Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Alehkhs posted:

How quickly the wars of the past are forgotten. :froggonk:

I'm Drawing a blank here.... Care to fill me in?

Also it's a unlimited free server hosted by the LanFest Intel group so I figured it would be good for anyone wanting to voice chat since I can't read chat in VR.

Also +1 on the X52. The Pro has a better center sprint and a bit better build quality but otherwise looks almost exactly the same.

Just keep a can of electronic cleaner on had when the Rudder Pot gets dirty and needs a cleaning. Mine needed it since it was new almost but now works perfectly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Literally Kermit posted:

I have no less than three dedicated "shift" buttons - one for combat combos, one for targeting combos, and one for utility poo poo like the FSD and the landing gear and scoop.

I only use the keyboard to chat and to jettison cargo.

I think if I get some mad-money, I am going to get one of them steel battalion controllers and rig that poo poo up

I'm using the scheme from Crab in that link Typical Pubbie posted. It's pretty good so far. I don't understand how to navigate the menus though. I can do it with headlock on but when I turn that off, the nob to control the menus now controls the head. :confused: So I'm having to use the keyboard still to open the map and request docking and look at my different missions.

Trying to escape an interdiction was fun with the stick. Unfortunately I didn't immediately escape but I was able to get away with 10% hull and reach the station :supaburn:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
I map a bunch of stuff to Voice Attack so I don't have to juggle button shifts or whatever. Granted I use a CH setup and thus have like 40 buttons available, but it's fun to talk to my ship.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
Speaking of having lots of buttons, would CMDRs who have the saitek x-52 Pro or the x-55 rhino want to sound off about it yet again? I love my thrustmaster but i need more buttons. Amd toggles and also hats.

GaylordButts
Feb 19, 2009
Can confirm the X-52 PRO is rad, I've heard the X-55 has the same build quality issues the non-Pro X-52 does.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I have the X52 Pro and it's been working out pretty well for me. The little scrollwheel on the throttle sometimes acts up (basically it'll randomly think it's being scrolled down, even if it's actually scrolled up at the time) and sometimes holding down the pinky trigger makes it randomly trigger inputs on the top of the stick, but aside from that it's a good stick. Still haven't figured out how to make the little thumbstick on the throttle work in Elite, though.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I can't wait for this game to have multiplayer

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Drake_263 posted:

I have the X52 Pro and it's been working out pretty well for me. The little scrollwheel on the throttle sometimes acts up (basically it'll randomly think it's being scrolled down, even if it's actually scrolled up at the time) and sometimes holding down the pinky trigger makes it randomly trigger inputs on the top of the stick, but aside from that it's a good stick. Still haven't figured out how to make the little thumbstick on the throttle work in Elite, though.

The little thumbstick actually presents itself as a mouse, like those nipples on laptops. If you want to use it as an extra joystick, you need to do some registry fiddling, and it involves sacrificing another axis for it, because for some reason most game engines are crap (unfortunately this includes elite) and only support 8 axis per device (x52 already has 7 axis).

This post has the .reg in question if you're interested: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1060705&postcount=12 It sacrifices rudder, but if you edit it it's pretty self-explanatory IMHO and you can switch to something else if you need the twisty rudder.

e: Ooops, this is for the non-pro version. Pro version should be the same, but the path in registry is different. I can dig figure it out if you need it, but I don't have an x52 pro anymore, so I can't do it right now.

Truga fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Sep 28, 2015

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

EdEddnEddy posted:

I'm Drawing a blank here.... Care to fill me in?

You mean that you are a bit... scrambled? :crossarms:

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The CH Throttle has a little joystick that acts as two analog axes. I use it for vertical and lateral thrusters and it works extremely well.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Third World Reggin posted:

Why? What could we do together?

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Truga posted:

The little thumbstick actually presents itself as a mouse, like those nipples on laptops. If you want to use it as an extra joystick, you need to do some registry fiddling, and it involves sacrificing another axis for it, because for some reason most game engines are crap (unfortunately this includes elite) and only support 8 axis per device (x52 already has 7 axis).

This post has the .reg in question if you're interested: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=1060705&postcount=12 It sacrifices rudder, but if you edit it it's pretty self-explanatory IMHO and you can switch to something else if you need the twisty rudder.

e: Ooops, this is for the non-pro version. Pro version should be the same, but the path in registry is different. I can dig figure it out if you need it, but I don't have an x52 pro anymore, so I can't do it right now.

Eh, I appreciate the effort but I don't really need the little ministick - I was originally going to use it for eyepoint control, but then I got an 'Edtracker. Appreciate the sentiment, though!

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer

Alehkhs posted:

You mean that you are a bit... scrambled? :crossarms:

Perhaps he needs EGgstra information. :haw:

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Truga posted:

Wait a second, I have the X52 (non Pro) and both the little scroll wheel as well as the thumb nub (and button next to it) I have yet to get detected in the game. I am guessing it is because I don't have the X52 software installed, however both buttons and the nub do show up in the Game Controllers dialog in Windows so I don't know why Elite doesn't see it.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
The saitek driver defaults are set so the nub doesn't act as any directx axis. It does act as a mouse though, right? You can fiddle with registry and make it act as a normal 2 axis joystick, which will make elite detect it normally. It'll still act as a mouse at that point, but you can then disable that in the stupid saitek software.

That said, the nub precision is lovely, because it's an 8bits total thing, so 8 positions (4 bits) per axis, one of which is neutral. It works well enough for strafing in my experience, but it's only marginally better than just having a hat switch for that (and a hat switch is good enough, really).

Also, "saitek software" means just that. Saitek's drivers come with windows these days, the software is just extra if you want to do programming/macros.

As for mapping the mousewheel, I found the only way to do that was to make a macro in saitek's software to press some button. It works in some games, but absolutely refuses to register as a mousewheel in others. No idea why.

Direct input is arcane af at this point, probably in no small part because most engines still use the same code they used for dx7 when they were first written. An engine using the latest windows input stuff will handle a virtually infinite amount of axis and buttons, and it'll work with any sort of exotic thing (like a mousewheel on a throttle :v:), but these seem super rare, and there doesn't seem to be any discernable pattern from where I stand. For example last game where I had no issues mapping all 48 buttons on my stick was star citizen, which has me baffled, because cryengine is the last thing where I'd expect good support for controllers :confused:

Truga fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Sep 28, 2015

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Third World Reggin posted:

same

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

The HOTAS talk made me finally get off my rear end and make a non-lovely not drawn on graph paper button layout thing. Figured I'd share it. I use the CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. I love them to death and they made Elite a totally new game to learn all over again, but they can be pricey (~$230 for both on Amazon right now). I used an Xbox controller prior to this setup.

Lots of people talk about Thrustmaster and Saitek setups, but this is another good one.

Natsuumi fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 31, 2016

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

All this talk about hotas is making me want to upgrade mine. I have the Thrustmaster Hotas X and while perfectly adequate and still holding up well (apart from some buttons discoloring) after a year, I find myself wishing for a second hat switch or a couple more buttons that aren't there.

That, and precise control with that thing is a bitch. You can't expect much from a cheap 50$ hotas of course - the T16000 looks like a great deal being the same price with much better accuracy, but I'm not going back to a throttle-less setup. If only Thrustmaster made a T16000 HOTAS with a 2nd HAT switch and a few more buttons for about 100$, I'd be all over it, but it's just wishful thinking sadly.

So, bearing in mind that a) I'm in Europe b) I am not filthy rich c) I don't want to deal at all with failing lovely units from MadCatz d) I play on the couch so I'd rather have something that could be held togheter in one piece... what would my options be? X52 Pro and/or?

Edit: I see the CH Fighterstick... but isn't that a bit overkill on the hat switches?

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 28, 2015

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Very nice. However I have no idea how you would use the thumb thrust hat on the stick in any sort of combat where you need your thumb on the top of the stick. :/

Also Nice to see CH still looks exactly the same as the sticks they built in the early 90's.

Still have a CF FlightStick. 2 Buttons and a throttle. Woo! (Was perfect for Tie Fighter).

I still have the Thrustmaster FLCS and Mark II WCS from the old days as well. Still work, but they need a adjustable gamecard to get them to work correctly unfortunately. Need to look into how I can convert them to work on something newer.

These babies were the king for Falcon 3.0, Chuck Yeagers Air Combat, USNF (1994), Janes ATF, and other old school sims. Learning how to program the things and download them to the joystick was half of the gameplay.

The game Panzer Commander came with an upgraded joystick programmer for these guys to work in Windows that blew my mind, couldn't find anywhere else to get it at the time.

Now with sticks like the X52, G940, and any newer Logitech HOTAS, they look soo old in comparison, but they do still feel really good in hand.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Natsuumi posted:

The HOTAS talk made me finally get off my rear end and make a non-lovely not drawn on graph paper button layout thing. Figured I'd share it. I use the CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. I love them to death and they made Elite a totally new game to learn all over again, but they can be pricey (~$230 for both on Amazon right now). I used an Xbox controller prior to this setup.

Lots of people talk about Thrustmaster and Saitek setups, but this is another good one.

TorakFade posted:

All this talk about hotas is making me want to upgrade mine. I have the Thrustmaster Hotas X and while perfectly adequate and still holding up well (apart from some buttons discoloring) after a year, I find myself wishing for a second hat switch or a couple more buttons that aren't there.

That, and precise control with that thing is a bitch. You can't expect much from a cheap 50$ hotas of course - the T16000 looks like a great deal being the same price with much better accuracy, but I'm not going back to a throttle-less setup. If only Thrustmaster made a T16000 HOTAS with a 2nd HAT switch and a few more buttons for about 100$, I'd be all over it, but it's just wishful thinking sadly.

So, bearing in mind that a) I'm in Europe b) I am not filthy rich c) I don't want to deal at all with failing lovely units from MadCatz d) I play on the couch so I'd rather have something that could be held togheter in one piece... what would my options be? X52 Pro and/or?

Edit: I see the CH Fighterstick... but isn't that a bit overkill on the hat switches?

This is exactly where I am, I love my HOTAS X to bits but CQC kicked my rear end in, and I think its accuracy plays heavily into why I am such dog-poo poo at it. I was unable to get virtual joystick to work on my computer because Windows 10 but discovered there was a calibration tool from Thrustmaster so I have to see if that helped.

I want to say go x 52 pro but I don't want a lcd screen that does nothing. I love the layout of the x-55 but people say they have problems.

I might just save up extra and get the Warthog if i see it go on sale. Then try to make it work on Windows 10 :gonk:

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

TorakFade posted:

That, and precise control with that thing is a bitch.

If I remember correctly, that is the HOTAS that isinona uses for precise control in FA-OFF mode.

Then again, the guy is a robot that only communicates through subtitles and random beeps.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Isinona is also, you know, good.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Literally Kermit posted:

This is exactly where I am, I love my HOTAS X to bits but CQC kicked my rear end in, and I think its accuracy plays heavily into why I am such dog-poo poo at it. I was unable to get virtual joystick to work on my computer because Windows 10 but discovered there was a calibration tool from Thrustmaster so I have to see if that helped.

I want to say go x 52 pro but I don't want a lcd screen that does nothing. I love the layout of the x-55 but people say they have problems.

I might just save up extra and get the Warthog if i see it go on sale. Then try to make it work on Windows 10 :gonk:

The Warthog is awesome but really, really expensive. The X52 Pro looks to be the only one that's cheap (if you can call 200€ cheap...) and apparently doesn't melt in your hands, but I don't really trust Saitek..

I just went to thrustmaster's website and they have big banners about ELITE DANGEROUS, why don't they make a T16000 HOTAS drat them

double riveting
Jul 5, 2013

look at them go

TorakFade posted:

No.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I had the x52 non pro and it worked just fine. The pro basically has a better spring but I never heard of a broken spring in a joystick while for the accuracy and fine maneuvering (whoever cares) it's way more important to have quality sensors and drivers rather than a stiffer spring.

That being said, they are all plasticky and have written "soon your next paperweight" all over the place.

So I went all in with the CH setup and I'll never look back.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

The CH gear is fantastic. I've had the Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals for about a decade (bought them for IL-2 Sturmovik) and they work just as well as the day I bought them. They're extremely well made and well worth the price if you see yourself doing flight/space sims for years to come.

The CH sticks do not have twist rudders, so if you want to have 3 steering axes you'll either need to get pedals, or use the thumbstick on the throttle in lieu of pedals. Not as big a deal in a space game, but for realistic flight sims, particularly WW1-2, you'll want to get some pedals for precise yawing.

TorakFade posted:

Nope. Between weapon functions, energy balancing, targeting, etc. you can easily find use for all of them. Incidentally, it's modeled after the F-16 stick.

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin
Since everyone is talking X 52 pro's. Had anyone tried saitek's beta drivers for windows 10? I downloaded them but am anxious something crazy will happen if I plug it in...

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist

Shine posted:

I map a bunch of stuff to Voice Attack so I don't have to juggle button shifts or whatever. Granted I use a CH setup and thus have like 40 buttons available, but it's fun to talk to my ship.

I tried voice attack but I feel like I'm losing my mind every time I talk to my monitor

Plus I get the same issue I did with activating "Hey Cortana" with win10; they both seem to think I'm talking to them while I'm in mumble, when I said absolutely nothing of the sort

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Besides the center spring, the LCD for the X52 pro I don't see being that big of a deciding factor between the X52 non pro and Pro. You are almost never going to use it unless you really start using the Saitek Software and start mapping every single key ingame to all the possible combinations of buttons and profiles (since you can toggle between 3 sets of button combos on the fly on both sticks).

The default layout on the X52 is pretty much perfect for basic use, with me moving a few things to add chaff to a rotating dial on the throttle and removing the reverse toggle button to the slider. (forgot what I put in place on the reverse toggle button though, should probably figure out what it was....)

Also make sure if you use the X52(Pro) with Windows without the software, go into Controller Settings and make sure you turn off the Clutch button, or your Afterburner button will just strobe flash and not make boost noises like you would expect.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Shine posted:

The CH gear is fantastic. I've had the Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Pedals for about a decade (bought them for IL-2 Sturmovik) and they work just as well as the day I bought them. They're extremely well made and well worth the price if you see yourself doing flight/space sims for years to come.

The CH sticks do not have twist rudders, so if you want to have 3 steering axes you'll either need to get pedals, or use the thumbstick on the throttle in lieu of pedals. Not as big a deal in a space game, but for realistic flight sims, particularly WW1-2, you'll want to get some pedals for precise yawing.

Yeah I don't know, sounds overkill to me. I'm perfectly fine with the HOTAS X, I only need 4-5 more buttons and 1 extra hat switch plus more stick accuracy for under 150$... any more than that and I might as well splurge on the Warthog (which is out of the question at the moment). Actually I also really like the rocker switch on the throttle for yaw, I can't stand twisty sticks, feels wrong man.

Guess it's either risk it and get an X52 Pro that may or may not spontaneously burst into flames, or keep the HOTAS X :v:

Anyways, I was wondering - once Horizons drops, how will it be to drive a space buggy with a hotas? It doesn't exactly strike me as a ground vehicle friendly setup...

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Sep 28, 2015

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

I don't know why you would think a X52 would burst into flames. To everyone it may feel sort of cheap but overall mine has taken hours of Elite abuse and I only have just started sort of melting the rubber grip around my thumb on the stick. I am chalking that up to just old rubber since my stick is from 2004/5 era. The rest of the stick still feels solid and works great.

The only thing you may have to do after a while is POT cleaning with a good Electronic Cleaning Spray which is pretty easy to do if you ever need to.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Natsuumi posted:

You have "Target ahead" marked twice.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
My Saitek X-52 Pro owns. I love it dearly and would not trade it for any other HOTAS setup for this game. When I have the HTC Vive and am looking around my cockpit and can feel the exact same digital joystick represented in-game in my hands, all ya'll non X-52 pro havers are gonna be maximum jelly. :smug:

Also "feels cheap" is a hugely subjective thing for a lot of people. I disagree with that sentiment on this particular HOTAS setup. Many parts of the X-52 Pro are metal, all of the buttons have a solid feel when I use them, and there is spring tension on almost everything. My personal preference is that there would be even more spring tension on the main stick, which thankfully appears to be a simple mod: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TewzmOoysDw Depending on what you play however, spring tension is a "bad" thing. For instance, helicopter sim gamers prefer almost no spring tension, since a vast majority of their flight maneuvers require their stick not to remain centered or want to drift to center due to tension in order to maintain certain vectors in the helicopter. Again, it's all personal preference, and for the X-52 Pro this is something that is easily moddable to fit that preference.

Natsuumi
Jun 13, 2003

Natsuumi's gone.
I'm Cherlene now.

Bedshaped posted:

You have "Target ahead" marked twice.

Oops, thanks. Copy and pasting elements and forgetting to change text.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

lewtt posted:

I tried voice attack but I feel like I'm losing my mind every time I talk to my monitor

Plus I get the same issue I did with activating "Hey Cortana" with win10; they both seem to think I'm talking to them while I'm in mumble, when I said absolutely nothing of the sort

I assume you use Push To Talk in Mumble? Map that same button to "Hold to Stop Listening" in Voice Attack so that it'll ignore you when you're speaking to Mumble.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Shine posted:

I can't agree enough with this, I picked up a fighterstick last year because i was sick of the lovely precision of my old x45. Specifically its stiff centering and uneven acceleration which made small corrections very hard. The CH is a delight to use. It's sturdy, the precision and spring tension is fantastic for small adjustments, and the plethora of hat switches is great. Its not like you *have* to assign every direction of every hat if you really don't want to, but it gives you the option at least. I mean after all we're talking about HOTAS (hand on throttle and stick) setups, the whole point is to have every last control at your fingertips so you never have to move your hands away from the controls.

The only thing that's kept me from upgrading to the pro throttle is that if i replace my x45 throttle, I'll have to get a pair of rudder pedals for yaw. Either that or make the yaw control digital and not analog which would suck (though gaining analog control of maneuvering thrusters would be nice enough that I still might...). I should point out a twist joystick would have solved this as well, but I can't stand twist sticks and it was one of the things that made me get a CH stick in the first place. The nice thing about the pro throttle as well is its the only stand alone throttle that exists, so if you're really happy with something like a t1600 or whatever lone stick you have, you can just add on the CH throttle without buying an entire new setup.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
I went with the Logitech Extreme 3d pro budget option in the OP and I'm lovin it. For $20, I don't think you can do better than this.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

TwingeCrag posted:

I went with the Logitech Extreme 3d pro budget option in the OP and I'm lovin it. For $20, I don't think you can do better than this.

It's been the recommended budget stick in the War Thunder thread for years. Very good for the price.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Just got the game how the hell do I find anyone. surely it isn't tabbing through 1000s of spaceships in a system?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shine posted:

It's been the recommended budget stick in the War Thunder thread for years. Very good for the price.

Yeah it's great and the default mapping is intuitive

• Locked thread