Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Poil posted:

Is it my imagination or is it impossible to turn south if you come from the south east?

There's a left exit where the one highway crosses over the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

Poil posted:

Is it my imagination or is it impossible to turn south if you come from the south east?

The crossing highways are supremely confusing when building these: http://www.dcmiinterchange.com/

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Oh. I only looked along the right lane because that's where I always put ramps. :downs:

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
This drat game is so pretty, even when screenshots get wrecked by steam.

Only a million more hours crawling along at "too many people!" speed to go.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

I loathe correcting traffic issues and this game is the bane of my existence for it.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Westminster System posted:

In your in-game settings on Steam, you can choose to save an uncompressed copy on your hard drive whenever you take a screenshot. I recommend you do that because Steam screenshots are .jpgs and the local copies are .pngs, so they're much higher quality.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

How'd you get your Steam UI to look like that? Mine looks like garbage.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
How the hell do I get offices to level 3? I've got a big block of those samey lvl2 office structures that refuse to upgrade despite having every service imaginable as well as multiple transit lines running around them.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

How the hell do I get offices to level 3? I've got a big block of those samey lvl2 office structures that refuse to upgrade despite having every service imaginable as well as multiple transit lines running around them.

You may need to double up on overlapping services.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Pretty happy with this junction layout

It's serving a major residential and commercial hub, and just expanding the near side commercial hub to support more cims.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.

Poil posted:

Oh. I only looked along the right lane because that's where I always put ramps. :downs:

Right-hand exits only, represent :lesnick::whatup::lesnick:

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
I just got an achievement I never technically earned :v:

just got happy town even though my happiness was only at 94 years, not 95. Which is a good thing because I didn't know how I was gonna get it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Cheers for the words about piers.

Which is the preferred roads mod at this point- Some Roads or Network Extensions Project? I had Some Roads before, but cleared it out as part of the great After Dark mod purge, just to start off again with a clean slate.

e:oh god the day/night cycle is so good

Ofaloaf fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Sep 28, 2015

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Consist posted:

The update really does make things nice to look at.

How'd you get your aquarium to light up? Mine only had floodlights on the outside. Although I seem to have a weird problem of some buildings just not lighting up at night...

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Hadlock posted:

Just throw up a square of road, place the park next to it, add a single panel solar panel, doze the road, profit

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=429575420

If you do that, dead people, crime and fire will make the park a very unpleasant place to be.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Cops don't do foot patrols.

They should, though I use a mod that lets them drive a cruiser on a pedestrian path.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Vahakyla posted:

They should, though I use a mod that lets them drive a cruiser on a pedestrian path.

It should be a district policy.

Segway® Patroller™: Police are now capable of patrolling pedestrian paths. Increases police budget by 15%. Increases crime rate by 5% (no one respects a man on a Segway).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Platystemon posted:

It should be a district policy.

Segway® Patroller™: Police are now capable of patrolling pedestrian paths. Increases police budget by 15%. Increases crime rate by 5% (no one respects a man on a Segway).

I want mounties.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Platystemon posted:

It no one respects a man on a Segway

We actually have these in Dallas. I do not hesitate to yell, "NEEEERRDS!" every time one passes by.

Come on, goons have to have someone to look down on

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010
I got after dark today and first impressions are good. I did however have a bug appear that is problematic. Any of the original road types no longer have zones running along side meaning I can't zone things. I thought it be the no pillars mod but even after removing it the problem persists. It isn't consistent either so sometimes an upgrade will add the zones and other times it won't

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Vahakyla posted:

Just like real life then :v:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Westminster System posted:

Only a million more hours crawling along at "too many people!" speed to go.

What settings/mods are you using here? That looks a lot better than mine.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

vOv posted:

How'd you get your Steam UI to look like that? Mine looks like garbage.

I use a skin that's like this one. I don't know if this is actually the one I'm using, the Windows 8-style skins are all mostly the same thing, but I like the flat colors a lot better than whatever Steam thinks it's doing with its UI these days.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 28, 2015

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Grand Fromage posted:

What settings/mods are you using here? That looks a lot better than mine.

I think everything is maxed and maaaaybe sunshafts. I don't think I have any of the other graphical mods enabled anymore. Theres a handful of modded buildings in there, but theres only 3 or 4 that light up right now that I like.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I tried to start an After Dark city on one of the old maps. It started great with an error message about farms but it ran on as usual. But for some reason I can't build all the parks I could on the euro maps, the tennis court is missing.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Poil posted:

I tried to start an After Dark city on one of the old maps. It started great with an error message about farms but it ran on as usual. But for some reason I can't build all the parks I could on the euro maps, the tennis court is missing.

The euro maps have a sizeable chunk of assets that only exist in that “climate”. The tennis court is one of them, and there's an entire category of unique buildings that only exist on euro maps.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Tippis posted:

The euro maps have a sizeable chunk of assets that only exist in that “climate”. The tennis court is one of them, and there's an entire category of unique buildings that only exist on euro maps.
:bang:

Thanks, but this means I'm stuck on the euro maps and can't use the others if I want to be able to build everything? A shame since the default ones are kinda bad in some ways and every workshop map I've seen has been really gamey and unnatural looking. :sigh:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I'm VERY upset about the handling of bike infastructure and policy in a computer entertainment video game program.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Poil posted:

Thanks, but this means I'm stuck on the euro maps and can't use the others if I want to be able to build everything? A shame since the default ones are kinda bad in some ways and every workshop map I've seen has been really gamey and unnatural looking. :sigh:

Weeell… not stuck really. None of the euro-only assets are really required for anything other than visual variety. I'm not even sure they're needed for the “one of everything” unlock (but I can't remember the wording).

On the other hand, the euro maps have an annoyingly huge high school asset that is much harder to place sensibly than the other map types. So there's that to balance things out. :D

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Oh no, some mod I have installed seems to have broken bus stops. If I have the bus stop maker selected and my mouse rolls over a block for a bus stop I get a null reference error :geno:

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Baronjutter posted:

I'm VERY upset about the handling of bike infastructure and policy in a computer entertainment video game program.

Me too.

I just found the Network Extensions mod, really hoping they add singletrack rail (and low-speed residential roads with sharrows for bikes would be nice...)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The game just straight up deleting custom assets sure is awesome. All my high schools disappeared and I had to find it again and resubscribe.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009

Poil posted:

Get Euro Building Unlocker and build everything on every map. It lets you build all the varieties of assets but won't spawn in say, International buildings on a Euro map or vice versa unless you use theme policies / theme mods. Its incredibly useful for varying up your clinics, hospitals, schools etc in different neighbourhoods as well as it makes all the hospital and school models available. Which is a god send if you've ever tried to fit European High Schools in anywhere, though a few here and there for thematics is still nice.

Chenghiz posted:

Me too.

I just found the Network Extensions mod, really hoping they add singletrack rail (and low-speed residential roads with sharrows for bikes would be nice...)

Doesn't every single vanilla road have a bicycle lanes option? Or is that not good enough?

Not that you really need it unless you ban sidewalk biking or don't like drawing crazy pointlessly overcomplex bicycle paths.

On a tangent, bus stations are hilarious. I have one with a Metro station right next to it which is hideous to watch when it spills forth commuters, but it has a 500+ usage rate and theres like 600 people stood on one of these bus stops right now. I'm scared.

Westminster System fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Sep 28, 2015

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Poil posted:

Use the building theme mod and the Euro building unlocker mods, which should allow you to use and buildings on any map, as well as control what theme shows up where.

If you don't want to bother with that, though, I have some European maps which look sort of realistic in the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnimeLord/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

MrMiyagi also has a ton of realistic looking maps with European themes, and a lot of them are based on real world locations as well. They're really good.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/brazendesigns/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

ABen
Jul 11, 2008

Look - we need to have a stiff upper lip about this Black Death business.

Fish Fry Andy posted:

Use the building theme mod and the Euro building unlocker mods, which should allow you to use and buildings on any map, as well as control what theme shows up where.

If you don't want to bother with that, though, I have some European maps which look sort of realistic in the workshop:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/AnimeLord/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

MrMiyagi also has a ton of realistic looking maps with European themes, and a lot of them are based on real world locations as well. They're really good.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/brazendesigns/myworkshopfiles/?appid=255710

Just got back into this after buying After Dark. The day/night cycle looks amazing, and I'm already spending way too much time designing interchanges. Seems about right.

Anyways, Zakerias has some very nice maps in the European style, though they tend to be very heavily influenced by the Netherlands (i.e. more water, fewer hills). I'm currently playing on Erasmuspoort, and it's a pleasure. My only complaint is that I don't have any reason to use tunnels.

You can find the maps here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/zakerias/myworkshopfiles

Wish I could find something based on southern Bayern/foothills of the Alps - would probably be farming heavy, but some interesting terrain to build on there.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Can a city survive without dirty industry? Eventually because of education policy and college education, no one works factories anymore so I just place offices to negate the demand instead. My commercial areas will just import materials they need then right?

buglord fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Sep 28, 2015

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
I feel really stupid, but I don't see where there is an option to add bike lanes to roads? I see the bus/taxi lane roads, but not bikes.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Are there any must have mods for a first time player or is it okay just to play the game vanilla?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Avocados posted:

Can a city survive without dirty industry? Eventually because of education policy and college education, no one works factories anymore so I just place offices to negate the demand instead. My commercial areas will just import materials they need then right?

Your education policy will not make people refuse to work low skill jobs, they will simply seek employment elsewhere first. If you have unemployed people and jobs available they will take them, but they will take office and skilled work first.

High tier dirty industry actually includes some skilled positions and is also less polluting, so you can make a mixed office/tech park if you want a low-pollution option. You will get more tax by producing your own goods and selling them in your own stores, but your commercial can import its goods if it needs to.

ToastyPotato posted:

I feel really stupid, but I don't see where there is an option to add bike lanes to roads? I see the bus/taxi lane roads, but not bikes.

Scroll right?

You can't do it with one way roads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

ToastyPotato posted:

Pretty sure it's (for whatever reason) under decorations, not roads. Also note that placing bike lanes prevents you from having building access on that side of the road.