Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
scuz
Aug 29, 2003

You can't be angry ALL the time!

Fun Shoe
L.A. Confidential is one of those movies I never appreciated a few years ago, but upon re-watching, the movie is solid. So many awesome movie-moments ("THINK, GODDAMN YOU!") and great acting, but the cars. Holy poo poo, the cars. Who gets the job of finding and restoring all of those Studebakers and Cadillacs? I WANT THAT JOB.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah the scene where Bud White (Russell Crowe) gets so mad at a guy in questioning that he snaps the back of a chair off still gives me chills.

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Are we still doing laptop chat? I have a late 2006 black macbook that's my wife's and I have a 2008 macbook pro. I dunno why these things last so long, but I have no intention of replacing either of them anytime soon.

My house is going to be torn apart on Friday and tile's gonna be put in. I have the pile-o-tile in the kitchen and everything. All the cattes are taking turns being tilepile kings.

Monday's my birthday and I get Mad Max: Fury Road!!!! WITNESS!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Yeah all of my Mac Laptops have been stupidly long lived and resiliant as hell. I had a white 06 Macbook thats still going strong two batteries, two case tops and a set of heavily tweaked hinges later, a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro that got such a belting driving around the bush in 4wds at fires that one of the ram slots has seperated off the motherboard, so its only running single channel ram and has a bend in the chassis that puts one side of the ethernet port about 1.5mm higher than the other side and it still works, and my current last of the non retina Macbook Pro inhaled a tonne of sand on our last big 4wd trip (using it to dump photos too) and after a strip apart and blow out with an airgun is stil going strong.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I have a bunch of ancient laptops from the 90s and 80s that still work.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Goonight sweet prince Nexus 5, it was a sweet sweet 3 months~~~~

Good thing the new 5 is coming out in a few weeks. And I can finally tell ATT to gently caress right off and move to project FI!

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
I have a couple old Mac TiBooks that can still run the forums and do general computer stuff pretty well. Really need to finish fixing up the GHZ model (god damned hinges :argh: ) just to have a fuckaround laptop in case my main one dies.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
Seriously, just buy cheap refurbs off Woot. Decent last-gen stuff shows up weekly. I have a like new ThinkPad from there that is my beater 'going someplace' laptop, and it cost me all of a hundred fifty.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Ferremit posted:

Yeah all of my Mac Laptops have been stupidly long lived and resiliant as hell. I had a white 06 Macbook thats still going strong two batteries, two case tops and a set of heavily tweaked hinges later, a Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro that got such a belting driving around the bush in 4wds at fires that one of the ram slots has seperated off the motherboard, so its only running single channel ram and has a bend in the chassis that puts one side of the ethernet port about 1.5mm higher than the other side and it still works, and my current last of the non retina Macbook Pro inhaled a tonne of sand on our last big 4wd trip (using it to dump photos too) and after a strip apart and blow out with an airgun is stil going strong.

My wife and I have had the same experience. Desktop? For sure I'm building a Windows/Linux box. Laptop? I'm buying a Mac no questions asked (other than how much is the student discount on a refurb?). My 2009 MBP just bit the dust but my wife's MacBook from 2008 is still going strong.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

El Jebus posted:

My wife and I have had the same experience. Desktop? For sure I'm building a Windows/Linux box. Laptop? I'm buying a Mac no questions asked (other than how much is the student discount on a refurb?). My 2009 MBP just bit the dust but my wife's MacBook from 2008 is still going strong.

There's no student discount on refurbs afaik, in fact I think my discount on refurbs isn't that great

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation

Tusen Takk posted:

There's no student discount on refurbs afaik, in fact I think my discount on refurbs isn't that great

When I bought my mbp it was an extra $50-100 depending, but that was 5 years ago.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
My brother just picked up a display model from Staples when he was here, some high specced thing that was $1400 and after Slickdeals and rebates it was $350.

Meanwhile I have dreams of running an XP laptop.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

SuperDucky posted:

Goonight sweet prince Nexus 5, it was a sweet sweet 3 months~~~~

Good thing the new 5 is coming out in a few weeks. And I can finally tell ATT to gently caress right off and move to project FI!

I got my project Fi invite finally and with the last few months, my bill would be significantly more with them :(

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
I'm about to switch my number away from gvoice, the benefits aren't worth the annoyances. No real interest rate N project fi at this point

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Terrible Robot posted:

I have a couple old Mac TiBooks that can still run the forums and do general computer stuff pretty well. Really need to finish fixing up the GHZ model (god damned hinges :argh: ) just to have a fuckaround laptop in case my main one dies.

Man I'd love to have a Ti Book.

I've got the second to last model of PowerBook G4 sitting in my linen closet at home. Still works, the bottom third of the screen likes to play up on it. Fixed it by shoving a bit of a business card between the bezel and the screen.

Just finished building up a new old file server at home using a 2009 Mac Pro over the weekend

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Man, that guy with the Saab 95 texted me back and said that he would take 500.

I am pretty sure its a blown turbo - As soon as it tries to make boost, it acts like a clogged cat and miss fires and makes a big smoke show - kind of a white blue smoke. I am tempted to buy it and rebuild the turbo - there is turbo cartridges for sale on rock auto. I assume that its pretty strait forward - take out the old turbo, split it apart, put poo poo back together, put back on car. The cartridge is only 250ish vs 400 for the assembly.

I am semi-tempted to buy it do the turbo then unload it quick. But the other part of me says that it could be a giant money pit lurking. I know its just the 3.0t which has the asymmetrical turbo on it, which isn't super desired.

But the bigger question is unloading it after I do the work. Saab is dead, most consumers know that, so its going to be a bit of a challenge to move it, especially being in middle the gently caress of the midwest.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I dunno, when I flip cars I like to play it safe and stick with Asian cars, almost a guaranteed sale. I would never gently caress with any Euro cars to flip imo.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

leica posted:

Yeah I dunno, when I flip cars I like to play it safe and stick with Asian cars, almost a guaranteed sale. I would never gently caress with any Euro cars to flip imo.

yeah, decided to just stay away. Still getting that vibe, you know what I mean?

The only thing I would bother flipping is BMW - I know them well enough to know what poo poo will explode and what wont, and what to look for. Or GM bullshit. Cheap parts, cheap cars, doesn't take a whole lot of work to move them. Trucks are pretty easy to move as well, every one is always looking for a good work truck.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007

BrokenKnucklez posted:

yeah, decided to just stay away. Still getting that vibe, you know what I mean?

Even Viggen wouldn't touch a V6 9-5. Do with that information what you will. :v:

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Thanks for the recommendations on stuff to do in Monterey. The aquarium does in fact own, Coco's makes good brunch and there's some nice beaches down HIghway 1 a ways. Nice way to spend a Sunday. Sitting in traffic on the way back with a ton of beautiful Porsches driving back from the Rennsport thing was pretty nice too.

Festival last night, Beyond Wonderland, was absolutely amazing. Holy poo poo I need to go to more festivals. Highlight of the night was definitely Flux Pavilion.

On laptop chat we bought Mom a factory refurb Lenovo a year or two ago and it's been working great. Think it was around $400 at max. My brother had a chromebook for a while that he loved until it was stolen, good for real basic stuff.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

There's nothing quite as satisfying as stopping for a red light... then watching a motorcycle in the next lane blowing through it doing at least 60-80 (it'd been red for a couple of seconds, in a 45), slamming on his brakes in the middle of the intersection when he sees the oncoming car from his left, and you can almost smell him poo poo himself before he guns it out of the intersection.

The oncoming car? :cop: At least the guy on the bike was smart enough to know he can't outrun Motorola. :cop: almost t-boned him, since :cop: had a green light long enough that he'd entered the intersection already. I don't think motorcycle vs Suburban would end very well for one of the people involved.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Is there a good DIY/home repair thread somewhere? I just know of the home buying thread in BFC

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

DIY/Hobbies is a whole subforum of Creative Convention, there's enough threads I'm sure you'll find what you need.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Make sure you find the Grover thread, he's a pretty handy guy and did some amazing work to his house.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Rhyno posted:

Make sure you find the Grover thread, he's a pretty handy guy and did some amazing work to his house.

Did you know drywall can be load bearing? I didn't. Apparently the only prerequisite is that you build your house on a garage-depth foundation with no footers in the middle of a swamp.

Groverhaus

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Also like 50 outlets per 15A circuit, gotta be able to optimize the room layout to the inch with no extension cords.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Don't forget all the money he saved by insulating his stairs

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

is that thread archived/accessible somewhere? i need some schadenfreude and it's been a while

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

I gotta give Anker some props. Maybe not on all of products, but on customer service.

I bought a 10,000 mAh battery pack from them for Warped Tour, since I knew my phone wouldn't last all day. I've been using it pretty regularly since then, since I'm very often away from a source of power.

Well, it started refusing to charge any devices (the LEDs would just strobe anytime I plugged anything in), and if I plugged it in to charge, it would rapidly show 0 to 100% (within about 30 seconds) and start making a burning smell.

Emailed them. They asked if I tried a 2 amp charger - I had, but I tried again, drat thing started smoking, so I left it outside. Let them know what happened. They offered to replace any damaged devices, send another battery of my choice, and on top of that, did a full refund. :stare: They did want the original battery back, but seeing as it was smoking (.. and didn't stop once unplugged, and it was full of lithium ion batteryes), I talked to the fire department, and they suggested they (FD) handle disposal.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it got severely overheated at some point, since it always lived either in my pocket while outside (since I did buy it for Warped Tour, where it was well over 100 in the shade), or in my car, and that probably damaged the batteries (it was starting to swell up). I did open it up once it died, and the batteries were definitely bulging a bit (but it was nice to see two 5,000 mAh batteries in parallel, with some surprisingly heavy gauge wiring, so it lived up to its 10,000 mAh rating at least in pure battery capacity).

I didn't take them up on the free battery, but I used the refund to buy a newer version with the same capacity that supports Qualcomm quick charging (which my current phone supports - I picked up a rapid car charger for it the other day, and watched it go from 25% to almost full in less than 40 minutes today :stare: ).

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Sep 28, 2015

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ooooh speaking of phonechat.

What's the best Android phone I can get through T-Mobile right now? The lady is going to but me a new phone for Christmas but only if she can toss it on the T-Mo bill in installments.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

They'll likely have the upcoming 2015 Nexus 5. Or just finance the newest Moto X Pure directly from Motorola (starts at $400, unlocked, direct from Motorola and built to order). Yes, Motorola offers their own financing.

I have the 2014 version of the Moto X Pure and I've been nothing but happy with it (once Amazon got me the right phone anyway), it's by far my favorite phone to date. The 2015 is a bit larger. It's essentially stock Android with some very nice Motorola enhancements; first phone that I've not felt the need to put a third party ROM on, and I hear the 2015 is even better.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Sep 28, 2015

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

You Am I posted:

Just finished building up a new old file server at home using a 2009 Mac Pro over the weekend

A 2006 Mac Pro runs our house as a server- 4x4TB HD's, upgraded the stock dual core 2.66 xeons to quad core 2.66's, stuck another 16Gb of ram in with the two gb it came with and it's perfectly useful- got it running plex to supply the entire house and sickrage to keep plex fed and it's got VMware fusion on it running PFsense that's taking a feed in from the main network, re-routing it into a new DHCP and a VPN to Los Angeles and then sticks it out the 2nd network port to the TV so we can get US Netflix.

I'm pretty happy with it. My mate has worked out that with remote access to it, it's faster to download a TV show on my NBN connection then Stream it with plex to his house than download it over his ADSL 2 line.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Before you buy a moto X cross-shop the moto G, then decide if it's worth the extra. It's the default phone unless you want something special.

Massive robot project at work got canned, I was told to keep the folder in case the money came back. :(
Then they threw me a logistics problem, the best solution for which is massive automation. I put a strategy together in a couple of days and presented it Friday. Lots of enthusiasm and I was told to run with it. Sounding familiar... It'd be nice to see some of these projects go somewhere one day.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Geirskogul posted:

Did you know drywall can be load bearing? I didn't. Apparently the only prerequisite is that you build your house on a garage-depth foundation with no footers in the middle of a swamp.

Groverhaus

Do not become addicted to load bearing properties of dry wall...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The first few pages of the PYF goonluls thread had the link for the thread iirc

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

It's my birthday! :toot: Wifey came through with Fury Road and a Deutschland cycling jersey. Also, someone's getting laid tonight :gizz:. 34 seems like I'm getting up into the 'respectable' age.

Beverly Cleavage
Jun 22, 2004

I am a pretty pretty princess, watch me do my pretty princess dance....

BloodBag posted:

It's my birthday! :toot: Wifey came through with Fury Road and a Deutschland cycling jersey. Also, someone's getting laid tonight :gizz:. 34 seems like I'm getting up into the 'respectable' age.

You're still a child. :colbert:

(I just hit 35 end of July)

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
34 years old and bragging about having sex on the internet smh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

the company i'm interning for rn has dev positions available

... if you wish to write javascript or C++ :negative: