Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teledahn
May 14, 2009

What is that bear doing there?

Keep the turrets in reserve, this fight has barely begun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I am really glad that the Huron Warrior that PTN gave me to pilot was better than this one, yeesh.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
Is there any way for us to know if the enemy jumped? The Helios could have done its movement either via jumpjets or by running.

Right, but onto Tower Defense Tactics:

I see a lot of support for tank busting. I could potentially hit the eastern brutus (either +9 or +10 to-hit, depending whether or not I clip only one or two of those intervening constructions) but it doesn't really seem that scary when compared to the western tanks which I could hit with a 10+. The Huron and the Helios make tempting targets in that they are relatively squishy and I could hit either with a +9 (depending on whether the Helios jumped or not) and the percentile increase for success between 10+ and 9+ is rather significant. On the other hand the only thing they have going for them is their gauss.

So I suppose it's a question of whether or not I want to gamble on the 10+ for more threatening targets (The Von Luckner in particular will be in long range of the battlements with its AC20 next turn unless we shave at least 2 MP off of it) or try and take the safer 9+ on the Huron. I'm sort of leaning on the Huron (Maybe focus it down with the Battlemaster since we're both in medium range of it with our big guns) unless the thread manages to convince me otherwise.

Technowolf posted:

1) Backing up into 0729/0629 and firing on the Von Luckner on 11s with LRMs

Why back up? I mean yeah, I suppose you're giving yourself a +1 modifier to be hit, but you're also moving just outside of medium range from the Von Luckner. If you stood still you could hit the Luckner with an 8+ (~42% chance of success) instead of +11 (~8% chance). I feel like moving hinders you more than it helps you in this case. I do admit I am too lazy to check all of the enemies and their respective distances from you, so it might be sensible to move away if you can remove yourself from range of the bigger guns.

Theantero fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Sep 28, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Teledahn posted:

Keep the turrets in reserve, this fight has barely begun.

Given that PTN gave away that BAP will reveal the turrets are online and that nothing on the board has BAP, it seems likely that whatever the reinforcement wave is will contain at least one BAP.

So while the turrets should stay in reserve for as long as possible, the best-guess strategy is to pull them out when this wave's mechs are passing them and not any longer.

Kial
Jul 23, 2006

Theantero posted:

So I suppose it's a question of whether or not I want to gamble on the 10+ for more threatening targets (The Von Luckner in particular will be in long range of the battlements with its AC20 next turn unless we shave at least 2 MP off of it) or try and take the safer 9+ on the Huron. I'm sort of leaning on the Huron (Maybe focus it down with the Battlemaster since we're both in medium range of it with our big guns) unless the thread manages to convince me otherwise.

I feel going for the easier shots is the winning tactic. You guys need to cut the numbers down.

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

This is a numbers game- you need to pare theirs down before they can overwhelm you.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Stand still and shoot. You need to make as many shots as you can, and while most of the enemy is still at long range is not the time to worry about getting that extra + 1 defensive modifier when you already have partial cover.

I'm sad that the Battlemaster is not the Plasma rifle armed version that we saw in the Rim Worlds Republic training scenario, as Plasma Rifles do horrible, horrible things to tanks.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

I see a lot of support for tank busting. I could potentially hit the eastern brutus (either +9 or +10 to-hit, depending whether or not I clip only one or two of those intervening constructions) but it doesn't really seem that scary when compared to the western tanks which I could hit with a 10+. The Huron and the Helios make tempting targets in that they are relatively squishy and I could hit either with a +9 (depending on whether the Helios jumped or not) and the percentile increase for success between 10+ and 9+ is rather significant. On the other hand the only thing they have going for them is their gauss.

I'm willing to be talked into supporting your shots on the Huron, but we're unlikely to break armor even with both of us shooting it this turn. It's being deliberately dangled as an easier target to try to take the heat off the tanks. Even if we don't score any crits on the Von Luckner, any motive damage means it can't get into AC/20 range next turn. IMO it's better to increase the odds of getting at least some motive damage through on it than to get the extra percentage chance of hitting the Huron this turn. That's especially true given that the Huron doesn't really have a good place to move next turn unless it veers away from the fortress; if it keeps approaching it can't get better than a +1 move modifier and we can shred it.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

Narsham posted:

I'm willing to be talked into supporting your shots on the Huron, but we're unlikely to break armor even with both of us shooting it this turn. It's being deliberately dangled as an easier target to try to take the heat off the tanks. Even if we don't score any crits on the Von Luckner, any motive damage means it can't get into AC/20 range next turn. IMO it's better to increase the odds of getting at least some motive damage through on it than to get the extra percentage chance of hitting the Huron this turn. That's especially true given that the Huron doesn't really have a good place to move next turn unless it veers away from the fortress; if it keeps approaching it can't get better than a +1 move modifier and we can shred it.

Well I was thinking that since the Catapult and Viking can team up and get all Macross on the Von Luckner with 8+ and 9+ shots respectively (if the Viking backs up one hex to 1128 it will be just barely within medium range of the Luckner), and they'll be using cluster weapons, they shouldn't need our help with the motives (I admit I haven't actually done the math here). I realize the Huron might be bait, but it's still a gauss that is closer to us than any other and thus a threat, and the jump from 9+ to 10+ on 2d6 is fairly significant.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Yea, for you guys on the right side, take the best shots you have. Focus firing is good, but you just plain need to take the best odds you have to get damage out on the opfor.

Depending on how smarting they are from losing 8 'Mechs to the earlier raid, they might not want to go fight to the death on this assault and may withdraw if they get crippled.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

So consensus is to stay still and missile the Von Luckner. Would it be worth it to fire my mediums at the Huron Warrior? I'd need 12s, but I'm in no danger of overheating and there is the chance of :battletech: happening.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Technowolf posted:

So consensus is to stay still and missile the Von Luckner. Would it be worth it to fire my mediums at the Huron Warrior? I'd need 12s, but I'm in no danger of overheating and there is the chance of :battletech: happening.

Sure why not?

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
If you're not overheating, no reason not to!

The dice might just decide you hard win like they did for us in the last scenario. (Seriously.. three headshots, two failed consciousness rolls that just needed 3s.)

Scintilla
Aug 24, 2010

I BEAT HIGHFORT
and all I got was this
jackass monkey
There is never not a reason to fire all of the lasers.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Always fire all weapons, doubly so if they dont use ammo and you won't overheat. Start killing loving things already baby drat.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Viva Miriya posted:

Always fire all weapons, doubly so if they dont use ammo and you won't overheat. Start killing loving things already baby drat.

No.

Always fire all energy weapons if they won't make you overheat. Only fire ammo-based weapons when you have a decent shot, or when the upside of hitting is huge. Getting reloaded is going to cost you probably two turns of movement at least, and if you run out of ammo right when the enemy is pressing hardest and getting into the fort, that'll suck a lot.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Theantero posted:

Is there any way for us to know if the enemy jumped? The Helios could have done its movement either via jumpjets or by running.

If the line's got sharp turns it's walking/running, if it's curved it's jump jets. If there's a place I can reach with running or jumping I'll tend to run just because jumping is usually a waste with something as slow as the Helios.

Leperflesh posted:

Always fire all energy weapons* if they won't make you overheat.

* Except TSEMP Cannons. Using the TSEMP cannons wisely will win the scenario, I have nothing that counters them.

The best counter to the TSEMP is a high movement mod

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I think PTN's universe is bleeding into the real world, because I was just forwarded a tech request for "PPC upgrades" in our system at work.

That, or it's just part of the Harebrained Schemes hype train for the Battletech Kickstarter dropping tomorrow. :getin: Truly, their advertising campaign is all encompassing.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Gwaihir posted:

Yea, for you guys on the right side, take the best shots you have. Focus firing is good, but you just plain need to take the best odds you have to get damage out on the opfor.

Depending on how smarting they are from losing 8 'Mechs to the earlier raid, they might not want to go fight to the death on this assault and may withdraw if they get crippled.

If they get crippled I bet HMS Warcrimes is going to show up again.

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

If HMS Warcrimes shows up again the Prefectorate Guard is going to lose two lances of mechs and one of vees to pure spite so either way it's a victory for Carlos.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

Well, I decided to shoot at the Huron. I think me and the Battlemaster shooting at it and the Viking and Catapult focusing on the Von Luckner is a fairly solid plan for the turn.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

SIGSEGV posted:

If HMS Warcrimes shows up again the Prefectorate Guard is going to lose two lances of mechs and one of vees to pure spite so either way it's a victory for Carlos.

It'd also mean they're all the way out here cleaning up another mess instead of hunting for Carlos, giving him a really good chance at ambushing more Prefecture troops.

I guess next turn's when the real action's finally going to start. I'm excited! This scenario promises to have a whole lot of shooting going on, at the very least. I suppose there has to be a real risk of not focusing targets down and spreading damage around too widely if they're not careful, do the Capellans have much in the way of options when their guys get damaged? Cover, high move mods, range, other ways to force the players to switch targets? I assume stuff like the Huron running out front and taking a potshot at literally everyone was meant to grab their attention away from more vulnerable targets.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Zaodai posted:

I think PTN's universe is bleeding into the real world, because I was just forwarded a tech request for "PPC upgrades" in our system at work.

ER, Heavy or Light?

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Theantero posted:

Well, I decided to shoot at the Huron. I think me and the Battlemaster shooting at it and the Viking and Catapult focusing on the Von Luckner is a fairly solid plan for the turn.

OK, that sounds reasonable. With that many LRMs firing one of them is bound to hit. We're going to have to kill the Huron sooner or later.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Dolash posted:

It'd also mean they're all the way out here cleaning up another mess instead of hunting for Carlos, giving him a really good chance at ambushing more Prefecture troops.

I guess next turn's when the real action's finally going to start. I'm excited! This scenario promises to have a whole lot of shooting going on, at the very least. I suppose there has to be a real risk of not focusing targets down and spreading damage around too widely if they're not careful, do the Capellans have much in the way of options when their guys get damaged? Cover, high move mods, range, other ways to force the players to switch targets? I assume stuff like the Huron running out front and taking a potshot at literally everyone was meant to grab their attention away from more vulnerable targets.

If they're damaged, don't have Jets, and the gate is clogged up, by, say, a shutdown unit, there's probably not a lot they can do other than just retreat behind one of the rock formations. (OR A CRANE!!!!)

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Gwaihir posted:

If they're damaged, don't have Jets, and the gate is clogged up, by, say, a shutdown unit, there's probably not a lot they can do other than just retreat behind one of the rock formations. (OR A CRANE!!!!)

A shutdown unit doesn't block anything but stopping in the hex it occupies.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Oh yea, they're friendlies. Well, the Capellans can keep Comstar from coming out of the gate at least :downs:

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

No.

Always fire all energy weapons if they won't make you overheat. Only fire ammo-based weapons when you have a decent shot, or when the upside of hitting is huge. Getting reloaded is going to cost you probably two turns of movement at least, and if you run out of ammo right when the enemy is pressing hardest and getting into the fort, that'll suck a lot.

Well I might be biased cause of last scenario. The dice like me.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Viva Miriya posted:

Well I might be biased cause of last scenario. The dice like me.

Dice hate it when people say things like that. :(

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

AJ_Impy posted:

Dice hate it when people say things like that. :(

I hope it means that goonlance is doomed to die. That and they spent turns shooting cranes instead of the enemy.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

AJ_Impy posted:

ER, Heavy or Light?

Commercial. :saddowns:

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

The only weapon you absolutely tape down the firing button for is streak SRMs.

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

And gauss rifles.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Viva Miriya posted:

And gauss rifles.

Every now and then you do find units that don't have excessive gauss rifle ammo.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Assuming you don't just dump it at the start of the scenario, aren't machine guns another weapon you might as well fire if there's even a vague chance of them hitting? You have a bazillion shots even with multiple machine guns and one ton of ammo and it's hugely explosive so even if it misses you're happy.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Zurai posted:

Assuming you don't just dump it at the start of the scenario, aren't machine guns another weapon you might as well fire if there's even a vague chance of them hitting? You have a bazillion shots even with multiple machine guns and one ton of ammo and it's hugely explosive so even if it misses you're happy.

Well... Unless you're the insane pirate mech with 20 machine guns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

That's just two Piranhas stapled together!

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Gwaihir posted:

Well... Unless you're the insane pirate mech with 20 machine guns.

I miss it already. We need it and Wrestlemech to make a return appearance.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Maybe next time we get a Clan scenario they'll have a Piranha.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Narsham posted:

I miss it already. We need it and Wrestlemech to make a return appearance.

I miss it too, but given how much work PTN already puts into this I think a mech that rolls for 24 individual weapons might been creating the Frankenstein's Monster of bookkeeping.

• Locked thread