Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So DX11 is back to super-boned for me, I got triangle mesh patterns on asteroids and weird lighting problems. That the same for everyone else, or should I look at updating my ~6 month old drivers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
No harm updating the drivers either way

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Never not update drivers if you have a problem.

*Updates 3 year out of date drivers*

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Couple more hotfixes dropped;

quote:

Update 01.101.028
- fixed black stone

Update 01.101.029 - enabled classes in ModApi
- enabled MyResourceSinkComponent
- enabled MyResourceSourceComponentBase
- enabled MyResourceSinkInfo in modapi

Poison Mushroom posted:

As someone who hasn't played SE in a while, but heard about AI enemies and wants to get back into it, what should I know?

Space Pirates spawn at bases (and now, a carrier) that you can find while traveling (a jump drive will help with this). The Bases will spawn Drones around them in a variety of types that will make their way towards player craft within 20km of them and attack. The Carrier will make it's own way towards you and yours while spawning drones.

Pirate Bases are recognizable by a beacon displaying the words "NO TRESSPASSING".

Also, the Configurable LCD script was fixed :peanut:.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I just checked out the improved autopilot.

It ploughed me straight in to an asteroid at extreme speed.

1/10.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
There's a check box called "avoid collisions" on the remote block's control panel.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
This week's FUN bug is.... :rolldice:

Your spacesuit rapidly drains O2 and Energy much, much faster than it should be! :confuoot:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Splode posted:

I just checked out the improved autopilot.

It ploughed me straight in to an asteroid at extreme speed.

1/10.
I think you mean 11/10.

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This week's FUN bug is.... :rolldice:

Your spacesuit rapidly drains O2 and Energy much, much faster than it should be! :confuoot:

Yeah I dunno,I found if you put your helmet on your energy goes to 0% instantly. I think taking off the helmet acts the same way, but at least you don't suffocate now. I found the trick is to put the helmet on then get in a seat instantly, it usually cures the energy drain.

Kinda sucks when I was switching from creative to survival and I was outside my ship using my jet pack, which caused me to go flying off into the void.

I also made a new ship in anticipation of planets. The door isn't designed for that at all, but hey.

It's about half the size of the red ship, but weighs 50% more, its a sturdy little ship. I've got the alpha shield generator mod and that has been letting me knock over pirate forts a lot easier now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BillyJoeBob posted:

Yeah I dunno,I found if you put your helmet on your energy goes to 0% instantly. I think taking off the helmet acts the same way, but at least you don't suffocate now. I found the trick is to put the helmet on then get in a seat instantly, it usually cures the energy drain.

Kinda sucks when I was switching from creative to survival and I was outside my ship using my jet pack, which caused me to go flying off into the void.

I also made a new ship in anticipation of planets. The door isn't designed for that at all, but hey.

It's about half the size of the red ship, but weighs 50% more, its a sturdy little ship. I've got the alpha shield generator mod and that has been letting me knock over pirate forts a lot easier now.

I've gone from a full suit charge to near-drained just by flying away from my ship for about 2-300 meters, so something weird is going on there.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Space Pirates spawn at bases (and now, a carrier) that you can find while traveling (a jump drive will help with this). The Bases will spawn Drones around them in a variety of types that will make their way towards player craft within 20km of them and attack. The Carrier will make it's own way towards you and yours while spawning drones.

Pirate Bases are recognizable by a beacon displaying the words "NO TRESSPASSING".
Can I do this in creative and just place a spacshoots game with custom ships, or do I have to be legit and mine them myself?

And how do jump drives work?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Can I do this in creative and just place a spacshoots game with custom ships, or do I have to be legit and mine them myself?

And how do jump drives work?

I'm guessing you mean find them, and yeah you gotta go hunting.

Jump Drives have two methods; Blind Jump and a set destination. A Blind Jump is just that, and works based on the power set. Full power will send you hurtling off in a straight line as far as the drive can manage (more drives == longer distance). Lowering the power will lower the distance (The absolute minimum being 5km) and reduce the amount of charge drained from the Drive (eg; 15% power used will only deplete it to 85% charged). The other option is to set a GPS point as your destination. This will pop you out either at or within 1km of it depending on if you would collide with something there.

To actually execute a Jump, you need to drag a Jump Drive to your hotbar and set the action as "Jump" (an actual Block, not a Group). Then just mash the respective button on your keyboard and hit Yes on the warning pop-up.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Sorry, I had a dumb. I meant can I make my pirate wrecker on Creative or do I have to play in a mode where I build my ships the legit way? (I know blueprints exist but that's still a lot of time spent playing The Boring Parts Of EVE.)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

Sorry, I had a dumb. I meant can I make my pirate wrecker on Creative or do I have to play in a mode where I build my ships the legit way? (I know blueprints exist but that's still a lot of time spent playing The Boring Parts Of EVE.)

Oh yeah, build a ship in Creative, drop it in a world, swap to Survival (or just go cruising in Creative) and have at it. So long as Encounters are turned on in Advanced Settings you're good to go for pirate hunting. I've plugged three bases so far with my battleship. It never gets old watching a drone approach just to get vaporized.

The damage to the ship is mostly friendly-fire and a little bit of meteor impact. The version I'm cruising around in doesn't have the shield generators the one getting fiddled with in a Creative Mode world does.

On a side-note, I really hope they add a way to dial up the quantity of drone attacks. Or go big with Battleship encounters to go with the new Carrier.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Sep 26, 2015

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Verizian posted:

There's a check box called "avoid collisions" on the remote block's control panel.

Yeah, found it. Which comedian thought it'd be a good idea to have this off by default?

Sorus
Nov 6, 2007
caustic overtones
Collision avoidance gives objects a wide, wide berth so if you're doing some precision autopilot stuff (like auto docking) it won't work. Someone would bitch regardless of the default setting.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splode posted:

Yeah, found it. Which comedian thought it'd be a good idea to have this off by default?
Probably the guy who is anticipating complaints about poor performance from the sperg who builds a whole fleet of autonomous swarm drones all using collision detection autopiloting. Or maybe the guy who tested it and found that there are still plenty of situations where the collision detection might stop a ship before it crashes, but there are still lots of times where it can't figure out how to circle around an object on its own.

Or maybe an actual comedian, because watching other people's ships run smack into asteroids is funny.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Pirates make the lone survivor start pretty terrifying. I just had to flee my base when the raiders appeared on the radar. They're now chasing me around as I do a quick bit of mining (I don't have any weapons at all yet, let alone enough to fight a pirate vessel).

I've had some situations where the autopilot has gotten confused with collision detection on, but for the most part it's pretty good. The timing on these features was very clever. Autopilot means it's easier to go afk, but pirates mean you have to pay attention because you could be attacked at any moment. Less grind without reducing player participation.

For people who are fighting the pirates, how heavily armed are they?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Splode posted:

For people who are fighting the pirates, how heavily armed are they?

The smaller bases have two gatling turrets, the bigger ones have four. I suspect there's a version out there somewhere with missile turrets. The Drones aren't all that heavily-armed, the attack variant I've seen is just a single nose-mounted Gatling Turret with light armor. That'll probably change as KSH adds more stuff to it though.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The smaller bases have two gatling turrets, the bigger ones have four. I suspect there's a version out there somewhere with missile turrets. The Drones aren't all that heavily-armed, the attack variant I've seen is just a single nose-mounted Gatling Turret with light armor. That'll probably change as KSH adds more stuff to it though.

Oh good, I should be able to fight that off

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I tried to play SE, but my game chugged to a ridiculous degree even just in the default Easy Start 1. My settings aren't super high, but I was using up all my ram just standing around. Is there some "trap" graphics setting that might be glomphing my GPU or something?

Edit I'd just open the menu and gently caress around, but the lag is so bad, I can't even get the menu open.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Poison Mushroom posted:

I tried to play SE, but my game chugged to a ridiculous degree even just in the default Easy Start 1. My settings aren't super high, but I was using up all my ram just standing around. Is there some "trap" graphics setting that might be glomphing my GPU or something?

Edit I'd just open the menu and gently caress around, but the lag is so bad, I can't even get the menu open.

Looking at the bug forum, apparently there's a big performance drop with the last hotfix for some people. Are you running DX9 or DX11?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

DX9. I'll try DX11, and if it still chugs, wait for the next hotfix.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Starting to think I should add a section to the OP with a general status of the game for the week. Something like;

quote:

This week Space Engineers is: Stable! :yayclod:

or

This week Space Engineers is: Buggy as poo poo :pseudo:

Fun Bugs for the week;
  • FPS drop
  • Space suits draining O2/Energy way too fast

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That would be super loving useful and stop so many "is it just me?" questions.

Spookydonut
Sep 13, 2010

"Hello alien thoughtbeasts! We murder children!"
~our children?~
"Not recently, no!"
~we cool bro~
If you load a save where you were in a small ship cockpit, and exit the cockpit inside a gravity field, your jetpack always defaults to off and you fall. This didn't use to happen.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
Is it possible to start a game of this and then add mods when I'm more used to playing, or what that require starting over again with mods?

Variable Haircut
Jan 25, 2012

Jackson Taus posted:

Is it possible to start a game of this and then add mods when I'm more used to playing, or what that require starting over again with mods?

You do not need to start a new game if you want to add mods. When you are in the load game menu, there is an option on the left to Edit Settings. In there you can add and remove mods, change between survival and creative, and edit other variables of the world.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Not only can you add mods to an in-progress game, for the most part you can remove them as well. Skyboxes are completely exchangeable, and block mods are handled gracefully most of the time. The game just deletes them and loads everything with holes where the mod blocks were.

If the world or blueprint you're loading is really heavy on mods it can leave you with swiss cheese, but more restrained examples are pretty functional. I don't give a poo poo about toilet mods (heh), so I quite appreciate this. That also works in reverse: if you have a blueprint saved with mod x but you're playing on a server that doesn't use x, you can still load the blueprint minus the mod parts.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So is the survival start where you just have the yellow ship like a race to get oxygen generation before you die? Because it seems kinda tight. And by tight I mean it seems like a really hard deadline.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Jackson Taus posted:

So is the survival start where you just have the yellow ship like a race to get oxygen generation before you die? Because it seems kinda tight. And by tight I mean it seems like a really hard deadline.

Check the shiny new buglist in the OP :v:. But yeah, there is some weird massive drain on O2 and suit energy since the last patch.

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check the shiny new buglist in the OP :v:. But yeah, there is some weird massive drain on O2 and suit energy since the last patch.

Yeah I saw that. My complaint was the lack of an oxygen generator on the starter ship, but I was mistaken - it's actually there, it's just not hooked into the conveyors.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Nice. You should add that in a quote that or something, so it pops out better from the rest of the post.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

HardDisk posted:

Nice. You should add that in a quote that or something, so it pops out better from the rest of the post.

I did consider doing that, I might change it later.

edit: Placed it in a quote bubble, and added last-week's status as well just to better convey that bugs aren't a constant thing.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Sep 28, 2015

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Jackson Taus posted:

I had this exact problem last night.

I couldn't find some resources required to build the Vent, and couldn't seem to find one on the starter ship, so I slowly suffocated while madly grinding and mining in an attempt to live. :(

I wanted to sit down and learn the new systems, and instead got learned myself.

Verizian posted:

When your suit O2 drops to <30% it'll refill from the bottle
I had no idea that was how this worked. I was trying to manually refill my suit from it, or by using the Medbay while I had it in my inventory. Thank you, you have saved me!

McGiggins fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 29, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Just take one of the oxygen bottles out of the generator built into the respawn ship. When your suit O2 drops to <30% it'll refill from the bottle. Though it does seem this patch is draining oxy/energy really fast.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The Active Radar mod got updated and apparently now actually keeps the ping on the lcd instead of blinking :peanut:.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
If you want you can open characters.sbc in a text editor and find OxygenConsumption to edit it to a lower value. if you don't play online just save it there, or you can make it a mod

Jackson Taus
Oct 19, 2011
So is there some secret to finding silver? It's the only metal I haven't found yet and I've looked all over for it.

Bonus: I found some sort of abandoned antenna platform with refineries and furnaces and stuff - free starter base!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Jackson Taus posted:

So is there some secret to finding silver? It's the only metal I haven't found yet and I've looked all over for it.

Bonus: I found some sort of abandoned antenna platform with refineries and furnaces and stuff - free starter base!

Sometimes the RNG just likes putting certain ores in difficult-to-reach spots. Also, the ore scanner on your drill has a very, very short range - chances are there's a deposit on an asteroid you've explored but it was just hidden underneath stone or other ores. Build a surveyor ship with an ore detector - preferably a large one, that'll spot deposits from within 150M.

(Assuming Keen hasn't broken them again, sometimes it fails to show deposits that are -right there-...)

Drake_263 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Sep 29, 2015

• Locked thread