Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Awesome! I was able to get in on one of those a few years back at a local track, and got to rock a street kitted 500exc first thing in the morning. The horn was the best part of that bike for track use. I'm only 170lbs with gear on, and I found the 150SX to be the best bike that I rode that day. A good combo of light and nimble, with more power than the 125, but not enough to get into trouble like a 250sx or 450sxf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
So the KTM Demo day was a blast, but grueling too. 150 riders, 18 bikes, two laps on each of the 6 models. In the morning it took nearly an hour to get through each line. Slow riders (7+ minute laps) and 5 crashed bikes didn't help the lines. KTM did provide free water and cliff bars, that helped a ton.

The two strokes were fun but ultimately they reward a very aggressive riding style; anything less than wide open manhandling wasn't very enjoyable. Especially with the 125 and 150, the trade off in weight didn't justify the harsh and narrow power and necessary attention to clutch and gearing. Then again I'm 6'4 220lbs, go figure I don't like the kid's bikes. The 250SX's bottom end was much stronger obviously, but I was missing the 4Ts.

The 250F was incredible. The engine was strong everywhere and kept on pulling. It felt a lot like my '14 350. It was easy to be smooth and fast and it didn't wear you out. I could ride that bike all day. The 450 was really fun; immediate, smooth power that sounds awesome. There is a big single that leads into some sand. Every other bike struggled here besides the 450. It was a highlight to lean back and power out. I was the fastest on it but it wore me out. Horesepower hill is deceptively steep; a good run requires a fast run through the whoops. I started on the 350 first and didn't get a good read, my primary observation was that the bottom end was much stronger than my '14 350.

The suspension was great across the board. Besides the 125/250 (which I bottomed) I had no complaints. I clipped the landing of a medium sized table with the front on the 250F with no complaints. My '14 was pretty harsh until I sprung it for my weight.

TL:DR - 2T is too peaky, 450 is fast, 250 is smooth.

Videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qrip5Zbm7Es

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjr0MKJ1fKc

At the end of the day I missed my bike and was wishing for more track time on a bike setup for me. Washougal is incredible. Non of the jumps are do-or-die, and the flowy berms+long straights were a nice change over the fair grounds track I normally ride. I'll try to make a practice day soon...

GI Joe jobs fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Aug 26, 2015

Mayor Poopenmayer
Feb 15, 2006

Mayor of Pooptown
I went for a BRAAAAAP today

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Washougal looks like a great track for someone with limited MX skills. Wish I still had a dirtbike and a place like that close to me.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
I was in Canada last week for work and took a few vacation days.
One of them I did a full day at https://www.trailtours.ca which is a couple of hours east of Toronto.
$260 Canadian all in, including bikes, fuel, gear, drinks, lunch, and optional insurance in case I yardsale'd a bike.

I did 3 hours of enduro riding in the morning, there are thousands of acres of woods there and they have a variety of trails for different skill levels. We did a mix of single track, hill climbs and hardpack fire roads with sections of deep sand. I rode a crf230l initially then stepped up to a crf250x. Their bikes are all brand new from Honda every season and were in perfect condition. Instructors/guides take you around a small section at their base initially to assess your skill level then they split everyone off into appropriate groups.

Got a decent lunch back at the base.

In the afternoon I did 3 hours of 1:1 trials instruction, starting with the complete basics of body position and trials theory and working up to slightly more advanced techniques.

If i was going again I'd try to do an afternoon enduro session and the Trials the next morning to spread out the torture to rarely used muscle groups, and to avoid being out in the sun wrestling the trials bike in the afternoon.

I've no pics really as i was too busy riding most of the day and i didn't bring my gopro.
Here are a few I snapped at the lunch break.

The trials bike

Abandon all hope ye who enter here

crf 150s up to 450s

Irish people are not built for the heat + MX gear

A souvenir of the day

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

That looks pretty loving awesome

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
It's cool getting the perspective other styles of riding give you. Trials skill are so fundamental, you'd expect the sport to be more popular.

Speaking of bike skills, I want to do this someday:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-90Fg1ufM4

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

First trip out with my freshly rebuilt turdbike :3:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Does the Yamaha AG100 count as a dirtbike for the purpose of this thread? If so, has any goon here owned one?

http://www.farmtrader.co.nz/reviews/1106/yamaha-ag100-bike-test/

In fixing to buy one in the very near future as a runabout around town and also for checking out field sites in the bush.

Silver
May 12, 2001

Suzuki lover number one!
Suspension can make a world of difference. Put in all the crashes and stuff right at the start, then side by side video of suspension all wonky and then after my bro gets it lined out for me. *caution* as always language warning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrnP9TeTVoU

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/mcy/5236930841.html

What should this thing sell for? How are the XRs as a first dirtbike that will be used in the desert, mostly?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I traded my Ducati for some cash and this thing.

2006 YZ450F. I'll be joining you all in broken body land soon.

(I'm looking for supermoto wheels so I can use it at the local kart track)

I'm going to be going over it tomorrow, installing a new sprocket + chain that came with it, etc. What should I know about these things?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Sep 26, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
keep the oil fresh and the valves adjusted. run it on premium.

I think they corrected the weak trannies by then.
as new as it is it should have SSS forks, which ROCK. get the suspension setup for you.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm headed out in the morning to ride it. Should probably gopro this poo poo. :v:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I put 70mi on it today, ran really well but I noticed I have to be WOT to get the fucker started. Just need to clean the carb? it idles fine when it starts up.

Bike definitely has way more power than will ever be usable by me but it didn't stall the few times I lugged the poo poo out of it. 5th gear pinned out and still spinning the back. Pretty cool.

Definitely like it though. :) Need to set the suspension up because it feels like poo poo - too stiff. Probably just ebay some used forks and a rear shock then send em off to be worked over.

Also, I didn't crash and I wasn't being a pussy with the throttle :v:

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Sep 27, 2015

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress with the clickers first :v:

The power of those things is loving addictive isn't it. the 04 I owned was a 4 speed though. they kept blowing 5th up so yami just quit putting 5th in em for 2 years. even then, wheelies and roosts all day long.

E: VVVV HAHA YES.

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Sep 27, 2015

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

450's don't get you when your whooping around on the gas having a good time, they get you when poo poo starts to get squirrelly and oh gently caress you came out of the rut and oh gently caress you hit that rock wrong and oh poo poo your not really in the seat and holy gently caress why is it so blue sky sky sky sky- PAIN

My KTM eats rears in the Washington rocks and hard pack at a hilarious rate and I hate changing tires so I'll usually ride them out till they are completely shredded; then I'll throw a new rear on and give it gas on some semi straight section of trail and it'll HOOK instead of SPIN and next thing I know I'm cleaning cedar bark out of my teeth. 450's rule.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 27, 2015

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I kinda figured that might be the case, that and everything around here is loose ontop of hardpack so there is no real chance to get traction. I'm going to take it up north in a week or two - I suspect that will be when I get to experience what you're talking about. :v:

cursedshitbox posted:

gently caress with the clickers first :v:

I think that is where I will start. Every PO ever decides to throw the clickers in random places.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
The first time you whiskey throttle it and it hooks up and wheelies, it's majestic.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Is the bike starting to snake when you're blasting through a soft surface at a good speed normal? :v:

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
When in doubt, throttle out. Also, the suspension might actually be okay depending on what you mean by "stiff." If you just mean stiffer than an enduro/dual sport then it might be alright, but if you mean your teeth are rattling constantly and you can feel every loose rock then it's probably too stiff.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I set the suspension to the manual specs, and honestly it wasn't far off. I did bleed the forks and one had just a little bit of air, whereas the other had a metric fuckton of air + spit a little fork oil out. Could be part of it. Probably just me being a pussy used to smooth roads. :)

I'm going to pull the valve cover this week and do a valve clearance check since that could contribute to it being hard to start. Also, is this a decent carb rebuild kit?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083VPPSK?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_2&smid=A9NJNMT9ZTSIP

The bike had 159hr on it when I bought it, now it has 163 - at least as far as the hour meter on it is concerned.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
The o-rings and the float needle might be okay but for less than $20 there's no way those jets are genuine Keihin. You're probably better off just buying gaskets/o-rings and a genuine float need/seat because the rest of your jets should be fine. If you want to be able to adjust your pilot circuit easily to sort out your hard start I'd recommend an R&D flex jet. Make sure you check to make sure your air filter isn't dirty as poo poo. I usually forget about the filters on my dirtbikes until they're nasty enough to make the bike idle funny.

http://www.amazon.com/Racing-Products-Flex-Jet-Remote-FLEX-TECH/dp/B005UGFIYC

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
jesus christ those parts are cheap. for my slant fcr it was ~110.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
It has a FCR39. I dunno why it would be cheaper.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

I've taken that motor apart many times. Standard feelers are too wide to measure, I had to cut mine. I now keep a spare 'Yamaha' set for my buddies.

Always had good luck with a JD jet kit on my YZ's.

Anyway, went DH MTB today. Sadly, I guess the lens had condensation. Vida anyway:

https://youtu.be/fS65myNhqK0

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

VTNewb posted:

I've taken that motor apart many times. Standard feelers are too wide to measure, I had to cut mine. I now keep a spare 'Yamaha' set for my buddies.

Always had good luck with a JD jet kit on my YZ's.

Anyway, went DH MTB today. Sadly, I guess the lens had condensation. Vida anyway:

https://youtu.be/fS65myNhqK0

Does cutting them distort the thickness at all? :psyduck:

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
Even worse on the YZ250f engines. You can find special narrow feelers online but I just bought a decent set and trimmed them down. You can use tin snips to get them close, and then just file the lip the snips leave. I have used mine daily at my shop for the past 4 years.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe

BlackMK4 posted:

It has a FCR39. I dunno why it would be cheaper.

Mine is a sudco FCR39. for that price its worth a gamble because dirtbike.

I chose to buy genuine with mine because I like to go place that if I have a carb issue, it could be life or death

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
These are awesome, not sure why there's two of each though.

http://www.amazon.com/Motion-Pro-08-0055-Feeler-Gauge/dp/B000GTZNYI

Yerok, have you ever had bad luck with aftermarket jets compared to oem (keihin/mikuni)? I've mainly been burned by the lack of them being labeled.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Our startup in West Africa finally landed a big contract gig; the worksite is 10 hours out into the bush, and our guys say it's notably faster by motorbike, so looks like we finally have the budget and motive to get me a motorbike. So hopefully in the next week or so I'll be getting a Yamaha AG100 or Suzuki TF125 and finally out riding again.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009

cursedshitbox posted:

jesus christ those parts are cheap. for my slant fcr it was ~110.

Those parts are cheap because all the jets are non-Keihin trash. (Also buying gaskets from Keihin is overpriced)

velocross posted:

Yerok, have you ever had bad luck with aftermarket jets compared to oem (keihin/mikuni)? I've mainly been burned by the lack of them being labeled.

An aftermarket 45 pilot can range from like a 42 to a 47.5 and still say 45. I've had nothing but trouble with non genuine jets.

Also everyone likes JD but I hate their needles. To each their own.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I'm assuming no one has ever checked the valves on this bike. It has 160ish hours per a meter on it and I pulled the valve cover since it's kinda hard to start.
Left to Right
Exhaust 1 - .08mm
Exhaust 2 - .09mm
Intake 1 - .03mm
Intake 2 - .05mm
Intake 3 - .09mm

Specs:
Exhaust - 0.20 - .25
Intake - .10 - .15

I'm assuming a new head is in this bikes future. I'm going to order a shim kit, shim it out, and watch the valves at +10hr and +20hr to see if they move. If this means it was significantly down on power then I'm gonna die. :getin:

Thoughts? Budget way of doing the valves without sending the head off?

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 1, 2015

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Shim it and run it. If it doesn't have a zero clearance chances are everything is fine.

DefaultPeanut
Nov 4, 2006
What's not to like?
^^ The 250 and 450 5 valve heads, and their valves are drat near indestructible. The first owner may have checked them the first few hours, but the movement is most likely from the rest of the hours on that that bike. If you end up doing a top end freshen up with new valves (OEM) you will need to have the seats cut to match the new valves. For the hard starting, see what jetting is in the carb. The pilot jet should be 48 stock - go to a 50, and set the a/f screw to 1 1/2 turns out and go from there. This should be pretty decent if you are within ~1500 feet of sea level. When you are starting, choke on, two full twists of the throttle, and leave it closed when kicking it over.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

DefaultPeanut posted:

^^ The 250 and 450 5 valve heads, and their valves are drat near indestructible. The first owner may have checked them the first few hours, but the movement is most likely from the rest of the hours on that that bike. If you end up doing a top end freshen up with new valves (OEM) you will need to have the seats cut to match the new valves. For the hard starting, see what jetting is in the carb. The pilot jet should be 48 stock - go to a 50, and set the a/f screw to 1 1/2 turns out and go from there. This should be pretty decent if you are within ~1500 feet of sea level. When you are starting, choke on, two full twists of the throttle, and leave it closed when kicking it over.

Default Peanut for president

I too say shim it and run it. When messing around with jetting keep in mind 4 strokes love gas, so you can err on larger jets (see also, every other aftermarket 4 stroke jet kit ever).

Lots of guys around here will start with a JD kit then back off to achieve a certain fuel tank/milage ratio for turkey runs or enduros.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Hrm, alright, I'll order a pilot jet, too. I ordered a complete carb rebuild kit - which should be here today - so I'll see where everything is at.
Ordered a Hot Cams shim kit last night, I wanted to find a local shop that carried them - and I did - but they are only open 9-5 and were unwilling to help me out even though I was willing to pay $15 more than every other shop. Ah well. Can't ride this weekend then.

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Prepare your various bodies:

http://vurbmoto.com/videos/red-bull-straight-rhythm-pre-show/25771/

FYI when supercross comes around I think we need a ~*new*~ thread just for fantasy supercross. RMMC's fantasy supercross was fairly lame, but others had a better version.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Maybe the sports forum would have interest. I know they follow F1.

What do you guys wear for hip protection? Ive high sided twice onto my hip now and it really hurts. Are padded shorts my only option?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

Been doing the NETRA endure series this year. Only a couple of them are serious time keeping affairs, like what's about to happen tomorrow.

I haven't really tried to actually keep time for a couple years, but now I'm 2 points behind the overall leader, so I think I should go for it.

Rollchart, new goggle lens, Walmart watch:

Biggest problem is its a Brand X rules endure, so for the rollchart to mean anything to me I need to mentally sum my scores from each check and add it to the times. Ugh.