Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

So, would anyone recommend watching the videos at all?

She's not really doing a let's play of the game so much as she is just playing the game like anybody would, but live. She did react with appropriate awe when she was face to face with herself during the intro sequence though. I don't think she's gotten to the part of the game where you actually face off against/recruit Quiet yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

ChaosArgate posted:

It really depends. Most of my MGS3 stuff goes up untouched, but every so often, Konami realizes I'm putting up MGS3 and claims one or all parts of one of my updates. They're also super dilligent about claiming every Secret Theater video I post.

I actually just got an episode claimed a few minutes ago, looks like I tempted fate :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jsor posted:

I tuned in for a few minutes and it's was honestly pretty boring. Mostly dead air, when the commentary happened it wasn't that entertaining or inspired. There wasn't much appeal other than "actor from the game playing the game". It's possible she has some interesting things to say when her character shows up but I'd wait for someone to just post links to the highlights or make a highlights video, she is not the most engaging LPer.

Granted MGS5 is a loving massive game and pretty much anyone doing a long stream of it would run out of steam and commentary at some point, especially without a co-commentator.

Sounds about right for someone playing a mute character who never got even like, a PDA or pager or a notepad and pencil or something to communicate with people.

Shame about the chat inevitably being poo poo.

CJacobs posted:

She's not really doing a let's play of the game so much as she is just playing the game like anybody would, but live. She did react with appropriate awe when she was face to face with herself during the intro sequence though. I don't think she's gotten to the part of the game where you actually face off against/recruit Quiet yet.

Well that's fair but I was really just asking if it was entertaining and if anyone else would recommend watching it or not.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

RareAcumen posted:

Well that's fair but I was really just asking if it was entertaining and if anyone else would recommend watching it or not.

That was my answer to the question! If you're looking to chill out and watch someone just playing the game as they normally would and/or like Stefanie Joosten, go for it. It's as entertaining as any bog-standard MGS 5 gameplay is, really.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

If you're a fan of Two/Super Best Friends though, their MGS5 playthrough has been pretty fun so far.

Next video they're heading into Africa finally :madmax:

BlueDude
Aug 7, 2014
On a non-MGS5 related note, I found this Tumblr post from a couple days back:

warfpower posted:

PSA: DO NOT WRITE FANFICTION ABOUT WHAT HAPPENED

DO NOT WRITE FANFICTION ABOUT SCENARIOS OF DANIEL BEING IN THE HOSPITAL, OR KILLING HIMSELF, ETC. ETC.

This is an absolute tragedy and we should not try to create our own fictionalized scenarios of this. So, please, do not write fanfiction about what happened.

On one hand, I'm glad that most people realize that this sort of thing isn't okay. On the other hand, the fact that this disclaimer was necessary at all implies a lot about his fans.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Here's something kind of different - Ross Scott, of Freeman's Mind fame, tries his hand at something he describes as sort of like a Let's Play, but with all the dead air edited out. What this essentially comes down to is that he took a pretty lovely game, got together with Heisanevilgenius, of Weird Video Games fame, recorded a full playthrough with commentary, then abridged the gently caress out of it to cut it down to what he considered to be interesting to see. It's a kind of interesting concept, and I'm a fan of Heisanevilgenius, so that's a plus, but overall, the reaction has been very negative. There's a poll going on on Ross's website asking whether he should continue this, and it's currently 423 votes for "no" versus 237 for "yes".

By the way, if you're not a fan of facecams, best stay away. Faces visible aplenty here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kybGu9_8acU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya5RIKJ3N8g
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F_2amP8lNJc

I dunno, I liked it, but apparently, I'm in the minority there. Oh well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The most offensive part is how Ross has styled himself like a 90s Norwegian black metal guitarist.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The thing is, Ross already has two "sorta like an LP series" Freeman's Mind (which is done, but could move onto HL2) which is just a narrative VLP which is all the better for sneakily using cheats to edit out boring bits. And Ross' Game Dungeons which, while technically being more of a review show, usually provides a super compressed informative LP of the game as well. Hell, in his BipBop 2 one he actually got a bunch of amateur voice actors together and voice acted all the cutscenes. And it somehow made it even more entertaining! I haven't watched the new show, when I saw the thumbnail I figured it was just a stream he decided to put up and skipped the video, but if it's what you say it is it's basically just filling a niche he's already filled twice in much better ways.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Sep 24, 2015

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So I guess YouTube is doing...something, regarding a paywall and requiring content creators to either sign on, or their videos will be automatically placed as "Private".

http://recode.net/2015/09/25/youtube-is-prepping-its-subscription-launch-two-services-one-price/

From what I have read, unless you're a huge name on there this isn't going to matter much. Seems like they're just going to start charging :10bux: a month (optional) for an "Ad free Service" (wondering how long the inevitable code block for ad blocker will take), and...something about music.

People are supposedly getting blast emails from YT telling them to either sign up by Oct. 22 to get in line with having their videos available for adless (YT is supposedly going to pay these people 55% of the revenue brought in from the subscriptions to the service, that watch their videos.), or face having them defaulted to private viewing only.

YouTube posted:

“What happens if I do not want to participate in new paid offerings?"

If you choose not to participate in our new paid offerings, you can change your video settings to private to keep videos hosted on YouTube. Though you can always choose whether to host any or all of your videos on YouTube, we strongly believe that any fan who’s willing to pay for a feature like an ads-free experience on YouTube deserves to access the exact same content that exists on the ad-supported site.

So what they're basically saying is unless you're a big namer that they're actually willing to negotiate with, either sign up or go host your poo poo on another site if you don't like it.....bitches.

Honestly I don't see a big problem here if I'm understanding this right, and it might actually reduce the sheer overload of people that upload anything and everything (good bulk of LP's included), just trying to shill some internet money. Now if they'd only start charging $10 per comment they might actually be headed in the right direction......

Anyway, how long until YT starts charging people to watch videos period? Any wagers? You know it's coming. Going to have to hope all my favorite News Bloopers videos get ported to Dailymotion.

Also, here's the blast email that's been sent out to some video uploaders (Still haven't gotten one here! :ohdear: my name ain't big enough!)

quote:

For years, YouTube’s fans have been telling us they want more — more choice when watching their favorite content, more ways to support their favorite creators and, above all, the option to watch their favorite videos uninterrupted.

To give fans more choice we will be launching a new ads-free version of YouTube, available to fans for a monthly fee. This service will create a new source of revenue over time that supplements your advertising revenue. That’s why an overwhelming majority of our partners — representing over 95% of YouTube watchtime — have asked for and signed up for this service.

As you heard in our previous emails, we want to ensure that fans who choose to pay for an ads-free experience can watch all the same videos that are available on the ads-supported experience. That’s why we’re asking you to update your agreement to reflect the updated terms for the ads-free service.

To accept, simply log into YouTube.com as “pakafka” from a desktop or laptop and follow the prompts by October 22nd.

If you haven’t signed by that date, your videos will no longer be available for public display or monetization in the United States. That outcome would be a loss for YouTube, a loss for the thriving presence you’ve built on the platform, and above all, a loss for your fans. We remain committed to working with you, as we always have. And of course, at any time, you can accept the updated terms which will make your videos public and monetizable again. Common FAQs can be found here.

We believe these new terms will greatly strengthen our partnership for the future. We went through a similar process three years ago when we began distributing and monetizing your content on mobile devices. Today, mobile represents over half of all watchtime and mobile revenue is up 2x in just the last year. Just as with mobile, we’re confident this latest update will excite your fans and generate a previously untapped, additional source of revenue for you.

If you have questions or encounter technical difficulties, we’re here to help: reach out to us for support here.

The YouTube Team

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Assuming someone changed accounts or doesn't use theirs anymore, would all the videos on those accounts be set to private?

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

How does this affect people who don't monetise their videos? (well, other than "probably not much")

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

BMS posted:

an "Ad free Service" (wondering how long the inevitable code block for ad blocker will take),

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/s/adblock-sold-reportedly-allowing-companies-030215711.html

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

That's why you use uBlock.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001

Andrast posted:

That's why you use uBlock.

That like that uTorrent what done installed the bitcoin miner?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

BMS posted:

Also, here's the blast email that's been sent out to some video uploaders (Still haven't gotten one here! :ohdear: my name ain't big enough!)

Holy gently caress it reads like a mafia boss making an offer you can't refuse.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Paul.Power posted:

How does this affect people who don't monetise their videos? (well, other than "probably not much")

Probably not at all.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

Dabir posted:

Holy gently caress it reads like a mafia boss making an offer you can't refuse.

"It would be such a tragedy if you... "lost" your fans you've worked for all these years, don't you agree?"

Never put all your chips in one platform-holder's basket. Apple/Google/Whoever just need one major change to mess you up. Although this deal doesn't sound that bad? I don't understand the drawbacks of signing up exactly?

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
The drawback would be that if you make more money in ad revenue than what your cut of the ad-free subscriptions that watch your video turns out to be, you get less money. It's hard to imagine anyone watching enough Youtube videos to generate more than ten dollars of ad revenue as it is, let alone enough people to decrease the total in the face of so many people who are contributing more with their subscription fee than they could ever generate in ads. The question is how much Google's ad revenue will decrease, because advertisers aren't going to pay nearly as much to advertise to the people who are too cheap to pay $10 a month not to watch their ads. I expect the ad payouts are going to decrease as well, which makes this deal more or less required to continue making money unless you've got a few viral videos or a subscriber base in the top hundred or so.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

BMS posted:

This is seriously disturbing to me. I'm not a part of it and it won't affect me at all but the fact that this email is worded as a threat toward you re: your account/subscribers/videos is genuinely unnerving.

quote:

If you haven’t signed by that date, your videos will no longer be available for public display or monetization in the United States. That outcome would be a loss for YouTube, a loss for the thriving presence you’ve built on the platform, and above all, a loss for your fans. We remain committed to working with you, as we always have. And of course, at any time, you can accept the updated terms which will make your videos public and monetizable again.

Look at this poo poo. They are actually, for real threatening you. What the gently caress.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Sep 27, 2015

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
To play devil's advocate, they could pretty easily say "this is the new system, enjoy" without allowing any sort of 'input'. Amazon does it all the time. At least this gives the vague impression of a choice.

\/ it sounds like this is only going to to the most special of snowflakes (ie the big money producers)

Roar fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 27, 2015

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
So if I don't sign up for this vague thing (which I haven't gotten emailed about) I can no longer effectively use YouTube, and all of my videos will be permanently blacklisted and I'm basically over as a content creator? I'm sure that everyone wanted this paid service. I'm sure AdBlock was really killing you. I'm sure AdFly was putting that extra spoon of peanut butter on their desks.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
It's basically a ToS update. Not sure why everyone's so up in arms about it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Suspicious Dish posted:

It's basically a ToS update. Not sure why everyone's so up in arms about it.

Because it's worded like they're dangling your fuckin account over your head and being like "jump! jump for it! ha ha ha you can't reach it loser"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Roar posted:

To play devil's advocate, they could pretty easily say "this is the new system, enjoy" without allowing any sort of 'input'. Amazon does it all the time. At least this gives the vague impression of a choice.

\/ it sounds like this is only going to to the most special of snowflakes (ie the big money producers)

Yeah I'm not sure Don Corleone explaining how you're hosed with an arm around your shoulder while a couple of thugs brandish pipes in the background is preferable to the bank manager calmly denying you a loan, if you follow that metaphor.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Lunethex posted:

So if I don't sign up for this vague thing (which I haven't gotten emailed about) I can no longer effectively use YouTube, and all of my videos will be permanently blacklisted and I'm basically over as a content creator? I'm sure that everyone wanted this paid service. I'm sure AdBlock was really killing you. I'm sure AdFly was putting that extra spoon of peanut butter on their desks.

That's what I'm curious about. From the article, I'm gathering that it's ONLY people that monetize their stuff that will have it blacklisted if they don't sign up. But then again, I'm not 100% on that. Very possible that it goes for EVERYBODY. But it's not a big deal if it is for everybody. If you're some little guy, just sign up for the thing and you should be fine, I think.

As for AdBlock, here, let's all learn how Adblock people are SCUM, while watching Call of Duty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UekRvQ283eg

Also, this guy as now become a "Casual", since he doesn't do YouTube for a job now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J79VTVJfYY

PLEASE tell me that this is how people who do the YouTube thing as a hobby are referred to as......YOUTUBE CASUALS. hahahaha

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I monetize my videos and didn't get an email. They probably put people on the register automatically based on their channel's analytics and whether or not both parties stand to gain anything from it. My videos for example don't earn me enough for that service to earn Youtube any money, so they didn't put me on it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
the only difference is that some people can subscribe and you get a cut of that instead of ad revenue cut, and apparently it's more money

i don't see any reason not to accept

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

BMS posted:

Also, this guy as now become a "Casual", since he doesn't do YouTube for a job now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J79VTVJfYY
Man, this dude's room is depressing as gently caress. No furniture, mattress on the floor, what I assume is all of his clothes nicely folded in a pile on the floor. Maybe his room is supposed to show the hardships he's under from the money he's lost due to Adblock and why he's having to give up on the youtube job of being a personality.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
That's how all game developers live because everyone pirates their games :q:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I don't know what to make of those changes. So if I monetize videos, but never got the email which means I can't sign off on it, I just get outright blocked from making any video uploads non-"Private Only"? Even if I'm a small rinky dink channel?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Unfunny Poster posted:

I don't know what to make of those changes. So if I monetize videos, but never got the email which means I can't sign off on it, I just get outright blocked from making any video uploads non-"Private Only"? Even if I'm a small rinky dink channel?

I really doubt they're that mean.

Sillyman
Jul 21, 2008
I think the reason why big names are being sent a letter about this is for copyright reasons. They've given Google the right to display their video with ads on it and give them a cut of ad revenue, but they haven't given Google the right to display their video ad-free for a subscription fee and give them a cut of subscription revenue.

Google doesn't want to have a ton of videos still showing ads to people who shell out for a subscription, but can't legally assume everyone is okay with the new arrangement, and they've decided they'd rather make videos private if people who've monetized their videos don't want to agree to show them to subscribers without ads than show subscribers ads.

I think it's safe to assume if you haven't gotten an email about this that either you'll get one eventually or monetization will be turned off rather than making your videos private. Or you'll just get the prompts to agree to the new contract the next time you log in after some point anyway.

RealSovietBear
Aug 14, 2013

Bears from Space

BMS posted:

As for AdBlock, here, let's all learn how Adblock people are SCUM, while watching Call of Duty!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UekRvQ283eg

"This isn't my opinion anymore, it's factual!"

Yup, this is gonna be a promising video.

EDIT: Wow, the second video is even better. I love how he got crazy good at so many games, there are no more games left to become crazy good at.

RealSovietBear fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Sep 28, 2015

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
So there has been some talk about youtube and their subscription service.
I thought I would bring up that this kind of system already does exist.
It's called Twitch Turbo and essentially works the same way youtube wants theirs to work. For simple $9.99 a month you get the ability to watch streams ad free and it pays for invisible ads which basically means that even though you don't see the ad as a turbo user, twitch will still treat it like you have.
If you don't have have turbo you still get the ads.
Of course channel subscriptions are a different beast and aren't covered by turbo.
But it's a good model that seems to be working for them and it may be what youtube is trying to achieve.

Doseku fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 28, 2015

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

Doseku posted:

So there has been some talk about youtube and their subscription service.
I thought I would bring up that this kind of system already does exist.
It's called Twitch Turbo and essentially works the same way youtube wants theirs to work. For simple $9.99 a month you get the ability to watch streams ad free and it pays for invisible ads which basically means that even though you don't see the ad as a turbo user, twitch will still treat it like you have.
If you don't have have turbo you still get the ads.
Of course channel subscriptions are a different beast and aren't covered by turbo.
But it's a good model that seems to be working for them and it may be what youtube is trying to achieve.

Difference is, when Twitch rolled out their subscription changes in 2013 they said this:

quote:

Subscription Partners added to the Subscription program prior to May 2013 will continue to provide an ad-free experience, and this includes any new subscriptions purchased for those channels even after May 2013.

They didn't say:

quote:

If you haven’t signed by that date, your videos will no longer be available for public display or monetization in the United States.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So DSP just uploaded what is probably the fastest ragequit he has ever done, with a whopping seven parts of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5, going as far to claim it is the worst game he has ever played.

dreezy
Mar 4, 2015

yeah, rip.

TaurusOxford posted:

So DSP just uploaded what is probably the fastest ragequit he has ever done, with a whopping seven parts of Tony Hawk Pro Skater 5, going as far to claim it is the worst game he has ever played.

Judging from what I've seen of the game, huge props to him for making it to seven parts.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

But did he sing the great MGS Tune "Kojima's 12 Inch Dong"?

And of course, Kojima is aware of DSP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

dreezy posted:

Judging from what I've seen of the game, huge props to him for making it to seven parts.

Yeah, from what I've seen of it, this is the first time we could say DSP is...righ...ugh, my fingers are resisting when I try to type DSP is corre

• Locked thread