Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
The Skulls don't even die at 0 HP, so just bait their melee attacks and counter them. Bam, no lethal weapons used, and no kills. Your video also may have gone better if you had non-lethal weapons over rank 2. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Chumpy posted:

This, but unironically.

For content, and also related to MGSV, I'm finding myself getting a bit annoyed at the mysterious checkpoint system. Mysterious because I can't always tell what dictates where and when a checkpoint is hit, and it can happen at some really inopportune times.

The best is the interpreter mission, where it checkpoints after the first prisoner who isn't the one you're supposed to extract, but not the second. Sorry if you happen to gently caress up and want to restart from a checkpoint! You get to run all the way back to them!

Also, sometimes they interrogate the second prisoner again, sometimes they don't.

Red Minjo posted:

The Skulls don't even die at 0 HP, so just bait their melee attacks and counter them. Bam, no lethal weapons used, and no kills. Your video also may have gone better if you had non-lethal weapons over rank 2. :shrug:

This is the loadout I have after doing a whole fuckton of side ops, and being further in the story than when the mission actually takes place. So your solution is "get really far into the game and then replay the mission and then you can beat the bosses non-lethally!"

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Alhazred posted:

Its not really dragging the game down, but I think its weird that there's no trophies for the ps3 version.

One of the achievements for Assassin's Creed was to sit through the game's credits. :geno:

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost
I was having a lot of fun playing this game with stealth and nonlethal takedowns, but then it throws a bunch of unavoidable bullshit combat bosses at me! I don't even have a lethal loadout prepared, gently caress! This sucks. Fortunately I'm complaining about the original release of Deus Ex: HR, which makes me correct and smart, and not this exact circumstance in some other game.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Red Minjo posted:

Baiting their melee attack for half an hour as you whittle down their HP isn't nearly as fun and interesting as you think.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I was having a lot of fun playing this game with stealth and nonlethal takedowns, but then it throws a bunch of unavoidable bullshit combat bosses at me! I don't even have a lethal loadout prepared, gently caress! This sucks. Fortunately I'm complaining about the original release of Deus Ex: HR, which makes me correct and smart, and not this exact circumstance in some other game.
The Skulls are 100% avoidable in four of their five appearances tho.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Action Tortoise posted:

One of the achievements for Assassin's Creed was to sit through the game's credits. :geno:

There was a post credits scene though. That could have easily been a check to see if anyone waits through credits.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

True, but "you can avoid them" isn't really a strong argument in their favor.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I try to sneak past a perfect unbroken cordon of PYF posters. Suddenly Lunchmeat Larry spots me, teleports behind me and tears up my asscheeks with machine-gun posts about my idiot badgamer status. Mission Failed.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Action Tortoise posted:

Far Cry 3's credits lasted the better part of 30 minutes, drat straight that sitting through that is an achievement.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Fission Mailed.

Get your references in order drat it!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I know it is a popular game but World Of Warcraft really grinds my gears

Evil Badman
Aug 19, 2006

Skills include:
EIGHT-FOOT VERTICAL LEAP

Action Tortoise posted:

To be fair, crazy dumb sci-fi poo poo happened right after. So they wanted to guide you to their cliff hanger.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The Saint's Row series went on sale a couple weekends ago on Steam, so I took the chance to finally play 3 and 4. 3 was alright (though really short) and 4 was hella fun.

It kinda bugs me in 4 though, how little it matters that you're the President. Granted, Earth gets blown up like half an hour in and that makes the title rather empty, but for how much it dominates ads/the cover/any mention of SR4, I expected to have the White House as a crib, or Secret Service homies, or a flyable Air Force One, stuff like that.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Byzantine posted:

The Saint's Row series went on sale a couple weekends ago on Steam, so I took the chance to finally play 3 and 4. 3 was alright (though really short) and 4 was hella fun.

It kinda bugs me in 4 though, how little it matters that you're the President. Granted, Earth gets blown up like half an hour in and that makes the title rather empty, but for how much it dominates ads/the cover/any mention of SR4, I expected to have the White House as a crib, or Secret Service homies, or a flyable Air Force One, stuff like that.

If you got all the DLC for 4 then Enter The Dominatrix is a collection of cut missions (presented as a behind-the-scenes/making-of documentary complete with in-character interviews with the characters and storyboarded cutscenes) that gives you a better idea of what the original story would have been when it was originally just a piece of Saints Row 3 DLC about the boss being elected president and having to fight off an alien invasion.

Both 3 and 4 had some pretty messy development what with their publisher going bankrupt and their studio being bought out by German publisher that specialized in niche titles, so as annoying as the asset recycling and dropped plotlines are it's still a testament to their resource management that we managed to get something so complete with a two year dev cycle.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I always thought achievements were just light hearted and fun.

Then they added them to World of Warcraft and it clicked for me as to why they were so "important". People who had quit the game literally came back, paid $15 a month just so they could max out all of the achievements. I then knew that the achievements werent' for the players, they were for the developers.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I haven't played a Metal Gear since MGS (Metal Gear/Snakes Revenge owned when I was a kid) but I picked up MGSV for the PC last night. Looks amazing at 2560x1440, but I could not stop laughing at how batshit crazy the opening prologue was with regards to story and set pieces. Cool, but so over the top. Is the whole game this loving insane?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gorson posted:

I haven't played a Metal Gear since MGS (Metal Gear/Snakes Revenge owned when I was a kid) but I picked up MGSV for the PC last night. Looks amazing at 2560x1440, but I could not stop laughing at how batshit crazy the opening prologue was with regards to story and set pieces. Cool, but so over the top. Is the whole game this loving insane?

No most of it is Demure Snake's adventures through Afghanistan/Africa while Troy Baker yaps in your ear as you Eliminate The Heavy Infantry 04.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Lady Naga posted:

No most of it is Demure Snake's adventures through Afghanistan/Africa while Troy Baker yaps in your ear as you Eliminate The Heavy Infantry 04.

Fair enough. The game also seems to really want me to use my 360 controller instead of KB/mouse in that oh-so-subtle "we put no effort into making these menus work with a mouse on PC" kind of way.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gorson posted:

Fair enough. The game also seems to really want me to use my 360 controller instead of KB/mouse in that oh-so-subtle "we put no effort into making these menus work with a mouse on PC" kind of way.

The menus suck but the rest of the game plays perfectly fine with MKB, maybe even better.

The intro really bites because there's a lot of really good symbolism and metaphor used in it that isn't really ever followed up on due to time/budget constraints due to being the last game Konami was in the middle of making before they imploded.

Having the real Big Boss say "You're talking to yourself!" and point right at you was really cringeworthy though.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Lady Naga posted:

The menus suck but the rest of the game plays perfectly fine with MKB, maybe even better.

The intro really bites because there's a lot of really good symbolism and metaphor used in it that isn't really ever followed up on due to time/budget constraints due to being the last game Konami was in the middle of making before they imploded.

Having the real Big Boss say "You're talking to yourself!" and point right at you was really cringeworthy though.

I must admit being completely lost on the story. Is there a 2 minute video out there that gets me up to speed in the same way as that "This is why North Korea is so hosed up" video does?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Gorson posted:

I must admit being completely lost on the story. Is there a 2 minute video out there that gets me up to speed in the same way as that "This is why North Korea is so hosed up" video does?

All of the relevant backstory is told either through characters in the game, the tapes in your walkman, or the soldiers on your base. In fact, there's even tapes about the state of Afghanistan/Africa in 1984 for peeps who really suck at world history.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

You say it like there's exactly one video that says north korea is messed up.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
As far as Metal Gear sequels go 5 probably has the least baggage. I mean; the overarching plots are brought up now and then and you need to infer that this guy named "Zero" used to be your boss, but there's no mention of the philosopher's legacy, or the Shagohod, or that LBJ had a phone call with Khrushchev or anything. It's a triple platform open world game that can be played more like a traditional shooter than most other games in the series; the developers knew that it was going to be the starting point for a lot of people and tried to make it as accessible as possible.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Most of the series content in MGSV are more like little nods to the other games. Peacewalker is referenced more directly than MGS3 or any other game. And what references do exist are usually explained away in Cassette Tapes if they have any significance or otherwise are just "hey remember this character" *nudge nudge*

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Krinkle posted:

You say it like there's exactly one video that says north korea is messed up.

Only facetiously, like if I were to say I think that maybe the titles and characters in the series are penis references.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Hey goons in Arkham Knight. Will you please shut the gently caress up for more than 10 seconds? I just want to glide in peace.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Fighting convoys in Mad Max quickly becomes really loving lovely.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I was just exploring Mother Base trying to figure out where I could steal the cassette for The Final Countdown, when I came across a semi-hidden room. A cutscene played and, uh, that kinda dragged the game down.

I have no idea how much of it was explicit from Ground Zeroes since I never played it but you find Paz. And then there's a flashback that is kinda sickening. And QUIET is what people were up in arms about?!

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ryoshi posted:

I was just exploring Mother Base trying to figure out where I could steal the cassette for The Final Countdown, when I came across a semi-hidden room. A cutscene played and, uh, that kinda dragged the game down.

I have no idea how much of it was explicit from Ground Zeroes since I never played it but you find Paz. And then there's a flashback that is kinda sickening. And QUIET is what people were up in arms about?!

People were up in arms about that too when it happened. One bad thing doesn't excuse another btw.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I don't recall saying that it did? But by all means keep going, you definitely haven't exhausted your opinions on the MGS franchise over the past several pages. :jerkbag:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

I'm about 2 hours in SOMA and so far I like it, except for one thing: I hate the hide from the headlight man parts. In fact I hate everything to do with the spooky headlight man. I understand without having something that could presumably kill you the game would have no gameplay other than walk from A to B, and I feel thats a major failing with the games design, especially since its so easy to just walk past all the other robot monsters floating in the sea.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ryoshi posted:

I don't recall saying that it did? But by all means keep going, you definitely haven't exhausted your opinions on the MGS franchise over the past several pages. :jerkbag:

Saying "People were complaining about QUIET!?" sounds like the latter is somehow ridiculous in the face of the former.

0 rows returned posted:

I'm about 2 hours in SOMA and so far I like it, except for one thing: I hate the hide from the headlight man parts. In fact I hate everything to do with the spooky headlight man. I understand without having something that could presumably kill you the game would have no gameplay other than walk from A to B, and I feel thats a major failing with the games design, especially since its so easy to just walk past all the other robot monsters floating in the sea.

I feel like the un-gamey nature of the past couple Frictional games works against them, not for them. Resource management was a big part of Penumbra/Amnesia, and without them I don't really feel like there's much tension since "dying" becomes this nebulous sort of binary state. There really aren't any stakes because you no longer have to worry about juggling all these constantly draining meters and being stressed out and potentially wandering right into a beastie because you need to conserve your lamp oil.

Lady Naga has a new favorite as of 04:31 on Sep 29, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

Saying "People were complaining about QUIET!?" sounds like the latter is somehow ridiculous in the face of the former.

They're not even in the same ballpark.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Ryoshi posted:

They're not even in the same ballpark.

You're right, one serves a narrative purpose and the other was post-hoc rationalized away to allow the male gaze to continue.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Oh dear god shut the gently caress up.

The thing dragging Witcher 3 down for me is that I'm still in the early game. It feels like a game that I have to sit down and have a long chunk of playtime, not piddly little 1 long bites.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lady Naga posted:

You're right, one serves a narrative purpose and the other was post-hoc rationalized away to allow the male gaze to continue.

Or it was a tongue in cheek commentary on games and feminism in a game that slaps you across the face with how the entire thing is taking the piss out of the entire gaming industry every ten minutes, but yeah you're totally right

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
My thing dragging down MGSV is the amount of people having sissy slapfights about poo poo nobody cares about.

And the thing that drags down Peace Walker for me is that the game doesn't end after you fight the Peace Walker. I fought a giant robot, and that's all I care about, Game. To hell with Paz and all the other poo poo, I am here to fight giant robots and that's all I'm going to do.

Basically I want more games like Shadow of the Colossus, except with giant robots, because fighting giant robots on foot is never not fun. And Platinum should make those games, because Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is The Greatest Game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Maybe people are more upset about Quiet because Paz is a semi-secret event that you have to explore the game to find out and NOT showing that in a trailer is sort of the point and why its poignant.

The thing dragging Theatre of War 2: Kursk 1943 is that the results screen doesn't tell me anything of all the men that have died in combat. RIP Fritz-B-Gone's crew :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

The thing dragging MGS V down for me is that Miller will not stop commenting on you extracting people. It makes listening to cassette tapes annoying because it's 10 times louder than the cassette audio.