Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog

Eonwe posted:

but if I theoretically had played an anime catgirl mmo for thousands of hours id want to have fun doing it instead of grognardy poo poo

tackling challenging content with your friends is fun

so are no trace mgsv runs and beating all the staff ghosts in Mario kart

scared yet? you stand before a true gamer...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
i dont think i ever said games shouldnt be challenging but calling for ffxiv to be more like vanilla wow isnt that

vanilla wow & wildstar content isnt challenging its busywork and its loving terrible

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Eonwe posted:

i dont think i ever said games shouldnt be challenging but calling for ffxiv to be more like vanilla wow isnt that

vanilla wow & wildstar content isnt challenging its busywork and its loving terrible

Agreed.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
All posts turn into a wildstar post at one time.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

I dont think the person that post was copied from actually ever played cataclysm, because the last thing you could accuse it of is "handing everything to players on a silver platter" or whatever the gently caress their fever dream made them think it was.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

megalodong posted:

I dont think the person that post was copied from actually ever played cataclysm, because the last thing you could accuse it of is "handing everything to players on a silver platter" or whatever the gently caress their fever dream made them think it was.
it did though? here, engage in all the stuff you wanted to see but never could, have at it. Oh, you ran out of poo poo to do because you'd seen it all and had to make almost no effort to do it?

uhh... please play our game! *months pass* GARRISONS!!

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

ilifinicus posted:

it did though? here, engage in all the stuff you wanted to see but never could, have at it. Oh, you ran out of poo poo to do because you'd seen it all and had to make almost no effort to do it?

With Garrisons, the NPCs went on more adventures than you did.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun

ilifinicus posted:

that was Warlords of Draenor, not Cataclysm

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Whats funny is the ultra hard content is in the game, but the problem is that the difficulty curve in end game content has a pair of massive jumps that most people are just going to slam into and just give up. A4-A1S seems a little bit too big of a jump and a2s-a3s-a4s could potentially use a little bit of rebalancing.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
What I remember about cataclysm was everything being a boring slog of a grind to gear up, LFD being absolute poo poo to do, and then you get to the actual raids which were much harder than WotLK's.

PVP was pretty fun though, so I did that after realizing I wasn't having fun with PVE.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

The Chairman posted:

that was Warlords of Draenor, not Cataclysm

LFR was cata

Chyea
Aug 15, 2011
Alexander Savage actually needed to be harder.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

^^nah

hobbesmaster posted:

Whats funny is the ultra hard content is in the game, but the problem is that the difficulty curve in end game content has a pair of massive jumps that most people are just going to slam into and just give up. A4-A1S seems a little bit too big of a jump and a2s-a3s-a4s could potentially use a little bit of rebalancing.

It's mostly A2-A3-A4, A1-A2 was a nice curve honestly

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ilifinicus posted:

LFR was cata

LFR was 4.3, the extreme tail end of cataclysm; prior to that, nothing was really handed out "on a silver platter" or whatever

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
A1S is a brick wall for most right now, but don't forget that it will still be there waiting for you when i240 gear from uncapped tomes is commonplace

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

4-man dungeons were actually really hard in Cata, which was a stupid thing to do because those are supposed to be the casual content.

Sentient Data posted:

A1S is a brick wall for most right now, but don't forget that it will still be there waiting for you when i240 gear from uncapped tomes is commonplace

This guy gets it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Neverreap and fractal weren't easy at ilvl150. Too bad a ton of people are pushing 200 right now.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
You could do FC and NR naked and it wouldn't hold a candle to cata launch heroics

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Doublestep posted:

You could do FC and NR naked and it wouldn't hold a candle to cata launch heroics

Here's a gaggle of seven different mob types - they all have to be crowd controlled or your healer will run out of mana.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

LFR was cata

It was, but it came in on the very end patch, after the population had cratered from dungeons that were way too hard for the average player in LFD, too hard trollroics, and raids that were too hard to pug like the wrath raids. Like I don't care what your personal opinion is of all that (I liked the hard dungeons a lot), but the quoted post was all about how it was LFR and easy dungeons that made everyone quit and that's just lol.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
Hard dungeons are fine if you have a stable group of people to run with, and aren't using LFD.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Colgate posted:

Hard dungeons are fine if you have a stable group of people to run with, and aren't using LFD.

I enjoeyed them even in lfd, but i was also a tank and had time to spare explaining to or booting people. It was cool when things actually clicked for people and you killed the boss, but yeah I'm not gonna pretend that it was a good way to have the "casual" content set up.

When do ff14 dungeons get hard? I've done up to titan so far and they're all fun and pretty but very easy.

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

There'll be things that can kill you in the upcoming dungeons if you're not paying attention, but they never get truly hard in my opinion.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

The hardest boss in the game is the second boss of Copperbell.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Fister Roboto posted:

The hardest boss in the game is the second boss of Copperbell.

The slimeboss in copperbell has almost as much HP as nael. Its got around 700k hp.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

After Pharos Sirius was a disaster we'll probably never get actually challenging dungeons ever again :(

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

hobbesmaster posted:

Neverreap and fractal weren't easy at ilvl150. Too bad a ton of people are pushing 200 right now.

Yes they were easy. They took a long time to clear but they absolutely were not hard to clear. When I ran both a few days after launch via DF there might've been a piece of i170 gear (a PLD shield or accessory) and maybe a piece of valerian or two on someone but it was i150-155 in both runs and the only wipe was on the Minotaur because the healer and ranged DPS both didn't click the containment unit so we ate the AOE. The dungeons took a long time to clear with a i150 party but that didn't make them hard.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

megalodong posted:

It was, but it came in on the very end patch, after the population had cratered from dungeons that were way too hard for the average player in LFD, too hard trollroics, and raids that were too hard to pug like the wrath raids. Like I don't care what your personal opinion is of all that (I liked the hard dungeons a lot), but the quoted post was all about how it was LFR and easy dungeons that made everyone quit and that's just lol.

LFR in Cata was also still pretty goddamn hard, because you were trying to wrangle 19 other random people into completing the encounter which had only mildly diminished mechanics compared to the main raid. Spine of Deathwing was a battle of trying to convince everyone to just attack a single tentacle instead of all of them, and convincing the other tank on Madness to actually swap was about a 50/50.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Eonwe posted:

Everyone being able to do dungeons and accessibility is good actually

Inaccessible raids is dumb poo poo for idiot shutin grognards

Zaekkor
May 12, 2010

Oh, let's break it down!

Got a pretty nice look going on my 43 DRK. Will probably have to re-glamour this a couple times til 50+ when sexier gear is available.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

The slimeboss in copperbell has almost as much HP as nael. Its got around 700k hp.

I think altogether you have to deal something like 1M damage to kill it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

vOv posted:

I think altogether you have to deal something like 1M damage to kill it.

We did an unsynced run a while back to find out and it took a little over 700k by what ACT said to get it all down.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

quote:

for my garnet glamour I use holy rainbow shirt of casting and dye it pumpkin orange and I use chasses as pants and then I use wyvernsin gloves as red and then I will use the serpentskin bootlets when I'm 60 but in the mean time I'm using vanya cqacows in red then I use a griphy choker I believe and the the first bob I think for hyur and a different face to make her look like garnet
[IMG]C:\Users\Serjio\Documents\My Games\FINAL FANTASY XIV - A Realm Reborn\screenshots[/IMG]

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
*the lost boys chanting*

Ser-ji-o! Ser-ji-o! Ser-ji-o!

*a giant MISSING TEXTURE box flies in out of nowhere*

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Fister Roboto posted:

4-man dungeons were actually really hard in Cata, which was a stupid thing to do because those are supposed to be the casual content.

This guy gets it.

Doublestep posted:

Yea, Catalysm dungeons were hard if your were awful and didn't have an interrupt on your bar. Cataclysm was a great xpac, everything that came in pandaland was awful.

megalodong
Mar 11, 2008

Tenzarin posted:

Yea, Catalysm dungeons were hard if your were awful and didn't have an interrupt on your bar. Cataclysm was a great xpac, everything that came in pandaland was awful.

You know, I liked your trolling of the pedophile BLM, but this is just going too far...

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

megalodong posted:

I think it also only had the very last raid in it too.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
The main issue is that Alex Savage is a giant step backwards from Final Coil (or even Second Coil) in everything aside from difficulty.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Eej posted:

The main issue is that Alex Savage is a giant step backwards from Final Coil (or even Second Coil) in everything aside from difficulty.

Source your quotes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Coil has a better story and visual design than Alex. This is objectively true.

• Locked thread