Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

PoptartsNinja posted:

The last time the Capellans and ComStar had a War Crimes contest the Jihad happened. In the end the Taurian Concordat and Duchy of Regulus won.

Yeah but the Taurians were reduced to even poorer than they already were. Disgusting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!
To be fair, anyone gauche enough to actually name their elite military unit "Death Commandos" and paint them black with a skull motif probably deserves to get nuked a few dozen times, at the very least.

Edit: Also, if the Capellan Confederation is mostly Chinese, shouldn't their units be white, not black? Although black seems to be increasingly common in modern China as a death motif as well, so...

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Sep 27, 2015

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Man, if nobody's won it yet, there needs to be a second round of entries since its been a while.

All those pirate-types sure need a trusty right hand man and first matey, after all!

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

thetruegentleman posted:

To be fair, anyone gauche enough to actually name their elite military unit "Death Commandos" and paint them black with a skull motif probably deserves to get nuked a few dozen times, at the very least.

Edit: Also, if the Capellan Confederation is mostly Chinese, shouldn't their units be white, not black? Although black seems to be increasingly common in modern China as a death motif as well, so...

Remember that BT was written by a bunch of middle-aged white dudes in the 80s.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It gets better.

When you justify that in fluff, you have the post-revival Capellans romanticizing an ideal of China as envisioned by a bunch of middle-aged white dudes from the 80s.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

At least with the DC they wrote in the excuse that the Combine was made all Japanese-ish by a Coordinator who was a galactic-level weeb rather than being actually founded by Japanese people. The CC? They thought they actually GOT IT.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Defiance Industries posted:

At least with the DC they wrote in the excuse that the Combine was made all Japanese-ish by a Coordinator who was a galactic-level weeb rather than being actually founded by Japanese people. The CC? They thought they actually GOT IT.

This is so sad: they must have been so afraid of losing weeaboo street cred that they made the Combine weeaboos like themselves instead of an actual Japanese civilization.

Defiance Industries posted:

Remember that BT was written by a bunch of middle-aged white dudes in the 80s.

Ah yes, 80's storytelling...where childish enthusiasm, greed, a distaste for conventional story telling, and drug use all combined to set a story telling bar so low that you could get away with almost any hot mess of a story: "The Death Commandos have decided to ambush a secret convoy protected by an order of knights known as the Paladins of the Round, filming the slaughter so that they can further humiliate and frustrate their ancient enemy. Little do they know that their raid was actually planned by a Comstar spy, who has leaked the Death Commandos plan to an elite unit ComStar ROM unit, 'Blake's Bitches', an all female group who intend to eliminate both sides once the battle has worn them down. The opposing mech warriors have only one hope: a khan and his personal guard who discovered ComStar's treachery by chance, and intend to force ComStar to reveal itself once the battle begins to ensure a fair four way fight to the death. Can the writer insert character prove how awesome he is during the chaos, convincing fans everywhere that he's even more amazing than anyone ever believed possible?"

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

wiegieman posted:

The Taurians have a lot of good reasons to go full war crime.

I know, right? All those nuclear warheads, and so many people saying that they can't use 'em. Who can really resist those shiny launch buttons for long? Not real Space Texans, no sir.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

thetruegentleman posted:

This is so sad: they must have been so afraid of losing weeaboo street cred that they made the Combine weeaboos like themselves instead of an actual Japanese civilization.

Ah yes, 80's storytelling...where childish enthusiasm, greed, a distaste for conventional story telling, and drug use all combined to set a story telling bar so low that you could get away with almost any hot mess of a story: "The Death Commandos have decided to ambush a secret convoy protected by an order of knights known as the Paladins of the Round, filming the slaughter so that they can further humiliate and frustrate their ancient enemy. Little do they know that their raid was actually planned by a Comstar spy, who has leaked the Death Commandos plan to an elite unit ComStar ROM unit, 'Blake's Bitches', an all female group who intend to eliminate both sides once the battle has worn them down. The opposing mech warriors have only one hope: a khan and his personal guard who discovered ComStar's treachery by chance, and intend to force ComStar to reveal itself once the battle begins to ensure a fair four way fight to the death. Can the writer insert character prove how awesome he is during the chaos, convincing fans everywhere that he's even more amazing than anyone ever believed possible?"

I... I can't even tell whether that's an actual story or something you just made up on the spot. :ohdear:

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Perestroika posted:

I... I can't even tell whether that's an actual story or something you just made up on the spot. :ohdear:

Maybe Stackpole found the thread

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

:battletech:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

W.T. Fits posted:

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Dougram always was the most only dangerous Shadow Hawk.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Poor Wolverines never get any respect. At least people talk about the Shadow Hawk to complain how worthless it is!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

W.T. Fits posted:

Anyone else having trouble seeing embedded images hosted on imgur? I haven't been able to see them for the last few days.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone else having trouble seeing embedded images hosted on imgur? I haven't been able to see them for the last few days.

Have you tried another browser? I've got Chrome and I see them just fine.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Looking further it appears to be a triggerhappy ublock filter.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Tran posted:

I know, right? All those nuclear warheads, and so many people saying that they can't use 'em. Who can really resist those shiny launch buttons for long? Not real Space Texans, no sir.

I was thinking about the multiple unprovoked wars of aggressive conquest started by the great houses that reduced them from a prosperous independent nation to a poverty stricken rump state.

But that bit about Texans is also true.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

wiegieman posted:

I was thinking about the multiple unprovoked wars of aggressive conquest started by the great houses that reduced them from a prosperous independent nation to a poverty stricken rump state.

Yeah, we heard a lot about all those wars of spheroid aggression, they typically forget a few very important points.

The Space Texans call their money "The Bull" , I know the clanners call theirs "Kerenskys" and that's terrible, but come on, this ten gallon hat, that'll be be ten bulls, yes of course, here's your change.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

wiegieman posted:

But that bit about Texans is also true.

The Jihad was really the final blow and they started that beef with the Davions all on their own.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
Laager: Tactical Update 4

“The hell are they doing?” Arakiel leaned back in her command couch, her gloved hands slipping from the Viking’s controls for a moment as she considered the enemy’s suddenly stalled advance. Thickly muscled arms crossed over her broad chest. Her impressive physique would’ve made her rather imposing if only she hadn’t been fully a head shorter than nearly everyone she’d ever met. Her height hadn’t stopped her from stealing a BattleMech but even as a pirate she’d gotten little respect. Her callsigns had always been ‘dwarf’ or ‘shorty’ or other equally unimaginative things and it didn’t matter how many arms she twisted or skulls she cracked, they always seemed to stick.

Only ComStar had never looked down on her, even before she’d joined. They’d always treated her with a respectful professionalism, and ComStar’s ties to the pirates in the periphery were nearly always amicable. Who else could ComStar rely on to keep the successor states than the downtrodden, the forgotten, and the desperate? The periphery had always been ComStar’s most fertile place for recruitment as well. The natives—always a hair’s breadth from becoming pirates themselves—felt the lack of technology more than most, and revered it more than the decadent natives nearer Terra.

Arakiel’s conversion had been as complete as it was earnest: ComStar had done, as a whole, what no other group ever had: they’d treated her with respect. For the most part. She had heard the Word, and the Word had spoken to her.

“They disorganized?” She asked, still trying to make heads or tails of the enemy’s maneuvers. “Not expecting ComStar to put up meaningful resistance?”

“Fool,” Kernoff’s chastisement was harsh, she could picture his hawkish brow furrowing. Most days Arakiel managed to keep a hair’s breadth from punching the smug from Kernoff’s sharp-face, and it seemed today was going to test her more than most.

“They’re letting the tanks advance first.” Kernoff’s sneer was audible. “After all, why risk their BattleMechs finding out whether or not we’ve mined the bridges?”

“Have we mined the bridges?” Arakiel asked in sharp reply. “Because that would have been an actually good idea.”

Shooting Phase
BattleMaster (Player)
- Fires ER PPC at Snake (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 construction = 10): rolled 5, miss!
- Fires ER PPC at Snake (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 construction = 10): rolled 4, miss!
- Gains 30 heat, sinks 34

Viking (Player)
- Torso-twists to threaten hex !
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-20 at Archer (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 3, miss!
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-20 at Archer (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Fires Artemis IV LRM-15 at Archer (4 base + 4 range + 1 movement + 1 enemy movement = 10): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 18 heat, sinks 20

Catapult II (Player)
- Fires LRM-20 at Archer (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 10, 16 missiles hit Left Arm (15/20 armor remaining), Right Arm (15/20 armor remaining), Left Arm (10/20 armor remaining), Right Torso (21/22 armor remaining)!
- Fires LRM-20 at Archer (4 base + 4 range + 0 movement + 1 enemy movement = 9): rolled 3, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20

Legacy (Player)
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Snake (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 construction = 10): rolled 9, miss!
- Fires Gauss Rifle at Snake (4 base + 2 range + 0 movement + 2 enemy movement + 2 construction = 10): rolled 7, miss!
- Gains 2 heat, sinks 20

Lao Hu
- Fires ER Large Laser at Catapult II (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 20!

Cataphract
- Fires ER PPC at Viking (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 5, miss!
- Gains 17 heat, sinks 32!

Archer
- Fires ER Large Laser at Catapult II (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 6, miss!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Catapult II (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 partial cover = 11): rolled 4, miss!
Gains 26 heat, sinks 24!

Rifleman II
- Holds fire!

Huron Warrior
- Attempts to fire ER Large Laser at BattleMaster, no line of sight to target!
- Attempts to fire ER Large Laser at Legacy, no line of sight to target!
- Attempts to fire ER Large Laser at Viking, no line of sight to target!
- Fires ER Large Laser at Catapult II (4 base + 4 range + 2 movement + 0 enemy movement + 1 construction + 1 partial cover = 12): rolled 6, miss!
- Gains 14 heat, sinks 11! (good lord I forgot how poorly designed the Huron Warrior is)

Snake
- Holds fire!

Helios
- Holds fire!

Wolverine
- Holds fire!

Von Luckner
- Holds fire!

Brutus
- Holds fire!

Brutus (PPC)
- Holds fire!

Demolisher (Gauss)
- Holds fire!

Player Status:

Allied Status

Opposing Force Status:

Mission Objective:
- Hurt them (0/3)
- - Hurt them more (0/6)
- - - Teach them the Word (0/9)

Secondary Objectives:
- Defend the Turret Control Tower (0/1)
- Defend the Administration Building (0/1)
- Keep enemy `Mechs out of the `Mechbay (0/1)

Special Rules:
Construction Zones – Unless the hex states otherwise, all construction zones count as light woods.

Reload Point – ComStar’s technicians are very motivated and have six tons of LRM reloads available. They can reload 2 tons of LRM ammo per turn spent inside the Mechbay. The Legacy isn’t built for quick reloads, but the technicians may be able to supply it with one additional ton of gauss rifle ammo. If only one `Mech is in the Mechbay the technicians will also replace damaged armor plates, restoring the armor on all damaged sections up to the nearest multiple of 5. If a section is already at a multiple of five, its armor cannot be restored.

Hidden Assets – The light autocannon turrets are currently in low-power standby mode. ComStar has always maintained up rumors that the power grid supporting them is incomplete or somehow insufficient to power them. They will not open fire until at least two players request their activation on the same turn. This deception may be detected by enemy units with a Beagle Active Probe.

Orders Due: Midnight Tuesday!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Hahahah, the fluff piece for this one is great.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Are you sacrificing the Huron Warrior because you've realised it is trash?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

quote:

(good lord I forgot how poorly designed the Huron Warrior is)

DHS shortage?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Things with low movement mods out of cover: Looks like the Rifleman, Demolisher, and Helios.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
The Huron Warrior is a pretty decent mech with the Gauss and ER LLas on a mobile platform, but this variant does suffer a bit from its lack of DHS.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

KnoxZone posted:

The Huron Warrior is a pretty decent mech with the Gauss and ER LLas on a mobile platform, but this variant does suffer a bit from its lack of DHS.

SSW seems to think this variant is a lot better than the one on the field. The sudden lack of DHS burns it so bad.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat

goatface posted:

Are you sacrificing the Huron Warrior because you've realised it is trash?

Who says I'm sacrificing anything?

You get to choose to shoot it or shoot the tanks.

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.
I hope at least one tank ends its movement on a bridge. Just to give a nice thematic moment to turn the turrets on.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If anyone has cluter weapons, now would be a great time to de-track some tanks.

The Merry Marauder
Apr 4, 2009

"But she goes not abroad, in search of monsters to destroy. She is the well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and vindicator only of her own."

Voyager I posted:

If anyone has cluter weapons, now would be a great time to de-track some tanks.

Well, ideally you want to do that if they end their turn on a bridge, but yeah, mobility hits are good.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Pop pop pop the tank treads, time to start dropping them.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I'm considering one of two actions:

1) Backing up into 0729/0629 and firing on the Von Luckner on 11s with LRMs

or

2) walking to 1329 and firing on the Huron Warrior with both LRMs (10s), both MLs and one TSEMP (12s)

I might get lucky and pop a tread on the tank, but I could focus a lot more damage on the Huron Warrior.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Technowolf posted:

or

2) walking to 1329 and firing on the Huron Warrior with both LRMs (10s), both MLs and one TSEMP (12s)

I might get lucky and pop a tread on the tank, but I could focus a lot more damage on the Huron Warrior.

Save the shut down cannon for next turn when you have a better shot.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Remember that firing the TSEMP means harder shots next turn. It's probably not a good idea to fire it on 12s.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Technowolf posted:

or

I would consider not moving at all and shooting the Von Luckner on 8s. I think it is right inside your LRM medium range now. Wasting LRM shots on 11s and 12s is realllly bad.

Keep in mind our typical scenario length is around 20 turns (With some outliers hitting 30 for the huge matches), and most of you only have 12 turns of LRM ammo.

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

dis astranagant posted:

Remember that firing the TSEMP means harder shots next turn. It's probably not a good idea to fire it on 12s.

The TSEMP is going to need some good planning. The first and most obvious thing is "you want to target someone who the other 3 players can focus-fire on, so what you shut down for one turn never gets up." The second thing is that firing the TSEMP gimps your targeting ability on the next turn. So you'll want to consider the next turn and how the TSEMP will turn good shots into mediocre shots, or mediocre shots into bad shots. If you're firing the TSEMPs, I'd fire as much as possible, just trying to avoid ammo explosions, because you have Jump 4, and you can probably expect to not be firing much, if anything, the next turn.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

Soiled Meat
The others are correct, you don't want to take TSEMP potshots.

I know it's tempting to say "Oh, TSEMP has a charge time but if I alternate and fire one every turn the other can charge and I can keep up the harassment" but that's a really bad idea.

If you're going to fire one of your TSEMP cannons you really want to fire both. If both shots hit the second gets a bonus to the shutdown roll, and even though firing a TSEMP applies a big penalty (+2) to your next turn's shooting phase that penalty does not stack. Preferably you also want to be in a position where you can either kick the same turn or the turn after to force a piloting test, which means the best time to fire the TSEMP is point blank. It's really not a long-range weapon which is why it's got the same range bracket as the standard large laser but worse.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

I would consider not moving at all and shooting the Von Luckner on 8s. I think it is right inside your LRM medium range now. Wasting LRM shots on 11s and 12s is realllly bad.

Keep in mind our typical scenario length is around 20 turns (With some outliers hitting 30 for the huge matches), and most of you only have 12 turns of LRM ammo.

I agree, you'll take some return fire but that's pretty much inevitable. (If the crane hadn't gotten destroyed, you'd take LESS return fire. But I digress.) Nobody has good shots on you yet. I suggest waiting on the TSEMPs until the enemy is in or near short range to the fort. Ideally, you shut down someone right next to an AC/5 turret and then we turn them on.

The Huron Warrior can't jump, so it's mainly just a threat to get into short range with a Gauss Rifle and try to head-shot us. If we can mobility kill a tank at this range, especially that Van Luckner, it'll be a big deal for later in the fight. Either the Huron closes next turn or it turns away; if it closes, it doesn't have options that don't involve moving fewer hexes and your hit chances will become quite good against it, so I anticipate it turning away again.

I could theoretically hit the Warrior on 9s, or I can hit the Von Luckner or the Brutus behind it on 10s. I am inclined to focus-fire on the Von Luckner. It's our highest-value target right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Keep in mind you should - i think - get two turns worth of firing out of turrets at least; the turn they activate enemies shouldn't have fire orders on them, and they might the next turn, but all shooting is concurrent, so their shots will go off at least.

If you can arrange poor positioning or backshots, that may just make a huge difference.

• Locked thread