Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilskillit
Jan 7, 2014

METAL TOADS
Ok sorry if this has already been asked but I didn't see anything posted yet.

Currently I'm on the Sprint Wireless Advantage Club plan (referred to as SWAC from here on out) and looking at getting an iPhone 6 64gb model. It looks like most places are saying that the lease or easy pay options actually save you money in the long run, but those are based on the regular plan monthly costs and discounts not SWAC. Also I'm not sure if they properly take into consideration the phone you're possibly giving back at the end of the lease. Also everyone recommends you get insurance if you lease since you don't own the phone and that adds something like another $150 a year to the total cost. So far I've had no problem using my phone for 2 years between upgrades. Smart phones age pretty well and I don't feel like I need a replacement after 12-18 months.

http://www.whistleout.com/CellPhones/Guides/sprint-lease-everything-you-need-to-know

Any ideas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So my fiance and I are each on individual SERO 500 plans, meaning we spend somewhere in the neighborhood of $70-80 a piece per month. Are we better off just getting on the same account and getting on a newer share plan? I tried crunching some numbers but I just want to make sure I'm thinking of all the pros and cons.

Here's what I came up with:

Pros:
Saving $$$
Only 1 bill
Can shop for phones anywhere instead of only corporate Sprint stores

Cons:
Losing unlimited data (not sure this matters, I haven't used more than 4GB like, ever)
???

I don't know, I guess I don't see the point of the SERO account anymore.

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

How do you spend over ~$55 each on SERO 500?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

the littlest prince posted:

How do you spend over ~$55 each on SERO 500?

My SERO 500 is ~$75/mo after taxes and TEP.

GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008

Wilford Cutlery posted:

There you go.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I got a Squaretrade insurance plan for my S4 and saved a bunch. It doesn't cover loss or theft though.

utonium
Dec 17, 2002
Less than 3 weeks away from the end of her contract, and last night my girlfriend dropped her iPhone 5C and spiderwebbed the screen. And we've been paying TEP on it this whole time.

So.

Yeah. :signings:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

I still don't get it. What's eating up so much for you?

With Sero 500 and TEP I only have a $64 bill each month after all the tax and fees. Do you have that new TEP Plus or something?

I couldn't live without Unlimited. I use over 20G month easily.

hrolfr
Aug 9, 2006
Do you think it comes in, like... cherry-gina?
When I do not actively use my phone for 20 seconds, I lose LTE + CDMA service that does not return.  It is as if the s6 network does not wake up from idle. The icon turns gray. Restarting and airplane mode fix it for 20 seconds.

Also, ~$75 / month.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

hrolfr posted:

When I do not actively use my phone for 20 seconds, I lose LTE + CDMA service that does not return.  It is as if the s6 network does not wake up from idle. The icon turns gray. Restarting and airplane mode fix it for 20 seconds.

I've been having a similar problem, but I have an old S4 that I figure might be having some antennae issues. I tried loading different radios to see if that would help, but I still have to flip to airplane mode to get a data connection back from time to time. It seems to happen more when I'm at the edge of a towers reach (1 bar).

I'll have a low LTE signal, it will try to switch to 3G and then the data connection indicator will go away until I airplane/unairplane.

If you are experiencing that from multiple Sprint tower locations, I'd take the phone in to have it looked at.

OptimusMatrix
Nov 13, 2003

ASK ME ABOUT MUTILATING MY PET TO SUIT MY OWN AESTHETIC PREFERENCES

moolchaba posted:

I've been having a similar problem, but I have an old S4 that I figure might be having some antennae issues. I tried loading different radios to see if that would help, but I still have to flip to airplane mode to get a data connection back from time to time. It seems to happen more when I'm at the edge of a towers reach (1 bar).

I'll have a low LTE signal, it will try to switch to 3G and then the data connection indicator will go away until I airplane/unairplane.

If you are experiencing that from multiple Sprint tower locations, I'd take the phone in to have it looked at.

Same thing with my Note 4

flickmaker
Jun 7, 2004

Coked out Artie.

EDIT: Nevermind it went thru!

flickmaker fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 23, 2015

Randul
May 31, 2003

hrolfr posted:

I have had something similar happen with my moto x pure. With wifi connected and lte or global selected, I won't receive calls or texts. The only workaround I've found on other forums with people experiencing the same issue is to switch network to 3g when connected to wifi then when not connected to wifi, switch it back to global or lte. It's frustrating and never was an issue with my old galaxy nexus.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
I moved from Sprint to T-mobile about a month ago. Sprint sent my my normal monthly bill a day or so after that, with a due date of the 1st of the month, also normal. I didn't pay it, because I thought I cancelled all my accounts, and when I got a payment reminder at the end of August I called customer finance to get my account cancelled, but the rep couldn't access my account (I couldn't remember my PIN, and my security question answer didn't work for some reason). I tried to update both the PIN and the question on my online sprint account, but all it would give me was errors.

Today, I get a notice saying if I don't pay in the next seven days, I'm being sent to collections. If I try to log into Sprint, I just get an error saying my account info needs to be updated and I can't get any further. I don't know if I have my account number written down anywhere, and I'll need to find that if I call in again, but I run up against the problem I had before of not knowing my PIN or being able to answer the security question.

I haven't stopped in to a Sprint store since I figured it wouldn't be much use, and I haven't called T-mobile and tried to work it through them.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

boxen posted:

I moved from Sprint to T-mobile about a month ago. Sprint sent my my normal monthly bill a day or so after that, with a due date of the 1st of the month, also normal. I didn't pay it, because I thought I cancelled all my accounts, and when I got a payment reminder at the end of August I called customer finance to get my account cancelled, but the rep couldn't access my account (I couldn't remember my PIN, and my security question answer didn't work for some reason). I tried to update both the PIN and the question on my online sprint account, but all it would give me was errors.

Today, I get a notice saying if I don't pay in the next seven days, I'm being sent to collections. If I try to log into Sprint, I just get an error saying my account info needs to be updated and I can't get any further. I don't know if I have my account number written down anywhere, and I'll need to find that if I call in again, but I run up against the problem I had before of not knowing my PIN or being able to answer the security question.

I haven't stopped in to a Sprint store since I figured it wouldn't be much use, and I haven't called T-mobile and tried to work it through them.

Does anyone have any experience with something like this?

Did you look at the bill to determine the service period for which they were charging you? It's very likely that the final bill was for the time before you cancelled.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

I ordered an LG G4. For my sero plan. They offered me a 7 inch tablet for free if I added a $10 data line. I thought you couldn't add lines to seei. I didn't do it, but it seemed like a good deal. Was it? Did I totally miss out?

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

EdEddnEddy posted:

I still don't get it. What's eating up so much for you?

With Sero 500 and TEP I only have a $64 bill each month after all the tax and fees. Do you have that new TEP Plus or something?

I couldn't live without Unlimited. I use over 20G month easily.

So this morning I dropped my phone on the sidewalk and murdered my screen. The phone still works - calls, texts, and touchscreen - but the upper left corner is a gouged mess and there are cracks all over like spiderwebs.

I have TEP, so I stopped by a Sprint store and asked what my options were: either call Asurion to get a replacement, for the cost of my deductible (probably $150 for my Nexus 5), or I'm apparently eligible for Early Upgrade.

What's the fine print for Early Upgrade? What will it cost me up front and long term? I'm on SERO 500 and would like to stick with it.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Also, I just found out about the Nexus 5X aka Nexus 5 2015. Anyone know if it will come to Sprint? I'm interested in maybe using an Early Upgrade for it, and I'm also hoping it will get WiFi Calling.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

Re: your canadian roaming charges -- you should add on 'sprint open world'. Unlimited calling and texting, plus 1gb data, in canada, mexico, and a few other countries, for $0.00/mo.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

WoG posted:

Re: your canadian roaming charges -- you should add on 'sprint open world'. Unlimited calling and texting, plus 1gb data, in canada, mexico, and a few other countries, for $0.00/mo.

Woah awesome, added.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Wilford Cutlery posted:

Also, I just found out about the Nexus 5X aka Nexus 5 2015. Anyone know if it will come to Sprint? I'm interested in maybe using an Early Upgrade for it, and I'm also hoping it will get WiFi Calling.

Probably early October. I'm excited.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

WoG posted:

Thanks for this tip. Should I be adding any of these other international options that are $0.00? They make it fairly confusing. I don't travel often to those places, but in case I do, $0 is a good price.

If you click "Sprint Global Roaming" it pops this up:

Does that mean it will overwrite the Sprint Open World add-on I just selected above?

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

iluvpr0n posted:

Thanks for this tip. Should I be adding any of these other international options that are $0.00? They make it fairly confusing. I don't travel often to those places, but in case I do, $0 is a good price.

Does that mean it will overwrite the Sprint Open World add-on I just selected above?

I have 'none' selected for the rest of those radio button lists (ie, no 'sprint global roaming'), and can verify that my phone roams onto Rogers in canada and works (text+data) with no problems. (OK, it's flaky within a couple miles of the border, while it's still desperately clinging to a sprint signal, but fine after it finally jumps to Rogers.)

Depending on your phone, it may have some roaming warnings/blocks buried in its settings that you'll want to disable.

e: I haven't traveled anywhere other than Canada, so consult a support rep before flying overseas.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I was looking on Sprint's website to see if there were any phones available that would offer a compelling upgrade to my Nexus 5 and discovered something unexpected. I chose a random phone, just to compare the payment options and found that while EasyPay and Lease were available re-upping for another 24 month contract was listed as 'Unavailable'.

I thought plans that got subsidies were supposed to be grandfathered in, is that not correct? I should note that I have the Everything Plus Family 1600 plan. Which, if I recall is an old EPRP plan.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Why is Sprint telling me that SERO isn't eligible for a GS6 even if I buy it outright?

edit: I'm sure that you guys will most likely tell me to call, but I've never had a problem upgrading/ordering SERO phones online before.
edit2: Checked sprintusers and apparently it's a common message. You can order the phone and it won't force you to change your plan. Weird.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 24, 2015

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

You might be going from a WiMAX phone to an LTE phone. They have separate but equivalent plans for each.

iluvpr0n
Oct 21, 2000

WoG posted:

I have 'none' selected for the rest of those radio button lists (ie, no 'sprint global roaming'), and can verify that my phone roams onto Rogers in canada and works (text+data) with no problems. (OK, it's flaky within a couple miles of the border, while it's still desperately clinging to a sprint signal, but fine after it finally jumps to Rogers.)

Thanks, we'll see!

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Thanks for mentioning that Open World add on. I am making plans to go to Costa Rica next month for 3-4 days and 1GB of data means I can post pictures to social networks and stuff like that while I am there.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

the littlest prince posted:

You might be going from a WiMAX phone to an LTE phone. They have separate but equivalent plans for each.
Nah. I'm using a EVO LTE and bought an iPhone 6 last year.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Did anyone buy a 6 or 6+ last year on launch day at a Sprint store? If so how was the line/stock?

I'm moderately worried my fiancé won't get her rose gold 6s tomorrow. I would've preordered but we're out of town right now so I have to just go to the closest Sprint Store (because SERO, ugh).

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Wilford Cutlery posted:

So this morning I dropped my phone on the sidewalk and murdered my screen. The phone still works - calls, texts, and touchscreen - but the upper left corner is a gouged mess and there are cracks all over like spiderwebs.

I have TEP, so I stopped by a Sprint store and asked what my options were: either call Asurion to get a replacement, for the cost of my deductible (probably $150 for my Nexus 5), or I'm apparently eligible for Early Upgrade.

What's the fine print for Early Upgrade? What will it cost me up front and long term? I'm on SERO 500 and would like to stick with it.

Jeez you're paying like :10bux: more just due to fees/surcharges. Ouch.

I just removed TEP from mine so I should be 10 less once it drops off my bill. :woop:

Also if you or anyone haven't already, always get a screen protector for your phone since that is 95% the item everyone breaks. A glass one from iCarez on amazon is like $8 and has that stock glass smooth feel and saves you a ton. (Phone slid off my desk to a tile floor face down and cracked the protector but didn't touch the screen at all.)

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
UPS came and left with my new iPhone today cause since sprint has restrictions on the package even having the delivery release through UPS doesn't help. Of course they delivery from Kentucky to New Jersey in one night but they can't bring it back again till Monday.

I was pretty annoyed as I was watching the tracking and ready to run down and get it. Angrily wrote a note to my building's maintenance person to add me to the loving intercom so they can call me.

I should have ordered the phone at a sprint store like a did a couple years ago. So much less hassle to just go pick it up there than deal with these idiot UPS drivers.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
For those of you encountering the data connection drop issue with an Android phone that is running kitkat 4.4 or higher. I got tired of having to pull down the notification bar to airplane and then unairplane to get my data signal back, but none of the airplane mode widgets worked anymore since Android 4.3.

I found an app that let's you make the widget. Install Power Toggles from the play store. Add the airplane mode option to the toggle bar widget (I removed all the other buttons so it's a 1x1 button) and then you can click it right from the home screen.

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away
Ok, when is Sprint getting VoLTE so I can talk and surf without WiFi? I'm getting tired of my GS4 but don't want to lost this feature. Will the new Nexus do this?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

My line is eligible for a phone upgrade, but the prices on Sprint's website are :catdrugs:. I remember I used to be able to get upgrades through Amazon / Newegg / where ever, but I can't seem to find the portal I used for that. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Mahoning posted:

Did anyone buy a 6 or 6+ last year on launch day at a Sprint store? If so how was the line/stock?

I'm moderately worried my fiancé won't get her rose gold 6s tomorrow. I would've preordered but we're out of town right now so I have to just go to the closest Sprint Store (because SERO, ugh).

How'd this work out for you?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Wizard of Smart posted:

How'd this work out for you?

No issue getting phones, as there were only 4 other ppl in line when it opened.

No 16GB rose golds in stock though so my fiancé had to get a gold one. Also, the sprint system hosed up and I had to come back 2 hours later.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Mahoning posted:

No issue getting phones, as there were only 4 other ppl in line when it opened.

No 16GB rose golds in stock though so my fiancé had to get a gold one. Also, the sprint system hosed up and I had to come back 2 hours later.

It was down for about 2.5, 3 hours nationwide.

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007

thisdude23 posted:

Ok, when is Sprint getting VoLTE so I can talk and surf without WiFi? I'm getting tired of my GS4 but don't want to lost this feature. Will the new Nexus do this?

Nothing has been announced for sure, there's no timeline. There was an article I read where it was speculated that we might start seeing some towers offer this by the end of this year.

I'm nursing my S4 along so I can do calls and data concurrently as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thisdude23
Jul 10, 2001

So take me back, back to better days
Cause this time between is wasting me away

moolchaba posted:

Nothing has been announced for sure, there's no timeline. There was an article I read where it was speculated that we might start seeing some towers offer this by the end of this year.

I'm nursing my S4 along so I can do calls and data concurrently as well.

Cool. Are you running a stock rom out something different? Like I said, mine is getting sluggish and I want it to run a bit better.