Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Press cameras are always the coolest looking.

Look at all those shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Geektox posted:

Press cameras are always the coolest looking.

Look at all those shoes.

Three cold ones, no waiting.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

what the gently caress posted:

The only thing that kind of puts me off the trophy plate is I heard that you can only re-use them once or twice because of the coating.. (is it asphaltum I wonder)? I've reused my glass plates heaps which I guess is the beauty of it but that black glass isn't cheap..

Is this the stuff you mean? http://www.nameplatesengineering.com.au/category/Coated-Aluminium/83

Yep the one with product number: SNACAGB
They come with a clear adhesive on top that you peel off just before you pour the plate. I haven't had any issues re-using the trophy plate, but I imagine if you're too rough on the surface you'll screw it up, generally I just wipe off the collodion while its still wet if I want to use it with a paper towel and its good to go.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Cheers. He's going to send me a sample plate to try out. Look forward to trying it.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

They're pretty helpful guys, and the prices are good.

EDIT: Here's some content, Foma 400 stand dev in Rodinal

Spedman fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Sep 21, 2015

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Would anybody happen to know how the Hasselblad winder knob light meter compares with a metered prism? I'm assuming the prism would be more accurate, but the idea of having built-in metering while getting the waist-level shooting experience also sounds interesting.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer
I got first couple of rolls shot with my ancient Pentacon Six processed, and I'm generally happy with the results. Photos are generally crappy, because I just wanted to see if the camera was working, but, nonetheless, I'm bought with medium format:

I also had this happen:

These two frames are next to each other, in the middle of the roll of film. That splotch, which I presume is a light leak, is centered between these two frames. From second picture it is pretty clear that second curtain stayed half-open for a moment, which would overexpose the film, but I'm surprised that light leaked on next frame. If that is what happened at all.

Also, for anyone familiar with Pentacon Six, how uneven is spacing between the frames supposed to be?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

Would anybody happen to know how the Hasselblad winder knob light meter compares with a metered prism?

They'll both be less accurate and less flexible than an inexpensive handheld meter.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

MrBlandAverage posted:

They'll both be less accurate and less flexible than an inexpensive handheld meter.

Okay. But how do the two I mentioned compare to each other?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

404notfound posted:

Okay. But how do the two I mentioned compare to each other?

The prism will make your camera heavier and the winder knob won't do TTL metering.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

First few frames scanned out of my new Yashica-Mat, oh god how do I sunny-16?

ape
Jul 20, 2009

Doctor Bombadil posted:

I got first couple of rolls shot with my ancient Pentacon Six processed, and I'm generally happy with the results. Photos are generally crappy, because I just wanted to see if the camera was working, but, nonetheless, I'm bought with medium format:

These two frames are next to each other, in the middle of the roll of film. That splotch, which I presume is a light leak, is centered between these two frames. From second picture it is pretty clear that second curtain stayed half-open for a moment, which would overexpose the film, but I'm surprised that light leaked on next frame. If that is what happened at all.

Also, for anyone familiar with Pentacon Six, how uneven is spacing between the frames supposed to be?

Hm, on mine the 1/125 speed sticks open but the rest are fine. You should try running it a bunch with no film in it at various speeds and see if it's just one that has issues. I had some frame overlap issues on one roll, but I think I just loaded it wrong that time.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Untitled by Simon Chetrit, on Flickr

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Largo San Giovanni de Matha, Roma by alkanphel, on Flickr

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Just got back my first roll from my Pentax 6x7!

img031.jpg by Kevin Nicotera, on Flickr

img024.jpg by Kevin Nicotera, on Flickr

img023.jpg by Kevin Nicotera, on Flickr

Love the detail from this camera so much! I think my Pentax 6x7 will be used a lot.

The Claptain
May 11, 2014

Grimey Drawer

ape posted:

Hm, on mine the 1/125 speed sticks open but the rest are fine. You should try running it a bunch with no film in it at various speeds and see if it's just one that has issues. I had some frame overlap issues on one roll, but I think I just loaded it wrong that time.

The roll was evenly shot at 1/500 and 1/1000. I've already tried running without film, and didn't see the curtains getting stuck. Only time that curtain is not "behaving" is at 1/2 and 1 second, but it just stays fully open a bit longer (not much though), and then closes without issue.

Now I remember that while shooting this rool my apperture was staying stepped down, so I took of the lens and saw that lever which pushes apperture pin is bent a little so I nudged it where it should be, which fixed it, but it is possible that light found it's way to the film then.

I will test it more, and I believe I should get it cleaned and checked, just in case.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Foma 400 4x5, stand developed in Rodinal

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
iPhone pic of 8x10 plate made today.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Image 1-9 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Dat beat by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Image 1-23 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

Image 1-15-2 by Harvard J Nasty, on Flickr

I still underexpose most of my shots, but I think I'm getting better at scanning and post stuff.

HNasty fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Sep 23, 2015

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Pails, Clementi by alkanphel, on Flickr

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

Are you selling your plates yet? I will conceivably have legal tender in the near future to exchange for them.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

That is a really nice plate, nailing the wpc process.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

voodoorootbeer posted:

Are you selling your plates yet? I will conceivably have legal tender in the near future to exchange for them.

I still have a couple of issues to iron out, but I probably won't be too far off feeling confident enough to sell them. I'm cautious to start selling something I'll look back on later down the track and think "that was rubbish"

Maybe give me another couple of months... what would you be interested in? I'd really like to sell them framed because the thing I've got going with my framer here they look loving incredible. In that case I'd do goon rates of probably cost of framing + $50 or so (so probably about $300AUD/$220ish USD for a framed 8x10?)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

Foma 400 4x5, stand developed in Rodinal

Again, in trays or tanks? I could never get stand development, I always ended up with terrible streaking and that bromide drag or whatever they call it. I think I got one clean roll out of it, no matter how much I tapped or banged the tank after inversion to clear the bubbles, always around near where the film was in whatever was holding it was awful marks. You got some pretty clean negs there especially for foma, which is pretty unforgiving (ime)

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Again, in trays or tanks? I could never get stand development, I always ended up with terrible streaking and that bromide drag or whatever they call it. I think I got one clean roll out of it, no matter how much I tapped or banged the tank after inversion to clear the bubbles, always around near where the film was in whatever was holding it was awful marks. You got some pretty clean negs there especially for foma, which is pretty unforgiving (ime)

Hangers in tanks, I'm not happy with the small tank I've made, it needs a baffle for the fluid to enter the tank, at the moment its causing a bit of streaking across the negs. You shouldn't get bromide drag with Rodinal, as it doesn't have any in it! Clean negs are pretty easy with hangers, you just need to be careful with the soft Foma emulsion, it does scratch pretty easy. I need to shoot the rest of the Foma I've got at least a stop over exposed, they've been taking too much work in post to get them semi-decent.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Spedman posted:

Hangers in tanks, I'm not happy with the small tank I've made, it needs a baffle for the fluid to enter the tank, at the moment its causing a bit of streaking across the negs. You shouldn't get bromide drag with Rodinal, as it doesn't have any in it! Clean negs are pretty easy with hangers, you just need to be careful with the soft Foma emulsion, it does scratch pretty easy. I need to shoot the rest of the Foma I've got at least a stop over exposed, they've been taking too much work in post to get them semi-decent.

By bromide drag I mean just that real concentrated over or under development in the corners/edges, and on 120 rolls just super splotchy development where it just looks like none has gotten... although that could be put down to how the film is sitting in the reel (sometimes it just doesn't seem like it's sitting right no matter how many times i put it in)

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

Just on this...

I posted this to a WPC facebook group and one of the guys there replied with this image of a plate made by Alexander Gardener (my name is Alexander Gard) in 1862.

pretty cool/weird little thing :yaycloud:

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Neat, and you were better at pouring than him (or he ran out of collodion).

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
A camera store near me has what I think is a 5x7 Compact Graflex with a "Bausch & Lomb Zeiss Tessar Series 1a" lens fitted, for $200. Am I supposed to buy this.

Edit: if what I'm reading is correct, this is a pre-war camera. the war, in this case being the Great War.

atomicthumbs fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Sep 27, 2015

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

huge awesome wet plates

dude these are dope as hell.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

atomicthumbs posted:

A camera store near me has what I think is a 5x7 Compact Graflex with a "Bausch & Lomb Zeiss Tessar Series 1a" lens fitted, for $200. Am I supposed to buy this.

I would. Thats a good price if all in working order. Been curious about ditching the 4x5 and doing 5x7

Cheers 8th. Getting there :3: was a promo shoot for a local band. I was keen for more interesting poses but they just wanted the stabdard head & shoulders

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Sep 27, 2015

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

More rad plates.

I spent the afternoon putting my portable darkbox together, and tried a plate with some very old collodion and developer (it didn't come out) to see if I could actually do a 4x5 in there. It worked, just need to get some little tupperware containers.

Basically a shopping bag with a dark bag attached to the side with a sheet of red acrylic for a window.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Hahaha jesus that looks friggin awesome, and very tidy. That's a lot cooler than what I was expecting. So did you say the basket is collapsable? Looks super sturdy. Well done.

I've read different reports somewhere but I think if you're developer is older than a few weeks you'd probably want to make some new stuff. As you probably know, collodion only gets slower with age and more contrast... I think the max shelf life for our etherless formula is a year?

I had to re-shoot the plate of the guy because I had some issues with the plate not being clean enough. Luckily he was only at the pub over the road

The couple shot was no good either, gonna try that again next week somewhere outdoors. As nice as having studio lighting is I still feel much more comfortable working outdoors and I want some scenery . SO many people doing studio wet plate that it's hard to make it stand out, this is just a promo shot for their band's album... and I wanted more interesting poses but they wanted the passport shots.

Good fun though. Really getting the hang of development now.
I've started not sticking to counting off the developer and just stop it when I see the highlights coming in... so far so good. That first one of the girl was something like 30 seconds of development, the second one of the guy was 21 or 22 or something. I saw one of the 'masters' say somewhere that it was silly to stick to seconds, and just go by your eye. Seems to work, if I'd stuck to counting off seconds I would have turfed that plate of the girl and it turned out really good.

Really cool how blue eyes look super translucent because of the sensitivity to blue light

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Sep 27, 2015

Breadnought
Aug 25, 2009

elgarbo
Mar 26, 2013

This is so rad.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

So nice. What are you gonna end up doing with the plates? Giving them to the band or keeping them?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

the 1916 Graflex catalog is full of awesome poo poo, like the Stereo Auto Graflex, which presents a 3D image when viewed with the mirror:

The demo photo is apparently of someone dying

then there's the Naturalist's Graflex

and the Cirkut automatic panoramic cameras

and don't forget the color plate holder, for all your Autochrome needs

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

atomicthumbs posted:

the 1916 Graflex catalog is full of awesome poo poo, like the Stereo Auto Graflex, which presents a 3D image when viewed with the mirror:

I think we may have seen one of these at the big photo sale yesterday. Whitezombi could confirm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think we may have seen one of these at the big photo sale yesterday. Whitezombi could confirm.

they also made Stereo Graphics, which weren't SLRs.

• Locked thread