Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

mcvey posted:

Negative

My skill does.

It also degrades game to game. Round to round really. Shot to shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
Wow that Medusa is pretty lucky. I've never got that nice of a skin even from opening cases. Hell I got a stat trak FAMAS z survivor from the new cases and felt like I won the lottery.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

According to a thing I read once, rank in CSGO is affected on a round by round basis, where each side has a probability of winning the round based on rankings. So if you win 16 rounds and your team is 60% favored to win against the 40% team that wins 14 rounds, you can still end up losing points overall? And if the other team has a bot you lose more points for losing a 4v5.

Jellidelic
Nov 28, 2011

my bony fealty posted:

According to a thing I read once, rank in CSGO is affected on a round by round basis, where each side has a probability of winning the round based on rankings. So if you win 16 rounds and your team is 60% favored to win against the 40% team that wins 14 rounds, you can still end up losing points overall? And if the other team has a bot you lose more points for losing a 4v5.

I really hope that's not how they do it. Knowing that my rank is taking a hit every time I sacrifice a round for the good of the match kinda sucks.

V: i wish they would just do the dota thing with an 'unranked' mm that works off an invisible mmr, and then a ranked one that just has a simple number that goes up or down after every match.

Jellidelic fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 27, 2015

stump collector
May 28, 2007
No one really knows how rank is determined from what i have seen

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

exethan posted:

Not even Volvo

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

exethan posted:

It's done on a round by round basis and getting MVP for that round means even more points towards upgrading. So yeah you if you can mvp a few rounds every match you still can rank up even if you do nothing but lose. I read something written by valve about the whole thing a few months ago but I cannot locate it anywhere

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

symbolic posted:

:captainpop:

Congrats, man. What condition? That looks at least low float field-tested.

It's Min Wear. I'm not sure if I want to hold on to it in hopes that it's value well inflate like the Dragon Lore's did, or just trade it and my knife for a better knife.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Unbound posted:

It's Min Wear. I'm not sure if I want to hold on to it in hopes that it's value well inflate like the Dragon Lore's did, or just trade it and my knife for a better knife.
Depends on if Valve keeps the Bloodhound collections for the next operation. Either way it'll still be pretty expensive.

Also MW Medusa is around $600, so you're looking at ST FN M9 Fade level from that alone.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
absolutely noone knows how the rank works because valve does not want people knowing so all info on the net is based on hear say and community experiments that show some trends but no conclusive proof so when someone tells you how the ranking system works dont listen to them except me cause i know its determined by how many shots you make after you already killed the enemy less shots = higher rank

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

symbolic posted:

Depends on if Valve keeps the Bloodhound collections for the next operation. Either way it'll still be pretty expensive.

Also MW Medusa is around $600, so you're looking at ST FN M9 Fade level from that alone.

I'm not to good with prices, how much, if anything, would I have to add to get a Stat Karambit Dopler? As close to FN as possible.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Your rank is determined by how low your resolution and sensitivity is, how big your mouse pad is, and most importantly, which gaming chair you use.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Unbound posted:

I'm not to good with prices, how much, if anything, would I have to add to get a Stat Karambit Dopler? As close to FN as possible.
I hate dealing with Doppler because the 4 Phases and Sapphire/Ruby/Black Pearl variants mean that the price of a ST FN Doppler is anywhere from a little over $600 to over $3000. I guess just look around csgolounge and find trades with low item B/Os.

That being said, I do own a Phase 3 M9 Doppler myself. A price check on this would be nice since I paid around $375 in skins for this.

symbolic fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Sep 28, 2015

wuat
Jul 12, 2009

Unbound posted:

it depends on how nice you want it, st karam dopplers are anywhere between 460 and 3500 on opskins, with the high end being ruby/sapphire
it's hard to judge the price of dopplers because of the different phases they come in

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
Does captain invictus do prove checks or does he just do the brokering

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The gently caress are you guys even talking about. Phases?

I thought this game was about clicking heads

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
Just so I know I'm not taking crazy pills: All of these cases and weapon drops and stuff are purely cosmetic, right? As in, if I don't care about cosmetics, I can/should just immediately sell 'em, right? I mean, I might not because I like pretties (albeit not enough to pay money for them) but I just want to be reassured that I have this right.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Mukaikubo posted:

Just so I know I'm not taking crazy pills: All of these cases and weapon drops and stuff are purely cosmetic, right? As in, if I don't care about cosmetics, I can/should just immediately sell 'em, right? I mean, I might not because I like pretties (albeit not enough to pay money for them) but I just want to be reassured that I have this right.

yes

Unbound
Dec 11, 2012

Atlantis for best map

All others are bugged...

symbolic posted:

I hate dealing with Doppler because the 4 Phases and Sapphire/Ruby/Black Pearl variants mean that the price of a ST FN Doppler is anywhere from a little over $600 to over $3000. I guess just look around csgolounge and find trades with low item B/Os.

That being said, I do own a Phase 3 M9 Doppler myself. A price check on this would be nice since I paid around $375 in skins for this.

I don't even know what these phases are, I am assuming different patterns on the blade. This being said, which phase would I be looking for when looking at ST FN Dopler Karambits?

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mukaikubo posted:

Even if you like pretties, sell the cases. The EV is very negative. You can get nice skins for way cheaper than a key, and you're likely to turn your $1.50 into $0.03 if you buy a key.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Unbound posted:

I don't even know what these phases are, I am assuming different patterns on the blade. This being said, which phase would I be looking for when looking at ST FN Dopler Karambits?

http://imgur.com/a/gON30

This will help you a lot. Depends on what you WANT. Prices vary a lot with the normal dopplers, and with ST it's even more so.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Mukaikubo posted:

I sold my FT Case Hardened M9 for a few hundred dollars some months ago and I won't have to buy games on Steam with real money for a long, long time.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Enkmar posted:

It's done on a round by round basis and getting MVP for that round means even more points towards upgrading. So yeah you if you can mvp a few rounds every match you still can rank up even if you do nothing but lose. I read something written by valve about the whole thing a few months ago but I cannot locate it anywhere

you cant find it because the only thing valve has written about ranking is this https://www.reddit.com/r/GlobalOffensive/comments/2g3r4c/the_ultimate_guide_to_csgo_ranking/ckfhfir

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

I thought it was on the counter strike blog! but maybe I just smoked way too much weed that night

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Enkmar posted:

I thought it was on the counter strike blog! but maybe I just smoked way too much weed that night

your thinking of this famously wrong guide that people believe because it has nice formatting https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=312582297

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
If you claim to know all of this, why is your own rank so low (GNMMG)?
1) This isn't my first and only account. My real skill would be around MG2 (but not higher)
2) Does knowing how Elo works make you better at chess?
3) My internet is absolutely one of the worst in the world, a lot of lag, a lot of dc and a lot of bans. I normally have a ping of around 150ms and a Loss of 8%.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i've finally found it...the formula that explains why i'm dramatically underrated in this video game

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Smol posted:

The gently caress are you guys even talking about. Phases?

I thought this game was about clicking heads

It's a lunar eclipse tonight, yo. That's gotta be it.

I still feel like I'm the only person in the world who likes skins that are beat to hell.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZtCVpgfZhY

Don't mind me, just getting ready to go pro

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Faffel posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZtCVpgfZhY

Don't mind me, just getting ready to go pro

I see you choose the same p2k method I do, just keep shooting and hope for the best. Just the exact opposite of the patient tapping of the USP.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I just switched to the p2k so I have not developed any elegance with it. It's really nice having some spam power against the glocks though.

That was stattrak frags 6 to 11.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

I've switched back and forth between P2000 and USP-S depending on the skins I have. Currently using the latter, ST FN Caiman.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Yeah I won a stattrak handgun so I've been using that. I just can't click heads with it like the usp.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

BUBBA GAY DUDLEY posted:

Yeah I won a stattrak handgun so I've been using that. I just can't click heads with it like the usp.
I find USP-S headshots come naturally for me. It's the only gun I can consistently headshot with every time I use it, so I dunno.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Dualies every pistol round or bust

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Bohemian Nights posted:

Dualies every pistol round or bust
Used to buy Dualies+HE on CT side because I'll be damned if that isn't a way to rack up the damage.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
Beat up gun skins represent

They surprised me a few times lately with their tweaked accuracy.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

symbolic posted:

I find USP-S headshots come naturally for me. It's the only gun I can consistently headshot with every time I use it, so I dunno.

Same, but deagle.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I love the deagle with the new hit boxes and went from never using it, to using it quite often over the five seven.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
It is very likely that the ranking system works on a per round basis, but it's too difficult to say whether individual performance is relevant. I feel like it isn't.

You can generally mark a trend that you'll rank up in fewer games if you string together wins with big round differences. It's also a clue that the surrender system saves your exact scoreline. You can surrender while ahead in rounds and it counts as a win. It would also explain why you can't vote to surrender without a teammate abandoning, and a kicked teammate doesn't count, because it opens the door to abuse. You could just surrender every game where you get a few rounds lead and boost yourself like that relatively easily. Getting 12-3 as CT nuke and then surrendering etc.

• Locked thread