Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

maniacdevnull posted:

Why do his legs look like the wrong size for his torso?
i'm guessing it's a combination of the somewhat high angle of the shot, and pronounced barrel distortion from using a zoomed-in wide angle lens. it's not likely the photog was that close to them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

Syncopated posted:

obligatory 'please don't post the far side' post

I don't see how that's obligatory at all seeing as The Far Side is funnier than anything ever posted on this gay nerd forum

Anaconda Rifle
Mar 23, 2007

Yam Slacker

at the date posted:

I don't see how that's obligatory at all seeing as The Far Side is funnier than anything ever posted on this gay nerd forum

he asked really nicely

http://www.creators.com/a-note-from-gary-larson.html

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

at the date posted:

Gary Larson asked the internet nicely a long time ago not to post Far Side comics online, and for a while Something Awful honored his request and enforced a "don't post Far Side comics" rule.

Here's Gary Larson's letter to the internet: http://www.creators.com/a-note-from-gary-larson.html

quote:

RE: Online Use of Far Side Cartoons

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

I'm walking a fine line here.

On the one hand, I confess to finding it quite flattering that some of my fans have created web sites displaying and / or distributing my work on the Internet. And, on the other, I'm struggling to find the words that convincingly but sensitively persuade these Far Side enthusiasts to "cease and desist" before they have to read these words from some lawyer.

What impact this unauthorized use has had (and is having) in tangible terms is, naturally, of great concern to my publishers and therefore to me -- but it's not the focus of this letter. My effort here is to try and speak to the intangible impact, the emotional cost to me, personally, of seeing my work collected, digitized, and offered up in cyberspace beyond my control.

Years ago I was having lunch one day with the cartoonist Richard Guindon, and the subject came up how neither one of us ever solicited or accepted ideas from others. But, until Richard summed it up quite neatly, I never really understood my own aversions to doing this: "It's like having someone else write in your diary," he said. And how true that statement rang with me. In effect, we drew cartoons that we hoped would be entertaining or, at the very least, not boring; but regardless, they would always come from an intensely personal, and therefore original perspective.

To attempt to be "funny" is a very scary, risk-laden proposition. (Ask any stand-up comic who has ever "bombed "on stage.) But if there was ever an axiom to follow in this business, it would be this: be honest to yourself and -- most important -- respect your audience.

So, in a nutshell (probably an unfortunate choice of words for me), I only ask that this respect be returned, and the way for anyone to do that is to please, please refrain from putting The Far Side out on the Internet. These cartoons are my "children," of sorts, and like a parent, I'm concerned about where they go at night without telling me. And, seeing them at someone's web site is like getting the call at 2:00 a.m. that goes, "Uh, Dad, you're not going to like this much, but guess where I am."

I hope my explanation helps you to understand the importance this has for me, personally, and why I'm making this request.

Please send my "kids" home. I'll be eternally grateful.

Most respectfully,

Gary Larson

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!

univbee posted:

Gary Larson asked the internet nicely a long time ago not to post Far Side comics online, and for a while Something Awful honored his request and enforced a "don't post Far Side comics" rule.

Here's Gary Larson's letter to the internet: http://www.creators.com/a-note-from-gary-larson.html

oh welp

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

This makes me happy.

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

univbee posted:

i think that's the first far side cartoon i've seen in five years, my newspaper doesn't run it, and you don't randomly see them on the internet like you do with all the bad cartoons

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

suffix posted:

i think that's the first far side cartoon i've seen in five years, my newspaper doesn't run it, and you don't randomly see them on the internet like you do with all the bad cartoons

His request is super-old, like 2005 at the latest.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

suffix posted:

its kinda weird how people have actually respect that for the most part too since everyone is a sociopath on the internet

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

vOv posted:

i didn't know who that was so i searched her name and the third result was encyclopedia dramatica

i didn't know that still existed

old school something awful

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIn1_9YvGds

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

lolled irl

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I am aware of Mr. Larson's request but I thought of that comic the other day and was amused by how accurate a complete throwaway joke was

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
http://i.imgur.com/V9vajbd.gifv

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

:chome:

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

owl pellet

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

DiggityDoink posted:

its kinda weird how people have actually respect that for the most part too since everyone is a sociopath on the internet

probably has something to do with him having respect for the people sharing his comics, and not calling them filthy pirates / sicking his lawyers on them

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

something something republicans

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
people do post the cow tools one all the time though

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

Nintendo Kid posted:

people do post the cow tools one all the time though

four whole pages of the far side anthology are dedicated to cow tools and its fallout

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
That spider looks like someone made it out of a bunch of twigs

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Awesome pics. Great size. Look thick. Solid. Tight. Keep us all posted on your continued progress with any new progress pics or vid clips. Show us what you got man. Wanna see how freakin' huge, solid, thick and tight you can get. Thanks for the motivation.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

have you SEEN how those things are made?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

theflyingexecutive posted:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I just want them to start doing page-a-day Far Side desk calendars again, the '50s Advertising' one I have now is fun enough but I had the Larson ones for years.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

and they will exclaim "poo poo is crazy"

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

holy poo poo

e:

theflyingexecutive posted:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

it's fake

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRhesBaRCME

cya later treelords

• Locked thread