him but not enough for presidency.

Gaze into the abyss and weep:

http://www.gallup.com/poll/21814/evolution-creationism-intelligent-design.aspx

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
To be honest raising the cap gains tax is something we desperately need to do and that the head of the GOP field is calling for just that without even using coded language is a real breath of fresh air.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
agreed one of many reasons i would vote trump

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Philthy posted:

So do Republicans wake up every morning, stretch, sit down enjoy a nice cup of coffee, look out over their beautiful back yard and watch the squirrels carry nuts away, then come inside, thinking how great this coffee is and how Earth is such a beautiful place to live, pop on the TV, and see people screaming about brown people invading our country and then get all angry and suddenly the rest of the day illegal immigrants is ruining their lives?

Or do they just wake up all gently caress YOU EARTH?

quote:

An extraordinarily successful but notoriously ruthless banker was asked once what accounted for the secret to his success.

"Well," he replied, "Every morning I wake up, turn in bed to my wife, and ask if she's up for a romp. And every time she inevitably says, 'no.' So every day I leave the house with the singular thought - if I can't gently caress my wife, I'm going to gently caress the rest of the world."

More or less.

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Cronodoculous posted:

The whole "higher taxes for hedge fund managers" thing is so hilariously specific. Is his full tax plan going to include rate hikes for People That Kick Dogs, That Guy That Cut You Off In Traffic The Other Day, and The Actual Boogeyman too?

Because literally every wealthy person in America gives their money to hedge fund managers who multiply the money on Wall Street then give themselves a cut as income they don't have to pay taxes on. They make millions, some billions of dollars a year by playing with the combined capital of the 1%rs like Monopoly money and giving a cut back to themselves under private equity loopholes. There is so much money involved in these exchanges every day that do not foster economic development like a tax paying job creating business would. They have so much money that they can influence politics waaaaay too much. They are also some of Hillary's biggest supporters. Trump is going to sieze these fuckers assets like the government does to everyone else's money under the tax code to create actual revenue for the government. Every other Republican is dogmatically against increasing revenue with the Norquist pledge bullshit through, which would make Social Security and Medicare eventually disappear as the rich pig Baby Boomer generation cashes in.

Millennials probably will be the first American generation that will be working retail until we drop dead in the middle of aisle 9 as "retirement" ceases to exist as an idea unless the Republican Congress passes comprehensive tax reform soon and we've seen Obama demonstrate how good the Democrats are at managing that. Donald Trump will be the Millennial's Candidate. He's the only one who both cares enough and can get it done.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Sep 27, 2015

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I gotta say, no matter what other policies Trump supports, if he can raise taxes significantly on Wall Street, all is forgiven.

Of course he won't be able to do that and will most likely be able to enact his more terrible policies because republican's agree with those, so it's just an idle thought. But still :allears:

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

Third World Reggin posted:

read what trump does then recall that rich people, rich society, has never accepted trump and have always looked down upon him openly

trump just wants to be rich and have rich friends but they have made fun of him for more than 40 years

he doesn't want to help the poor but he does want to gently caress anyone with money

Trump seems like the type of rich person who made his money in an ostensibly "real" market, i.e. real estate, and as such disdains those who just manipulate numbers and push papers to generate wealth out of capital while adding zero actual value to the economy (and probably detracting from it).

Donald Trump is an actual real-life "job creator" in that his industry employees people and builds real things, and probably resents GOP pols blanket-labeling every wealthy person as such.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

lol

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Markorjoshua posted:

Cognitive dissonance is when you are aware of holding two conflicting opinions, something Carson does not have.

E: Carson is not aware of his conflicting opinions.

There's nothing conflicting about being a neurosurgeon and not believing in evolution. It's why MDs tend to have a much poorer understanding of science than actual biologists.

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot

stoutfish
Oct 8, 2012

by zen death robot
how many genocides will you compromise for to raise taxes on the rich

two or three

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Neurolimal posted:

You know, wonks kept insisting that Trump would be crushed as candidates leave and votes consolidate around an establishment pick, but what if this keeps happening? What if candidates only leave long after Count Trump has sucked their votes down to 0%? Whats the establishment plan then?
I think that candidates will mostly leave when they no longer have money, though?

Either way, it's not establishment candidates not dropping out where the fun is, it's what Carson decides to do. Here, have another iteration of The Ugly Plot (2015/5/10 is the first poll after Carson and Fiorina entered the race, 2015/6/18 after Trump, and then after the two debates):

Notice that the 'religious' faction started to rise actually halfway through last year - to some extent, Carson has been taking over Huckabee's people, no? So, the Republicans are right now basically a coalition of four factions. The Paulites are irrelevant, but I don't think the religious people are.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
Tommorows tax plan will determine for me whether Trump is the best republican candidate, or merely the least worst. I think that he uses the title of "hedge fund manager" as a catch all for stock brokers, investment bankers, whatever Mitt Romney did at Bain
capital, and CEOs who are just glorified middle managers. Basically anyone that takes in money and dosent create a real good or service. Either way I am very excited.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

stoutfish posted:

how many genocides will you compromise for to raise taxes on the rich

two or three

one: white genocide

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Third World Reggin posted:

This is Nixon to a T

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

The Nastier Nate posted:

Tommorows tax plan will determine for me whether Trump is the best republican candidate, or merely the least worst. I think that he uses the title of "hedge fund manager" as a catch all for stock brokers, investment bankers, whatever Mitt Romney did at Bain
capital, and CEOs who are just glorified middle managers. Basically anyone that takes in money and dosent create a real good or service. Either way I am very excited.

I to am excited for New York Mussolini to throw us a single populist bone so he can justify genocide.

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

what do you people think donald trump actually does? like, is your concept of real estate built entirely around workers continually demolishing and building things?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
The best part is that it's the one populist bone that he'd have absolutely no chance of enacting. Whereas war/deportation would be well within his purview, especially with a Republican congress.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Powercrazy posted:

I gotta say, no matter what other policies Trump supports, if he can raise taxes significantly on Wall Street, all is forgiven.

Of course he won't be able to do that and will most likely be able to enact his more terrible policies because republican's agree with those, so it's just an idle thought. But still :allears:

You are exactly the same kind of leftist that was excited about Hitlers rise to power because "He was taking on the rich elite" and "Tearing down the people screwing over the Volk"

*sweeps genocide under the rug*

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Based on those polls, I have a feeling you will soon see the GOP Establishment/Big Money beginning to line up behind Rubio.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Cronodoculous posted:

The whole "higher taxes for hedge fund managers" thing is so hilariously specific. Is his full tax plan going to include rate hikes for People That Kick Dogs, That Guy That Cut You Off In Traffic The Other Day, and The Actual Boogeyman too?

Either he wants to get rid of the carried-interest loophole or get rid of the special capital gains tax rate entirely. Prohably the former, since that's what hedge fund managers use to reclassify their ordinary income as capital gains.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

FlamingLiberal posted:

Based on those polls, I have a feeling you will soon see the GOP Establishment/Big Money beginning to line up behind Rubio.

When that happens they will be lobbing Trump a nice easy soft ball for him to say "of course these rich motherfuckers are backing someone else, they know when I'm president the gravy train is over"

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

RBC posted:

what do you people think donald trump actually does? like, is your concept of real estate built entirely around workers continually demolishing and building things?

he makes deals, duh

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin

my bony fealty posted:

he makes deals, duh
And tomorrow he unveils his amazing new tax plan for America, one which he says "will make us happy".

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

my bony fealty posted:

he makes deals, duh

Deals so yooge he wrote the book on deals!

Also featuring one of the most Trump quotes ever

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Sep 27, 2015

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

personally im looking forward to the real life monopoly man creating more jobs with his anti-establishment tax plan

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

FlamingLiberal posted:

Definitely, the big question now is whether Rubio folds like weak, low-energy Jeb! has, or if he has half a spine in there somewhere.

Lotka Volterra posted:

The best part is that it's the one populist bone that he'd have absolutely no chance of enacting. Whereas war/deportation would be well within his purview, especially with a Republican congress.
When the Republicans in the House/Senate shot down Obama's new AUMF they were basically saying "the 2001 AUMF is good for whatever the gently caress the President feels like doing in the Middle East, have fun", and that is terrifying to think about. President Trump/Rubio/Jeb!/Cruz/Fiorina with carte blanche in the Middle East.:suicide:

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 201 days!

Smoothrich
Nov 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

my bony fealty posted:

he makes deals, duh

NYC and Jersey real estate development is a clusterfuck of egos, unions, politicians, regulations, literally the mafia, wasted tax dollars, squandered jobs, half finished projects that never get completed while serving as piggybanks for a revolving door of contracts, and an incredible amount of corruption. NJ Senator Robert Menendez has an ongoing and ever widening corruption investigation looking into the biggest mall in America that hasn't opened after being built a decade ago. It will probably ruin him like most NJ Democrats that end up in jail for the same bribery kickbacks and nepotism poo poo.

Trump is famous for actually completing any construction jobs at all, on time and under budget, instead of turning them into decades long debacles of profiteering and stalled negations.

Smoothrich fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Sep 27, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Smoothrich posted:

NYC and Jersey real estate development is a clusterfuck of egos, unions, politicians regulations, literally the mafia, wasted tax dollars, squandered jobs, half finished projects that never completely but serve as piggybanks for a revolving door of contracts, and an incredible amount of corruption. NJ Senator Robert Menendez has an ongoing and ever widening corruption investigation looking into the biggest mall in America that hasn't opened after being built a decade ago. It will probably ruin him like most NJ Democrats that end up in jail for the same bribery kickbacks and nepotism poo poo.

Trump is famous for actually completing any construction jobs at all, on time and under budget, instead of turning them into decades long debacles of profiteering and stalled negations.

TRUMP WILL MAKE THE TRAINS RUN ON TIME

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"
There are interesting similarities between candidate Trump's populism and Berlusconismo. Some similarity between them as men as well, although Berlusconi was a better businessman.

I did a google search after I started this post and I see there are about a thousand op-eds comparing Trump to Berlusconi. I'm glad.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Smoothrich posted:

NYC and Jersey real estate development is a clusterfuck of egos, unions, politicians, regulations, literally the mafia, wasted tax dollars, squandered jobs, half finished projects that never get completed while serving as piggybanks for a revolving door of contracts, and an incredible amount of corruption. NJ Senator Robert Menendez has an ongoing and ever widening corruption investigation looking into the biggest mall in America that hasn't opened after being built a decade ago. It will probably ruin him like most NJ Democrats that end up in jail for the same bribery kickbacks and nepotism poo poo.

You don't know poo poo about development in the tri-state area.

Also Xanadu/Dream's completed area is smaller than the King of Prussia mall's current area, and the new expansion currently under construction is gonna exceed Xanadu/Dream's planned 2.8 million square feet of leasable space.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The Shart of the Deal.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

The Nastier Nate posted:

It's probably like three guys, who he will name specifically. Joe, Tim, and Bryant. Those guys are dicks and cost him millions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

FAUXTON posted:

The Shart of the Deal.

"I'm really rich. In fiber."

• Locked thread