Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

So there's a documentary film out in the UK at the moment about the singer Orion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3la8GbE-o

For those who don't know, two years after Elvis' death, a soundalike called Orion began touring while wearing a mask and a surprising number of people (fans and industry professionals alike) swore up and down that he was Elvis (despite being the wrong height, wrong build, having the wrong colour eyes etc). It's an interesting look at how people can become so fixated on a legend that the person behind the legend ceases to matter, and can even be replaced entirely. I have no idea if Kojima knows about Orion but it's a fun parallel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.

Snak posted:

Like he won't be able to just build more as soon as he reaches dry land. I'm sure the first thing he does is tip an old person out of their hoverround. And then claim that they threatened him and that it was self-defense. They MADE him do it!

I really wish there was a tape of Huey being interrogated by coast guards.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Party Boat posted:

So there's a documentary film out in the UK at the moment about the singer Orion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-i3la8GbE-o

For those who don't know, two years after Elvis' death, a soundalike called Orion began touring while wearing a mask and a surprising number of people (fans and industry professionals alike) swore up and down that he was Elvis (despite being the wrong height, wrong build, having the wrong colour eyes etc). It's an interesting look at how people can become so fixated on a legend that the person behind the legend ceases to matter, and can even be replaced entirely. I have no idea if Kojima knows about Orion but it's a fun parallel.

Elvis died while BB was in a coma. Coincidence? Ahab was really Elvis.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Castor Poe posted:

I really wish there was a video of Huey being thrown down the stairs by coast guards.
Fixed.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Funky Valentine posted:

Huey builds new legs and spends the rest of his pathetic life scared shitless that Big Boss, Miller, and Ocelot are going to have him offed in the night.

I like this idea. I remember Batman the Animated Series has the Riddler episode ending with the guy who fired Enigma fearing for his life, just sitting in his apartment holding a shotgun in the dark at all times.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Reminder that Huey gets cucked to death.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

SynthOrange posted:

Reminder that Huey gets cucked to death.
Incredible that MGS2 both predicted the concept of memes, and more specifically the most dangerous one of all... the "cuck" meme.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

MGS2 was the perfect game for both 2001 and 2013.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Incredible that MGS2 both predicted the concept of memes, and more specifically the most dangerous one of all... the "cuck" meme.
Why contain it? Let it spill over into the schools and churches, let the bodies pile up in the streets. In the end, they'll beg us to save them.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

So if I was in charge of writing game scripts, here is how I would do it. Your mission is to save a rebel fighter from a horde of Soviets. They've camped out in front of a huge building and the rebel is sniping the crap out of them. You have to sneak to the target because they're antsy and will shoot anyone who approaches, but you have to move fast because the Soviets will just bomb the building if it takes too long. When you finally get to the sniper, surprise, it's a girl. She almost shoots Big Boss but he's got D Dog with him and he sniffs and licks her and the situation is happily defused.

Boss decides that this "Little Wolf" has been a child soldier too long to reform, and has already lost Eli and his boys, so he swears he'll never take his eyes off this one, even if it means taking her into battle. Miller is aghast but Boss says "she's one with the gun. If we take it from her now, she'll have nothing left."

Funky Valentine posted:

Little Wolf rides on Venom's shoulders into battle.

Yesss.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Sep 28, 2015

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

So if I was in charge of writing game scripts, here is ho I would do it. Your mission is to save a rebel fighter from a horde of Soviets. They've camped out in front of a huge building and the rebel is sniping the crap out of them. You have to sneak to the target because they're antsy and will shoot anyone who approaches, but you have to move fast because the Soviets will just bomb the building if it takes too long. When you finally get to the sniper, surprise, it's a girl. She almost shoots Big Boss but he's got D Dog with him and he sniffs and licks her and the situation is happily defused.

Boss decides that this Little Wolf has been a child soldier too long to reform, and has already lost Eli and Quiet, so he swears he'll never take his eyes off this one, even if it means taking her into battle. Miller is aghast but Boss says "she's one with the gun. If we take it from her now, she'll have nothing left."

I hear that final line in Ocelot's voice, but yeah, that's p good.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Speedball posted:

So if I was in charge of writing game scripts, here is ho I would do it. Your mission is to save a rebel fighter from a horde of Soviets. They've camped out in front of a huge building and the rebel is sniping the crap out of them. You have to sneak to the target because they're antsy and will shoot anyone who approaches, but you have to move fast because the Soviets will just bomb the building if it takes too long. When you finally get to the sniper, surprise, it's a girl. She almost shoots Big Boss but he's got D Dog with him and he sniffs and licks her and the situation is happily defused.

Boss decides that this Little Wolf has been a child soldier too long to reform, and has already lost Eli and Quiet, so he swears he'll never take his eyes off this one, even if it means taking her into battle. Miller is aghast but Boss says "she's one with the gun. If we take it from her now, she'll have nothing left."

I think chapter 2 should've been collecting the lame group of bosses from mg1- no Sniper Wolf, you get the Machinegun kid and Shotmaker.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

"Snake, the prisoner you just rescued claims he was trained by NASA to fight extraterrestrials"

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Memes as a concept existed long before MGS2 and the internet. Not as long as cucking though

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Sigma-X posted:

Memes as a concept existed long before MGS2 and the internet. Not as long as cucking though

"Getting cucked" (unlike cucking) is like, the original meme. It predates spoken language and, almost by definition, can't be passed on genetically.

TIL The Vocal Chord Parasites invented cucking.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Panzeh posted:

I think chapter 2 should've been collecting the lame group of bosses from mg1- no Sniper Wolf, you get the Machinegun kid and Shotmaker.

there is actually a "shoot maker" in the game you can recruit but i can't for the life of me find the image. maybe i dreamt it up.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Huey's sudden shift from not-Otacon to Otacon-the-Mad-Scientist was a little weird. I feel almost like I missed something somewhere in Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes (which I didn't play) that drastically changed him.

I'm also kind of "eh" on how much Big Boss changed between Peace Walker and Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes obviously has a lot to do with that--Paz's death and all--but it really sucks the heroism out of him.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Colapops posted:

Huey's sudden shift from not-Otacon to Otacon-the-Mad-Scientist was a little weird. I feel almost like I missed something somewhere in Peace Walker or Ground Zeroes (which I didn't play) that drastically changed him.

I'm also kind of "eh" on how much Big Boss changed between Peace Walker and Phantom Pain. Ground Zeroes obviously has a lot to do with that--Paz's death and all--but it really sucks the heroism out of him.

I think the main thing that happened was that Huey got a job offer from Cipher around the time of GZ and they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. He wanted their offer so much that he was completely willing to sell out his old comrades to make robots for Cipher. None of this is really stated, but it's pretty clear that's what they're implying whenever they mention that Huey escaped the destruction of MSF on Cipher choppers unharmed.

Big Boss stopped being a hero a long time ago. :ssh:

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Funky Valentine posted:

You joke, but this could work. Like how you can use a secondary weapon while carrying someone, exceptnow they aren't dead weight and shoot anyone who gets close.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

ChaosArgate posted:

I think the main thing that happened was that Huey got a job offer from Cipher around the time of GZ and they made him an offer he couldn't refuse. He wanted their offer so much that he was completely willing to sell out his old comrades to make robots for Cipher. None of this is really stated, but it's pretty clear that's what they're implying whenever they mention that Huey escaped the destruction of MSF on Cipher choppers unharmed.

I was taking all of that into consideration with what I said, too. Hopping ship to Cipher--after seeing what Snake could do and the resources at his disposal--is kind of whatever in and of itself but then to go on to murder Strangelove, pull the parasite infestation poo poo on MB, etc. is just going nuts. It's also why I said I felt like I missed some crucial plot point somewhere; the shift in his characterization is just so enormous to me it's like some other character got rolled into Huey or vice versa.

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

ChaosArgate posted:

Huey was also like "Oh hey Boss what if we built our own Metal Gear?" and then "You know we could put a nuke on it too!" Huey was anything but against the nuke in Peace Walker.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Colapops posted:

I'd like to know what happened to Big Boss between PW and GZ to have a sudden change of heart for Paz. Did he forget that she was double agent who played him like a fiddle and tried to nuke his rear end with his own metal gear?

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
cool mod, http://www.nexusmods.com/phantompain/mods/45/ lets you play any mission in subsistence style.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Castor Poe posted:

I'd like to know what happened to Big Boss between PW and GZ to have a sudden change of heart for Paz. Did he forget that she was double agent who played him like a fiddle and tried to nuke his rear end with his own metal gear?

It's funny you mention that. In Peace Walker it's kind of implied that Paz was not entirely willing to be a double-triple-ultra-agent, but listening to the tapes in Phantom Pain you learn that not only was it what she wanted, she killed (and left to die) numerous other people to get there.

I'm starting to realize how much more I liked Peace Walker's story than this game's.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Speedball posted:

You joke, but this could work. Like how you can use a secondary weapon while carrying someone, exceptnow they aren't dead weight and shoot anyone who gets close.

I still think a saddle for D-Dog is the way to go. Then guards could be like... "Is that a child riding a dog?" "No, it's some kind of sniper-wolf!"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Castor Poe posted:

Presumably he heard the diaries she left where she has a change of heart and likes MSF and wants to stay and possibly have babies with Chico but is still way too scared of what Zero will do to her if she doesn't go through with her mission.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Castor Poe posted:

I think its the biggest part of the Medic showing through. In between her plotting for Cipher, she was the official unofficial base mascot, and hung out being friendly with all the MSF soldiers, a tradition carried on by the Paz anime idol posters. Ironically, as an eventual enemy of Big Boss and MSF, she was the personification of the brotherhood on the original Mother Base. The Medics guilt over letting Paz blow up is as strong, if not stronger, of a motive as blowing up Mother Base in Big Boss' drive to exact revenge on Skullface.

e. Oh poo poo completely mixed up acronyms and that's the completely wrong games.

zedprime fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Sep 28, 2015

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

Castor Poe posted:

What change of heart? He's anti-Paz at the end of PW and anti-Paz at the start of GZ. When we first hear from him in Ground Zeroes on the pre-mission tapes, he's saying stuff like "Blacksite? Nice." in regards to Paz's predicament and goes to Camp Omega with the intention of either kidnapping her so MSF can torture her or executing her. It's only after he's confronted with the terrible nature of Camp Omega that you could say he has a change of heart: he starts to show sympathy for her (see: his body language when you find her strung up, putting her in the recovery position when you set her down at the LZ) and then by the time she explodes he's yelling NOOOOOOOOOOO before the medic gets a head full of Paz's rib cage.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

While we're fan-ficcing how FOXHOUND members came to be, imagine recruiting Decoy Octopus. You get a tipoff that he's in <x outpost>. You then have to take out every guard non-lethally and manually check if they're Decoy Octopus in disguise.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot
The most baffling change between this and GZ is that I can't find a way to compare my times or my score to my Steam friends.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Big Boss still kinda cares for Paz in GZ though. Like, if you set her down somewhere safe when extracting her, he goes out of his way to prop her up comfortably. His comment of "nice" regarding the black site sounded sarcastic to me.

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

You basically have to disregard the ending of PW to make sense out of the whole thing. The game ends with a butthurt Big Boss rejecting The Boss' ideology of peace and turning into an emotionally broken delusional war mongering angry rear end in a top hat. Him giving a single gently caress about a traitor who not only tried to destroy his little Disney Land for mercenaries, but also played him for a fool, something that BB doesn't take too kindly, is just baffling. But hey, Metal Gear.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Even Big Boss at his most "8 year-old enraged that mom lied to him about Santa" mode thinks that what was done to Paz was just beyond the pale.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Castor Poe posted:

You basically have to disregard the ending of PW to make sense out of the whole thing. The game ends with a butthurt Big Boss rejecting The Boss' ideology of peace and turning into an emotionally broken delusional war mongering angry rear end in a top hat. Him giving a single gently caress about a traitor who not only tried to destroy his little Disney Land for mercenaries, but also played him for a fool, something that BB doesn't take too kindly, is just baffling. But hey, Metal Gear.

I mean, arguable, Big Boss doesn't ever care that professionals fight against him. Ocelot was basically his enemy in 3, he killed the Boss will he still loved her... He doesn't care what atrocities people commit before he recruits them, and he totally understands different professional motivations for fighting. Big Boss values personal relationships and professional courtesy more than whose side anyone is on. I could totally see him forgiving Paz.

However, the more important aspect of this is that Venom is the one who is forgiving Paz in TPP, and we have to question how much of GZ was actually simulation/false memory and is also from Venom's perspective. Maybe the real Big Boss never did forgive Paz, but Medic did.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012

EngineerSean posted:

The most baffling change between this and GZ is that I can't find a way to compare my times or my score to my Steam friends.

I just want people to know how good I am at driving on two wheels

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The actual Big Boss straight-up quotes the last Phantom Paz tape so who knows really.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Is Venom Snake a better person than Naked Snake (Venom trying to recruit Child Soldiers aside cause Kaz put the kabash on that)? Is it because Venom's playing an idealized version of Big Boss while the real one is an actual dirtbag?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Castor Poe posted:

If you want to go full on cynic mind games, he had a vested interest in returning and attempting to deprogram Paz for Zero's location of course, but also because most of the crew in MSF was in denial about her betrayal and would consider a return of her to the halls of Mother Base as a great victory for a friend in need. A gift for all his best bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Funky Valentine posted:

The actual Big Boss straight-up quotes the last Phantom Paz tape so who knows really.

Well, that's a flashback, so what probably happened is that Venom heard him say that while he was hanging unconscious upside-down in the truck. He then integrated it into his delusion.

edit:

SgtSteel91 posted:

Is Venom Snake a better person than Naked Snake (Venom trying to recruit Child Soldiers aside cause Kaz put the kabash on that)? Is it because Venom's playing an idealized version of Big Boss while the real one is an actual dirtbag?
My take on this is "sort of". I feel like Venom is kind of like Big Boss subconsciously reset to Naked Snake before the end of Snake Eater. When he finds out the Truth, that mirrors Naked Snake's betrayal by the system at the end of Snake Eater, where he loses faith and becomes twisted. Venom punching the mirror is like Big Boss not shaking hands.

Snak fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 28, 2015

• Locked thread